Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic
Page: of 669

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2012 :  08:36:50 AM  Show Profile
Peggy, do we have any parameters for our 500 swap other than timing and pictures?

Farmgirl number 3738

My blog: www.bunnyrose.com
My shop: www.bunnyroseco.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

Missus Miranda
True Blue Farmgirl

285 Posts

Miranda
Thrall TX
USA
285 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2012 :  08:39:02 AM  Show Profile
Peggy, I have ink on each bicep, too, but these I wanted to show up so I can hold my hands out and show them to someone who's fixin' to give up. They've helped more than once!

Julie I was 28 before I got my first one. I tended to be like you but when Daddy passed, I got a memorial to him on my left bicep (It's sort of my take on his old Navy tattoo, plus a couple extras. One day, when I can afford to finish it, I'm going to add more to it.) The stars came from a dream I had long before I got them done. Here's the funny part of it. I was dreaming I was in down town Round Rock, at what used to be a friend's shop. My mother and i would go down town after school when I was in Junior High and wander around her shop and I LOVED the old Victorian era building. So, somehow, Ami James (of Miami Ink fame) was in this dream, doing the tattoo. He wore a black teeshirt, blue jeans and white sneakers, and he is, of course, bald. He talked to me about the tattoo, and about Josh, and sort of gave me guidance without giving me guidance, if that makes sense. I had planned just to have the words done very simply, till I had that dream and saw the stars he added around them.

Well, at the time of this dream, Josh and I were just first dating, and a few short weeks later, we broke up. The dream was starting to make sense. I was devistated, as I could not understand why we broke up. A month later, I ran into him while on a lunch break and we began talking again. Within two months, we were back together, and inseperable (even after he was transferred up to Oklahoma for 7 months!).

In January 2011, we took a weekend trip to Ft Worth to see each other for our birthdays. That Sunday, we went down to the Stockyards and wandered around, and stopped at a little old building that houses a shop called Tattoo Ranch. It's actually two buildings... one is the lobby, one is the studio. When it was time for the session to start, Josh stayed in the lobby with the other artist and discussed covering the tattoo on his shoulder (the original artist did a HORRIBLE job). Now, the words "EVER" and "ONWARD" are considerably unbalanced in length, so, they wanted to add something in to make the tattoos more even. I'd already decided to include Ami's stars, and figured, since I am always staring at the moon, why not add the moon? It's purple in honor of my darling Josh, whose favorite color is purple.

Well, as I sat there, gritting my teeth and looking around, I realized something.... it was an old Victorian building, the artist was curious but not overly chatty, and... he was a square shouldered guy, shaven head, in a black teeshirt, blue jeans, and white sneakers. Talk about weird!!!!

WELL now that I have bored you all ;)

Loose ends are coming together for the house. I am getting less and less nervous. I'm still trying to NOT get my hopes up, but I am not as scared. If everything happens the way it should (relatively speaking) Then closing will be May 18.

OH And Julie, I am starting to wonder about the size of the units, myself.... I remember thinking it looked so huge compared to the one at my mother's house, yet, our house doesn't cool nearly as well as hers does. And, her house is a bit bigger than ours because of her vaulted ceilings. It won't be an issue much longer; one way or another, we're leaving that house. Even if we end up not getting the house and have to stay with Momma for a while, we are not staying. I've had enough with the neighbors, and the town we're in right now is just getting too big!

I'll be praying for you all! I may be awol again for a bit with everything going on, just so ya know. But, I will be in as much as possible!!

"I'm not trying to be mean or cantankerous. I just wish people would do the right thing, and use a little common sense." ~ Farmgirl 3535
Pflugerville, TX

http://www.bricolagewedding.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2012 :  08:46:30 AM  Show Profile
Hi all. We made it to the 500.
Bunny, how great for you. What a wonderful present.
Miranda, good job holding all together in the middle of that mess.
Blessings all

CMF
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2012 :  09:34:17 AM  Show Profile
Afternoon gals. I'm having some free time at work so thought I'd jump on. I envy you girls with tats. I would so love to get one, not sure of what, but I want one lol. DF is adament I'm not getting one. We shall see :O) I enjoyed my leftovers from last night for lunch. The Bacon Ranch Chicken heats up well. The man suggested we have his mother over in the near future for supper so I might use that recipe again.

