Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic
Page: of 669

22angel
True Blue Farmgirl

498 Posts

Pam
Manitoba
Canada
498 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2012 :  4:53:47 PM  Show Profile
Happy Friday evening Porchies!

Bunny - I am very jealous of your jammie day! I always want one of them, but the only way I'm going to get it is if I move to the country....so far, it's not working :p. Even in the -40 windchill, I still walked to work (it's easier for me to walk than to start my car - cantankerous, cranky old beast that it is - for only 4 blocks). I have enough winter stuff so I'm all good. And the fresh air is great. Especially when you're cooped up inside all day.

Penny - good for you for quitting smoking! I wish my sister would - she's always complaining that they never have any money, but with the amount that they spend on smokes (at $10-12 a pack - Canadian pack, not American! I think there is 25 in a pack?), they could have enough money for other things too! And they would be a whole lot healthier, not to mention the kids too!

Megan - glad to hear school is going good for you :). Are you going to post a pic of your "new" hair??

Bunny - I agree - your old boss is cracked in the head & she just wants to try to use you again. Ignore her!

Nan - I hope they don't close your road - that sucks! Is there another way around it, like a back way or something?

Bunny - good luck with the sewing all day.

I am so happy today is Friday - 2 whole days to myself! And no work! Well, besides my list for the weekend, which includes moving furniture around so I can turn on the heaters on the north wall in case it gets to the -40C range again. I hope not, but it was a little chilly! And I didn't have to stay late tonight! Last night, I stayed an extra half an hour b/c of a late pickup (that bill is gonna be huge!). And it's warming up, so I'm happy. I better make my list of things to do for the weekend before I forget....And I need to decide what I'm going to make for crockpot meals - I'm thinking some vegetarian things, since I'm a little limited on money right now. I forgot to pay my phone bill for a couple of months, so it was a bit pricier than usual (it comes online, not a paper copy, so I tend to forget about it, especially if it's the beginning of the month or it's an "off week" - meaning I don't get paid til next week). I'll have to take a look & see what I have & what's on sale. Have a great night Ladies!

Life isn't about finding yourself. It's about creating yourself.

"When I grow up, I want to be dirt." seen on a box through construction in Wyoming 2010
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2012 :  5:11:11 PM  Show Profile
Pam- I wrote myself a bill check off list for the month. I wrote what has to be paid with each paycheck. Then I can look on bill paying day and see what I need to pay and what has already been paid. It's helped organize my mail time, too. Since I know I won't be paying bills till a certain day, I usually don't even open the mail till that day. Unless something looks important, of course. I get a lot of mine online now, too.

My little garden is certainly cranking out the lettuce. I don't have to buy lettuce now. Tonight I brought in lettuce, microgreens, swiss chard, spinach, and kale. Looks like a salad night for me. Have a great night ladies!

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2012 :  6:47:11 PM  Show Profile
Julie, I'm jealous! Salad greens in January. I see nothing but snow and ice out my window. But then, I know you get the mega heat in summer don't you. It gets hot here too. But good for you having a garden to enjoy. Healthy too.

Pam, way too cold up your way for me! My truck cries at just under 30 degrees. Even plugging it in doesn't stop the groaning on a really cold morning. Good for you for walking. With the ice around here, I'd be on my butt in no time.

Farmgirl number 3738

www.bunnyrose.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

nanr42
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Nan
WALDPORT Oregon
USA
160 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2012 :  7:00:37 PM  Show Profile
The only back way route is 130 miles. It's an hour and ahalf or so inland (if that road stays open and not flooded), then back by the other road (ditto) to get to Newport.

I just read they are starting repairs immediately and that should protect that section from completely closing all the time. I just don't want to be stranded in Newport away from my little cat. So if that happens (I have several things in Newport tomorrow) then I will drive Hwy. 20 to Corvallis and back on 34 to Waldport. If they are open. urk.

It's funny to read about -40 degrees in Manitoba and lettuce coming up in Texas. What a spread out bunch we are.
Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2012 :  7:19:22 PM  Show Profile
Hi porchies,
It has been a busy week with my little butterrflies, going to wrestling matches for my sons, and getting ready for big basketball tourny at my school. And it is freezing cold here. Was a high of 10 today.

Miss Peggy thanks for info for Jax. I trimmed his hair around his face so I could see his eyes. He was not impressed had to give him a treat. Little stinker knows where I keep them. He sits in front of the cupboard and barks when he knows he gets one. It just makes me laugh. His hair is nice and shiny from brushing.

Megan I believe I am ont he birthday list but not sure. Let me know.

Angela my prayers for you and your family. Hang in there.

Ruthie so glad that you are doing better and able to go shopping.

To all the newbies welcome.

I hear my teakettle so I am off to have a cup of tea and read for a bit.

love to you all
Tammy

Tea is like being in the stars with God.

