Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic
Page: of 669

AliciaNak
True Blue Farmgirl

405 Posts

Alicia
Elko Nevada
USA
405 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2012 :  08:17:27 AM  Show Profile
A moment on the porch before milking time.

Diane, have fun with all your crafts and crafter's fairs! Weiser..you may know my husband's grandparents and cousins. The Nakamuras. Shiz, Grandma Nakamura, worked at one of the schools for years. We go visit a few times a year. The cousins farm. Did well in Onions a few years back.

Bunny, that little Gypsy cottage looks darling! It would be extra special to have one built by your son, too.

Peggy, Hope you get some more quiet time today. Everyone needs a little.

No snow here yet. We had one little dusting, the boys got excited, and by the end of the day it was melted and gone. Back in the 50's during the day now, although nights dip down to freezing or 20's. I'm enjoying these days of no snow for now. We really need the water tho. I don't mind not having to fight frozen hoses for animal water. I've been hand milking Sunny in front of the barn/milking parlor so we can both soak up these last few days of sunshine. It's supposed to start with some weather on Sunday. Good, it's after we run to Homedale, Idaho to pick up Jersey cow number 3. Some days I wonder if I haven't gone totally crazy!

Enjoy your day ladies. 6 more sleeps until Thanksgiving!

Alicia
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.~Ralph Waldo Emmerson
www.blondenak.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2012 :  4:40:49 PM  Show Profile
Peggy, I try to take a nap, maybe every other year, and lo and behold, as soon as I lay down, the phone rings, or someone is knocking on the door. Never happens when I am up, so I do not nap at all. Hopefully you can get some naps in without interrupion. We went Sunday and got a turkey, went again today and got another one. I like to try to get 5 or 6 of them for the freezer. We have turkey every 2-3 months. You have to buy $25.00 to get a turkey, limit 1 for 49 cents a lb., so we go get a few things at a time. Will get another one on Sunday, then 2 or 3 more during the week.
Dianne, Have fun with your new spinning wheel. I have had mine for 2 years now and will practice with it after craft sale next week. There is nobody around here to learn from, so I am on my own. I just need the time to practice.
I worked today and will be working tomorrow, my son has an auction to go to. I am busy cleaning and arranging things in some sort of order, I got half done today and will finish tomorrow while working.

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2012 :  12:58:41 AM  Show Profile
Evening My Lovelies...

Dianne...who doesn't like chocolate??? Maybe somebody but it isn't me. Ha Ha!

Awesome you are getting a spinning wheel!!! Have fun with that girl! I know you will.

Oh, we have a bunch of crafters out doing the Bazaars this year huh? Well, I hope you all sell out of your goodies and make good profit.

Alicia...loved your "6 more sleeps until Thanksgiving!" Cute way to put it.

I love Jersey cows. I think they are my favorite of all cows.
A farmgirl friend of mine up in Canada let me name one of her four new Jersey's. I named it "Sassy". They have such beautiful eyes don't they?

Janet...here you have to spend $150.00 in groceries and then you get a free turkey. I like your deal much better. Most Organic, Free Range, grain fed turkeys are selling her for $40-$50.00 per turkey. Really high prices. We never see .49 per pound birds here. The cheapest I have seen is 1.99 per pound and those are the birds that are kept in cages and fed all kinds of disgusting things.

We eat a lot of turkey too but I only buy whole birds a couple times a year. I don't have a big freezer anymore to keep a lot of meat of any kind.

Netty...I always did a pretty table too when I use to do the big Thanksgiving dinners at our home. But for the last 11 yrs with my Fibro and working retail for half of that time...where I had to
have my store open early for black Friday...then we made a new tradition of going out to dinner on Thanksgiving. And we love it...other than the left-over issue. This year we have 9 of us going out together. All family and extended family. The place we go is right on The Columbia River...beautiful view...and they do a huge spread with lots of Seafood too.
And it is amazing how many of our friends we see there each year too. So, that isn't what a lot of people like to do...and I get that, but it works well for our family.

I bet you are just fabulous with the kids. I can tell just by what you share.

Well, it is one am and I still want to read for an hour before I go to sleep...so more tomorrow girls.

Hugs and smiles,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

"Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch"

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be His!

