Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic
Page: of 669

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2011 :  08:51:54 AM  Show Profile
Bunny let us knowhow you first day goes. I got my paralegal courses after going to work for the law office. Silly guys didn’t even know they needed one. Took me two days to figure that out after starting work. We split the costs of my schooling. But I sat down front. No distractions and I could fully concentrate on the material.

Kathleen, keep on that guy. Good job not taking garbage jut because you are a woman.

Peg, I really do need to keep on those stupid vitamins but remembering is the hard part for me. I am usually flying out or around doing something and all slips the old little gray cells. My retail therapy took me to Sears. Went to the tool section AND there marked way down because someone had bought it for one job and then returned it less a few important items like the owner’s manual was a lovely lonely little plunge router. It begged me to take it home. I went on line to order the owner’s manual and believe this one, Sears would not ship it to Alaska, ground shipping only. Well phoeey on them. Called my sister in Oregon, got her OK and had all shipped to her. I should get it shortly. The rest of the order was a plastic guard for it and three screws. Ground shipping only????Weird.

Blessings all and prayers.

CMF
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2011 :  09:58:50 AM  Show Profile
Cherime...ground shipping only, give me a break! Must admit...your retail therapy sounds like "work" where
mine is always a total indulgence. Just little things, but even a bottle of nail polish sor some new stickers to make a mailing envelope more cheery...can make me happy. I have always believed that it is the "little things in life" that are truly the big things when all is said and done.

Kimberly...hope your bread turns out divine. Don't you just love the smell of bread baking in the oven??
oops Penny, I said the "B" word myself. I am not even suppose to be thinking about bread let alone smelling it or eating it. Enjoy some for me Kim or leave some on the Porch and I will smell and eat virtually. lol

Judy...loved your line, "My back goes out more than I do". You are so bloomen funny! Yes, we are getting old but I have decided that I plan to live in denial. I turn 60 next month but feel 110 most days...so hey, what's a number anyway? If we are only as old as we feel them I am 110. Man, I look good for my age. lol

Well, My Porchies I got my Fall Tags half way done last night...hope to finish them up today, but can't find one item that I need and I'm tired of hunting for it...so maybe I will just go take a nap.

Later Lovely Ladies,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

"Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch"

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be joyous, to be passionate, and to Be His!
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2011 :  11:54:30 AM  Show Profile
Peg, you sound like me...I love buying stickers. It's hard to find Farm-stickers. I would love to find tractor stickers. I went to Pat Catans and all they had is Farm-animal ones. Maybe a scrapbook shop would have them. Or maybe someplace on-line. Any ideas girls?

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
"Why couldn't I have been born Rich instead of So Good Looking?"
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2011 :  3:14:05 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Judy when I was at Joann's fabrics a few weeks ago I did see some tractors in their scrapbook section...

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...
Go to Top of Page

Bushel n Peck
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

Tracy
Truly MT
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2011 :  3:17:09 PM  Show Profile
Hi porchies!
Long time no posting :/

I'm in the middle of making Julia Child's Boeuf Bourguignon. It smells heavenly, but there should be a warning at the top of the recipe:
"This takes all flippin' day and uses every flippin' pot and pan you own!"

my blog: http://bushelnpeck.blogspot.com

Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at the testing point.
C. S. Lewis

Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2011 :  4:01:57 PM  Show Profile
Tracy...that is so funny! Did you see the movie Julie and Julia?

What inspired you to try her Boeuf Bourguignon??? I am more of a 4 ingredient cook! I like to keep it simple and especially the older I get. Let us know if it tastes as good as it smells! Also, maybe someone
else in the family will volunteer to clean up all the "flippin pots and pans" since you went to all the
trouble to fix them a fabulous meal. lol Or if not...you could volunteer them!

Love having you back!

blessings,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be joyous, to be passionate, and to Be His!