Visit my blog~Teacup Lane http://frommyteacup.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2012 :  9:56:40 PM  Show Profile
Megan dear...when did I miss that you had gone blonde. I so can't picture you a blonde...you have such pretty brown hair...not mousie looking, but shiny and healthy. Looks like you have some natural red highlights in it too. I am glad that you are "so over being blonde" but it is fun to try new colors I must admit.

Marly...tell us a little bit about yourself, since it has been awhile since you were on The Porch.

Dianne...we too got a gift card for the movie Theater but there has been nothing playing that we have wanted to see. Either I like the sound of it or my husband likes the sound of one...but neither of us want to see what they other wants to. So, we will wait until something comes up that we both are excited to see.

Bunny...we didn't get the freezing rain and ice but it sounds like you are suppose to get more tonight.
Stay safe my friend!
Another pajama day for me too.
Bunny, I am so glad that you were able to tell your ex-boss that life is going well for you. Bet that wasn't what she wanted to hear ....
All the Better!!!!

Julie...seriously lettuce in the Winter...wow, we are all jealous!

Nan...I have been hearing more and more bad news from your area. I pray that you get no more flooding and that the roads will not be a problem much longer. Just be safe and we are praying for you.

Pam...enjoy your weekend. I remember when I was working...I lived for the weekends and Holidays. LOL

Judy...what are you doing besides putting the Tea List together. You've been sorta quiet on here lately. Miss your humor girl!

Teacher Tammy...Hope you have a nice weekend too...with lots of Jax loves and time for tea and reads.

Ruthie Ann...I have your dishcloth ready to go out on Monday. ~ Been going like crazy trying to get all my MJF Projects ready to mail-out that same day. It will happen!!!!! That is my Mantra for the weekend..."It will happen" LOL

OK...I am off for some yummy choc. tea and my book too.

Hugs and Smiles,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

"Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch"

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be His!

Edited by - LadyInRed on Jan 21 2012 09:15:34 AM
Go to Top of Page

22angel
True Blue Farmgirl

498 Posts

Pam
Manitoba
Canada
498 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2012 :  06:03:01 AM  Show Profile
Yes, Peggy, I live for weekends & 3 day weekends. Wouldn't be so bad if the government would let us work 4 day work weeks & get 3 day weekends - it sucks that you have to spend 5 out of 7 days doing work for "others" & only get 2 days off. I don't know why they can't make 4 day work weeks & 3 day weekends - wouldn't that be better for everyone? Less burnout, less debt, more family time, less stress, less illness...the list could go on forever! Can't wait for the day when I only have me to work for!

Well, Porchies, I'm sitting here enjoying my cup of tea (I'm having Silk Dragon Jasmine green tea from David's Tea today) & thinking of my list I want/need to get done. I decided I wasn't going to the Big City today so I could do all this stuff. Thankfully my apartment is not that big, so it should only take me all day to do everything I want! Haha. I want to move the furniture around, dust, vacuum, laundry, clean the kitchen & bathroom...and anything else that comes to mind. If I get a chance, I want to do my bedroom too, but it's not a big deal. I need to make at least 4 crockpot meals (better check & see what I have first, I may have to go uptown & buy some stuff!) since I'm not home next weekend. I have to go get the mail anyways, so if I decide what I'm going to make beforehand, I can pick up some groceries while I'm up there instead of making another trip....Have a good Saturday everyone!

"When I grow up, I want to be dirt." seen on a box through construction in Wyoming 2010
Go to Top of Page

DEW
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

Dianne
Weiser Idaho
USA
317 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2012 :  07:07:45 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning
There is fresh sourdough bread and honey butter for those that visit the porch today. The patato bread is still riseing, I'll drop some by tomorrow .
We have had nothing but rain since our little snow storm. Snow predicted for Sunday but I am not holding out any hope for it.

Bunny by the time the weather you send us gets here it is just rain. Must have trubble making it over the mountains with any force. :( I would love to spend a day in jammies and sewing.
Maybe I can get some sewing done today. DH has to put in 4-6 hours at work today. :( He was not feeling to good when he left this morning. Date night maybe off till next weekend. :(

If I am going to get any sewing done I had better get moving. Have a great day everyone.

Dianne (ID)
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2012 :  1:20:44 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Hi all, wow is it raining cats and dogs here today...lightening too...nice day to sit inside and watch movies. DH and I finally got around to watching "The Blind Side" it was a great movie. I also made a fruit cocktail cake. I got the recipe from one of the ladies from MJF. Can't remember who, but saying thank you to who ever it was. It was so easy and good. I do think I will add a little more flour next time...I think it could use it to help make the cake a little firmer.

