Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic
Page: of 669

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2012 :  01:19:19 AM  Show Profile
I just posted a huge long POST. Most of it a rant...I think God just spared you all because when I
copied it off my sticky-notes. It posted a letter to a Farmgirl I wrote yesterday and erased my
post tonight.

So, trust me...God was smiling down on you all! Me...Not So Much!

Good Night,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

"Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch"

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be His!
Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2012 :  05:54:36 AM  Show Profile
Sarah it has been over 5 years since the initial installation of the plumbing here. I went for 20 years without running water. I also did the majority of the plumbing on the other side of the house. I cannot be in an enclosed space with the chemical they use in the glue that is used on PVC pipe. What I did was measure the sections needed and glued them up outside until I got to a place where I needed to attach stuff. That is where I used the shark bite stuff. All my plumbing is on the inside of the walls. Up here in Alaska that makes the most sense for those of us who are building our own or doing a retrofit. The trick with the shark bite if that the little plastic inserts need to be inside the pipe before inserting into the fitting and you need to force them together tightly so that the grippers inside really do catch on the pipe and hold it. The plastic insert keeps the pipe from collapsing and then it leaks.
Debbie my family situation is greatly in need of prayer also. My daughter need desperately needs to know the Lord. Praying for you.
Peg, every once in a while a rant is a good thing. Once you get them out of your system it seems to ease the pressure.
Blessings all

CMF
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2012 :  09:33:42 AM  Show Profile
Miranda - Congrats! We need a nice long porch chat so you can fill us in on the details.

Debbie - I'm so sorry to hear about your nephew. PTSD is very prevalant with soldiers coming back from Iraq & especially Afghanistan but the military doesn't want to acknowledge it. I'm terrified after what my son went through he'll have problems. I think they tend to be a bit easier on the soldiers if the agree to get counseling and start to take their meds again. Unfortunately I think soldiers with PTSD get more sympathy out of civilians then they do their military counterparts. Hopefully he'll get the help he needs.

Bunny - Sorry I didn't answer you yesterday. I started to type it but got side tracked and apparently never posted it. Favorite colors: earth tones - tans, beige, ivory, dark green, dark red, and dark orange. I like blues too. I guess fall colors would be a good example especially since it's my favorite season. I collect cardinals and I love sunflowers. My kitchen is yellow and white and decorated with French chefs. Subjects is hard to answer because I love to learn about so many things. I've picked up a couple things for you but please answer the questions you asked me and give me some guidance :O)

Well we finally have the Jeep out of the engine shop - $2600+ later. Had to get a new key ($160) and then pay for a dealership to come down and program the key to the computer in the Jeep $150 (YIKES). Transmission was leaking but the engine shop doesn't deal with transmissions. DF looked at it Sunday. Initially he thought it was just the pan but after taking it off discovered it was leaking around a sensor. He called the shop his brother worked at and took it in today. Appears to be a "simple" fix and hopefully not too expensive. I haven't gotten a text from df since this morning so I'm assuming they didn't find anything else major with it. Crossing my fingers. It would be nice to finally be able to drive the thing.

I thought I would share my lastest read. I just finished reading "Letters of a Woman Homestead" by Elinore Pruitt Stewart. Excellent book. I laughed at times and wondered how she survived others. She was a window washerwoman in the city and after developing grippe decided to move to Wyoming and homestead with her young daughter when her doctor recommended it to her. It's available on Kindle and I think I downloaded it for free. I was able to get a paperback version of it through paperbackbookswap.com and it will definately be a keeper on my bookshelf. Apparently it was made into a movie called Heartland that I'd like to track down even though movies are never as good as the books. I've tried Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon instant play with no luck. Amazon does have the movie listed for sale but it's a bit expensive. I prefer to watch a movie before I buy it to make sure I really want to add it to my collection.

Okay, back to work. Just finished a yummy lunch of leftover homemade mac & cheese and home canned green beans that we had for supper last night. Now I need to figure out what I'm going to make for supper tonight.

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
http://twilightburrough.blogspot.com/
Warren, MI
Go to Top of Page

nanr42
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Nan
WALDPORT Oregon
USA
160 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2012 :  10:02:21 AM  Show Profile
Back again at least briefly. Praying for everybody's huge problems.
You could pray for my little Miranda. She has cysts in her liver (just fluid-filled cavities) and a slight UTI and maybe a slight cold. She was hunhced up on Sunday night, so I didn't sleep much, took her in yesterday, and she's doing ok. Many pills to take, and it's imperative that she keep eating.