Edited by - LadyInRed on Sep 25 2011 4:02:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

22angel
True Blue Farmgirl

498 Posts

Pam
Manitoba
Canada
498 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2011 :  4:48:46 PM  Show Profile
Tracy - isn't it amazing how many pots & pans you can use for ONE meal?? I know sometimes it seems like I use a lot - but I have a small one, a medium one & 2 large dutch ovens (although I'm not sure if the one can go into the oven or not, I've never tried it. That's why I got the 2nd one). Hope it turns out great for all the work you put into it!

Well, my "company" (aka my mom, sister & niece) are gone back home - now to get the house back in order! Thankfully most of my dishes are done, I think I can cheat & put the few others in the dishwasher - if they'll fit! - and call it a day. Or try to lol. I'm busy updating my blog now, and enjoying my yard sale finds from yesterday. I found a table for $25 (a few issues, but I think it will be alright. For $25 & 2 chairs, I'm not gonna complain!), a 1933 Blue Ribbon coffee jar (unfortunately without the original lid ) for $0.25, some old cookie cutters (well, a couple are old, but a few of them are newer), a kids movie for $1, and some socks & underwear & hats & mitts for daycare.

This is my table :) (excuse the mess on it!)

This is the neat jar I got

And the cookie cutters I got for $0.10 each :)

And this one is the unsweetened applesauce Mom & I made last night to go in the freezer.

I did attempt to make apple butter & I think it's alright, I've never had it before, nor have I ever made it. It started out the same pink as the applesauce (obviously), but now it looks burnt, for lack of a better word. It tastes alright, just doesn't look so good lol. Oh well. It'll likely be just me eating it anyhow.

I made a couple of wasp traps for my patio, since I've been getting them coming in the door there :(. (And my sister was here, so I had a couple of pop bottles handy too )I was reading on a site about making the traps & how they "relocate" the wasps instead of killing them. Uh...I don't think so. If they come near me or in my apartment, they are dead lol. Be darned if I'm going to attempt to "relocate" the mean things!

I did my laundry & have most of it hanging up to dry - I did put most of them in the dryer for 1/2 an hour on medium, just to help dry things a bit faster since it was late when I started & I need some for tomorrow. I found that tin foil balls work wonderfully instead of bounce sheets! Yay! I did towels first thing & they are nice & fluffy & not static-y at all! I also made a batch of clothes soap, but it doesn't smell as good as my first stuff since I used a really old bar of Sunlight soap. But next time I go down to the States, I'm going to pick up a few bars of Fels Naptha - I like the "clean smell" of it. I also made a batch for my mom & sister, although I'm sure my sister took it & didn't leave any for my mom. I have another load of material in the wash so I can start on my niece's Christmas quilt. I'm seriously going to have to work my butt off for the next 3 months to get everything done for Christmas that I need to!

Wow, that sounds like a lot accomplished today when it doesn't feel like that much....

Hope you all had a good day!

Life isn't about finding yourself. It's about creating yourself.

"When I grow up, I want to be dirt." seen on a box through construction in Wyoming 2010

Edited by - 22angel on Sep 25 2011 4:49:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bushel n Peck
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

Tracy
Truly MT
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2011 :  6:17:31 PM  Show Profile
Peggy
I did see Julie and Julia, I loved it! I was given THE COOKBOOK last year for my birthday, and have been meaning to crack it open and give it a try. So this weekend I started with the Boeuf Bourguignon. I was wanting a beef stew and thought I'd try something different. This took HOURS to make and it was not like throwing stuff in a crockpot and walking away. There were several very involved steps,the result was totally amazing. Instead of a homogenous mush that can happen in the crockpot, this stew had beautiful complex layers of texture and flavor. My hero hubby washed dishes twice!
It's definitely not something I could have made after coming home from work.
I loved the Julia movie, but I have no desire to attempt making everything in the cookbook. Aspics sound gross,I mean,who would eat something that sounds like "A$$ Pick"?
Also,I definitely don't want to be the "Lobster Killer!"

I served the stew with boiled potatoes and buttered peas. Gingerbread was our dessert. I will be taking some for lunch tomorrow...poor me! Ha Ha!