Kimberly, thank you for the sweet words, today is day 11, and not smoking is going pretty good. What kind of oils did you find that helps with pain? I am having to take arthritis meds and pain meds and really would like to take less or none at all if I could find something that would help. Without them I can't get out of bed without yelling out in the mornings...Arthritis of all kinds run in my family...I've had so many family members that have been crippled by it. Good luck with your working out...I have faith that you can do it....so are you trying to get back into that wedding dress again????lol..

Janet, thank you...and congrats on 8 years. I like what you say about being stronger than the cigarette. I think that is a great way of looking at it.

Peggy, thank you...I appreciate the support. Day 11 today.... I am going to have to try that chocolate tea someday...that is if I can find it...I've never seen it, where do you get your's from?

Megan, I haven't been on much lately but am so glad to see you here...thank you for your support on me not smoking too...having all of you behind me helps... You said that your Uncle lives in Atlanta and that for 2 inches they have snow days...well let me tell ya, you don't want to be around these crazy southerns when it snows...they really don't know how to drive in it. I lived in TN for 5 years and we had snow alot so I had to learn to drive in it...but I'm from SC and now live in GA and it is scary being out if it snows here...very, very scary. But I agree I think it is funny that things come to a halt here with just a couple inches of snow. I'm glad you are going back to your natural hair color...I bet it suits you better....you are do smart for the blonde jokes people tell...lol.

Bunny, thanks for being behind me in my not smoking, you as the others are so sweet. I agree your ex boss is touched in the head...lol..glad to hear you are doing so well in your studies...I had no doubt you would do good. Oh and I love saving money...told DH I was going to do something really special on my one year anniversary for not smoking since I would have saved alot of money...lol...he just smiled...

Julie, thank you....I've been eating alot of oranges since I quit smoking, I guess that is as good as drinking juice..what do you think? I am so jealous that you are getting all those different greens...wow that sounds so good...I love salad and hearing all of your different ones makes me want a salad...dang...to wet and cold to go to the store...sure wish I could just go outside and pick some...good for you.

Marly, I said hi to you on the other board but want to say hi to you on the porch...glad you found a place to sit and enjoy this great group of ladies...we have lots of fun here and the food everyone shares has no calories...one of the best things of the porch...

Dianne, thank you, today is day 11, over the half way mark...thank you for cheering me on....Hope date night is fun tonight, can't wait to hear all about it. I make potato yeast rolls, I wonder if it is the same thing as your potato bread? yummy, now DH is going to love you...I may just have to get up and go start some bread...and now I see where you might have to put off date night...well if you do, it will be worth it I'm sure...just hope DH feels better when he gets home...tell him to get some rest.

Judy, take it easy with all that shoveling...don't want to spend the next few days in the bed. We also have had a lot of beautiful cardinals in the yard today...and blue jays too 1 or 2...but at least 4 male cardinals and I can't even tell you how many females. How is Mama doing? I hope she is doing well...

Hi Ruth Ann, not sure if we have met or not...just glad to have you on the porch.

Nan, thank you for your prayers, I'm not giving up...with all of you behind me, I have to keep it up...day 11 today. I look forward to hearing more about the oil for pain...I don't worry about smelling like a pizza..lol...since it is one of DH favorite foods...I really need to make some chicken and dumplings. It is one of my favorites. I have never made it for DH because he said all the ones he ever had were gummy, but I described mine to him and he is wanting to try them...I'm sure he will love them, it is my Momma's recipe and the best I've ever had.. Thank you for talking about them...I think I will go take out chicken for some tomorrow along with homemade bread since Dianne mentioned bread.

Pam, I love hearing of Bunny's jammies days, I have them everyday as long as I don't plan on leaving the house. One of the perks for working for DH out of the house...sorry don't mean to sound like I'm rubbing it in..lol Be careful out there walking in the cold please....stay bundled up too. Thank you too for the support on my not smoking...wow you ladies are the best. I understand the limited money thing. I wish I could find a part time job close to the house. Real estate business is so slow right now and we have been waiting 3 years for DH disability to start...still don't know when or if that will happen...so things are very tight here too...I'm hoping something happens soon or ...never mind, not going to go there right now... I love veggies more than meat..so veggies meals are good for me...and really love them more in the summer when the veggies are fresh from the garden...yummy..

Tammy, I bet every week with the little butterflies is busy, isn't it? How did the wrestling match go??? But ohhh you make me shiver talking about how cold it is there...burrrrr.. I have to cut our two little mini schnauzers hair around their eyes all the time...it grows so fast and gets in their eyes all the time...can you post a pic of Jax with his hair cut? He is so cute already.

Ok I guess I need to do something, either crochet or clean my cutting table of all the crafts I was working on before I hurt my ankle so I can start sewing for the spring...which is what I want to do..I didn't sew any while I was stuck in bed because keeping my foot hanging down made it hurt worse. I need to clean up now that I can move around...hope everyone has a great Sat.