Edited by - LadyInRed on Nov 17 2012 01:04:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2012 :  06:35:41 AM  Show Profile
Bunny, maybe a yurt would be a good choice...... http://yakima.craigslist.org/grq/3404798352.html A lot cheaper and kind of cool.

Today is one of those busy, none relaxing Saturdays. I want to get some housework done and I have six rabbits to process and my husband wants to get the yard raked up and cleaned up so it doesn't look so nasty when the snow comes. I look forward to the day I have a lawn and some flowerbeds. Hubby was just wishing yesterday while we were burning weeds, that we had $30,000 for landscaping!! Wouldn't that be nice?! We both have grandiose plans of how we'd like the yard to look. UGH I need to be content with less. I am so blessed and I know it so why do I always want more????

All you ladies talking about spinning are making me jealous! I so want to learn to spin and weave. It's one of those things that just has to wait a bit. Maybe you could post pictures of your spinning wheels and of things you are making, doing? I know I'd love to see them.

Excuse the mess & the noise, my children are making happy memories

Sister #4045
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2012 :  09:25:44 AM  Show Profile
I love seeing skiffs of snow on flowers that are stil blooming. I took a pic of my gerber daisies a couple of years ago like that and passed it around and everyone really enjoyed the effect.
Loved the tiny house pics. So cute....but soooo expensive. WOW!
What are you saying Peg....that you DON'T go around muttering&talking to yourself. Riiiiight!! lol I do that constantly,being alone with just Rascal most of the time. And he doesn't answer me...so, ya....I have to play both roles. I always feel like I'm practicing for a school play.yammer-yammer-yammer...then,silence,then more yammering! lol
Man, I wish I could have a Jersey cow. Besides being such a beautiful animal, I would love all the milk and cream!
I would be milking out in the sun too, if I were you. mmmmm .... I can just smell the cows warm, soft coat and feel her warmth on my cheek.....ok....wake up Judy and come back to reality. hahaha
Kimberly, that's just human-nature talking in your ear......just like me and a cow....yeah, right! hahaha We always want what we don't have.
I always wanted a spinning wheel and a pottery wheel too. More dreams. I'd love to see pics too.
Well, it sure has been an intersting visit with my Sis&BIL. I think that now he thinks that he really shouldn't have come out so soon.We all think that he pushed himself just a little too much. He ate a steak&cheddar grinder and sharedPatsy's piece of birthday cake with her and late that night,after he went to bed he was barfing himself inside-out.That lasted for 2 hours. Then he fell asleep. So he stayed in bed most of the next day while DH took my Sister and I out shopping and to a restaurant called TGD(thanksgiving day)where they serve TG dinner all day,7 days a week. It was wonderful. So I got 2 dinners for Mama&I for Thanksgiving since we will be alone that day. DH works, Patsy will be at her daughters. So, anyhoo, Patsy got Jim a dinner and he tried to eat that the next day. Late that night he was up, just gagging this time,and had to sleep in the recliner. Poor guy just can't find his happy place anymore. I think those gallstones are going to have to be zapped or maybe the whole bladder&stones need to come out. I don't know. But he can't eat applesauce and water the rest of his life. I'm concerned about this Sistas! Please Pray for Jim(and poor Patsy)as you think of them. Thanks! I appreciate that!
So, today is a very quiet day since Patsy&Jim went to their daughters. She will see her other daughter while there too. Her son and his new wife flew in late last night from CA.,where he's in the A.F..They stopped here to visit for about 45 minutes,then they drove,with Patsy&Jim following, about 1 1/2 hours down to their daughters house.They won't be back until next Friday. That's when her son will be coming back this way and flying out to go back to CA..Patsy won't be heading back home until Sunday sometime. So I get a couple more days with them."yeah"
So....that said....Mama and I are going out to eat and shop a little today. She hasn't been out except when we brought her over here last night, so we all could see my nephew and his new bride together. After they all left, Mama and I sat down to a sandwich and..."quiet". hahahaha It was very nice...just Me&Mama!Funny what you get use too. I just can't do lots of noise and confusion at all. Weird!
Well, tome to hop to it.
Have a great Saturday. We have 50's/sun/niiiicccceee!(crazy weather)hahaha BUT...God ordered it! It's ok!