Pam, neat-o stuff you found! I like to collect interesting jars too.
The cookie cutters remind me of the ones my Grandmother had.

my blog: http://bushelnpeck.blogspot.com

Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at the testing point.
C. S. Lewis

Edited by - Bushel n Peck on Sep 25 2011 6:40:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2011 :  7:10:35 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies. Been pretty busy working the weekend. Just catching up now.

Tammy- Thank God your son is ok. Tell him thank you from me and my family. Some of them are knuckleheads and don't realize they couldn't be knuckleheads in countries that aren't free. I'm surprised they aren't sending him home. Isn't 3 bullets enough? Will pray for you and your's.

Pam- I have a set of sheets that have elastic sewn diagonally on the four corners. It keeps the sheets from coming up.

Darlene- I have a feeling you're a lot like one of my best friends, Rasme. She has finished her treatments and is scheduled to have reconstructive surgery in a few weeks. She is unbelievably determined to beat it. She says this is all just a speed bump and how lucky her husband is to be getting her with a new boob for his birthday. She makes me laugh and love listening to her.

Kathleen- Sorry for your contractor troubles. A good contractor is so hard to find.

Kimberly- Wishing you fast recovery for your back. I've done it once too often and now am very protective of my back. Big cheers to the potato haul. I've had a brown thumb this year. It really warms my heart to see all the nice things you say about your husband.

Bunny- Good Luck on your first day of school! And for your information, I find you a very worthwhile person and helpful to everyone you meet.

Darlys- Please send me pizza from that little local pizza place in Oakhurst! Wish I was there now.

Peggy- What a neat way to grocery shop. My man is very undisciplined when grocery shopping and he is not allowed to go with me! lol

Judy- I have seen stickers at Hobby Lobby. Maybe it was John Deere or Catepillar tractors.

Tracy- Congrats on your successful dinner! I loved that movie. I have read some of her cookbook and would love to have the time to finish it and try some of her recipes.

As for here, no really good or new news to report. No changes with my son and at some point in the day it brings me to tears then I'm angry and then accepting. It's just this cycle of crazy emotions. DH is being so supportive and understanding.

Yesterday afternoon brought another wildfire but within 10 miles of our house Luckily they have the DC-10 plane stationed down here and it was flying in less than 2 hours and dropping water. We were able to sit out back and watch the helicopters and planes putting it out. Unfortunately, still no rain in the forecast and the humidity levels are dropping making it even drier. Please mail me some rain!

I bought The Resolution for Women. Has anyone else read this? The movie Courageous is coming out next Friday which is about a resolution for men. The previews look very good.

Hope to see you ladies tomorrow.

Julie

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

22angel
True Blue Farmgirl

498 Posts

Pam
Manitoba
Canada
498 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2011 :  7:38:57 PM  Show Profile
Farm Dream - I do have elastic on one set...but I think I have to do it to the other sets I have too! On a good note, though, the queen ones I got are big enough for the air mattress with a quilt on top of it! And I like them regardless of the fact that I don't get to use them on my bed :s. Oh well. Hope you get some rain soon!

"When I grow up, I want to be dirt." seen on a box through construction in Wyoming 2010
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2011 :  8:14:07 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Hi everyone,
I'm feeling a little better today...really think it's just the weather change that has given me the sniffles.

Tracy, YUMMY...that's about all there is to say....lol I really like my homemade washing powder too..:)

HI Peggy....hope you are doing better.

Pam, I like all you goodies...lucky you to find that jar for .25...that was a good one.

Julie, I'm sorry this grandbaby situation is so hard on you...I really hope everything works out soon. I sure wish I could mail you some rain, we have gotten over 5 inches in the last few days, but we really need it..haven't had any in a very long time..

I will see ya'll tomorrow

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...
Go to Top of Page

beekeepersgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2011 :  04:33:22 AM  Show Profile
Hi ladies -

Just popping on for a quick minute - I try to keep up with reading what everone is doing even when I don't have time to write anything.

