Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic
Page: of 669

nabrown42
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Nancy
Caneyville KY
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2012 :  10:59:52 AM  Show Profile
Peggy, if you're referring to the quilting books by Jennifer Chiaverini, I have read most of them. I stopped purchasing them last August so if there's one out since then, I don't have it yet. I knew we were moving in a month and didn't want one more book to pack and pay to move. The stories are so interesting! The historical information of quilting is worth the price of them all.

"I've wept in the night for the shortness of sight that to someone's needs I've been blind; but I've yet to feel a twinge of regret for being a little too kind."
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2012 :  12:12:59 PM  Show Profile
Bunny, so sorry about Ms Kitty and her bladder troubles. What are they giving her for the infection. Might be good to know if Rascal gets one! We usually go to Tractor Supply and get what medicines we can and give them ourselves. DH being a nurse and me being a Homeopathic really helps!
RFMTammy, if you have an ImmediateCare facility near you, ask them about the Proventil or Proventil HFA inhaler. Since I've developed Bronchitis, that and Codeine cough syrup(only at night,mind you)really helps you sleep. I use the inhaler only as needed...like when I can't stop coughing or when my chest feels tight&heavy! We are having a 40 degree,rainy day and that usually sets it off.
I never thought I'd ever use an inhaler, but glad I discovered it. It's a Blessing in a tin can-ister! hahaha
Peggy, I'm curious too, is there another Quilt series besides Jennifer's??
Well, I'm off to do something destructive....I mean...Constructive!!! hahahahaah
Byeeeeeee....

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
"Why couldn't I have been born Rich instead of So Good Looking?"
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2012 :  12:32:33 PM  Show Profile
The Quilting Books are by Marie Bostwick

I can't think of the first one off the top of my head
but the second one is A Thread So Thin.

Hugs,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

"Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch"

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be His!
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2012 :  12:58:02 PM  Show Profile
What are those like Peg, if not mysteries! You know what I like, nice&clean&entertaining!
We still have January left in the "TeaBags" TeaSwap,if anybody is interested. And like I said before if you can't get it out until the first part of February,because we are running late, that's OK!!!We don't stand people in the corner! hahaha
Nan, did you change your mind Dearie? Haven't heard from you.
Whittney&Jan, I need your Home and e-mail addresses to compile my list to send out!
Thanks Gals! I can hardly wait to get started!
Weeeee....such fun!

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
"Why couldn't I have been born Rich instead of So Good Looking?"
Go to Top of Page

DEW
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

Dianne
Weiser Idaho
USA
317 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2012 :  1:14:44 PM  Show Profile
Hi Everyone
Iam headed to the used book store tomorrow. I am going to look for the tea shop mysteries
Pam I am a series reader as well. I like how the characters are developed over several books. Even if there are new characters the ld ones are still there or pop in. Makes the books more fun. I will look for the Outlander that genre sounds like a good read to me.

Tammy I will check out the Tea Table. I am always a little leary of ordering tea on line, I just like to taste it before I buy it. It is getting harder and harder though to find loose leaf teas for sale around here.

Tammy I hope you get to feeling better. I hate when a head cold ends up a chest cold. It really just knocks me for a loop.

It is bright and sunny and COLD! I am looking forward to my 4 day weekend. Thanks for the book ideas I will see what I can find. A good book a warm cup of tea and time to craft. It all startd at 1pm tomorrow. YEA!!!

Dianne (ID)
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2012 :  2:48:05 PM  Show Profile
Judy...the first book is about a woman who goes thru a divorce and moves to a small coastal town to re-invent herself and opens a quilt shop. I don't want to spoil it but its a relationship read about the circle of friends who come together thru a quilting class. It is squeekie clean! Have you read any of Debbie MaCombers BLOSSOM STREET Series? These books remlnd me of Macombers books. Dealing with women's issues and the close bond women need with other women. Set in modern times.

Blessings,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

"Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch"

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be His!

Edited by - LadyInRed on Jan 12 2012 2:51:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2012 :  3:41:57 PM  Show Profile
Bunny- I loved doing online classes. It was wonderful to sit around in pajamas and not brush my hair and get all my work done. In my on campus classes there was always some big mouth who would blab on and on in class and I really felt like I was wasting my money. I even had to drop a class once because someone talked too much and the professor wasn't able to cover all the material for the test and I couldn't understand it at home and failed a test. :( I'm going to the library tomorrow to get a new book. Thanks for the book suggestions.