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...

http://ourgeorgiafarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2012 :  6:21:56 PM  Show Profile
Hi ladies,
It is still frrreeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzing here. I believe the weatherman said 7 degrees. Yikes. 20 degreees will feel like a heatwave.

My sons did well in their wrestling matches. They didn't feel that they wrestled well. but they came home with a medal so as a mama I think that is good. Wrestling is very hard and sometimes I have a hard time watching cause they are in what my hubby calls crunch moves.

Did some errands after working at my school's basketball tourny and then graded the little butterflies papers so I could have tomorrow to just hang out with my sweet hubby and boys.

Penny I hope you had a great Saturday and got something accomplished.

Megan how did I miss you going blond? I don't remember you telling us that. Where are the pictures girl.

well ladies, I am off to have some tea and read a bit.

love to you all
Tammy

Tea is like being in the stars with God.

Visit my blog~Teacup Lane http://frommyteacup.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

nanr42
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Nan
WALDPORT Oregon
USA
160 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2012 :  9:08:13 PM  Show Profile
Gosh Bunny, I just figured out you live in The Dalles. We're practically neighbors. Yeah, you guys a bit north of us are getting all the freezing stuff. It's quiet again after rain last night.

I just sang with my chorus class from Oregon Coast Community College. They threw a retirement dinner for the president, and his name is O'Connor. So we sang a song called "Old Irish Blessing" that is a lovely arrangement, about may the wind be always at your back and the rain fall softly on your fields. This was at a hotel right down near the ocean, and the dining room with big windows. So as we sang that song, we could hear the rain like bullets hitting the glass. it was funny. Pretty song, tho.

And it's down in the 40s again, sigh. I keep not dressing for the right weather. I wore my raincoat, but forgot layers. I think I'll just store clothes inthe car, and I can put on more if I need them.geesh.

Thanks for your prayers, y'all. They are working on Hwy 101, and filling in the slide. They started early this morning with big equipment and diggers. Itwill take several days, but they say that it won't slide any more. They don't work on it at night, but still there are flaggers out there all night. I'm praying for them, too.

I'm home now in bed with my little cat, who is lying by my side.

re chicken and dumplings, I used MJF bakeover mix, and they came out just fine. Not slimy or anything. Not even soggy. Well, they soaked up the soup, but they didn't have a soggy texture. Next time I'll try the sour cream. I put parsnips in this lot (my new favorite food) and it was a bit sweet. more celery next time.

love to all, sleep well tonight.
Go to Top of Page

22angel
True Blue Farmgirl

498 Posts

Pam
Manitoba
Canada
498 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2012 :  5:57:01 PM  Show Profile
Dianne ID - Thanks for the bread & honey! How did your potato bread turn out? I've made potato bread a few times. I'm waiting for the day that I can get my mom's bread pan & make a whole bunch of bread loaves & freeze them, instead of either buying it or not having it lol. I made 2 loaves in the crockpot today - a plain white one & a herbed white one. Smells pretty good!

Penny - hope you didn't get too much rain! And you stayed dry :).

Hello Tea_Lady_Tammy :). I thought of you yesterday - I just didn't get an email to you!

Nan - Your singing group sounds like fun! I always have to take a sweater or something to put around my shoulders. I could care less about cold feet (usually!), but my shoulders need to be warm. Stupid tendonitis.

We're finally warm again! Only -10C/14F, so I am happy about that! It's supposed to be nice all week too, which will be wonderful after last week of having to stay inside all-day-every-day. I was a bit busy today, but that's ok. Yesterday I got all of my furniture/living room re-arranged so I can turn the heater on on the north side of the wall (I'm quite impressed to be able to do it all by myself - I was thinking the tv stand was going to have to wait for my cousin to come along!). So after Church today I cleaned the bathroom, coat closet (well, tidied it up a bit), then I made some meaty spaghetti sauce & chili-go-quickly in the crockpots, then I turned around & made 2 loaves of bread in the crockpots, some homemade instant oatmeal (regular/brown sugar & cinnamon and an almond one - not sure how that ones going to turn out. I ran out of cinnamon.) and I made some No-Bake-Energy-Bites (aka peanut butter balls with oatmeal & coconut). Not sure why they don't stick together that well, but they work. Now I'm just sitting down to my chili, bread & some water! My cousin stopped by today too, which was nice. We don't see each other as often as we used to.

Hope you all had a great Sunday!

Go to Top of Page

sue5901
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Sue
Wellingborough
United Kingdom
122 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2012 :  02:13:29 AM  Show Profile
Hi all

Wow had to laugh at your comments about towns closing down in a few inches of snow - try it here the whole country shuts down!!! But in fairness I saw snow when I was 12 and the next time I was 42 so by the time the County had dug its only snowplough out from under all the cobwebs it was a bit late. We have had a lot of snow in the last two winters so we are getting better at coping but in honesty it could be another 30 years before we see it again!!