I wasn't on over the weekend so I'm not sure if I shared that Matthew is back stateside from Afghanistan!!!! He landed Friday night. He called me Saturday afternoon. Hopefully he'll come back for a visit in the next 3 weeks. After they get back from that type of deployment they get 30 days vacation to re-adjust and decompress. He's planning to bring his girlfriend with.

Julie - I'll keep you and your husband in my thoughts. Hopefully he'll get what he needs when your elders come over. Last night was sort of like tuning into the COPS show at the end since we missed them breaking the door down and entering the home. I'm still in shock my dogs didn't react. I would have thought they'd be barking their heads off.

PeggyAnn - I may have to try some of that yarn you're using for an afghan. The patterning is similiar to the sock yarns I use. I can't start another project until I get this hat done and the man's socks. A crafter's work is never done :O)

Miranda - totally understand what you're going through with neighbors and town size. DF informed me they just announced on the news that the city I live, Warren, now has over 1 million people (YIKES!). Apparently everybody is leaving/fleeing Detroit and coming here and they're bringing nasty behaviors with them. Not for me. I want to live in a small town again.

If everybody wouldn't mind keep us in thoughts and prayers firstly for safety and secondly we still haven't heard back regarding the phone interview he did 2 weeks ago with Butler in North Dakota. We're assuming he's still in the running for the position since he hasn't gotten anything saying they filled the position or decided to go with somebody else.

Okay, back to work for me. It's looking sunny out still so I'm hoping to grill some brats and make baked beans for supper if it stays nice. Might make a salad or some cole slaw too. Might take the pups for another wander if the man lets me out of the house. Then again I might just curl up and read a book. We shall see what the night brings.

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
http://twilightburrough.blogspot.com/
Warren, MI
Go to Top of Page

nanr42
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Nan
WALDPORT Oregon
USA
160 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2012 :  10:40:21 AM  Show Profile
I'm sort of back. I've been sick and sleeping mostly for the last week and a half. and it was just a cold.

Better lately.
I couldn't read everythign I missed, but I did read about the bacon chicken recipe. Could I have the ranch dressing recipe?

The tattoo story is not boring at all. Or should I say the you and Josh story.

Nobody's stories are boring.

Tammy, it would prob be ok for him to phone and ask on the progress of the hiring. Even if they gave him a timeline or smoething, I'd still call, and say I was just checking in. Could say I have other job interviews, and i need to know what to tell them.

My friend and I are going house exploring this afternoon. I still need my tax return for my banker, and I haven't had time to talk to my Realtor yet, but I want to cruise norht and look at houses. So i need to stop this and print out the maps to find them.

I miss you all.
Praying for everytody, and I coulduse prayers too to get completly better.
I was very depressed about going to work both Mon and Wed. I think a lot of the problem is that my Inner Me has not submitted to God's plan here, so there's a conflict. I know this wont' be forever, but I have to be patient. So I have some work to do to bring all the parts of me around to surrender. It has improved a lot there, so it really isn't horrible at the moment.

THanks from Nan
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2012 :  1:23:29 PM  Show Profile
Nan - Of course. The recipe I used was modified from Dining on a Dime Cookbook.

1 cup mayo
1 cup buttermilk
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

Original recipe called for 1-2 tbsp onion flakes & 1-2 tsp dried parsley but I didn't have any so I left those out.

Combine ingredients and refrigerate. Makes 2 cups.

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
http://twilightburrough.blogspot.com/
Warren, MI
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2012 :  2:22:01 PM  Show Profile
Hi Gals!
Sarah, I e-mailed you!
Julie,hahahahaha....you crack me up!hahaha .... My mouth fell open and I thought..."Is She SERIOUS????" ROFL You NUT!!!
I'm keeping all your requests on my Prayer list Girls!
I bought 3 new herbs today to add to my garden collection...Rue, Summer Savory&Mexican Thyme. Man, they smell good!
Well, have a Great evening Gals!