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
"Hey...Don't Make Me Put My Hands On My Hips!"

Edited by - herblady55 on Nov 17 2012 09:48:47 AM
Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2012 :  10:28:08 AM  Show Profile
Peg, I c an usually catch a nap Sunday afternoon but that’s about the only day. My DD and I have one more bazaar to do and are frantically trying to get stuff done.
Bunny one of my kitties after 6 years has turned into a lap cat! What’s up with that? No matter what I am doing if it involves sitting down he is in my lap and will not take no for an answer.
Also I do like that little house. The little non-profit that we are trying to get off the ground is using that concept, tiny housing. We want to us shipping containers to make compact housing in complexes for those who are homeless. Living in a car or tent at -10 degrees is horrible and done all the time up here.
Kim my son and I were talking about doing some upgrading on the garage and opening a doggy daycare. I have the land and the building but need a bunch of upgrading to the building, one half of the garage has a dirt floor. The wrong half to use for the doggy business unfortunately. I am thinking that the amount you mentioned for landscaping is probably what we need as well.

Diane, I never picked up spinning, I did a bit on a drop spindle but never had the time to get really involved in it. I did make myself two looms and used them to make several pillows and scarves. I also did some tapestry work on them. I have one unfinished tapestry that I plan to finish up when I finally get to retire in December. I really enjoyed weaving. Thanks on the earrings by the way. I enjoy making them. .
Alicia, we are in the same boat on snow. But we got at least enough to keep the miserable dust down. That glacial silt that blows around really does cause a lot of colds and sinus problems without snow to keep it down.
Netty and Jan, we are going up to my sister in law’s place in Willow AK for Thanksgiving. She has a very Alaskan place, the floor shifts when the ground freezes and they heat with a n outside wood fired boiler and hot water piped in. The house, too big for a cabin, was built from green wood and post and beam logs. I think that it might be even harder to keep dust free than my place.
I was sure sorry to hear about Hostess closing. Very bad.

CMF
Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2012 :  2:31:06 PM  Show Profile
Happy Saturday ladies,
I do hope yall are having a fine day. I am looking forward to break. We only have school on Monday and Tuesday and then we are off for the rest of the week. I am ready. Love my butterflies but this year they tend to wear me out somedays. I love Thanksgiving. Being with family and friends and of course eating turkey and chocolate pie. I am not a pumpkin pie person although I will make one if it is requested. But chocolate is whole different thing..hahahah

The weather is beautiful although very windy. I got my storm door on today so very happy about that. I had to laugh. Jax is taking a nap in front of it like he is the guard dog. I thought guard dogs don't sleep...hehahahah but he does...just too cute.

I am hoping to get caught up on some crochet and reading. Have been very busy these past few weeks. I am reading a murder mystery that takes place in a crochet shop. Really quite good.

well it is time for some tea.
love to you all
tammy

Tea is like being in the stars with God.

Visit my blog~If Teacups Talked http://frommyteacup.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

country treasure
True Blue Farmgirl

452 Posts

judy
SK
Canada
452 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2012 :  5:41:49 PM  Show Profile
Hey Red!!!!!
Missed our chats so when I saw your post well I thought I'd pull up a soft rocker & sit a spell with you all! Hope that's ok or should I have asked first????
Yep, Sassy is doing great & getting HUGE! LOL We're really beef & sheep farmers but after hubby learned how to make cheese well one thing lead to the other & we found four of the most lovely jersey heifers. We really went to buy one but they're all half sisters so....... LOL It was love at first sight. They're more pets than anything!
I asked Red, sorry Peggy, to name one so Sassy is one, Buttercup in honour of the first Jersey that hubby bought me along time ago, & there's TWO other girls that need their names! Does anyone want to name one? This will go on their official Canadian Jersey papers. We'll put the names in a hat & draw two out. What you think of on a very cold icy night in the middle of the boonies! LOL
Thanks for letting chat
Smiles Judy