Pam - I am so with you on wanting 4 day weeks. I have just applied for a job that will offer me that very thing. I have been shortlisted but don't really think I'm going to get it but I'm hoping.

Penny - you are doing so well quiting smoking -its really tough, I tried so many times before I finally managed it. Knitting worked for me, gave me something to do with my hands.

Hope everyone has a good week

Sue

Dance like nobody's watching!
Go to Top of Page

nabrown42
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Nancy
Caneyville KY
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2012 :  09:34:54 AM  Show Profile
Just a brief not to let everyone know that Spraky's owner came over on Thursday and took her to his parent's home where he had been living. He made a pallet of straw for her in a shed so that she would be out of the elements and she perked up a lot. She even started to eat and drink that day and Friday morning. When he came home that evening, she had passed away. She will be missed by all who knew her. There are few creatures who can give so much pleasure and ask so little in return than a good dog. She lived 17 years on this earth but will be in our hearts forever.

"I've wept in the night for the shortness of sight that to someone's needs I've been blind; but I've yet to feel a twinge of regret for being a little too kind."
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2012 :  10:04:55 AM  Show Profile
Good afternoon ladies. Wow has this morning flown. Weather here in Michigan has been extremely weird. Saturday it was 9' when we got up and snow on the ground. It was a very cold blustery night as Pooh would say. Today it's supposed to be close to 50' and it's raining. I keep telling people we're going to pay for this unusual weather somewhere down the road but everybody keeps insisting it's going to be like this all winter.

Pam I'm totally with you on working less. The government cut my hours back to 30 hours/wk. I have to work 5 - 6 hr days but it's amazing how less stressed I feel having those 2 hours back each day. If it wasn't for the lack of money it would be fabulous.

I was doing some investigating and there's a couple sites for Virtual Assistants. As soon as I get my tax return back and can buy myself a computer I think I will put up my resume on a couple of the sites and see if I can get some additional work that way. Has anybody tried doing this? It would be awesome if I could work from home again even part time. I loved when I did medical transcription from home. One has to be careful you don't get in the pj's every day mentality though. It was such a content feeling typing in front of our big bay window at night with snow falling and the fireplace going.

Tammy you should post a picture of Jax with his new dew. I seriously need to give Oreo a face trimming. I can give her a mohawk at this point her hair is so long around her eyes - granted she does look adorable with a mohawk Lol.

It's been a stressful weekend so I'm needing a bit of relaxing fun. Last night we went to a local microbrewery and I had a glass of orange mead and they're homemade black cherry soda - both were very tasty. Tonight's my MJF local meeting. The man has taken to calling it the Cackling Hen's Night LOL - guess it might be appropriate. I'm wishing there was a group closer - in this nasty weather the 1+ hr drive for the meetings can be a bit stressful. I might have to opt out during the winter and only go when the weather is nicer.

Well break time is over and back to work. Have a great day everybody!

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
http://twilightburrough.blogspot.com/
Warren, MI
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2012 :  1:27:16 PM  Show Profile
Hi ladies. Hope you're having a good day. I went outside and took some garden pictures so you can see that lettuce poppin up everywhere. There's some other veggies and soon it will be time to plant tomatoes! Today I went by the library and picked up a book on traveling in Europe. DH and I figured out our cars will both be paid off this year and if we set aside the car payment money then we'll be able to take a once in a lifetime trip to Ireland and Germany. We'll visit our roots and see where we came from hundreds of years ago. It won't be for 18 months to 2 years but there's lots to do. We don't even have passports. Crossing fingers and it'll be fun to dream about. Mailed out some Farmgirl mail today. Have a great day ladies. I'm going to spend the rest of my day reading.

Go to Top of Page

DEW
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

Dianne
Weiser Idaho
USA
317 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2012 :  1:48:11 PM  Show Profile
Good Afternoon
Date night was a go. DH felt better when he got home from work. That was about 1:30pm. He had lunch and took a shower then we headed for the city.
We had a little time so we walked through Cabelas. We looked at all the cool stuff and did a little dreaming. We ate at the Outback restaurant. He had a big steak and I had the small steak with shrimp and scalops. I love the surf and turf thing. Then we went to see Sherlock Holmes 2. It was prety good. Of course Jude Law, who plays Dr. Watson, is not hard to look at. :) We were home a little after 10pm so that made it nice and relaxed evening. Next date night might not be so relaxing. I told him I wated to go dancing next time the Grange held a dance. You should have seen his face. LOL :)

Penny still cheering you on. I know you can go smoke free.