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
"Why couldn't I have been born Rich instead of So Good Looking?"
Go to Top of Page

nanr42
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Nan
WALDPORT Oregon
USA
160 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2012 :  10:11:06 PM  Show Profile
Tammy, thanks, yum!

We looked around in a couple of little off beat neighborhoods, but probabl I won't live there because I dont' want to have to commute around Cape Foulweather in the winter. My friend does all the time, and doens't like it.

One yard had an entire bed of violets. They were a bit sparse, but still revivable. sigh.
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2012 :  10:23:18 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning Porchies,

I haven't been very faithful in staying in touch but I still come often to see what you are all up to!

I told you recently of my horse's death. I finally have a theory on what happened to him. I was distraught with the thought that maybe I had done something that caused it. My mom, at my request, contacted an old vet back home. He's been a vet for neigh on 50 years and has worked with more horses than most vets will ever see. Here's his theory. He said that old age is not a disease but it does lead to things happening. He thinks that he had an anueryism (sp)somewhere that led to a lack of blood flow to his stomach/intestines which caused a blockage and perhaps an eruption. The yellow fluid gushing out his nose would be the fluids exiting the body through the lungs/nose. He said nothing I did caused it (riding, feed, etc). This relieves me. I'm still heartbroken and traumatized at watching him suffer but I'm relieved that there wasn't anything I did that caused it or anything I could have done to stop it, it was just one of those things.

Thanks again to all of you for your kind words. I realize that my horse dieing isn't as serious as so many things that happen but its been painful just the same. So thank you. :)

Excuse the mess & the noise, my children are making happy memories

Sister #4045
Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2012 :  1:10:36 PM  Show Profile
Kimberly,

Just know that he's in a better place and is running with the herd of horses we have all lost at one time or another!

Just a note that we have picked the brick, roofing color, all the doors, windows, and mantel. We are working the lights and shelving. OOOOOOO I am about to bust with anxiety!

Lora

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway" -John Wayne
www.CountryFriedAcres.etsy.com
www.farmallchick.blogspot.com
www.farmallchickphotos.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Missus Miranda
True Blue Farmgirl

285 Posts

Miranda
Thrall TX
USA
285 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2012 :  1:34:49 PM  Show Profile
Hey girls, popping in for a second to ask for prayers. My best girlfriend and her father-in-law are on their way to my office. She said they found her brother in law this morning, he had overdosed. I do not know exactly what that means at this moment, if he's gone or in the hospital, but either way, I need prayers for strength for her family. Shawn is a dear friend, and he and Josh have become buddies. Chelsea and her husband are family to me, and I am just praying that whatever the outcome, they will be okay.

Thank you ladies, I will keep you posted!

Miranda

"I'm not trying to be mean or cantankerous. I just wish people would do the right thing, and use a little common sense." ~ Farmgirl 3535
Pflugerville, TX

Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2012 :  1:57:19 PM  Show Profile
Sending you prayers.

Lora

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway" -John Wayne
www.CountryFriedAcres.etsy.com
www.farmallchick.blogspot.com
www.farmallchickphotos.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2012 :  5:24:58 PM  Show Profile
Miss Miranda...prayers for calm, peace, compassion and wisdom for you to be there strong for your friends.

And prayers for their entire family. How devestating. Life seems to always be throwing us curve-balls...
but God is never taken by surprise and He will be there for you all.

Much Love and Prayers,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

"Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch"

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be His!
Go to Top of Page

Missus Miranda
True Blue Farmgirl

285 Posts

Miranda
Thrall TX
USA
285 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2012 :  6:26:27 PM  Show Profile
Well, a heart breaking update to the prayer request. I had a feeling I knew the answer but I was not sure. Shawn is gone.

We spent quite a bit of time together in the past few months, and this is a tough blow. We played dominoes together and set off fire works at new years.