Not much sleep last night either because she wanted to be petted at about 2, and I had had too much caffeine to get through yesterday. not so bad today, but I need to leave now to go to chiro.
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2012 :  4:54:50 PM  Show Profile
Hi Jackie, Welcome! Tell us all about YOU! Who is Jackie? What does she like?
Awwwww Nettie....what wonderful,special memories of your childhood with your "Mom&Dad Moments!" Hold tight to those! ....ummm...how do you dance the wedding march?(we need a show&tell video) hahaha
Debbie, I'm so sorry to hear about the troubles with your nephew! Prayers sent up!
Sarah,*giggle* You are so funny girl!Fine...forget the $100 I was sending you...nope,nope...too bad for you! LOL
Bunny, I was going to ask about the strawbale thing too. Are you using them to build a raised bed or what?
Well,it was so pretty/sunny/windy but cold out today, so DH and I went for a drive.The wind pushed us around a couple of times, but otherwise was a perfect drive. So now I'm off to have tea and read my book!
Later Gators!

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
"Why couldn't I have been born Rich instead of So Good Looking?"
Go to Top of Page

jackie v
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

jackie
easthampton ma
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2012 :  5:08:27 PM  Show Profile  Send jackie v a Yahoo! Message
Hi ladies..hope everyone had a good day. It was my first day back to work after 2weeks off..recovered from getting my finger caught in a log splitter. God..I would give up every single material thing I own to be able to stay home and take care of my family. Working outside of home stinks. I'm sorry to read about some of your family problems..that's always a crappy, heartbreaking situation but with your faith in the good Lord everything will work out as planned. I'm so glad to have you ladies to talk with. Where I work I don't have any friends to confide with..thanks for being here. You are all a true blessing to me. Well it's pouring cats and dogs here and I need to close windows around the house. Sweet dreams ladies..may your blessings be many and your tears few.
Go to Top of Page

craftbug
True Blue Farmgirl

545 Posts

Patsy
Clarkson Kentucky
USA
545 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2012 :  5:39:38 PM  Show Profile  Send craftbug a Yahoo! Message
So, today hubby says, " let's go for a ride and see if we can find me a pair of workboots." now mind you, he checked last week at our local k-mart with no luck and he's a 7 1/2 size, so most times that size is always gone. SOoooo, we went to GA to a boot outlet where we used to get them when he worked and he's been retired for a couple years now. we get there and discover that the sign has fallen off the roof and nobody in the building. so much for checking on the internet first, somebody should really take that site down. so we check the gps and it shows a list of shoe stores and we pick one, so off we go to another town. after hearing " you have arrived at your destination " from the gps we look EVERYWHERE and no sign or building to be seen of any shoe store...SO MUCH for the GPS! hubby says "let's go home". we check at k-mart back home and they have a whole aisle of work boots that weren't there last week AND in his size AND you buy a pair and get one for half off! AND there were 2 pair of his size (which was 7 this time) so he bought them both....is THIS a great story or what? ROFL LOL

Make my words soft and tender, for I may have to eat them. :)
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2012 :  6:53:21 PM  Show Profile
There are lots of sites that talk about strawbale gardening but here is a picture to help you out. These are not of my garden as I don't have it together yet. Hopefully tomorrow I'll go get the strawbales.

Tammy, I love bright colors and jewel tones. I love owls,cats wildflowers and the mountains. I sew, crochet, knit, paint, and read a lot.My favorite books are Syfy, fantasy and mysteries. I hate to cook and I'm not the best gardener in the world.
Hope that helps. Oh and my favorite colors are green, periwinkle and pink.

Farmgirl number 3738

My blog: www.bunnyrose.com
My shop: www.bunnyroseco.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2012 :  7:20:51 PM  Show Profile
Bunny, love the looks of using straw bales, but I don't really have the room for all of that. I am trying to find room for some raised beds, but think I will have more pots this year. Still too cold to do any planting here, have at least another month yet.
Welcome all new farmgirls!!! Grab a cup o' tea and sit a spell!!!!
Hope all are doing well, Have a wonderful evening,