Tammy- Please get yourself feeling better.

Judy- Cool! My DH is a nurse also. Does your's use those big medicine words? Drives me crazy and I'm in the medical world also.

Well, last night was Bee Class #2. The number of people has dropped off by about 25%. I expected that would happen. The drunk/high lady wasn't there this time. There was a guy they had to keep putting back on track because he would just talk and talk about things not related to what we were supposed to be learning. Last night we learned all about the equipment. The equipment isn't too much but the bees are a little pricey. I may have to work on this slowly and build up a few hives and then get my bees the next spring. Gotta run. Going to church tonight and I will pray for all my farmgirls. I also downloaded Mango Languages. It's a free app so I can learn some Spanish words, besides all the bad ones, ha ha.

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2012 :  4:34:48 PM  Show Profile
Like so many of you I'm a bookworm, thougt I rarely get to sit down and read anymore. My favorite authors are Francine Rivers, Karen Kingsbury, Louis L'Amour, LM Montgomery. Hope you are all enjoying the books you are talking about!

Today I did some baking with my two little helpers. They love cooking and baking with me. My five year old informed me today that I was a good cook and a good baker. Words every mother loves to hear. Then he told me that he wanted to be a chef and cook in many different cities and countries. Sounds like he's going to be a foodie just like his Daddy. :)

I've got a sourdough starter going. started it today. Hopefully I'll get it going and soon we can enjoy delicious sourdough bread, pancakes etc.

Got the kids results back. My daughter, like me can not have milk. My son can not have eggs. I can work around these food intolerances, done it before it's old hat. So I'm still thinking that I'll keep my goats and make the soap. My daughter and I can't have the milk but my husband and son can. And I'd rather they had raw, fresh, goat's milk than the garbage in the store. Then if I make the soap and sell it maybe I can make enough money with it that my goats will pay for themselves. The more animals that pay for themselves the better! Maybe after I get the soap part figured out I can start working on creams and the like. I wish with all my heart that my children didn't have any intolerances but if they do I'm glad I know what they are and can adjust our diet to keep them healthy.

My combination intolerance was potatoe and grain. So I can eat both foods just not within 6 hours of each other. The kids both had an intolerance to fruit and sugar being together. But thankfully honey is one of the sweetners that is okay so I can continue to can and dehydrate as I already do. The sugar problem is from anything that is derived from cane sugar or sugar beets. Daughter just tried one of our milk substitutes and said, "mmmmm Yummy. Can we have more?" So she seems to be dealing with it okay so far!

Hope you are all having a fantastic day. I've been fairly busy lately so I haven't been commenting as often but I still check to see how everyone is.

Excuse the mess & the noise, my children are making happy memories
Go to Top of Page

NeeNee
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

WhiTTneY
South point Ohio
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2012 :  6:03:41 PM  Show Profile  Send NeeNee a Yahoo! Message
so ladie i need some advise, i just started crocheting, im doing good with my stitching an all but the problem is once i get up like three or four rows it start shrinking up on me i try to do it realy loose but it still does it. is there something im doing rong.

judy~i send you my info. an im glad ya'll are enjoying the cin rolls.

ive not been on in a cpl days we got snow last night an im enjoing it so much, hehehe. cozie on the couch with my hot Apple cin tea an a piece apple dapple cake i made. ive been bordem baking, lol. So as far as crafts go what is your caft hobby you first started with.

FaRmGirL SiStEr# 3203
~ The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain. ~
~A Bible That is falling apart Probably belong to someone who isnt~
*Being fueled with self-determination can make us strive for great things.*

http://my2.tupperware.com/whittneyc
http://hislilwildflower.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

nabrown42
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Nancy
Caneyville KY
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2012 :  6:51:37 PM  Show Profile
Peggy, the quilting books I read are "The Elm Creek Quilts" series. I'm not familiar with Marie Bostwick's books.

Are you talking about the books about the divorcee who inherits her grandmother's old Victorian house (Grey Gables)on the coast of Maine? She becomes friend with the women who meet at the yarn shop. They call themselves the Hook and Needle Club of Stoney Point. She slowly uncovers the secrets from the attic and learns of her grandmother's past and comes to understand a lot about the people she came in contact with as she spent her summers with her grandmother. These are Annie's Attic Mysteries and the books are written by different authors, not just one. "Letter in the Attic" is by DeAnna Julie Dodson and "The Package" by Sharon Dunn are just two of them. I've really enjoyed these very much.