Pam the patato bread turned out really good. I had just pulled it out before Dh got home and when I went by to change for date night there was a big slice missing. LOL He loves fresh bread. The patato bread I make hs honey instead of sugar and I like to use the blackberry honey. It gives it a really good flavor.

Julie We wont be planting tomatos till May if we are lucky. I can't believe you will be planting them soon.
Your lettice looks yummy. I looked at some in the store and it was ok but not as good as home grown.

We have had rain, no snow. They are predicting rain all week. Pray for me. I do not do well with gray sky and rain for days on end.

Dianne (ID)
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2012 :  6:22:08 PM  Show Profile
OK.....I have a funny story for you! Mama asked me if I was bucking for FGOTM again! I said, "No,
but I know these Gals will appreciate a funny story and these things only seem to happen to me!" LOL
So without further ado...here goes!
DH and I went out this evening to Goodwill, Big Lots and Tractor supply for some supplies. First,
when I was getting dressed to go out, I decided to wear an old pair of T-strap black leather Echoes(shoes)
that I use to wear when I worked in Pharmacy. Nice, comfy earth-shoes. I haven't worn them in a long time.
Anyhoo....I noticed the soles were sticking to the kitchen & bathroom linoleum floor, but thought I must
have stepped in something and thought no more of it. I needed to hurry, DH was ready to go.
We go thru Goodwill, nothing much there, but my shoes were still sticking to the floor. So we go next
to Big Lots to look for an area rug to cut up because DH decided that Rascal(cat)needed a little hut/scratching
post and he wanted to make it. We finished ripping out our L-room carpet today and he was going to use parts of
it to make it but decided that it was too old and thread-bare and we'd just buy a cheap area rug at a discount
store.So when we get out of the car at Big Lots and walk into the store, I noticed that my right, big toe was wet
and cold. I thought "Great", I've sprung a hole in my old shoes at a side seam near the sole. But I had new soles
put on right before I retired and they aren't THAT old.We had 50's and rain off and on all day, so we had
puddles everywhere. We walk into the store and I pick up my foot and look at my sole, just out of curiosity,
and there is a half-dollar size hole at my big toe!~WHAT!~ What's going on here. I told DH, "I have a hole
in the sole of my shoe." We got our rug and left and went to Tractor Supply and as we were walking around I glanced
down at my feet and OMGosh....my shoe-soles were disentigrating....right before my eyes! I kid you not!!!
I say to Hubby, "LOOK!!!!!!!" (actually,more like a shriek...."LOOK") Poor guy, it wasn't HIS fault! They were MY shoes!
Stupid shoes! We get our cat food and bird seed and are walking toward the front to the check-out and I look down
again, and there are pieces of my soles all over the floor behind me! HONEST!!! You know how it looks when you step
in a pile of "doggy-doo" and it squishes out around your shoe.....ya.....that's what my soles were doing!!! It was
a TOTAL MELT-DOWN!!!! I have never seen anything like it! EVER!!! As we walk up the aisle,DH decides he wants to look
at different bags of bird-seed, and I shriek again and practically shove him, and say, "Let's GO!!!! There were pieces
of me Everywhere! There was a man behind me in the check-out and I'm sure he was just staring at my feet!!! LOL I felt it!
When we finally got to the car Dh says,"I wonder if Thompson's, our neighborhood diner, had ham'n bean soup tonight.
Again I shriek,"WE are NOT going anywhere else, we are going home and eat left-overs!" All I could think of was getting those
awful shoes off and into the trash and get my warm,dry socks&slippers on! DH says, "You and I are the only ones that know that
Your shoes are falling apart, and I'M NOT telling anyone!" hahaha Poor man!!
By the time we got home and I took my shoes off, the back half of the one sole was completely gone plus the hole in the toe,
and the other shoe was starting!
Hubby said that the poor floor crew at the store will be wondering what's all over their floor when they clean tonight!
....So....that's my day!
How was yours?
*giggle*

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
"Why couldn't I have been born Rich instead of So Good Looking?"
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2012 :  6:32:23 PM  Show Profile

Talken about food and date nights and home-made bread and all that yummy sorta stuff we love...
I just had to send you a picture of a pretty cup of coffee I was served last Saturday in a
quaint little place in down town Vancouver called The Rosemary Cafe. My youngest son and his
future bride to be wanted to go out to breakfast and invited me along...but I had already had
mine at home...so I just ordered a specialty coffee and sat and chatted with them. The coffee was
as scrumptious as it was pretty...but I almost hated to drink it. LOL

We are still having the strangest weather here girls and it is just killing me. Today was our first
dry day in a couple weeks so...I ran like crazy all morning and got my shopping done. Got home by
1:00 and had to head for the bed for a nap...as my chronic fatigue hit me about 12:30.

I mailed $50.00 worth of MJF Swap stuff today. All my trades for January and February...and I think I
am going to have to cut back for awhile. Man that postage adds up fast no matter how you try to keep
it in balance. Whew!