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2012 :  8:54:03 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone! I have a little more time to sit today, yay!!
Miranda, first off, congratulations! That's so exciting, and what a pretty ring:)
Jackie, a warm welcome to the porch!
Peggy, I missed the porch too! Can't stay away for too long or I'll go crazy!
I also have some time to tell tales from the across the pond! First off we flew to Chicago (I was with a school group, so it was about 25 other girls!), then took an 8 hour flight to London. It actually wasn't that bad, except I didn't sleep as much as I should have. I didn't discover that I could put the airplane seat back until we were almost there, which would have helped a lot when I needed to sleep! So we arrived and went through customs, which wasn't too bad. We went to our hotel, which was right in Central London. One thing that I really enjoyed throughout the whole trip was using the Underground! It was super easy to figure out, and I loved using it! That first day we were just exploring London, then the second day was the real sightseeing! It was so great to see pretty much everything: Big Ben, Buckingham Palace, the Tower of London, St. Paul's Cathedral (Princess Diana's wedding place!) and Westminster Abbey (Will and Kate!). Then we were able to go on the London Eye, which was a great way to see the city. You really could see everything from the top. Since it was a theater group who sponsored the trip, we also took a tour of the National Theater and the Globe Theater and spent a day in Stratford (Shakespeare's birth place). We saw three shows: Blood Brothers, which was an amazing musical, Shrek the Musical, which wasn't that good of a musical, and The 39 Steps, which was a hilarious 4 person cast show. Overall it was a fabulous experience, and honestly, if I didn't love my family so much, I would move there in a heartbeat. Kind of a side story about how different the culture is: four of my friends and I were able to go wherever we wanted for lunch, and we ended up having to take our food with us because it was so slow! Eating in a restaurant was so much more relaxed than it is here. But that definitely didn't damper the experience.
Also I got some great news before I left. The college I want to go to has a summer program, and I applied and was accepted! So I will be in North Carolina for three weeks this summer, and I'm so excited!
Have great Wednesdays!
God's and Farmgirl's Blessings,
Megan

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.

The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.
Go to Top of Page

jackie v
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

jackie
easthampton ma
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2012 :  02:40:22 AM  Show Profile  Send jackie v a Yahoo! Message
Congrats Megan! What's your major? My sister has been to London in the past..she also would go back and stay in a heartbeat. Her best friend has born and raised there..did you get to see the Beatles museum. ?
Go to Top of Page

jackie v
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

jackie
easthampton ma
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2012 :  02:46:59 AM  Show Profile  Send jackie v a Yahoo! Message
Debbie we haven't heard from you. I pray everything is going ok for you and the family.
Nan I hope Miranda is getting better. Off the work . Have a great day ladies .
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2012 :  06:02:25 AM  Show Profile
Megan, what a wonderful trip you had, and such great memories. Glad you had a great time there, and congrats on being accepted to the college of choice. So does that mean you will be graduating next month? I am really happy for you. I am sure your family is excited also, and very proud of you.

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2012 :  08:22:45 AM  Show Profile
Have a great day ladies! Here's one of the new guys.

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2012 :  09:16:50 AM  Show Profile
Megan, I liked London and really loved Dublin. Glasgow was great. Edinburgh was just a bit too touristy for me. If you can do so before you settle down, take some time off to just meander around. We went to see Stonehinge but the crowds were too much for comfort so we went to a local town where they have the largest geographically speaking stone circle. Nice little village with lovely people. The Isle of Skye was wonderful. There are so many youth hostels throughout the UK that it is easy to tour around on the cheap. And the people we met were all very helpful and nice. The underground is really easy to navigate but during rush hour there wasn't much time to study things you have to be sure of where you are going. Glad to hear that you got accepted to the college of your choice.

Bunny I love the Strawberry bale idea but I think that I am going to reuse some old tires this year.

Sarah, ladies. There are ways to hide the water lines inside the walls the corner shelf has a extra side piece that hides the water lines going down to the sink. The shelves over the door have a false back and hide the lines from view. The corner shelf was the hardest to figure out.

Blessings all.

CMF
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2012 :  09:41:33 AM  Show Profile
Good morning ladies! Sunny skies this morning. Weatherman says we should make it up to 62 today. These mid-range temps and then plunging down into freezing temps at night are throwing me off. I want to get started in the garden. I might try some lettuce and a few herbs since my chives and oregano are growing profusely already. I'm lunching on 1/2 peanut butter and homemade strawberry jelly on sourdough bread and a salad in a jar with honey mustard vinegarette (I'm addicted to the stuff) while I'm typing. Supper will be homemade sliders and french fries.