We just finished doing a two day farm show in Sterling, PA. It was wonderful, but exhausting. I'm the tour guide for the old farmhouse,and boyfriend demonstrates antique farm equipment. It was like two days of playing "Little House on the Prairie".

Today I'm back at work in my "real world" - exhausted but had a good time.

One more show coming up in a couple of weeks and then we will be done for the season. I am leaving for Vermont on Saturday to spend a few days with my mother. We are hoping to go to Maine for a couple of days too while I'm up there. I need some "mom" time!

Hugs to everyone -

Luanne

beekeepersgirl #691

Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2011 :  10:34:19 AM  Show Profile
Hi Launne...good to see you on The Porch Farmgirl. Sounds like you have been busy! Sounds like you and your mom are going to have fun together. I am taking my Bible Study Group to the Oregon Coast this weekend. Actually Thursday through Sunday. It is our Annual Rest and Relaxation Retreat (with a lot of shopping thrown in. I can't wait either. I need the "girl" time! Had some "mom" time last weekend after the Funeral
and let's just suffice it to say...the funeral was more fun! Not all of us are blessed with "Nice" moms.

Penny...glad to hear that you are feeling better! It is still rainy here today but is suppose to get nicer in the middle of the week. I am counting on it. I am just sitting here with my coffee and not accomplishing much today...but hey, I'm OK with that! My husband could care less how clean or dirty the house is. I do...however, I have learned to not stress over it. If I don't have a spotless house so be it. It is clean enough to be comfortable in and the work I don't do today waits for me tomorrow. With my Fibro...I have learned to be very productive on good days and not beat myself up on bad days.

Bunny...thinking about you and your first day of school today. Hope you enjoy it!
I waved to you as I went through The Dalles last weekend...both ways. My kids said, "Who is Bunny?"
I just say, "MJF" and they get it! lol They think I am a MJF Addict. Probably True too! LOL

Well, My Porchies...I will check back in with you later!

blessings,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2011 :  7:01:04 PM  Show Profile
We were in Oakhurst over the weekend. Spent most of the time relaxing. We went to Mariposa for the First Annual Tomato Fest. Unfortunately, it wasn't organized very well. Maybe they could call it a "practice run." There were some netted canopy tents with tomato tasting inside. But, you couldn't buy a tomato anywhere! And, of course, my mouth was watering for BLTs for dinner.

Anyway, we had lunch at the Pizza place that I believe is the one you are thinking of, Julie. I have 2 slices of Luke's Combo in a ziplock in my freezer in Oakhurst - just waiting for you.

DH let me browse to my heart's content along Mariposa's main street (Hwy 49). I came home with 3 more dolls (one very antiquey with hair actually painted on), a cute doll buggy, a sewing stand. DH got some old Agatha Christie books and 3 packages (10 in each) marbles and - we couldn't resist - we were giggling like kids - WAX LIPs! Silly, but we got them anyway. Also got some pick-up sticks. We are finally old enough to actually enjoy being children-like and playing with toys and such again! We saw that popcorn on a cob in one of the Mariposa shops. They wanted 3.95 for one cob! I couldn't see forking over that much cash for one cob.

I got one of those old wooden walnut bowls. Looks like it was cut from a tree and hollowed out with a place sticking up in the middle with holes in it to hold the nut cracker tool. I grew up with one of those on the living room coffee table. Never thought I'd actually want one! But nostalgia kicked in - and it was "on sale" in that little antique/craft market shop (where I got the old doll and buggy and sewing stand) in Mariposa.

I've started putting out Halloween/autumn stuff. I think it is bigger in rural communities. Even though Halloween is big business - folks just don't seem to do the same amount of decorating around here.