Julie...I hope you and hubby get to make that Trip to Europe. That would be wonderful just to plan and
dream about for the next couple of years. Half the fun is in the planning I swear! ~ And look at that
lettuce. It would have freezing rain all over it here. lol

As most of you know...I am Medically Retired...but I have always been and still am...100% for the 4 day work week. We literally kill ourselves working the hours we do in this Country. It is terrible. EVERYONE would be a lot less stressed and a lot more mentally and physically healthy with 4 days on 3 days off.

Well, DH wants me to come watch some TV with him. So, more later girls.

Living Loved,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be His!
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2012 :  06:05:01 AM  Show Profile
Judy, you poor thing! I have had some shoes do the same thing. Why didn't you buy some new ones while you were out so you could stay out? I know Tractor Supply has shoes! Ah well, hope your day is better today.

Peggy, I agree with a shorter work week. I can definitely tell a difference between working 2 days and 3 days. I AM looking forward to planning the trip. I think DH and I are more excited about getting the bills paid off. Before reading and listening to Dave Ramsey, it was something we had never thought could happen to people like us. Just figured that was the way of the world.

O.k. girls. Lots of reading to do. Got a Bible Study at 1. Just about to the middle of Outlander, so GOOD! Gotta get the buns fed. They are fat and happy by the way. So basically, a regular busy day.

Go to Top of Page

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2012 :  06:53:30 AM  Show Profile
Today's another dreary gray day with possible rain. It's more a misty rain then a shower. I'm feeling exhausted. Wanted to turn over and go back to sleep when the alarm went off this morning. Thankfully once I get off work I can stay home. Being out 2 nights in a row with still being sick just was too much for me apparently, but they were quite enjoyable.

Julie - I'm so excited for you. I would so love to go to Germany and Ireland. Actually to just about any country. I still have relatives living in Germany on my Grandfather's side. I've never talked with them but it would be nice to track them down. The gardening pictures made me envious. Nothing growing here right now although if the weather stays like it has been I might consider a cheap cold frame and see if I can grow at least some lettuce.

Diane - that bread sounds delicious. Would you consider sharing the recipe?

Judy - Oh wow. I've had shoes fall apart before but never to that level. I would have probably boughten a pair at one of the stores you were at.

Well work is calling. Have a great day everybody!

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
http://twilightburrough.blogspot.com/
Warren, MI
Go to Top of Page

beekeepersgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2012 :  10:16:35 AM  Show Profile
Hi everyone -

Just a reminder that it you want to participate in my 1000 posts give-away, you need to e-mail me by Monday, 1/30.

Hope to hear from you!

Luanne

beekeepersgirl #691

Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.
Go to Top of Page

nanr42
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Nan
WALDPORT Oregon
USA
160 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2012 :  10:16:45 AM  Show Profile
Judy, that's so funny about your shoes. I have a pair with what I thot was rubber, but the edges are beginning to peel away like that. I'll have to be careful, I guess.

Julie, thanks for all the lovely pics of lettuce and spring!I'm eyeing my sword fern because it will need whacking to the ground in feb. I guess I could prune my roses, too.

Nancy, I'm sorry to hear about Sparky, but glad, too, that now there's no more suffering, the poor dear.

Pam, I make peanut butter balls too, (no coconut or oatmeal) and mine calls for honey and some powdered milk and then a little milk to mix it all together. They stick.

It's pouring and blowing yet again after a cool sunny day yesterday. But it isn't blwoing as hard as it has been lately, more normal winter storm. But I'm starting to actually gather some emergency supplies for the car.

god bless you days today.
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2012 :  4:40:41 PM  Show Profile
Judy darlen...again you had me rolling on the floor. I had a pair of Echoes that I bought in Canada...and they were great for work. But Praise God I got rid of them before they had a nuculear size melt-down like yours. LOL I agree with the other girls...I would have been showing my honey how pathetic they were getting each step of the way...and whined for a new pair so that we could still go to dinner. You missed your chance there girlfriend. God gave you an "Open Toe" and you just blew it. Ha Ha Ha!!!!

OK...Julie, Bunny and Pam, I started reading the Outlander again and now I know why I quit before...it's boring me to tears.
Please tell me that it is going to get better because I am ready to toss it back into The Cloud. I am pretty much in the beginning...she has just gone through the Medicine and Herbal Shack and cleaned it out of all the weird stuff like
Ear of Mouse and such. Then she finds Jamie holding a young thing on his lap and kissing her, and then the old man tells her that Jamie needs a "Woman not a girl" and that the girl she saw him with will still be a young girl when she is 50. So...from there...how long until it starts picking up and getting good. And is it ssooooo sssslllloooowwww...all the way through?