"I've wept in the night for the shortness of sight that to someone's needs I've been blind; but I've yet to feel a twinge of regret for being a little too kind."
Go to Top of Page

ruthie218
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Ruthie Ann
Indiana
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2012 :  7:30:29 PM  Show Profile
Evening Porchies,
Sounds like everyone is enjoying reading this winter. Thank you for sharing all the good books your reading. I need something to read as I haven't started my winter reading.
Tammy-Cheery cheesecake tea sounds yummy! Where do you get all your tea? Hope your feeling better.
Judy- never heard Tea shop Mysteries. Im going to have to read them.
Nancy-Can't wait to see a picture
Dianne-So glad the snow. Makes you jump for joy.
Pam-Why do you like Diana Gabaldon's Book?
Bunny-Yum banana bread. Thank You for all your prayers.
Kimberbly-Enjoy baking. I miss those days.
Whitney-so glad you took up crocheting. Wish I could help but Im still learning.
As for me I baked cokie and made a pot of chili as we were in the middle of a snow day. Please pray for me as Im still having alot of pain in my hip,butt and leg. It comes and goes and Im out of meds on Sat. Not sure what will happen then.Hope everyone has a great evening.
Ruthie Ann

http://simpleindianagirl.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

22angel
True Blue Farmgirl

498 Posts

Pam
Manitoba
Canada
498 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2012 :  8:15:06 PM  Show Profile
Hello Porchies

Dianne (ID) - it is such a great read! It takes me a long time to get through all of the books too, b/c I only read at night time. But since I have all of the books, it doesn't matter if it takes me all year to read the books lol.

Ruthie Ann - It's a combination of adventure, romance, history, love - what's not to love? lol

Kimberly - the Canadian is coming out in you! lol I found there are a lot of Americans who don't know Anne of Green Gables, or the Emily series. Not to say that there aren't a lot that do, it's just I only met/knew the ones that didn't. She's such a good author. Were you ever over to PEI when you lived up here? Sorry to hear about your kids intolerances. But it's good that you know how to deal with them & avoid them. What your 5 year old told you reminds me of what my nephew told me over Christmas "Aunty, you're the best cook in the whole town" (hahaha. I had only made chili lol).

NeeNee - make sure you're counting your stitches correctly. That's the only thing I can think of. As long as you keep your tension constant and your stitches correct, it should all work out. I've had to write in the # of stitches at the end of the row just so I can keep it right. What are you making?

I think my first craft was....friendship bracelets lol. I have no idea. I know I started 4-H when I was in grade 4, and I did a variety of crafts that first year. Sewing, embroidery, sequin art (gluing sequins in a pattern), woodworking (candle holders lol). Later on, I did sewing & made my first quilt (that I still have! Although it's a little thin in spots, it is very much the warmest blanket I have). I thought I had a picture of it on Photobucket, but I guess not. Somewhere I know I do lol. My Grandma taught me how to knit when I was 16 (not that it did a whole lot of good - I've only ever knitted one dishcloth, that I use as an alarm clock cover - the green light is too bright). My aunt taught me how to cross-stitch. My great aunt taught me how to crochet & I made this afghan (that's a wonky one! lol The variegated yarn needed to be a smaller hook, but I got mixed up & so one end is wider than the other). It took me a year to finish b/c I started it in the summer (May/June) & it was too hot to do it, then I couldn't remember & the way my Mom crochets is funny.
(It might be clickable!)
When I was younger, I also got a knitting & weaving set (this is the one I got! Exactly!!!! .) Unfortunately, now half of it's broken, which makes me sad, and I have yet to figure out what will hold plastic together - I'll have to go back to that site that I think Peggy sent me to for the glue! Two years ago, I started painting ceramics, but I had painted ceramics back in my Bible camp days. Not very well, mind you, but I still did it lol. I think crafting is in my blood :p.

I'm drinking some "Skinny tea" from David's...it's kind of orange-y, but tastes pretty good :). Nice choice. It's one of my Christmas teas. Think I better go to bed soon. I was asleep last night by 10, but then this morning I woke up at 6 :s. Not my favourite time to get up, but meh. It was a Thursday regardless, but it's not a full moon. I wonder if Friday the 13th does anything to the kids? haha, guess we'll see. Night all!

Life isn't about finding yourself. It's about creating yourself.