Today's one of those days where it feels like I just keep getting beat down more and more. They found more issues with the Jeep yesterday - possibly another $1000 in repairs. The ongoing job contract issue has continued and after announcing another company got the contract (again) 2 weeks ago, they sent out emails last night about 8pm saying the contract has been extended another 2 months and to disregard job offers from the new company. Yet I'm still getting emails today from the new company including my job offer. My job offer is 8c/hr less then what one of my counterparts was offered even though I have 6 months seniority on him and I work in a county that's job base pays higher (which is what they claim our pay is based on). I don't know if I should challenge it or accept it as it. It's a job and I can't afford to lose it. I just feel like I'm falling deeper and deeper into a hole. The new company appears to be offering us a tuition assistance option with our benefits pay but that would be chancy to take tuition assistance over medical coverage and the man is totally against it because he wants to be able to move immediately if he gets a job offer. Okay, enough whining.

Megan - the trip sounds wonderful! I would so love to visit there. My DF was there with several of his sisters, bil's, nieces and nephews several years ago. They got to see The Lion King at the theater while there. They said it was so much better there then here in the US. How did you like the food? He said the food was horrible there. We're foodies so it's hard to tell if it was really that bad or if it's because he's so use to really good food lol. North Carolina is beautiful, congrats. I was stationed out of Norfolk, VA, and we occasionally went down the coast to North Carolina. I love that area. The man is bothered by the potential for hurricanes but I've been through several of them and they don't bother me.

Janet - the straw beds don't have to be in that form. That's just one design. I've seen them put around the perimeter of a fenced in yard with flowers and veggies planted in them. You can cut the bales in half too. I suggested it for our yard as it would have helped us with a couple issues including the dogs digging holes next to the fence but the man felt the city would probably fine us claiming they were unsightly and knowing our city he's probably right.

Speaking of our city. The man went over and mowed his brother's lawn the other night after work and ran over a rat with the lawnmower! He said it was odd because one of the guys at work had been complaining earlier that day about the fact they have rats all over their neighborhood and they're burrowing tunnels under the lawns. He was shocked when df told him we didn't have any problems with rats or any other rodant for that matter. DF was telling me it's a huge problem, almost epidemic, right now with rats overrunning lawns. Apparently with all the abandoned houses they're building huge networks of tunnels in the yards and throughout neighborhoods and obviously feeding well on garbage. We saw a possum the other night run across the road into a newly vacant house/yard which doesn't bode well either. I'd hate for the dogs to get into a fight with a rat or a possum. I'd expect a possible problem like this in the country but not in a huge metropolitan area. If it becomes a problem in our area I'm not sure how we'll deal with it. It's not like on a farm where we could have cats and dogs paroleing the barns and area to keep the rodant population down.

Well back to work. Crossing my fingers the day gets brighter :O)

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
http://twilightburrough.blogspot.com/
Warren, MI
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2012 :  1:05:54 PM  Show Profile
Hey Patsy...all I can say is..."Aren't leisurely,meandering drives fun?" hahahaha Ya, we didn't like the GPS either....they just don't work for some reason. It's a "Boy-Toy" that's a big money-maker for the inventor!
Any other crazy GPS stories out there? Love to hear them.
Great story Megan...got some more?

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
"Why couldn't I have been born Rich instead of So Good Looking?"
Go to Top of Page

Valkyrie922
Farmgirl in Training

43 Posts

Sarah
Philippi West Virginia
USA
43 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2012 :  9:35:13 PM  Show Profile
Julie – You got me wondering: how much chicken is too much chicken? (18”?) And, for that matter, is not enough chicken Really not enough chicken? (3”?) Haha!! Thanks for the response, by the way. It helps to have a yardstick while I’m putting this package together.

Judy/Nettie – If I were dancing to the Wedding March, I think I would do the robot.

Jackie – I’d like to know more about you and your family & situation. Maybe staying home really isn’t as far from the realm of possibility as you think; sometimes you just have to think outside the box. I can’t believe you got your finger caught in a log splitter – OUCH! I’m glad that you’ve recovered, though.

That just reminded me of this crazy movie that Mike brought home from the Red Box a couple months ago, called Tucker and Dale VS Evil. It was one of the most surprisingly funny movies I’ve ever seen; I really thought I was going to hate it. Here’s the premise: Tucker and Dale are a couple of Average Joe’s/Hillbillies from West Virginia, and there is a group of college kids camping near their cabin, who think that they are in Wrong Turn. When one of the girls in their group gets knocked unconscious, they just leave her there because they are too terrified to talk to the hillbillies, so Tucker and Dale take her back to the cabin and nurse her to health. The next day, the campers decide that they need to rescue their friend, so they try to attack the cabin, but when they do, one of them dives head-first into a wood chipper! (I DIED laughing!) I won’t give away any more, just in case anyone wants to watch it.