OK, got that off my chest. If a book doesn't grab my attention in the first fourth of the book...it's history, unless I have people urging me to stick with it because it will get better. I did that with Francine Rivers...Mark of The Lion Series. The very first book...I almost pitched it...but I had a friend who read it...and she said, "No, don't give up on it...you just got through the worst part and now it gets reeeaaallllyyyy good.
So, on her word alone...I plunged ahead and I was so glad that I did. The whole series was fanominal!!!!

Usually, I think that if a book doesn't have my attention a 1/4th of the way in to it...that there are just too many other good books out there waiting for me to read....So Move On, Peggy!

Nancy...I just can't help but feel like Sparkies owner didn't want to face the Vet Bills. But I do get that too. They can be unbearable when money is tight but...we do what we have to do. ~ I am just happy that they dog is no longer suffering...and though he will be greatly missed...he is running free and happy in the after life. People often ask me "Do you think there will be animals in Heaven?" I say absolutely..."If Jesus is returning on a White Horse...then there are animals in Heaven."

Nan...are you still getting high winds at The Coast? What a mess down there.
Praying for you all.

OK...Judy started this but it reminded me of a story my Grandma told as her most embarrassing moment. She was walking down town Portland...in the 60's I think...and she was stopped at a cross walk waiting to cross the street...when all of a sudden the elastic on her panties decided they had been stretched too many times...and they just fell right down to her ankles. I said, "Oh, gosh Grandma were there alot of people standing there with you?" She said, "Yes, too many". I said, "Well, what did you do?" She said, "The only thing I could do...I just stepped out of them and kept walking and I never looked back." Oh, gosh...I would have been mortified! I think the only embarassing thing I can remember is that I wore a pull-over Sweater inside out all day at work, (seams on the outside and
tags flapping in the wind) and I didn't notice it until I got home to change clothes. I couldn't believe that non-of my co-workers said anything to me about it all day long. (you find out fast who your friends are don't you? LOL)

Well, I got another tooth extracted today. And they wanted to set me up to have the last 6 front ones extracted in a week and I said, I couldn't come up with the extra $505.00 that quickly (you have to pay up front as you go). So, I made it for February 22nd. I am still nervous about going around with no teeth for 4-8 wks. Yuck!!! And double Yuck!!! So, keep me in your prayers.

Hugs and Loves,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Edited by - LadyInRed on Jan 24 2012 4:47:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

22angel
True Blue Farmgirl

498 Posts

Pam
Manitoba
Canada
498 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2012 :  5:04:52 PM  Show Profile
FarmDream Julie - your garden greens look yum! I'm jealous...but our weather here is fabulous, so I won't complain :p.

Herblady Judy - That's terrible about your shoes! Sometimes they just wear out, even if you aren't wearing them. Disappointing, isn't it?

Peggy - what specialty coffee did you get? It looks yummy! About Outlander - which book/page are you on? That doesn't sound like the first one to me, but it's been quite a few months since I read it last...Claire went through the "stones" & wound up in 1745 (I think), and she doesn't understand what's going on, and nobody exactly trusts her b/c of her accent (or lack of one) & her last name, but she finds that she'd rather be with the Scottish Highlanders than the English Army....I do agree that some parts of the series are a little "slow", but it does pick up, especially in the next book or two. I personally think the series are fantastic, but that's just my opinion. Can't particularly say I like the Lord John Series, but they are readable for me.

Well, I finally got the phone call for getting my tonsils out - Feb 6! It's only 2 weeks away! Which is good. The lady I talked to didn't really like the fact that I was going to phone her back tomorrow morning to let her know for sure that it was ok. I told her I was at a job that doesn't really allow for immediate time off kind of thing, so I'd have to double check & make sure it was alright. Thankfully the new director said it would be alright. I can't wait. A whole week & a half off! Lovely! (And then a 3 day weekend after I go back. Even nicer!) Now just to get things figured out about who's going to take me/pick me up from the hospital & all that un-fun stuff. I'm kind of hoping that I can get Feb 3rd off, b/c I have the afternoon of the 1st off, the 2nd off for a different, un-related medical appointment, and Mom's taking me since it's in the crazy, freaky, screwed up city (where I know nothing about where to go or how to get there!), so I'm thinking & hoping that I can just go to Mom's, then we can to the hospital on Monday morning & it'll all be good. I have my doubts about it actually working out like that...but you can always hope, right?

The weather here is wonderful this week! Tomorrow is supposed to be +5C/40F. Which is crazy weather for January, but at least we're going outside! It's so nice to be able to go outside with the kids, especially near the end of the day. Now let's hope it doesn't rain tomorrow :s.

Well, I think I'm going to make a few CDs, do some dishes (where is that darn dish fairy?? She keeps skipping my place!), and put a few things away. Have a good night everyone!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 669 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page