Thank you all for your prayers and concern. I'll be away for a while, but know I am alright.

Night ladies,
Miranda

Pflugerville, TX

Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2012 :  6:43:32 PM  Show Profile
Kim- I'm glad you have some closure about your horse. Now you can grieve without questions bothering you.

Miranda- praying for that family's situation.

Well, girls, we had the elders come over so now I can give you the low down: Last Saturday night I had already gone to sleep since I had to work Sunday. DH was playing his game and his phone rang and he just picked it up and answered without thinking. Turns out it was some girl from his past before he met me. They have never actually met. So they caught up on what the other was doing now. DH tells her he's married and has a daughter and we love God. I guess this didn't deter her and she kept talking about her current boy friends/love affairs etc. Then he got off the phone. The next two days I worked but didn't have a chance to sit and talk about anything important and he didn't want me going to work worrying. Meanwhile he's getting sicker and sicker and throwing up and panic attacks. So he finally tells me what had happened. I just asked him if she knew he was married, and had either one propositioned the other to call again or meet up or email. He said no. He said he had deleted the Skype account. So he talked to his counselor and his regular physician and had the elders come over this evening. They all commended him on reacting so quickly to call for help and getting a barrier system set up in case this happened again. They said I was taking it very well. I said I figured by how sick he got just talking on the phone to a girl, if he actually had an affair he would probably die. They just said we needed to work more on our spiritual foundation and getting more integrated into the congregation. And they left us some things to study and work on. So everything worked out just fine. Thanks for those prayers.

Have a great weekend ladies!

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2012 :  6:48:51 PM  Show Profile
Sorry to hear that Miranda.
Kim remember that the Bible talks about Jesus coming on a white horse. Just remember you will have your ride waiting for you when you get there.
Hang in there Lora.

CMF
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2012 :  7:17:21 PM  Show Profile
Just stoppin in for a minute.

I'm in really bad shape with the lump by my tailbone. I don't think it's a pilodial(sp?) cyst at all. It's very large, quite deep, and now has my hip, leg, and back in a lot of pain. Hubby thought maybe I had bruised my tailbone, but the lump is to the side and growin.

I have no idea what is happenin and neither does several doctors. I am just tryin to get by and bide my time right now. I am barely able to do much more than make dinner most days. I keep hopin this will stop gettin worse and start improvin. I'm grittin my teeth so much and so hard all day that I have a major headache every night from it.

I'm scared of what this might be. I heard one nurse ask the doc if it might be bone cancer. He just shook his head no, but still. The very fact that the nurse thought maybe has me shakin a little.

I can't even get my garden out. It's drivin me crazy. We went out and prepped the area last weekend. Hubby went and got my old dog kennel for the pole beans and all my tomato cages. We were gonna try to work each night on the garden, but he worked late nearly every night and I was hurtin so bad. Now the weekend is comin agian and I just don't think I can do it.

I am startin to get woozy from the pain pills agian. I'm gonna go to bed and try to rest. I'll check back in a few days.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

nanr42
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Nan
WALDPORT Oregon
USA
160 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2012 :  7:26:24 PM  Show Profile
So very sorry, Miranda. Praying for everybody.

Wow, Julie, I think your husband did everything right, all down the line. He did great. It's hard sometimes to sort out whether we're really guilty or not, but he isn't. now he has to forgive himself, and good for him for getting help. Praying for you all.

The sun came out today.
nan
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2012 :  8:18:25 PM  Show Profile
Angela, I sure hope they find out what is wrong and get it fixed very soon. I can just imagine the pain you are feeling. Hope you get some relief soon and can get back to your normal life again.

