Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic
Page: of 669

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2011 :  10:02:45 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Just a quick note hopefully will post more tomorrow...we had company come in for the weekend...But Kimberly if you want I will be happy to send you a scoby(Symbiotic Culture of Bacteria and Yeast ). I can send it in a small priority envelope if you wouldn't mind paying for postage. I have so many scoby's...I would love to share. Just let me know... and if you do want one I will be happy to share my recipe that has work wonderful for me.

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2011 :  07:02:58 AM  Show Profile
Penny that would be awesome!!!! Of course I'd be more than happy to pay postage. I'd love to see your recipe as well. Thank you!!!!

Excuse the mess & the noise, my children are making happy memories
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2011 :  11:07:23 AM  Show Profile
Mornin' All. We drove up to Oakhurst last night. Got here about midnight and now I'm up - doing laundry - and decided to sit on the porch and have my morning cuppa.

Y'all know that irritating iron incident? When it just peed all over the place - again. Well, gee, I was so tempted to “just show it” - and quit ironing forever as Kimberly suggested. But that wasn’t really going to pan out as my darling hubby likes ironed shirts for work and I like to indulge him.

PeggyAnn, I do NOT want my iron pooping all over the place. Anyway, I'm addicted to the steam. Penny, I tried your “cup half empty, cup half full" suggestion. Cherime backed you up. And, so-far-so-good. It seems to have WoRkEd! Kisses, kisses! Yay! I went back yesterday and ironed for hours without an incontinent incident. Thank you, thank you!

Julie, you are so organized. Wow. I might just have to make more of an effort after reading about your day. But then again, I think I was very efficient once upon time. Now I make lists - and sometimes I can even remember look for the list. Whatever works!

Angela, I'm saying "Thank you, God", for the resiliance of little ones. Quite a scare.

Tammy - Madame Butterfly - those little ones are adorable. Please keep us laughing with their sweet "moments." Oh, and thanks much for the muffins and tea. Really different and really good!

Kimberly, it sounds like you like going to town about as much as I like going to Costco. I go for a couple of items and come out with a trunkload. I can’t afford to save so much money! Thanks for telling PeggyAnn about the Kombucha. Sounds healthy. I didn’t have a clue as to what it was either. Penny, does it really taste like apple cider - or are you just trying to get us to try it? :-)

By the way, Penny - your Jiggy is something else! Whatta horse! Love the picture and love his name, too.

Megan, are you real? With all you do - you also play (on a national level) rugby?!!! Wow.

Hey, Staci - I was thinking about you. PeggyAnn said being a church secretary was one of her favorite jobs. Mine, too. In spite of the challenges.

I heard that I touched many lives just by being there to listen and care. I am still in contact with many of those members - albeit on a different level. Last week I ran into a woman who is still a member at the first church I worked at. Outwardly, this woman appears to be strong, even tough and happy and competent. Inside she was about to burst. She said she felt God had completely forgotten her. She shared the tragic death of her daughter last Christmas, the Parkinson's of her husband and now having custody of her daughter's son - who has Down’s Syndrome. They are looking for a smaller home as they need to scale back. She thanked me, tears running down her cheeks, for being there (in Chico's), for listening and for the hugs.

I was privileged to be a part of the lives of those people and although there were difficulties at times - I was blessed to be used at those churches. I pray that God will continue to use all of us - somehow.

Luanne, Hooray! The power is on! I heard you cheering clear to California! I hope everyone bailing out after Irene's havoc is feeling encouraged now that she's taken her leave. Now, our sisters in Louisiana and Mississippi are going to have Lee drop in without being invited. Southern hospitality can only be stretched so far. We are holding our breath, here, that you will escape destruction and just get a bit wet. Keep us posted as you can. You are in our prayers.

Okay, off the porch now, to really start the weekend. Since we forgot the cooler bag, with most of our food for the weekend, in the fridge when we left Cupertino last night - we are going to have lunch out. (What was that I was saying about making lists?) Then, we are off to a Renaissance Faire (a small scale one) that will benefit the Manna House here in Oakhurst. Then I understand we will head to Mariposa for the county fair … and then there is a Peddler's Fair (antique market) in Coarsegold this weekend, then friends are having a barbecue. Whew.