country wishes!
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2012 :  6:47:24 PM  Show Profile
Netty, glad you are enjoying being a sub. It means alot when you love what you are doing. I know what you mean about Thanksgiving being less stressful, and more thankful. Although, bot holidays we only have my son and daughter come over for dinner. I do all the cooking, nobody else cooks, so it is all up to me. I bake way too much, but I am going to try to cut down this year. I do make care pkgs. for the kids to take home, so they have some home cooked meals for awhile.
Judy, nice of you to stop by and chat with us. The porch was getting a little lonely there for awhile. Everyone is so busy this time of the year getting ready for the winter ahead. I would not know what to name your Jerseys.
Kim, I will post some pictures when I do some spinning. My wheel is a newer one and is embelished with a wood burned sheep on the foot petal. It is in the livingroom, so I can enjoy looking at it daily. Now I just have to start using it.
Judy, I will keep Jim and Pat in my prayers. I do hope he does not get worse again. I am glad you are enjoying your visits. So nice to be with family. How does your mom like her new place? I bet it is alot easier on you being closer to you now.
Tammy, I imagine you are looking forward to a break from the little butterflies. It will be nice for you to have your first Christmas in your new place. You get to decorate differently from last year.
Next Friday and Saturday is the craft sale here, then I can slow down a bit and then pace myself for the holidays. I try not to rush with things, that way I am not stressed out and in a frazzle.
Peggy, That is good that your family enjoy going out for Thanksgiving dinner. We will probably do that when we retire and travel in a couple of years. We plan on living in a motorhome, so unless we plant ourselves for awhile, I don't think I will be cooking a big turkey. Who knows????
Have a great evening,

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

Go to Top of Page

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2012 :  7:45:42 PM  Show Profile
Hello ladies! I've missed everybody! I need to get the tea exchange list so I can get that mailed out. Could somebody send it to me? Who has December? I need to give you my new address.

Quick update: We've moved and finally settled (mostly) in our new home in North Dakota. We absolutely LOVE it here. We've had snow off and on since mid October :O) I feel so much more relaxed and safe now. It's a wonderful feeling. Hopefully now things are starting to settle a bit more I can start visiting here again. I need to catch up with everybody.

I

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
http://twilightburrough.blogspot.com/
Warren, MI
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2012 :  8:41:25 PM  Show Profile
RFMTammy, I just sent you an e-mail. I sent one at the beginning of the month. It came back with an error. Did you change your e-mail?
Whittney Chaney is the December Tea Hostess. I contacted her too. She chomping at the bit. hahaha Can't wait to hear more about ND.
Judy, Welcome,from another Judy! You don't have to ask permission to plop down on this porch. Everyone is welcome. Here...*hands you a steaming cuppa*... Pull up a floorboard! How about "SugarPlum" for a jersey name? It's cold and crisp and yet sweet,like their adorable faces.
So you're from Canada, Where 'bouts? Not too familiar with Canada 'cept for one trip there over July 4th years ago...probably the late 80's.Don't remember where though.I'll have to ask hubby.
Mom and I went to Bob Evans to eat. Then we went to the Dollar Tree and Goodwill.
I'm ready for bed now. Wore out! hahaha
Nite Porchies!

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
"Hey...Don't Make Me Put My Hands On My Hips!"
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2012 :  11:27:40 PM  Show Profile
Evening My Porchies...

Kimberly...I think Yurts are cool too. I guess my mom and dad stayed in one for a week in Montana about 15 yrs ago and they really loved it. I don't know about living in one full time but I guess it wouldn't be any worse than those tiny houses. Definately cheaper...but maybe not by the time you had everything done to the inside for storage, eating, sleeping and bathroom facilities.

Judy...I will be keeping Jim and Patsy in my prayers. He really is going to have to deal with that gallbladder. It is such an easy surgery because they now go in through the navel to remove it. They fold it up like a taco and pull it right out.
My husband had it done about 10 yrs ago....and the Dr. thought I needed to see the color glossy photos of his nice work. So, I know all about it. My DH sure felt better after he had it done. And it is a quick in and out day surgery.

Glad you and your mama got out for some fun together.
And glad that Patsy and Jim got to go see their kids. That is awesome!

Cherime...I have seen some amazing shipping container houses on an HGTV program. So, it can be done. And like you said...much better than living in a car or tent or under a bridge.

Teacher Tammy...what is the name of the Book you are reading? Inquiring minds want to know! (+:

I am glad that you are having pretty weather...ours is very rainy and windy. We are suppose to have flooding by Tues. and Wed. in some areas around here.