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2012 :  08:43:21 AM  Show Profile
Hi Girls...I am dog sitting while my kids are at the Beach enjoying a well deserved weekend away
from work and their hectic Lives. I think gran-dog sitting is as hectic as if it were the grandkids.
LOl This is the first time I have kept him over a weekend. Wasn't sure what I would do come bed-time.
My husbands dog sleeps at the foot of his bed. So, with Brindle...I put him in with me and let me
tell you he was a bed hog. He is one of those dogs that wants to sleep half on you...or be touching
somewhere on your body...like laying right back to back against you. Which was difficult for me because
of my fibro pain and I toss and turn all night. I am pretty sure he slept better than I did though. LOL

Miranda...I hope you can feel God kissing you on the cheek. He loves you girl and He cares about your
heartache. Cling also to Josh and comfort each other. That is why the Bible tells us that "Two are better
than one...for if one falls down...the other will lift you up."

Julie...your husband did everything right. The Scripture says to "Flea all appearances of evil" and he did.
You should be very proud of him and be sure and let him know you are. (I am sure you already did!) But I did get a chuckle out of your comment about figuring if he threw-up and was full of anxiety just talking to her, he would probably die if he had an affair.

Kimberly...so glad you have some closure with your horse...and can feel assured that you didn't do anything to cause his pain, suffering and death. If you are just half as good a horse-owner as you are a mom...I am sure that you can put those thoughts to rest...and quit beating yourself up over something you had no control over. May you find peace and comfort in your heart and life.

Angela...that lump sounds both painful and concerning. Don't let what the nurse said, scare you. TRUST
the one who created you and loves you most and don't let your mind run scenarios. Over 80 percent of the
things we fear and worry about never come to pass...so, don't put yourself through additional and needless, suffering...just don't go there girl.

So many serious things happening in everyones lives...just know that the rest of us are upholding you all
in our thoughts and prayers. YOU are ALL Loved!!!

blessings,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

"Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch"

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be His!
Go to Top of Page

Valkyrie922
Farmgirl in Training

43 Posts

Sarah
Philippi West Virginia
USA
43 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2012 :  10:58:53 AM  Show Profile
Angela – I can’t believe that you are in that much pain, on top of everything else you are dealing with! Know that you have a lot of sisters out here pulling for you and sending prayers!

Miranda – I’m sorry to hear about your friend. I am adding your family and friends to my prayer list as well.

I read through your blog this week; it seems we have a lot in common! At least, we are both getting married and we are both awesome ladies. I’m not a skilled enough seamstress to make my own dress, though, so, I guess you win this round!

So you have to get your septic replaced? We had to do the same thing when we first moved into this old farmhouse last summer. I think I mentioned that it’s more than 120 years old and pretty shabby, even after a year of work, but as my favorite uncle always reminds me when I get discouraged about it: “Ever Onward!”

After we got the septic put in and the basement plumbing done (new fresh water lines, drains, new water heater, etc), Uncle Jeff sent me to Lowe’s to get a commode flange, and on the way there Mike and I wrote this song about our house (To the tune of “Every Rose Has its Thorn”):

Every commode flange has its throne
Just like every sink has its drai-a-a-ain
Just like every hot water tank has a line going in
And then… back… out… to the faucets! …

Bunny - I think both your sons sound like great guys. And they are both lucky to have such a great mom!

Judy – Yet another awesome chick! I’m glad to be paired with you for the swap, and I have really enjoyed getting to know you better. P.S. If you want to opt for sending money, I wouldn’t be opposed!

Everyone - Anyone who has participated in a swap before: what’s the protocol? Is there a set value (like $10-$25)? What is the Best thing you ever got in a swap?

Julie – I love your attitude. I had a feeling you would be a shoe-in for the crafty partnership! Let us know when you get some pics up so we can see some more of your handiwork.

Sounds like the meeting with your church elders went well. I’m sure that having something to work on like that will really make the whole situation a blessing after all! I’m impressed by your DH’s reaction – The physical consequences of bottling stuff up can be really bad! My cousin’s hubby (age 29) just had a mini stroke from anxiety a couple weeks ago, and my future FIL just got out of the hospital on Tuesday; he had to have surgery after his second stress-induced heart attack!

Poggy - Your flower story reminds me of my kids. They love picking me flowers, but then they expect them to be right where they left them after 2 weeks! Sometimes I get lucky and dry them just right so they are somewhat presentable, but there is no slipping it past them! They even know how many were in a bouquet! (But, Mommy, I brought you 6 flowers and now there are only 4!)