Laundry has to go in the dryer. See you all sometime Tuesday. Maybe sooner if I can. Have a wonderful weekend, all.

Sister #3284 - on her Tippie Toes - oxox, Darlys

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.

Edited by - darlystippie on Sep 03 2011 11:15:55 AM
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2011 :  11:47:31 AM  Show Profile
I must be insane!!!

I guess I thought things were too calm?!?

I am throwin a labor day BBQ!

I have 20 people comin for burgers and dogs and all my girls are stayin at grandma's house except for the baby. I have to do all the cookin and prep work without help. Hubby is here, but he has outside duty. He cleans and sets up the deck and preps the yard for the little ones, removin limbs and mowin and stuff.

I chose a simpler menu than normal. Burgers, dogs, sausages, chicken, and steaks for the grill. Salad, baked beans, corn on the cob, and cole slaw for the sides. Fruit salad and chocolate chip cookies for the desserts.

Hubby will be mannin the grill. I chose these wonderful boxes with 4 different leaf lettuces in them for the salad. The heads are whole minus the roots, so they keep for a long time and taste really fresh. That way they can be used for the sandwiches or for the salads. I even cheated and bought precut veges for the salads and cole slaw from the deli, which I have never done before. The baked beans are frozen left overs from the last couple of dinners.

I decided when I found myself in charge of this whole mess, which I'm still convinced was Hubby's idea, that I was gonna enjoy this one instead of really workin the whole time. It won't be my best meal, but it should be fine and a lot more relaxin than usual.

I have to start on my menu and plannin for the Thanksgiving dinner this weekend as well. I always start it on labor day weekend and make and freeze as much as possible ahead of time.

Anyone else thinkin of the holidays yet? I've even started plannin and makin gifts for Christmas.

I hope everyone's long weekends go well and safe. I'm prayin for the clean up jobs goin on and the safety of all the people in the way of the storms still.

I'm off to marinade the chicken and steaks! Come by tomorrow night for lots of great grilled food! I always plan twice the needed food so we can use it for lunches for the next week, so there will be tons of food!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2011 :  1:02:18 PM  Show Profile
OK Darlys and Angela...ya both wore me to a frazzle just reading your schedules for the weekend.

I will have to come back later after I recouperate! LOL

blessings,
Peg

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

"Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch"

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be joyous, to be passionate, and to Be His!
Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2011 :  1:42:00 PM  Show Profile
Peggy I think I will join you...they make me tired just reading...lol...we can recouperate together.

Ladies I do hope you take some time to relax yall are hard working sisters

love to you all
Tammy

Tea is like being in the stars with God.

Visit my blog~The View From Within
http://frommyteacup.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2011 :  4:48:27 PM  Show Profile
Oh, my, Angela! THAT's your idea of simple menu? Lordy, girl, what do you do when you don't keep it simple? (Perhaps I shouldn't ask!) Well, you have a ton of fun ... (and, by the way, it WAS hubby's idea - he's such a sweetie, though.)

Hey PeggyAnn and Tammy - Does my weekend sound busy? Actually, all I have to do is bring my wallet and my walking shoes.

My sweetie drove to the Renaissance Faire (not far) after lunch out. Our BFFs came along. It was a small event, but fun. We MAY go to Mariposa for the county fair tomorrow after church. Unless we fade ... it's warm here this weekend - mid-nineties. Might just take a glorious, leisurely, long nap instead. And, as for the Peddler's Fair, I just decided that I really don't need to do that this weekend. Too many people vieing for parking places.

Someone left a keg of beer on the porch. Cold and fizzy. It sounds good, and thank you, but I think I'll wander over to the wine bar. Get a load of this - look over the south railing! There's a grape stomp - ala 'I Love Lucy' - going on in the vineyard! There are chocolate tidbits at the bar that they are pairing with the wine. (They're pouring the stuff that's already been bottled - and is ready - not the stuff they're stomping.) Irresistable.

My girlfriend said she already has supper ready to serve. The 4 of us will play Sequence 'til the Grand Champs claim victory (gals partnered against the guys). If the gals win, we get to go shopping. If the guys win, the gals get to go shopping.