"When I grow up, I want to be dirt." seen on a box through construction in Wyoming 2010

Edited by - 22angel on Jan 12 2012 8:28:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

sue5901
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Sue
Wellingborough
United Kingdom
122 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2012 :  03:41:48 AM  Show Profile
Hello all,

I've not posted on here for must be over a year, but I have occasionally dipped in and seen whats going on!! Life seems to change so quick on here!
So hope its OK to pull up a chair and join you - I would have bought something lovely and sticky to share but I started Weightwatchers yesterday so its a fruit salad ( no points!!!)

Sue

Dance like nobody's watching!
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2012 :  04:25:13 AM  Show Profile
Pam, yup the Canuk in me is there for all to see! I have never been to PEI but I've always dreamed of going. I informed my hubby that someday that would be the family vacation. But now I think I want to wait until my daughter is old enough. I'll introduce her to Anne and hopefully she'll love her as much as I do and then when we go the two of us will be gloriously happy. Otherwise, everyone is just going to have to humor Momma and enjoy the scenery and such while I live out a dream. :) Another of my favorite sets is The Little House on the Prairie. I'm actually going to start reading those to the kids soon. I think they'll enjoy them now. There is supposed to be a place somewhere here in the States for that too. There's also homeschooling lessons around those books that I might do with my children at some point. I don't know that I'd use it as their school program but I might add it in and make things a little more interesting.

Anyone have a pattern for crocheting a lacy shawl? I want a black lacy shawl for a gold dress that I just recently got. I found one in an antique store but it was $25 which seemed steep to my cheap little soul. So I thought if I could find a pattern...... Maybe I should just buy the shawl???? My parents sent me money for my birthday and instructed me to buy some GOOD dress shoes. So today we're going to town and I'm going to see if I can get a pair of shoes and if there's enough money left over I might get the shawl and/or a charm bracelet. I've wanted a charm bracelet forever. You know one that you can get charms for that reflect your life. So a charm for each of my gorgeous children, horses, goats, etc. Things that are important to me.

Ruth, I do enjoy baking with my children. They'll see me getting the grain to soak and sprout and they get all excited, "We're going to bake!!" Then as soon as it's time to dry the grain they want to help. They spread it evenly in the dehydrator and then when it's done they want to help put the grain in a big bowl so that we can drag out the grain mill and grind it into flour. My children will actually bounce around the house with excitement that we're going to grind flour. :D Then we actually get to bake!!! They put on their aprons (which they look so adorable in) and "help" me. When we make the tortillas my five year old son runs the tortilla press with great vigor and he's actually helpful now! My four year old daughter doesn't have the endurance yet so she helps for a while and then she's done and goes off to do something else. :) So yesterday we made tortillas, big buns, and flat bread.

Go to Top of Page

NeeNee
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

WhiTTneY
South point Ohio
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2012 :  06:16:27 AM  Show Profile  Send NeeNee a Yahoo! Message
pam~ im dont quit know yet im just practicing my chain an building on it.

ruth ann~I read books by Mary connealy, Im not a big reader, my ready consists of looking an the pictures in mag, an reading recipes, lol but i hear if you read it keeps your brain educated,the first one was The Pioneer Woman: Black Heels to Tractor Wheels. I could not put it down, after i finished i jumped in head first in to one of Mary Connealys trilogys, "Lassoes in Texas(Petticoat Ranch/Calico canyon/Gingham mountain ), the hubbie is a big reader an he likes to go to book stores an there was a christian book store were we us to live an i started looking at the a lil section of books evertime i went in there. So for Easter 2011 the hubbie put that book in my basket. i finished in july. an im starting on my 2nd trilogy "Montana Marriages" (Montana rose/The Husband Tree/Wildflower Bride. ive almost finished the first book. they are westerns as you can tell by the name of them. They christian based books they are funny, serious, an intense all at the same time. there addictive, if you have a kindle you can download a sample of the book to see if you like it first before you buy it.

ive very exited bout the tea swap, unless i change my mind before my month i already no what i want to send out. well the hubbie is off to work an i gowing to go try an start to get motivated to do some laundry. I get back on later God bless an im praing for ya'll ladies. Hve a good day.

FaRmGirL SiStEr# 3203
~ The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain. ~
~A Bible That is falling apart Probably belong to someone who isnt~
*Being fueled with self-determination can make us strive for great things.*

http://my2.tupperware.com/whittneyc
http://hislilwildflower.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

22angel
True Blue Farmgirl

498 Posts

Pam
Manitoba
Canada
498 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2012 :  06:31:08 AM  Show Profile
Sue - welcome back! Sure you can join us :).