Patsy – I wasn’t able to save the scissors, but they were only $2. (My daughter told me: “You shouldn’t buy that kind of stuff from the Dollar Store, Mommy. It’s not a worth-it store!”) Luckily, I had a pair of craft scissors that sharpened right up, so now I have to re-train everyone on which pair they can use!

Ruth Ann – I don’t know what’s going on with your hubby, but it sounds like you and your family definitely need some prayers. Peace be with you.

Tammy – My two are going to the circus today with their Mammaw. I took them once when they were four and five, and I’ll never forget: there was this act with a Weiner Dog who was wearing a cape. My son watched in amazement as this tiny dog climbed the ladder to a high diving board with no pool underneath. He was sitting on my lap pointing, and shouting, “Look, Mommy!” I said, “Yeah! What’s he gonna do?” His answer: “He’s gonna FLY!” When the dog jumped down to his trainer’s arms, Quentin said, “See?!”

Cherime – I haven’t said hello to you yet… Hi, up there!

I have been running full throttle this week as usual: I had band practice twice, and I must say, Black Sheep are sounding pretty good! My favorites that I am singing right now are Jolene (I do the Jack White version, but props to Ms. Parton for being a great songwriter), I Still Miss Someone (Johnny Cash & June Carter), and Five Shots of Whiskey (Hank Williams III, aka Hank 3), Flowers on the Wall (Statler Brothers), Dirty Old Town (The Pogues)… Oh and we’re going to try to do that song from the Geico Commercial (the one that’s set in the Texas bar.) It’s an awesome song, but the only part I can remember is the part from the commercial: “If I could separate what’s real from what I’m dreamin’/I could live to fight another day…”

Thursday Mike’s company had a dinner meeting with another company to discuss a merger, and the employees all “got to” bring their wives. It was at this swanky black-tie restaurant an hour away from here, So, I had to waste a beautiful 75 degree day primping for that. I don’t know how many times I looked out the window longing to get my hands in the dirt. I did get to try a couple new kinds of beer, but it was soooooo painfully long. We couldn’t hear a thing the lady was saying about the expectations for the merger, but she inexplicably turned up the volume every time she started talking about how she was a pioneer in the IT field. I think I may have met the woman who invented computer code! (Give me a break! I may have actually rolled my eyes one too many times and got my face stuck that way…)

What a TEDIOUS evening! We got drinks. Then 20 minutes later they took the orders for appetizers. They brought those out a half hour after that, and then gave us an hour to eat it before they took the orders for the main course… Even the handshakes and niceties as we were trying to leave took 20 minutes! It was midnight before we got home.

Also of note, I found this really great tutorial for hemming jeans! Mike bought four new pairs of pants, but he’s not what you call vertically gifted, so I had to break out the sewing machine. I always hated the way that jeans look after doing a conventional hem, so I lucked out finding this: http://refashionmama.wordpress.com/2011/12/17/alteration-my-new-favorite-way-to-keep-original-hem-on-jeans/

I think I earned another merit badge!
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2012 :  12:01:50 PM  Show Profile
Hello Porchies!!!

I just had to post this!

I was sittin on the couch last night after postin and I leaned forward to pick up my chapstick off the floor and....POP!!!!

My hip and lower back area sounded like it exploded!

I limped upstairs and laid down for the night very concerned and scared.

I woke this mornin and got up and walked to the bathroom and froze. I had just WALKED to the bathroom! No limpin! I was almost dancin and shoutin praises to God. I feel a million times better! The muscles are tender and a little sore, but the shootin pain is gone. The lump is still there, but it isn't nothing like it was.

I am still takin it easy. I don't want to push it too much.

Thank you all for the prayers! They really do work miracles!!

I'm gonna make it to the community garden this weekend! Yea!