DH & I went to the garden shop Sunday and got 2 big bags of daffodil bulbs. We understand that they are poisonous to gophers so the gophers leave them alone. And do we EVER have gophers. We have 2-1/2 acres up in Oakhurst and the gophers think they own the place! They share the property with quail, bunnies, deer, the neighbor's cats and, occasionally, coyotes. Our neighbor is stalking the coyotes with a shotgun, trying to give them a load of buckshot in their behinds. I don't know how successful she's been - but we haven't heard the coyotes the last 2 weekends that we were up.

We were contemplating our muses as to our plans for next year. DH (who isn't really completely sold on pets yet) not only didn't flinch when I said I wanted chickens - he actually did his big smile and said that chickens are a distinct possibility. He mentioned how we hear our neighbor's rooster crowing - and had not a single negative to say about chickens. Yea! He's really a wonderful man ... he is a bit of a worrier ... and always, when I bring up the idea of animals, thinks first of what is good for the animals. However, he has totally ruled out goats. Now I have to learn about chickens.

Tammy - That is awful getting news like that. Hopefully, Matthew will heal quickly and have "stories" that will make his (someday) children's and grandchilden's (your grands and gr-grands) jaws drop when "grandpa" says how it was "back when." Prayers for you and your son. And, along with Penny and so many others, I add my appreciation for his service and sacrifice.

Tracy, You are inspiring. So glad the b.b. turned out so great!

Darlene ... I've been getting to know you through several previous posts. I would like to add my prayers for your recovery to the multitude of others.

PeggyAnn, I keep thinking of you and am praying for you to have a fantastic, energetic, playful and relaxing Girlfriend Getaway. You know you are constantly in my prayers. And, hey, I'm with you - I hate taking pills - even tho they are vitamins. I don't have anything to remember though because DH sets the proper pills out for me at dinner each evening. ARRRG.

Pam - love the pictures. That is a darling corner in your kitchen.

Just when we thought we were going to see fall - the forecast is for us to head into the 90s again. Oh well.

Just picked up some pumpkin bread pudding at Whole Foods so we can all poise our forks for a couple of yummy bites ... and I brought some apple cider, too -- to get us in the autumn "mood." Take care, Porchies. We'll all be meeting here soon in our footie jammies.

Sister #3284 - on her Tippie Toes - oxox, Darlys

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.

Edited by - darlystippie on Sep 26 2011 7:07:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

22angel
True Blue Farmgirl

498 Posts

Pam
Manitoba
Canada
498 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2011 :  7:30:56 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Darlys! Although my kitchen is seriously just 3ft x 9.5ft....including fridge & stove. The counter tops are way too tiny for my liking...but eventually I'll have my own place & get to have a decent kitchen!

It's windy out tonight. I think I'm going to bed early tonight. I'm tired & I think I'm getting an ear infection. I've never had so many ear infections until I started working at daycare. Hopefully this year won't be so bad.. Night all!

Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2011 :  8:34:52 PM  Show Profile
OK ladies if you want to see some of what I have been working on check out the "stitching & crafting" forum, "what are you working on today" and you can see what I have done so far in the ongoing bathroom project.

CMF
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2011 :  04:20:28 AM  Show Profile
Hello Porchies!

Just stoppin in to say hey.

I've been down for almost a week now. I have a broken tooth. The dentist said the enamel broke off it leavin the pulp and nerves settin there like a hard boiled egg. It's the most pain I've been in for a long time and I'm not likin it. I can't take pain pills with any strenghth to them because they do bad things to me. My Hubby gave me one of his back pills a few nights ago, hopin it would make me sleep. It made me sweat, shake, see double, and vomit, but no sleepin.

I go in friday at 8:30am to have it surgically removed. I am a little disappointed. It wasn't even the tooth that's been botherin me for almost a year now. The dentist said he's not sure why that tooth is botherin me since there is nothin visibly wrong with it and the xrays showed nothin either. He isn't real sure why the one cracked open like it did as it looked otherwise healthy.