Kimberly - I'm in the process of making this shell shawl, it's so beautiful! Of course, at the rate I'm going, it's going to be a billion years from now when I get it done. I'm going to have to designate a craft night. I would prefer a day, but my Saturdays/Sundays are busy enough as it is. I say go buy that one in the antique store! It is $25, but you'll never find another one like it! And it's already made, so you don't have to worry about it! I would :). If I could find one already made, I probably wouldn't be making this one lol.~~~Speaking of Little House On The Prairie, you can go to a few States & see some stuff. I think the "main" one is in South Dakota at De Smet. We went there 2 1/2 years ago on our way to Colorado (yeah, we took a slight detour :p). But I figured if we were going through SD, then we could stop there. I loved it.I took lots of pictures & bought the cookbook :).

NeeNee, if you want, I can send you an "instruction sheet" for crocheting or you can get one online that shows you how to do all the different stitches. I find it very simple. You could start out making a dishcloth, since it's just a rectangle & you can make it however big you want. Good luck!

Well, it's finally a nice temperature again, so hopefully we'll be able to go outside a bit more today....they all need to burn off some energy!

"When I grow up, I want to be dirt." seen on a box through construction in Wyoming 2010

Edited by - 22angel on Jan 13 2012 06:32:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2012 :  08:10:18 AM  Show Profile
Kim- I would buy the shawl, too. How many times have I passed something up, that would be a staple to my wardrobe or house, because it seemed a little pricey. I did go to a consignment store that sells things from estate sales and picked up a large lace shawl for $6 a few months ago. Might be worth checking with those. I've also haggled with a dealer on some yarn and got $5 off the price for buying all they had. Maybe you could swing a deal the antique store. Can't hurt to ask.

Neenee- I bet you are shorting yourself one stitch at the end of each row. I have that problem, too if I don't pay attention.

Looks like some nice weather today. Practicing my very limited Spanish with the rabbits. Gotta do the bills and grocery shop and stop by the library. Have a great day ladies. Welcome back Sue!

Go to Top of Page

DEW
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

Dianne
Weiser Idaho
USA
317 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2012 :  08:32:03 AM  Show Profile
Goodmorning
I hope everyone has had a good cup of tea and has a blanket. It was 15 degrees when I came to work this morning. Brrrrr!

Peggy those books sound kind of like us. Ok we are not squeekie clean, but we help each other deal with our life issues. Maybe we should write a book. LOL

Whittney I will let someone who is better at crochrtiing than I am advise you on that problem. Knitting I could probably help with but I have not crocheted anything in a long time. At the moment I am finger deep in making heart Yo-Yos. for an exchange. This weekend I have four days off so my goal is to get some things cleared off of my "You need to finish this" table. Mostly sewing althiugh I have a quilt I need to get back to quilting. The first thing I started with was crocheting. My sIL taught me and I loved it. The funny thing is neither her nor I crochet any more. We both have moved on to other craft / hobbie.

Ruth Ann I hope that pain goes away quickly. I am praying for you sister.

Sue glad to meet you. Pull up a chair and sit a spell.I love fruit salad so I hope you brought enough to share.

Kimbrly I am adding my voice to Pams "go buy the shawl" You will be glad you did.

I had better get ready for the next class. Today is a short schedule day so all the classes are 30 min. I have given my students a free day. I procter computer classes and after 4 days of work they need a break. Well all of them except my 6th period class. I think they have been on break all week!

Dianne (ID)
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2012 :  09:32:49 AM  Show Profile
Kimberly, add me to the "buy the shawl" list too. It would probably cost you close to $25.00 for the yarn and take forever.

I keep forgetting to tell you ladies about a friend of mine that writes quilting mysteries. Her name is Clare O'Donohue. Her books are "Lovers Knot, A Drunkards Path, and The Double Cross" They are collectively called "The Someday quilt mysteries" She has another series called "The Kate Conway Mysteries". The Lovers Knot is the first one and gets you started.

Sue, welcome back! I think we could all do with a bit of fruit salad for no points!

Kimberly and Pam, I read all the Anne of Green Gables books years ago. Then they had a series on the public access station. I watched that too. Loved it! The Little House on the Prairie show was filmed close to the town I use to live in. The actors use to be seen in town all the time. The set burned down a few years ago.