I am thinking - just a little - about the holidays, Tammy. The day after the Junque Sale Larry and I are off to Maui for 2 weeks, returning home the Sunday before Thanksgiving. And Thanksgiving family dinner is at my house (in Cupertino). So, I do have to plan a little bit ahead. If I play some Christmas music it will put me in the mood.

We have an extra day here this weekend - so nice. I wasn't going to get online anymore this weekend - but I couldn't resist. Hubby is taking a pre-dinner nap and I'm about to.

We will head back to the Bay Area late Monday night.

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.
Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2011 :  04:29:38 AM  Show Profile
Gonna be out of touch for a bit. Remodeling bathroom. Major project must be done by tomorrow evening. So up before dawn's early light. Certainly a labor day for me. Blessings to all.

CMF
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2011 :  09:48:18 AM  Show Profile
good morning everyone. Not much going on in my world. Pretty quiet compared to all you busy farmgirls.

Darlys, you are not far from my last address in Groveland. I'm still waiting for the bank to get my short sale done. I miss my house but not the hot weather.

Angela, I would say you have too much work, but I wish I had 20 people to throw a BBQ for. How wonderful to be able to enjoy a day with so many friends. Just don't over do it!

So glad our East coasters are getting it all turned back on. Hopefully things will calm down a little?

Peggy I'm with you.. these guys wear me out just reading about all the work they do. But then I remember having quite a bit more energy when I was home with kids.

Spent the day out yesterday with a friend. We went to breakfast, hit the farmers market, although a very small one. I bought some local honey. She grew up here so knows almost everyone we meet. Hanging with her helps me meet new people. We went to a high school football game last night. Her husband was the coach. Nice to get out of the basement for a while.
My mom is having shoulder surgury on Thursday. I'll be back to being housekeeper,chauffeur,cook and what ever else is needed. I told her the only thing I won't do is bath her.. she has to find someone else to do that. Thankfully she has a friend that is nurse and helped her before. But I'll have 6 weeks of servitude. In November she is driving to Utah for my nephews wedding so I'll have the house to myself for probably a month. Yea! My son is coming up to spend Thanksgiving with me. We will have the house to ourselves. I'm looking forward to it.
He just got accepted into the operating engineers apprenticeship program. He has been trying for 10 years. His boss at Snapon is pretty ticked off. I told him the only reason he is mad is because he is losing his play money. My son has totally turned the route around and it is making money. His boss is done every day at 3:30pm and goes home. My son works until 9pm. He has been putting in almost 12 to 14 hours a day. Funny thing is with as upset as his boss is for him leaving, he has offered no incentive for him to stay. My son is looking forward to his first real job. Union wages, retirement, medical, vacation. Plus he will be doing something he loves, driving heavy equipment.

Anyway, yesterday was my day off, so I have to get back to work sewing today.

Have a wonderful weekend! Stay safe and have fun.

Bunny

www.bunnyrose.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2011 :  1:20:21 PM  Show Profile
OK My Porchies...here is a Little Holiday Humor For YOU...ENJOY!!!

7 Signs you're having a Hot Flash

1. Your iced tea just started to boil.
2. Your husband says you look “steamed.”
3. The lifeguard called you “one hot mama” - but he meant it literally.
4. The dial on your AC reads, “High as it goes, Lady.”
5. Fire alarms go off whenever you enter a room.
6. Is that smell your eyebrows burning?
7. You're considering taking up permanent residence in your freezer.

Farmgirl #1326

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be joyous, to be passionate, and to Be His!
Go to Top of Page

22angel
True Blue Farmgirl

498 Posts

Pam
Manitoba
Canada
498 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2011 :  6:13:53 PM  Show Profile
Lots of catching up to do when one is gone for a week! Good to hear everyone made it safe & sound through Irene...So much to comment on but my brain is a little slow tonight! Thinking it's early to bed tonight - yay!

My holidays weren't too bad...didn't get as much "me time" as I was hoping for, and it was cold & rainy for most of the week (for Wed, Thurs, Fri, I had to wear jeans, socks & shoes!!!). I did get a massage & a visit with one of my friends though...

I thought this was kind of funny: My nephew (who will be 8 in a month) said to me on Monday "Look Aunty, the flies like piggy back rides too!". Too funny.

Tomorrow I am doing a couple loads of laundry that I didn't get done yesterday, putting things away properly & cleaning my car.