I've had pain and problems with my teeth for most of my life, so he is settin me up to see a specialist about 'anchored' dentures. It's dentures that actually snap into these sockets that are surgically put into your mouth to hold them in place. He says they are as tight and usefull as real teeth. I told him I couldn't bear to have to give up my apples and carrots and stuff like my grandma did. He swears I wouldn't have to, and it would take care of the pain.

It's gonna take a year or so to get the money up for it. The insurance will pay for all but the sockets, which will cost me about $4500. It is a one time cost on those, so that's not so bad, just hard to come by right now.

I've been tryin to keep up with everyone by stoppin in once a day and readin what you are all up to. Know that you are in my thougts and prayers. I will probably be gone another week or so, till my head stops throbbin from the tooth and the surgery.

On a funny note, my Hubby and I decided to do a juice fast the day before this happened, so I am on a liquid diet by choice and force! LOL! At least I have plenty to drink and know how to keep my strenghth up with our juicer and a fridge full of fruits and veges.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?

Edited by - natesgirl on Sep 27 2011 04:26:52 AM
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2011 :  05:15:37 AM  Show Profile
Angela, So sorry to hear about your tooth problems. When you have a toothache, your whole body feels it. Good luck with the sugery and healing. Hopefully it will feel so much better once it is out.

Jan

Farmgirl Sister #3340
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2011 :  08:27:27 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning Farm girls. Went to my first class last night. It was my "fluff" class as everyone says. It is a beginning oil painting class. I was bored silly. It is a 3 hour class and the teacher is a little absent minded to say the least. We had one little drawing assignment to do in class and then sat there with nothing to do as he visited with everyone. He is teaching all in one class together: painting, drawing, sculpting, and advanced painting. Not sure how he is going to be able to actually teach anything being stretched so thin. Most kids were there for an easy A. I was very disappointed in the quality of students. The first hour we all do a drawing exercise and then we can do whatever we want for the rest of class. No structure at all.
Today I know will be different. I have my beginning accounting and business classes. I know I will be bored out of my mind there too but at least there will be structure and I figure if I just do the work I'll be fine.

Peggy, have a wonderful time at the ocean.

Angela, so sorry about your teeth. I was having big problems with my teeth and I switched to a Sonic Care electric tooth brush. It took a while but it was amazing the difference. After you get your tooth fixed you might try it. It is more of a fibration tooth brush and takes a little while to get use to. (it tickles for a few days). After that it's fine.

Darlys, sounds like you had a great time in Oakhurst. My favorite shop is I think in Mariposa called Chocolate Soup. Is it still there?

Anyway, I have classes today so must be off to get ready.

Bunny

www.bunnyrose.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2011 :  08:29:14 AM  Show Profile
Angela, go with the dentures if it means the end to that kind of pain! My mom had to get them for her upper teeth at an early age. She's had trouble with her teeth her whole life. Oh, I just get the shivers thinking of the pain you must be in.

Pam, a lovely kitchen is a blessing but it's not so important the size or beauty of the kitchen as what the cook within it makes and the love put into it. :) I think your kitchen is sweet!

Penny, so glad you are feeling better. :)

Well I did take the kids to the Sacajewea Heritage Days. It is just the coolest thing. Basically you are entering 1840. There is so much history being explained and shown. The Fiber Guild I want to join was there and I got to talk with one of the ladies. My five year old son got to try a loom out and I think he's sold on it!!! They had lots of things there for sale or trade as well. Very interesting. It did have a bad part to it unfortunately, both my daughter and I got stung. There was a plague of wasps out there. I got stung two maybe three times in the same spot. Nikole got stung once on her thumb. She's fine. I ended up in the ER last night. My chest started to feel tight and I was having to work at breathing a little harder than normal. Add on to that the fact that I was feeling dizzy and lightheaded and just felt off and my husband took me in. We live an hour out of town so it's not a good idea to wait around until it's something really serious. Hereditary Angioedema runs in my family so anytime swelling or tightness is an issue I take notice. Doctor said that you can have an allergic reaction to a sting up to 72 hours afterwards but I'm wondering if it wasn't the cream that I put on the sting site because Matt looked it up and my symptoms might have been an allergic reaction to it or that cream could have caused the venom to spread faster according to someone Matt was talking to. Anyways end of the story is I'm fine. I'm exhausted today because of whatever was happening to my body but I'm okay. I now have an epipen should anything serious ever happen. The good part was because we were in town at supper time we went out for supper and the restaurant is having an Oktoberfest menu so I got GOOD German food. sigh, yummy.