Ruth Ann, I agree with Pam on the Diana Gabaldon books. But I like that there is a little bit of magic too. The most interesting part is how she uses her modern knowledge to deal with medical issues and her knowledge of history to have an idea of what will happen. I believe she was a doctor in the book.

Well, I have lots of homework to do for the next few days. One of my classmates called last night and wants to do accounting homework together. I got an A last quarter so I think she is hoping to get a better grade working with me. I like studying with someone else. Two heads are better than one.
Twinkle (kitty) is doing much better. It is a fiasco whenever I feed her though. She is getting special canned food and it is like sharks circling. With 6 cats all thinking canned food is really cool, they still get their dry food down in the basement. Some get locked up for a time so Twinkle can have her breakfast. I'm starting to wonder if they all shouldn't get on wet food. Then everyone will be happy.

Well, homework calls. Later porchies. Stay warm and for all you fighting colds and such, hope you get better soon!

Farmgirl number 3738

www.bunnyrose.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2012 :  10:51:17 AM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Morning All….Well It has turned cold again here…..burrrrrr….Today is day 3 of not smoking….As one of my MJF sisters told me about praying for quitting…I am and it has helped….

Peggy, I agree, since I started my prayer journal I realize that I'm not forgetting anyone. The nickname Scooter was given to my brother because he was born so pre-mature and he almost didn't make it and while he was in his crib someone said…don't worry about that redhead…he will be up scooter pooting around before you know it…He is a Scooter for sure….lol…Arthur was my Dad too…he was and Army Sgt. So Arthur fit him like Scooter does my brother…. I am starting a list of the books to look for in the libraby too after I finish Beverly Lewis books.

Nancy KY. I am going to have to look up the books you are talking about too….

Judy….My DH uses an inhaler from time to time too…since I quit using chemicals for cleaning in the house and started using vinegar instead he doesn't seem to use it as much. I really hope this cold weather we are having right now doesn't set off your coughing….I hope that next time ya'll do a tea swap I can join…this gives me time to get my act together and hopeful sample lots of teas for next years swap…

Dianne ID, Cold here too…it wasn't 15 but 29…which is still cold...don't you just love a good book and a cup of tea….enjoy your long weekend…should be fun.

Julie, I agree, nothing better than doing your work in PJ's….I do all the office work for DH real estate business from home…what a great job…doesn't pay much but oh well….lol…the bee class interesting…DH has been talking about bees but not sure about it yet.

Kimberly, I am so sorry about the test results but glad that you will be able to keep your goats and I agree the got milk for DH and Son will be so much better that the grocery store stuff. And as you said a side benefit is you can make goat soap. I bought my first bar of goat soap this summer from a Mennonite family in Washington….I love it…it is so creamy and has really helped my dry skin.I love the story about your little ones and how they love to bake…I can't tell you how enjoyable it is to me.. I also read that you wanted a lacy shawl…I've been looking at patterns for shawls for the last couple weeks…I've been wanting one that is heavy…so if I come across a lacy shawl pattern I will be happy to send the link to you…also I have to have a beginner or easy pattern…what about you? That will help me know what you are looking for…I saw a really nice one last night…I will see if I can find it…hold on... http://www.favecrafts.com/Crochet-Sweaters/Elegant-Sport-Shawl-from-Bernat/ct/1 http://www.redheart.com/free-patterns/womans-hairpin-lace-shawl http://sunshinescreations.vintagethreads.com/2010/12/shell-shawl-and-hair-scarf.html I'm including this one because it is so different…I like different http://www.favecrafts.com/Crochet-Sweaters/Fashion-Fling-Ponchini-from-Caron/ct/1 I love creating something from nothing…but I do understand if you want to buy it too...

Whittney, I'm sure from the sounds of it that you must be dropping a stitch somewhere…it is so easy to do…I still do it now…if you are single crocheting make sure you go into the loop next to your hook on each row. You only go into that stitch if you single crochet. I had to start counting my stitches on every row to make sure I didn't drop any….since I started doing that I've had better luck with my crocheting. Good luck and let us know if you have any other questions…if that doesn't help let me know, and I will think about it some more and see if I can help.

Ruth Ann, I have place you on my prayer list…I really hope that your pain goes away for good…Pain is no fun….Have you every read books by Beverly Lewis, she is the one I'm reading now…most of her books are series and are centered around the Amish in PA…they are really good…I have been reading them a since the end of Nov. and have read 14 of her books so far…loving everyone of them. What kind of books do you like to read? I like such a variety myself. So…do you have any of those cookies and chili left….sounds good on this cold day.