I found a couple of magazines that I thought were really interesting: Mother Earth News & The New Pioneer (which was a crazy price of $12.99!!! But I bought it anyways, since I thought it might be helpful in the "farm area"). Mother Earth News has an article about starting a self-sufficient one-acre homestead, which I thought was really cool, along with some other great articles. I quite enjoyed reading them & will read them a few more times I'm sure lol.

I wonder if I can get my shawl done this week??? What are the chances....since I didn't get it done & got confused so many times...I found a different one to do that is much simpler, so maybe I can get it done...who knows.

I don't have anything to leave for a snack, but maybe tomorrow I will. We'll see how energetic I get (and now that I have a freezer, I can make stuff that I don't have to eat in 3 or 4 days!!)....

Life isn't about finding yourself. It's about creating yourself.

"When I grow up, I want to be dirt." seen on a box through construction in Wyoming 2010
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2011 :  7:20:46 PM  Show Profile
Darlys- oh my...I can't believe you're in Oakhurst! That is where we dream of moving to. It's just the most beautiful place up and around there. Hopefully one day. I'm so jealous!

Well ladies, usually I have a lot of blah blah blah to talk about but not tonight. Why? Because there's freakin FIRES all around me! Not much rattles me but fires do. I asked for prayers in the prayer forum and I'm asking here too. There's been almost no rain all summer. Most of the plants, grasses and trees are dead. We're receiving high winds blowing towards my house. We live in the country with only one main road to get out. DH and DD are not back from out of town yet which makes my inner chicken come out more.

I'm going to go watch a movie and knit like a mad woman to try to take my mind off of these disasters.

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2011 :  7:50:23 PM  Show Profile
Julie...praying for you and yours, Farmgirl. Like you...our hands are tied...we can't stop the fires
blazing all around you but God can keep you safe in the midst of the fire-storms. Keep remembering the story of the boys in the Firery Furnace and who was walking inside the flames with those Israelite boys.
He is walking beside you too.

blessings,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2011 :  12:54:18 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Hey all, there is so much to catch up on after 3 days...so I will try to do my best but if I miss something please forgive me.

Cherime, I really do wonder sometimes what my animals think...guess I will never know. Hurry back, sure we will be here..hope you don't work to hard on that bathroom

Angela, so glad to hear that the little one is better and back to her old self...kiss the boo boo for me...lol I place all my stuff in the freezer, it seems to be the only way I can keep those bugs out.

Staci, I really think he must have know the people in Clinch mountain the way the books were written...

Elaine, glad to hear you are getting things back to some kind of normal...good luck sorting and donating...that's a tough job. Yea Jiggy is always doing something funny like that, wish I could get more pics of him being his funny self, but sometimes he is quicker than I am with my phone or camera.

Julie, There is a little difference in the store brand of kombucha and the home brewed...I like the home brewed better. Oh what you found at the store sounds wonderful...I love old things like that. Thanks for the beer, seems we are on the same wave length for labor day..lol

Kimberly, I sent you an email....and will get it to you soon. I'm glad I can share

Darlys, that is such a sad story about the lady from church...bless her, I will keep her in my prayers too. Sure hope you had a great time at the fair...oh and without a list I think I would forget everything...but I'm sure you will make do...just enjoy your time there. Oh my, can I hide in your bags and go to Maui too...lol So who won the game.....???? and did ya'll go shopping...rofl

Angela, if that is a simpler meal, I can't even imagine what a complex one is...wow, girl...and thank you, love grilled food.

PeggyA, I just love the 7 hot flashes...wow.

Tammy, I'm with you and Peggy, reading all this has made me tired...

Bunny, I am happy to hear your son will be doing something he loves...that makes it better...funny how his boss doesn't even think about offering him something to stay...he will miss him when he is gone. I know you and your son will have a wonderful thanksgiving..I'm so happy for you...enjoy.

Pam, your nephew sounds like a real sweetie...sorry you didn't get much "me" time...it really is important, maybe soon you will. I get Mother Earth News and really like it...I haven't seen the other one. It amazes me sometimes how expensive mags are... Good luck on the shawl, I'm sure you will get it completed soon. I also have to use very simple patterns when I crochet...don't wear yourself out to much trying to play catch-up.