Patsy – Now isn’t that typical, to travel all the way to the next state only to come back home and find what you were looking for right where you already looked. I was going to suggest shopping for the boots online next time, but it sounds like your hubby's feet might be shrinking, so maybe you should stick to the K-Mart!

Judy/Patsy – I don’t have traditional GPS, but I have Google Maps on my phone, which is really the same thing. It has turn-by-turn “navigation” and you can turn the voice on when you’re driving. Fat lot of good it does when you aren’t in a major city! One time I had my dad taking me to an appointment at an agency two counties over, We followed the Google Maps Voice, turn-by-turn, directly to our “destination.” At a creepy abandoned warehouse in the middle of nowhere! I had to call the receptionist (which I should have just done in the first place) and when she told me where the place was, I didn’t even need directions!

The only other time I used it in WV was when my mom and I took the kids down to Charleston to see Disney on Ice. Mind you, both of us have been to this city dozens of times just in my lifetime, and the Charleston Civic Center is clearly marked with tons of signs. Plus, it's not really that big, so even if you mess up, it doesn’t take that long to get yourself right. But my mom (and dad too) has what I call “navigational anxiety,” so when we were about half a mile outside of the city, she asked me to turn the GPS to guide us there. I did, just to humor her, all the while pointing out the signs. When it finally booted up, we were waiting at the stoplight on the exit ramp, less than a block from the parking garage, (which we can see straight ahead!) and mom kinda starts freaking out, “Where do I go?! What does the GPS say?!” So I looked, and it didn’t have ANY directions, because according to Google Maps, we were in the river! I couldn't stop laughing and we ended up passing the parking garage and having to turn around anyway!

Bunny – That looks WAY easier than what I’m fixin’ to do. Since my Pappy is sick this year (no tractor) I’m going to do the double digging method.

Cherime – Wow it looks great! Did you do the ceilings too? I really like the way they look!! I will have to post some photos of the improvements to my house as I work on them.

Tammy – Oh, wow, you could’ve gotten a whole new-to-you car!

That sounds like an interesting book, and an even more interesting web service! I am signing up for paperbackbookswap.com right now!

Also, homemade mac and cheese is one of my favorite things! I’m a foodie too, and I gotta say, England gets a bad rap as far as food. It’s really the same as anywhere else. Some of the best food I’ve ever had was home cooked by an old sailor in the North of England. I dated his son for a couple years, and when visited -- wow! did he go all out! -- he made 'tea' every single evening, food so wonderful my tastebuds are dancing now at the memories! Roast duck, shrimp cocktail, crusted flounder... to name a few! and always with perfectly cooked and seasoned vegetables and grains. Oh, man, why didn’t I stay with him? Sigh* (The answer, of course, is because you can’t have a relationship based on your partner’s dad’s cooking!)

There are plenty of boring and bland foods and lots of junk food too… But I read somewhere that the reason for the 'bad food' stereotype is that beginning with WWI and then all the way into the 1950’s the whole of Great Britain had to live with severe austerity because of being at war with basically the whole of Europe. I think it speaks volumes about their culture that they were willing and able to pull together and sacrifice for King and Country for almost 50 years! I don’t think there was a single British woman in that time who wasn’t a farmgirl. For real.

So you live in a place where creative gardening is considered unsightly, but the town’s being overrun by rats. Nice. I think your husband is right; you need to be ready to leave at the drop of a dime!

I didn't get very much done today. Granny has been asking Uncle Jeff since last year for “a start off a snowball bush,” which is weird because I am the one who has a snowball bush, and it's huge, and it's at the corner of my driveway, AND she lives across the road from me! Anyway, I couldn’t tell what she meant by looking at it, and I couldn’t figure it out by researching online either, so today I took the pruners and the shears, cleaned out the dead branches and did some manual weed-eating, and finally found ONE really tiny baby. I put it in dirt, and I also took off two brand new green limbs about 5-6" inches long to see if I can coax them to root in water. I also dug up a “start” that’s probably three or four years old – it was probably 7’ tall, but the trunk was less than an inch in diameter and I got a pretty good root system when I dug it out, so hopefully one of these ends up working for her!