Sarah...I have only been to one formal dinner thingy with my Hubby. It wasn't our cup of tea, so to speak, so we haven't been to any since. We always use the girls as our excuse. I would so rather go to an old-fashioned weenie roast and sit around a bonfire all night in our jeans and t-shirts than dress up and sip drinks in a fancy ballroom.

Peggy...I have a cat that insists on sleepin in contact like that. She usually sleeps right beside my pillow because I put my arm under my pillow and my hand sticks out. She will put her head up under my hand so I'm coverin her head. It's cute, but scared the tar out of me the first few times she did it. I'm sound asleep and all of a sudden something furry is touchin my hand! I even shoved her off the bed the first time! Poor little kitty. She is persistant though, and now has me trained quite nicely LOL!!!

Well, ladies. I'm off to the comgar to finish the prep work and start plantin some seeds!!!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

Missus Miranda
True Blue Farmgirl

285 Posts

Miranda
Thrall TX
USA
285 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2012 :  12:50:09 PM  Show Profile
Thankyou, girls, for the prayers. It's kind of starting to hit now, that Shawn is gone. They're going to try to set up a Trust fund for his little girl, so I may be taking on the account opening end, not sure yet.

I'm supposed to be cleaning house right now, but I just can't get off the couch. I need to eat, for one thing, but I am also very sleepy. I think I will have lunch, then take a nap, then work on the house cleaning ordeal.

I started working on my veil last night. Till I realized I didn't QUITE have enough trim. Ah well... I got more and should have enough today. Hopefully, I'll get pics to be able to share with you all soon.

For now, I'm heating up queso from last night and then I'm off to nap. Hope everyone is doing well!

Pflugerville, TX

Go to Top of Page

Missus Miranda
True Blue Farmgirl

285 Posts

Miranda
Thrall TX
USA
285 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2012 :  12:53:52 PM  Show Profile
Also, I wanted to share this...

I wrote it mostly this morning, but it was so poingant, I figured y'all would get a kick out of it.

And yes, all of it is true!!

The Chase of Little Bird

While on the way to work the other day, I saw something unreal. The big, old red tail hawk that nests nearby was sitting on a light pole, as usual. HaShuKaNa (as I named him) wasn't bothering anyone... at least not at that point. But, there was a mocking bird who kept coming up and snapping at him, trying to intimidate him. Of course HaShuKaNa just sort of dodged each time the little bird struck and looked a bit perplexed at the little bird's audacity. But neither one would leave.

This was made more bizarre the very next morning, on the way to work. I was almost to the main road, the one that dead ends and turns left onto my road, surrounded by pasture and scrub trees. I saw something in the distance as I came up on the bend, but wasn't sure what I was seeing. As I got closer, I was amazed to find two scissortails chasing a couple of eagles!! They were in a dog fight, mid air! And yes, I am certain of what I saw, as they were only maybe ten feet above the roof of my vehicle! I saw clearly the white-feathered heads and while tails of the eagles, and the perplexed looks of the hunters as the scissortails chased and dive-bombed them.

I suppose that I always look for a lesson in such events and thought about it for a while. Scissortails are tiny little birds, especially compared to the eagles. What I began to figure was that, either the scissortails had a nest nearby, or the eagles had tampered with their nest and the scissortails were going to do anything to protect it.

They didn't listen to anyone tell them that there was nothing they could do about the bigger bird. They didn't fear the predators and cower, allowing the eagles to destroy everything or even kill them. They didn't take everything and leave. They stayed, they fought and they fought with such force they frightened the birds of prey who would threaten to destroy everything they had.

It is not easy, but it is often necessary for us to buck up and do the hard thing, the right thing, instead of flying off in fear.

Pflugerville, TX

Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2012 :  5:33:42 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone! I'm so sorry for being absent for so long, and I wanna thank Miss Peggy for taking over the Porch Swap! In the meantime, I went to London for almost a week after Easter. It was an amazing time, and I'm excited to be home. I only have 28 school days left until summer! I will be on here more often, I promise! I hope everyone's having a great weekend!
God's and Farmgirls's Blessings,
Megan

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.

The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 669 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page