Julie, many prayers and kind thoughts to you and the people around you. I understand, fire frighten me too. Please keep us posted.. big hugs to you.

I'm off to start reading my new book I got Sat in the mail. So many people have been talking about the book and the movie "The Help" so can't wait to get started. Hopefully I will check back in soon. I have so much to do and have been busy most of the morning, but going to take a bit to read.

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2011 :  6:22:30 PM  Show Profile
Good Evening Ladies! So far so good. The fire is still moving towards us but we haven't been ordered to evacuate. One friend had to evacuate and they are 45 minutes from my house. We have packed everything important (papers/documents, pictures, a week's worth of clothes, and toilet paper). I figure if we have to leave it will be in the wee hours of the morning. We have a plan of action, so I think we are ready.

I hope everyone else had a nice day off and did something fun. We actually had nice weather with 90 degree temps. Kinda funny but we were enjoying it since we had 111 degrees the other day.

I'm off to work on my blanket for awhile. Have a good evening!

Julie

Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2011 :  6:26:19 PM  Show Profile
Hi Gals, we're experiencing temps in the 60's today and 50's tonight, so I'm sitting here sipping a cuppa Cream-Earl-Gray with a splash of cream and a dollop of honey,and trying to catch up on all the posts. We had such heat&humidity last week that I had summer complaint and almost sunstroke trying to do laundry and pick tomatoes and...my-o-my, I'm just past the age of doing those things anymore when it's hot. Heat is my enemy now that I'm older, not that we were ever friends, but, good grief, it's gotten so much worser(haha)in my 50's. So I've been down and fighting my way back outta that dark place. I've enjoyed reading all the newsy posts and laughed at all the humor and yet am saddened and heavy-hearted by all my Sister's pain & burdens & worries!I read something once...let's see if I can remember how it goes...."Don't let yourselves be weighed down by the cares and battles of this life. I know the enemy is tough, but I've read the Good Book, and in the end,I know Who wins!"
That has carried me thru some tough times. I repeat it over and over and it calms me when the battle is raging for my very soul! I hope it helps someone else!
Blessings to you all!
I love you!

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
"Why couldn't I have been born Rich instead of So Good Looking?"

Edited by - herblady55 on Sep 05 2011 6:30:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2011 :  8:51:34 PM  Show Profile
My computer just ate my post...will be back tomorrow when I cool down!

blessings,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2011 :  9:40:36 PM  Show Profile
Peggy,

Try copying and pasting your posts. I write most of mine on notepad. That way if the computer is acting up I always have a spare copy. Especially for the long ones. Sorry you lost yours.

Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2011 :  05:56:53 AM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Oh PeggyA, I am so sorry...I started copying mine every little bit so that I don't loose it..Julie, I am going to see about using notepad, I haven't thought of that..thanks

Judy, I like that quote, thanks for sharing it. I understand about the heat, I am like you, since I got in my 50's I can't take much either. Please take care of yourself in the heat. I helped DH finish the porch on the front of the house Sat. Using the nail gun and the hammer and sweating like crazy. Started seeing some spots so had to cool down..and dang got an ugly blister on my thumb.

Julie, Please be careful. I hope that ya'll stay safe and the fire doesn't get any closer to you...I will keep you in my prayers.

I need to get up and get busy, lots to do today, but not feeling it...lol...so might sit awhile longer...

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2011 :  06:35:55 AM  Show Profile
Hello My Porchies...I am going to start saving...every little bit too. So frustrating but I know you
have all experienced it one time or another.

Julie...glad to hear that you put your fear in to action and prepared for possible evacuation. Smart Girl!
Fires are a very scary thing and not to be taken lightly. Still praying for you. ~ What kind of blanket did you say you were making?

Judy...even though I love hot weather, I noticed that I was very nauseated all last week (when we finally got summer weather). This week is suppose to be our hottest weather of the year...so, I am going to make sure that I am very hydrated and watch how long I am out in the sun. I think age really does make a huge
difference in how well we can tolerate the heat.

Well, DH goes back to work today. I am going to try to start working on my Fall Tags for a swap. I have
little bits of inspiration racing around in my head...so, I think I better try to translate it to paper
while it's there on my mind.