Pam, wow you do a lot of different kinds of crafts, don't you? I wish I could do other types of crafts but I'm not really that crafty…my Momma was, she could do anything….with ease…I struggle…lol…but I still love trying. I like your afghan if it it is wonky as you say, that gives it character….and love the colors. I think you did good with it. What is "skinny tea"? And did you say it was from David's? Do you have to order that?When I was a police officer it seemed people acted out on Friday 13th…and when I asked them why…they said just cause it was Friday 13th…but let me tell ya..the full moon did bring out the crazies…something about it did strange things to people…we had more crime during that time…Oh I love the shell shawl...

Sue, welcome back…so glad to see you..if you haven't been on here in over a year then I'm sure we haven't met since I just joined in July. We always have an extra rocker here…weightwatchers, wow…good luck with that….

Bunny, I hope my library has your friends books, when I get off here I am going to their website and see…hold on got to write info down before I forget…ya know how CRS is. I am so glad to here that Twinkle is doing better, I hate when my fur babies are not feeling well.

Someone asked about my Youngest son David….well, can you believe he is moving back on the 27th of Jan. He is switching companies, will be making more money but will be a long haul driver. He will be gone all during the week, home on weekends…I'm happy that he will be coming back, but mostly glad that he is happy…that is all I want for him….

I hope to check back in later...

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...

http://ourgeorgiafarm.blogspot.com

Edited by - Acelady02 on Jan 13 2012 11:50:15 AM
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2012 :  4:35:20 PM  Show Profile
Popping in one more time before the weekend. Gotta do my time at work. I'm so excited I was able to check out Outlander at the library and I noticed there's 10-15 more of her books on the shelves. This one is 627 pages and I could build some muscle if I used it in a workout...book is heavy.

I have a farmgirl friend and we are trading button fairies. Here's the one I made for her.

Go to Top of Page

22angel
True Blue Farmgirl

498 Posts

Pam
Manitoba
Canada
498 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2012 :  5:32:49 PM  Show Profile
Bunny - the books are so much better than the show! I could never bring myself to watch AoGG or Little House on the Prairie b/c the books were "right" and the shows were "dumb/wrong". And don't even get me started on the AoGG movies - they don't even follow the books properly! So I never watch them. I'll read them, gladly. But I'm not watching. And yet, I'll watch Road to Avonlea (the same company who did AoGG) with no problem. I think because I saw the tv show first (CBC Family Hour all the way!), and I know that although they were "based" on the books, they don't actually follow the books (The Story Girl & The Golden Road) - they are a series by themselves. Which I'm fine with. But when you go screwing up a wonderful series by not following the books properly, it makes me nuts. (Although I do love Megan Follows as Anne, I just dislike the actual movie.) Not to mention that I "torture" myself by watching the movie, then reading the books or vice versa. So I just don't. I just read the books :p. I have enough other movies lol. (If you want to see some Road to Avonlea or Wind at My Back -another Sullivan Entertainment production, go here to their youtube page.

Penny - Yes, I do do a lot of different crafts lol. I don't always finish one project before starting the next, but I try. And I like trying new things too. That is one thing that is "mine". Nobody else, really, in our family is that crafty. I have rubbermaid containers for all my craft stuff - not the tiny ones, the giant ones! No wonder I have no room! lol My afghan is totally wonky. You can't really tell from the picture, but if you fold it up, it doesn't match up. And I wasn't going to take it all out to "fix" it. Thank you for your kind thoughts :). This is what the label says on the tea bag for the "the skinny": Go ahead, drink up. The only thing you'll gain is wisdom. Organic: Chinese oolong tea from Fujian Province, Chinese pu'erh tea, ginger, ginseng, orange peel, orange & ginger flavoring. David's Tea is a Canadian company, and we have a store about an hour away in the city - so whenever my friend or I go to the city, we always stop there. They sell tea accessories, looseleaf tea - it's just a fun store. And they have a lot of variety.

Being Friday the 13th didn't affect the kids too much...not any different than any other Friday. It was good. Of course, being able to go outside for more than 5 minutes helps too. I talked to our assistant director (who does scheduling) and asked her about alternating weeks for closing (granted, it's just til 6, but still). I've been doing straight closes since September, not to mention that I've been doing them consistently for the past 3 years. I don't think it's fair that I've been there that long & still that's all I get. Especially when there is someone who is newer than me, and she has not closed at all (unless I'm sick & she's working til 5:30). We'll see what happens in February. She did say that she would consider it, but I also had to realize that everyone else has done their share of closes too. (Except for the newest person, which rather ticks me off.) Keep your fingers crossed.