Have a fantastic day my fellow Porchies!

Excuse the mess & the noise, my children are making happy memories
Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2011 :  08:43:31 AM  Show Profile
Angela, I have had an upper denture since age 25. Anchored dentures sound like a very good thing. Regular dentures can be difficult if the person doing the denture does a bad job. The person who did my original denture was a real artist. After about 30 years of use it began to fall apart. I had to get a new one. That is where the problems began. The old one was light and fit well and I never had to use denture cream. The new one they made was so heavy nothing could keep it in my mouth. Told the dentist to lighten it and take off half of the thickness. He gave me so garbage about how it wouldn't last. If I hadn't had the first one I might have believed him. But I made him do it or I would take a dremel tool to it and do it myself. He complied now it stays in without any help for any creams or such. It was just too heavy and I do eat nuts and meat with it. Remember you are paying for this and most dentists have no clue what a denture is like, they can afford to have their teeth fixed. If it does not fit and causes you pain, make them fix it. I had to go in several times before they got it right.

Bunny, that is a good one about that class. Maybe some extra study time for you there?

Kim, good thing you took care of that. I made some plantain oil for just such an emergency as I do have spiders and they like to live in the house in the winter.

CMF
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2011 :  10:09:07 AM  Show Profile
Darlys...HAPPY BIRTHDAY PORCHIE! Hope it is a beautiful one!!

Angela...sorry to hear about your teeth problems. Bad teeth are something I inherited and unfortunately
passed on to my children too. I still have my own teeth but need dentures. Four years ago I started the process to get dentures but then I found out I was allergic to the acrylics that they make them out of.
Oh great! They sent to Canada and Texas for different materials to try and I was allergic to those too.
But in the mean time...my husband had to get a new upper plate (because his dog ate his denture) and I found out from his Dentist that they now make a nylon denture. I figure that if I can wait a couple of years with these teeth I have...they will even have more options. ~ I do feel badly for you girl and I am sending up prayers for you. I know what you mean about wanting to eat apples and carrots and stuff...because every time I bite into one myself...I am just praying that my two front teeth don't crack or break off.

Bunny...I would hate to be putting out hard earned money to take classes and then be bored in them. There is something very wrong with that picture. That is awful!

Welcome to The Porch Jan! This is a great place to come and feel safe and have a good time with all these
Wonderful Farm Sisters. Come often and stay as long as you want...there is always room on the Porch for one more!

Cherime...good advice on the dentures!!! Also, I have seen your handy work on the Bathroom Project...NICE!
What is plantain oil? And what all is it good for?

Well, I am in desperate need for a cup of coffee...so off I go to brew a pot!

I will check back later my porchies...

blessings,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Edited by - LadyInRed on Sep 27 2011 10:11:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

beekeepersgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2011 :  10:35:15 AM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies -

I need to vent - I'm so upset and angry. Hope you all don't mind. My boyfriend (age 64) took a bad fall off the steps at his daughter's house yesterday. When I saw him last night he was in a lot of pain, could hardly walk, take a deep breath, etc. I don't know if he has broken anything, or he could have internal injuries. He refused to call the doctor or go to the ER. Now I just tried to call him both at home and on his cell phone, and he isn't answering. I don't know whether to leave work and go rushing up there (20 miles away) only to find he is fine and out working on his tractor someplace, or just wait and see if he calls me back - I left a message on both phones. I'm worried, but also so very angry with him right now I could scream.

Sorry for the tirade - I know you girls will understand.