It is our 26th Anniversary today! Our Anniversary is any easy one to kind of get lost in the midst of Labor Day Weekend, back to school, fall clean-up...you name it...it just seems to get lost in all the shuffle of
early September. We usually don't make a big fuss over it (except last year...I got a new wedding set for
our 25th Annivesary.) We usually just exchange cards, hugs and kisses and that is it. Eating out is no big deal to us...because we eat out a lot. But I can still say, I'd marry him all over again. They don't get much better than him! And I should know...it took me three times too finally find My Mister Right!

Have a Beautiful Day My Sweet Porchies...and enjoy what ever your hands find to do.

blessings,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2011 :  09:13:14 AM  Show Profile
Julie, I'll say a prayer for you. Having the fire that close is scary. I've been there before. Smart to have everything packed and ready. But I hope you don't have to go.

Peggy, I feel for you and the heat. I'm facing 90+ this week too. I don't do well in heat either. My dream is to someday live where it doesn't get that hot... ever!

Not much going on here... thankfully no drama. However, my mom is talking about not going to Utah now. Bummer, but I'm not surprised. She pretty much bails on anything that takes any kind of effort. I just feel bad for my sister. She is looking forward to having my mom there to help with the wedding. I know she is going to be really mad if my mom doesn't go. I told her she should make the effort. My sister will spend thanksgiving alone if she doesn't go. Hopefully she will change her mind. I could use the break here too.
My mom is getting ready for her surgery. She is spending the next two days doing errands. Of course getting her out of bed before 10AM is unlikely.
Anyway, working in the cool basement today then the big grocery shopping trip late this afternoon.

Stay safe farmgirls.

Bunny

www.bunnyrose.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

staci860
True Blue Farmgirl

838 Posts

Staci
Newville PA
USA
838 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2011 :  09:56:44 AM  Show Profile
Hello Sweet Ladies,
It's good to pop out and catch up with you all.

Julie - praying that you are safe. Please, please don't take any chances.

Peggy - Happy Anniversary!!!

Darlys - I really do enjoy my job at the church. Some days are just more challenging than others. But they are my (dysfunctional) family and I love them.

We're getting rain from tropical storm Lee right now. He got here yesterday and is supposed to take his time moseying on through. My DH is home, hard to work construction in driving rain. Hoping/praying that his boss will figure something they can do for the rest of the week. No play = no pay. I know we'll be fine and I'm actually more concerned about the folks to the NE - they haven't even begun to dry out yet and so much more is on the way. We're saturated and could get anywhere from 3 - 6 inches of rain the next day or so and we got off easy here last week.

Praying for rain where it's needed and sun where it's too wet. love, hugs and...
Blessings, staci FG# 973
:o )

Joshua 24:15 - ...choose this day whom you will serve,...as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.

Edited by - staci860 on Sep 06 2011 12:09:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2011 :  6:30:51 PM  Show Profile
Good Evening Ladies! Your prayers are working. The firefighters are gaining control a little bit at a time. There are no longer evacuations for my county. For the biggest fire (16 miles long and 6 miles wide) they have brought in some special airplane that holds 12,000 gallons of water. There are only 2 of these planes in the world. It's really amazing to read about how people rush to help others and offer so much hospitality. Many, many people have used their own money and equipment to help rescue and move horses and other animals. They are letting them stay for free on their land. It's very heartwarming. I pray we will get rain. Otherwise, this won't be the last huge wildfire.

Peggy- My blanket is one I am knitting for the intermediate knitting badge. I've never knitted a blanket and it feels monumental. It looks very intricate with intimidating stitches but I'm taking it slowly and the stitches really aren't that hard after all. I still have more than half to finish. I was hoping it would be done by winter but I don't think so. Happy Anniversary to you!

Today I went to the farmer's market and had a good time talking with the other vendors and DD got to play with the other kids. Didn't make much money this time, but I like to go to get out of the house and see people.

Hope you have a great evening.

Julie

Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2011 :  7:18:10 PM  Show Profile
PeggyAnn - Happy Anniversary. Sounds like you celebrate sort of like we do. We are heading into our 11th year come December. And, I - like you can say -- 3rd time's the charm.

I have only a moment but wanted to jump on and say my prayers are with you in fire areas. Even when you aren't in the path, the smoke and debris in the air can be miserable. Praying for your safety - and that of the animals.