Unfortunately, by the time I brought the last wheelbarrow load of debris back up to the burn pile, I had to stop and sit down. BLEH! I have been nauseated and dizzy since Sunday, with a major headache that won’t quit. I’m hoping it’s just some weird virus or something & it will go away soon. The sooner the better.

I didn’t feel like coming back inside just yet, so I got a basket and cut some flowers for pressing. I’m planning to frame them and use them to decorate the *empty* wall above the couch. I got 11 flower samples from around my little slice of heaven. Not all are native, but I thought it would be a good idea to document what I have here. Some were planted by my Mammaw, some are nuisance plants, and some actually are native. I have a lot of research to do, so I might just be surprised to find out that I’m well on my way to earning that merit badge after all. I will definitely let you guys know how it turns out.
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2012 :  12:41:23 AM  Show Profile
Wow Megan...your trip to London sounds fab.
So glad that you got that experience. I have always wanted to go to Paris...but don't suppose at this time in my life...that dream will ever come true. So, any opportunities you get to travel...take full advantage of them. You will never regret it and it will broaden your World considerably. I think most of us live in a much too narrow world. Because I read so much....I atleast feel I have traveled via books. Not the same...but a more affordable way to travel.~ Before I forget...I mailed out your Swap Pkg Monday. Hope you enjoy it.

Julie...what is that little baby_______? Is it a kitten or what?

Cherime...you are so clever hiding the water lines like that?
You are one smart cookie!

RFM Tammy...in most states men get paid more for the same job a woman does. It's maddening but true. Me...I would fight it! But then I have always pushed for what I deserved in wages.
I never got a raise I didn't ask for and I never got a promotion I didn't push for. If a woman doesn't stand up for herself in the job market...they will usually keep her at the same wage and she will watch her male counter-parts get promotion after promotion over her. Even if she is more qualified. I just wouldn't stand for that kind of injustice.

Your rat story was awful!!! Many large cities have rat problems...when there is a lot of construction going on around the city.
Portland Oregon...has a bad rat problem, but usually they stay pretty much underground...but at one time when the city was doing some major work my MIL was having trouble with them coming up and out through her toilet. Now how gross is that? UGH!!!

Judy...I don't trust GPS systems very much. The last Apartments we lived in...any GPS system would take friends and family several miles past us and get them good and lost! LOL Praise God for cell phones to call for verbal directions.
Also...on a more serious note around The Portland Oregon and Vancouver WA area...GPS systems don't warn people that travel through our parts of the Country...that some roads are impassable during winter months...and people have gotten lost, run out of gas and lost their lives in these remote areas. So sad, but seems to happen...every year.

Sarah...I love snowball bushes. What color is yours?
They aren't all white. Sounds like you will get a really good start for her. They are pretty hardy.
Sounds like you have been soooooo busy on the farm. You wore me out just readen about it. LOL

Netty...you are so right. We get three days of lovely warm weather and then back to 50's and 60's and rain. It's killing me off!

Well, girls...I need your prayers. My husband and I need to move back into an apartment. We just can't afford this house we are renting and we can't afford the lawn maintenance, and the higher utilities.
We have been digging ourselves in a financial rut for 6 months and now it is time to say..."Enough". The one problem we are finding...with the Housing Market Tanking...all apartment buildings are filled! "No Room At The Inn"...so to speak. We put our name on a Waiting List yesterday...at a place we liked in the general area where we live now. So, even though we hate to re-pack and move...we really need to. Please keep us in your prayers.
Thanks girls! I'm beat and headed for bed.

Sweet Dreams,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

"Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch"

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be His!
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2012 :  06:37:33 AM  Show Profile
Peggy, so sorry to hear that you will need to move again, but can understand the financial part of it. I know how you like it there though. Hopefully you will find something great that you like and less work to maintain. Wish I lived close to you so I could help.
Sarah, I find it very hard to read your posts because of the size, font and the color. Is there a way you could change it to black?
It is so windy here, I am afraid to go out and get blown away. I would like to go get my hair cut. It is almost waist long, but it is so hard to brush out. I have very think hair and it snarls so much. I am yanking out too much hair. My hair is naturally curly, so when cut it looks like I have a perm. The only problem is that it grows so fast and I end up getting it trimmed every 3 weeks at $16.50 a crack. Oh well, it would surprise my hubby. He would think he was living with a new woman!! LOL!! I'll see if I want to venture out in that wind. It is only 33 degrees besides.