Edited by - 22angel on Jan 13 2012 5:49:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2012 :  8:11:06 PM  Show Profile
evening porchies,
I brought you some chocolate scones by Weight Watchers...so good for you and a pot of Florence Tea which is a hazel chocolate tea by Harney and Sons...one of my favorites.

Peggy I had to laugh when I thought about me sitting on tea boxes...then I thought well you better add accessories with them how else am I to have tea. Peggy how soon should Jax get his first hair cut? It is so cold here I am afraid he will be cold...I have been brushing him daily and he actually likes it. Getting a hair cut could be another story though

Judy I hope you feel better soon. I giggled when you said you were off to do something destructive...lol...won't that be a sight.

Sue welcome back. I too am on Weight Watchers and almost to my goal weight but I hit a snag over the holidays so trying to get back into routine

ruthie dear how are you and how is your pain. You know I been praying for you girlie

Bunny see you are settling into school again. Glad to hear kitty is doing well.

Well I am one tired butterfly tonight. It was a long and busy week so off to relax with a good book.

love to you all
Tammy

Tea is like being in the stars with God.

Visit my blog~Teacup Lane http://frommyteacup.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2012 :  9:18:29 PM  Show Profile
Went shopping today. With my Bday money my parents sent I got THREE new pairs of shoes. The store was having an end of season sale. SCORE! So I got $80 shoes for $30. Then I went and got the black shawl. I'm so happy to have it. Silly the things that give me such joy. But now that I've looked at the patterns you all shared I'm tempted to make some too. I have a smidgen of the money left so I'm going to set it aside and use it towards a charm bracelet. I want a bracelet with charms that reflect my life. Wedding, children, horses, poodle, Malamute, nubian goats etc. The things that make me, me. Then someday at the end of my life my children can see a symbol of all the things I cherished in my life. And until then I can enjoy it! Everytime I wear it I can look at and touch the symbols of the things that have brought joy to my life. Hmmmmm..... you may catch the idea that I'm a sentimental person.... :D

Sorry, I'm bushed. Woke up at 3am this morning so I'm going to hit the hay and hopefully sleep all night this time. Blessings.

Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2012 :  10:54:00 PM  Show Profile
Penny, good for you on the not smoking. I know it is hard but so good for you in the long run. I was blessed with a nonaddictive body. When I was much younger I smoked for a time. I was so uncoordinated. I use to knock off the burning end and burn myself all the time. Such a klutz. Big message not to do it any more. For me it was easy. Just threw them away. I know it is not so easy for all you gals that have smoked for years. I will say a prayer for you that you can do it for good.

Julie, love the fairy button! I had friends that use to give me bunny buttons for gifts. I really don't collect bunnies but love buttons they found. Sounds like a cool project.

Pam I think books are always better than what ends up on the screen. They have to leave so much out and it never comes out right. I did read the books as a teen. I love children's books even as an adult. I use to have a gift shop and had a large children's book section. I loved to read them so I could help parents pick out books for their kids. I never failed to make a sale on a book I had read.

Kimberly, good for you on buying the shawl. Now if you make one, you can take your time.

That skinny tea from Davids sounds good! I'll have to search it out!

Spent almost all day doing homework. Soooo much writing. I'm a little stressed that I will leave some assignment undone. I am trying to think of a better way to organize what is due and when. My accounting class is much harder this quarter. Plus last class instead of teaching us what we needed to know to do the homework, he went off on a tangent. Now we are borderline clueless. I have an other classmate coming over on Sunday and hopefully between the two of us we will figure out what to do. I like my writing class. There is so much I have forgotten about good writing skills. With all the book ideas I have, maybe I will actually work on one and do a half way decent job. My first essay was about losing my dog Scooby. By the time I got to the end I was crying and had to stop. I was suppose to write about something significant that I had lost. 2009 was such a terrible year and I lost so much it was hard to decide what to write about.

Well, I'm off to bed. I'm going to breakfast with a friend tomorrow. Then back to the books again. I don't know how high school kids with 6 or 7 classes do it. I only have 4 and with the 2 and 3 assignments for each class two days a week, I'm swamped!

Stay warm and get healthy all you sickos! I'll say a health prayer for you.

Farmgirl number 3738

www.bunnyrose.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 669 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page