Also, still in my prayers are those hit by Irene and -- though it sounded less severe -- Lee.

Julie! You know about Oakhurst! It IS a little slice of heaven. We call it the "sweet spot" above the fog and below the snow. Although we do usually get a little bit of snow -- lovely at Christmas. Doesn't last though.

Staci - I truly know what you mean. So does PeggyAnn. Those of us who have worked in a church or similar setting get so invested in the people that they become family .... with all that that entails.

Say there, girlfriends, stay well, get well - glad you are better - take it easy. And, CJ, please know that prayers are with you, too.

Lovin' the "idea" of autumn approaching. Still warm here though.

I know where Groveland is, Bunny. We go past Sonora on 49 going from son's place (in Pine Grove) up by Jackson to Oakhurst. Groveland's just a stone's throw from Sonora.

Hey Penny, the gals went shopping (Well, I went to Amazon online - almost the same thing as shopping.) -- we lost. Started out high-fiving but got too cocky, I guess. The guys whupped us by 3 games. (I think we played about seven games.) We love Sequence. Our board game of choice. And, girlfriend, I'd love to pop you in one of my Maui bags. We'd have a reeeel goood time!

I'm with you, ladies, who wear socks to bed in cold weather! When we remodeled our bathroom a few years back I had the heat thingy installed under the tile so as to keep the floor in there at about 82 degrees. An indulgence I'm really glad I afforded myself. (Hubby doesn't give a rip. He can stand having cold tootsies. Not me.)

Okay, okay -- I was going to get it anyhow. Everybody's talkin' 'bout it. My girlfriend thought she had a copy of The Help to give me but turned out she must have loaned it out and doesn't recall who she lent it to. So, I got on Amazon.com this morning and ordered The Help, Sugar Queen (recommended by someone over in the Reading Room) - and that came recommended on Amazon as a trilogy. So, I spent almost $35 and got all four - but, hey, no tax (yet) and free shipping. I have a Kindle that I won in a drawing - but it just isn't the same as holding a book and using whatever I can find for a bookmark. Maybe I'll take it to Maui in November. That will keep the baggage weight down and maybe I can fit Penny in there. But then again, we always go to Barnes and Noble when we are there .... and on ... and on.

There goes my minute. If I didn't catch up with you yet, forgive me and give me another chance tomorrow.

Lasagna (almost from scratch-I cheat and bump up the sauce with Paul Newman's Sockaroni spaghetti sauce) and garlic toast for dinner tonight.

Go to Top of Page

22angel
True Blue Farmgirl

498 Posts

Pam
Manitoba
Canada
498 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2011 :  7:33:20 PM  Show Profile
Good evening ladies :).

PeggyAnn - Happy Anniversary! May you have many more happy years together!

Julie - hope you guys are safe!

Bunny - I hope your mom decides to go visit your sister. Sounds like she can be a trial at times....

I finally got my stuff all tidied up & put away from the week of holidays - laundry is completely done (washed, dried, folded & put away), reusable bags & "winter blanket" (that I used last week on my air mattress) are back in the car, had a lame supper of cheese & crackers & rice cakes, got a new anti-virus program going, and so now I'm relaxing a bit. I had a surprise in the mail yesterday (since I didn't get my mail all of last week) - 2 Mary Jane's Farm magazines! And a Kraft's What's Cooking magazine :). So last night when I couldn't sleep (due to the crazy nap I had at 4:30), I read Mary Jane's Farm :). That was nice. I met my new "neighbor" & lent her some vanilla for her muffins :).

Tomorrow (after work) I think I'm going to do up my dishes & do my last load of laundry. I want to try to stay caught up, so I'm considering joining Flylady.net...I've used it before, I just need a "schedule" to stay on top of things, b/c I seem to be very unmotivated to do housework lol. Since I'm by myself, it doesn't usually matter. But I would like to have a clean, tidy place in case ppl come over.

Almost time for bed I think. Finish my cup of bourbon street vanilla tea, then I think it's bed time. Have a good night all!

Life isn't about finding yourself. It's about creating yourself.

"When I grow up, I want to be dirt." seen on a box through construction in Wyoming 2010
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 669 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page