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2012 :  08:27:36 AM  Show Profile
Peggy, sorry to hear that you have to move again. If I had to move....Well, good thing I don't.
Janet, that cold. It's in the 40s at 4am and got up to 60 yesterday. Time to work outside. Put a new chain on my electric chain saw and cut up some of the wood that was too long for that stove and that I was not able to get to due to the amazing amount of snow we had. Worked up a real sweat doing that but got the wood box near the house full and ready to go. Now I just have to cut up the rest and get it stacked. I will almost have enough for next winter and I will be nice and dry.
Sarah, did the ceiling and the floor as well. The ceiling was starting to have the seams of the drywall peal a bit as it was the first time DH and I had ever done drywall. So I used some of that thin pine paneling to cover the ceiling seams in a grid pattern. In the other room that you can barely see, used that drop ceiling stuff cause it is way cheap and screwed the corners to the ceiling joists then went over the seams with that pine again. Worked really well looks nice. I am going to do the same thing to my old kitchen ceiling. I can easily handle the ceiling tiles by my self no so full sized drywall sheets not to mention that I don't have to tape and mud the overhead seams if I use the ceiling tiles.
Blessings ladies take care all.

CMF
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2012 :  09:11:09 AM  Show Profile
Hey Porchies!

I've been without a computer till yesterday. It took me a long time to catch up on all the posts!

I'm tryin very hard to organize my life, daily and long term.

I was tryin to put together a monthly menu, which I used to do all the time, but I seem to have writer's block, or cookin block, or just plain old brain block. I am really strugglin with a simple menu plan.

I even am havin trouble figurin out what my weekly schedule and daily basic schedule should be. I'm just not sure what to do and when it should be done.

I hate this fumblin through each day and findin that I've gotten nothin done at the end of each week. I just feel lost and unproductive. It's even spilled over into our financial life and that is too tight of an area to allow any slippin.

I'm off to attempt it one more time while I wait for the laundry to need switched. I'm gonna check a few websites my oldest DD suggested. Her and her fiance have been really workin hard on budgets and settin up a plan for their life. I just need to figure mine out a little better.

Any suggestions would be greatly appriciated. I'm just kinda driftin around lookin for something to anchor me down.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

ruthie218
True Blue Farmgirl

1414 Posts

Ruthie Ann
Indiana
USA
1414 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2012 :  11:46:50 AM  Show Profile
Hi! Ladies,
I haven't been on for a week or so and boy have I missed out. Im very behind so Im just jumping here. Last week the house plan came in the mail. Now it's real and time to get it together to get the house ready and on the market. I have alot of changes to make as the as the nearest med.size town is 17 miles on way. Im going to start taking inventory,and making out a menu with a weekly grocery shop instead well lets stop and get this or that.
Hubby is feeling better took out to church and tomorrow we go to the dr. Katelyn dd will be home next Friday from college for the summer . I will be putting her to work. Helping me get ready to start the move process. Not sure you all know I write lesson plans for a child care/preschool. Im trying to get those all wriiten for the summer so I can focus on family and my mission I took on at church. Im the supply director / collector for the mission team going to South Dakota to teach a vbs for the native american children. One thing on the list is yarn. Alot is need and boy has it been hard to come by at the thirft stores. Better at my nanny job and babies waking up.
Ruthie Ann

http://simpleindianagirl.blogspot.com/

Farmgirl sister#4072
Go to Top of Page

ruthie218
True Blue Farmgirl

1414 Posts

Ruthie Ann
Indiana
USA
1414 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2012 :  12:07:03 PM  Show Profile
Ladies,
Please forgive my post with missing and misspelled words. At work and baby was fussing trying to hurry to finish post.
Ruthie Ann

http://simpleindianagirl.blogspot.com/

Farmgirl sister#4072

Edited by - ruthie218 on Apr 26 2012 12:08:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

fabraholic4
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Jan
BURLINGAME KS
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2012 :  12:11:57 PM  Show Profile  Send fabraholic4 a Yahoo! Message
Afternoon Porchies, I am sorry to tell you all this, but I am going to have to leave the porch for a bit. Just too much going on right now. Hope to return after things settle down.
Thanks for letting me join you all for a while.
Will miss ya!
Jan in KS

Oh for the simple life: family, quilts, corgi's, horses, homemade everything.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 669 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page