Luanne

beekeepersgirl #691

Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2011 :  11:10:53 AM  Show Profile
Pam, I love that table and chairs...and only $25.00....good job!!! I've not seen a jar shaped like that one....Me Likey!!! *giggle*
I made applebutter in my crockpot last year, for the first time....and my-oh-my is it good. I like lots of spices in mine and less sugar and it is soooo tasty!!
I wish we had a Hobby-Lobby around these parts. I'm going to check our scrap-book shop and see if they have some. I can't believe our Pat Catan's didn't have any. hmmmm....could it be that we have lots of "Farm-Girls" around here, and they just sold out? hahaha
Luanne, so good to see(hear from?)you. haha Glad you get to have some Mom time soon. I hope you have a wonderful time. I'm glad my Mom lives so close to me.BUT, I'd give my right ear(it only works half the time anyhow haha)to go up East for the fall colors with you right now! Have fun Girlie!
Peg-Dearie, we're so GLAD that you are a MJFarm Addict! We wouldn't have you any other way!
This is a good place to tell you my dream I had just before I woke up this morning.....
All of us here went on a week-end retreat/camping trip together. There was a long walk to the grounds and we were laughing at each other and picking on each other and just generally had some GREAT Girl-Time together. We were all looking forward to getting there because we had this huge meal planned. The whole way there we talked about what tasty morsels we'd brought. We had each prepared our favorite dishes....(now, where do you suppose all that food-talk came from...in a dream....about us no less?) ROFLROFL
I woke up smiling and it made me happy to know that I had just dreamed my first dream, about my MJGal-Pals!! *raises teacup...* Here's to many more happy Farm-Girl dreams!!!Love ya all, don't ya know?/!
Darlys,Happy Birthday! Make it a good one! Sounds like you and hubby had a fun time shopping for old-tyme toys. I need to buy some pick-up-sticks and try it again. I use to love those as a kid.
I'm already sleeping in socks.Footie jammies were a fond memory for me. My parents found me a "bunny sleeper" with a drop seat, when I was 17. I hadn't had one since I was a tot. I didn't even know they made them for grown-ups until they found that one. That was my fvorite Christmas present that year.Thanks for that memory! *giggle*
Angela, so sorry you are going thru such pain. I hate dental problems. I'm fascinated with those anchored dentures though. Interesting!
I hate the fall bee's...always in a frenzy. Sorry you & daughter got stung Kimberly....and WOW!...Glad you are ok. One good thing came out of it all....you got to eat some good food! Always a good thing!
Well,we have 65/sunny/windy...gotta go do something. Toodles Gals!

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
"Why couldn't I have been born Rich instead of So Good Looking?"
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2011 :  12:14:56 PM  Show Profile
Darlys- Thankyou for saving me some pizza. DH and I were reminiscing about our trip there and remembered the Mexican food place that you can watch birds from the back window. Maybe one day we'll get to be neighbors.

Angela- I hate dental work! I've heard good things about the dental implants. Have you tried using Orajel to numb the tooth area, or even a denture cream to cover the tooth? I have gum issues, at least until I stopped using toothpaste. Once I started using baking soda and hydrogen peroxide I haven't had any issues. My DH is still doing the juice fast too. He loves it.

Kimberly- Good Lord! Glad you and your DD are ok. That's gotta hurt on the thumb. You're some tough girls. I would've cried like a baby.

Bunny- Sorry you were not happy with that art class. Unfortunately college is a business and some of the students really aren't smart enough to be there but they got the student loan and I think colleges have some too easy classes because of it. Hopefully you'll find your other classes more challenging. One class I took in college was Introduction to Walking. Now that was easy!

I went and had my eyes checked. Now I have to order me some glasses. And we had another fire this morning. This time it was the street just after mine. I'll be so glad when fire season is over. I'm not sure when that will be. Going to take it easy the rest of today. I'm going to try a recipe for butternut squash and fennel for dinner. I'm sure DD's face will look like this . She does not like trying new things.

Julie

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 669 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page