Good for Jax knowing his job around the house.

Judy/My Country Treasure...you absolutely do not need to ask to join us on the Porch. I was so happy to see your post. I figured since I hadn't heard from you that you were recooping from daughters visit. How was it??? I bet you made the most of those two weeks with her.
Glad to hear that my Sassy Girl is getting bigger. Fat and Sassy is a good thing!!! LOl I tried to post that picture of the girls that you sent to me...but it wouldn't post. Maybe you can try it. I know everyone would love to see them.

We are getting fields and fields of Canadian Geese stopping off on their flight south (I guess that is where they go). I think of you whenever I see them.
Though Non of them Have said, "Hey Red,
Judy and Walt say Hi!" LOL

Give me a little shout out on my email...as I want to hear about your visit when with your sweet girl.

Janet...I have a friend here who belongs to my Bible Study Group...and her youngest daughter is graduating from HS this Spring. And once she does then my friend and her husband are going to sell everything and travel full time in their RV. She plans to continue in Bible Study with us via
Skype. She is so excited...but her youngest daughter is less than thrilled. She kept saying, "Where am I going to go, when I'm on break from College?"
My friend said, "Oh, you can go stay with your Grandmother or join us where ever we are at the time."
Annie did not think that was a good alternative to coming back to her
HOME.

RFM Tammy...well blow us right off the Porch girl. So, good to hear from you. I wondered several times how things we going for you in North Dakota. I don't envy you the snow so early.

Glad to hear that you are feeling relaxed and safe there. How is your man's job going?
Did you find work there?

Hope you keep coming back and letting us In on all your new experiences.

Judy...I like the name SugarPlum. Good one!

Netty...just going back to work, even part time is a big adjustment. When I went back into the
work force, when I was 43 yrs old...I started out PT and split shifts. I would come home and crash in the recliner and sleep until time to go back to work. I could not believe how FATIGUED I was all the time. I felt more like 83 than 43. LOL So, don't be too hard on yourself. Rest as much as you need to until you are adjusted to it.

OK...it has been a bad Fibro day for me. I think it is going to be a bad Fibro week. But hopefully by Thurs. my body will acclumated to the rain...and I can have a Wonderful Thanksgiving with my family.

Off to read...Nightie Night,
peggy/red

Farmgirl #1326

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be His!
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2012 :  06:53:22 AM  Show Profile
Hey Judy always nice to see another Canuk on here!!! Don't know Kuroki, SK but I've got family in Meadow Lake, Pierceland, Saskatoon (area). See when you're a Mennonite you are related to most all of Saskatchewan. :) Born and raised in Fort St. John, BC, moved to the States to marry my hubby. But I am and always will be a CANADIAN. For your Jerseys I like the name Peaches & Cream or Feline (I think that's the name of the little girl deer in Bambi). If they were on our place you KNOW my daughter would name one Princess Celestia (my little pony).

Oops best get going, gotta get everything done before we leave for Church. A wonderful, blessed Sunday to all.

Sister #4045
Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2012 :  5:42:53 PM  Show Profile
Happy Sunday,ladies,
I thought I would share a cute picture of my guard dog sleeping.

now isn't that just too cute.
I made bread and soup and banana bread today. My house smells divine.
I hope yall had a wonderful day. I am off to read a bit and then have tea. ONly two days of school this week with the butterflies...flapping my wings...I am free...hehehehe I do love them but Madame Butterfly needs to renew and refresh.
love to you all
Tammy

Go to Top of Page

AliciaNak
True Blue Farmgirl

405 Posts

Alicia
Elko Nevada
USA
405 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2012 :  10:43:38 PM  Show Profile
Cherine,
I lived in Wasilla as a young child!
I was born in Anchorage (me in one hospital and my little brother at the other one, I can't remember who was where). I learned to ride at the horse farm down the road from our house, still remember my favorite pony was Peanuts. I went to snowshoe elementary for Kindergarden and first (until we moved to the lower 48).
Dad would hop on the 3-wheeler to go catch a few salmon for dinner. We lived down the road a bit from the Knick-Knack Mud Shack. =)
We come up every few years to visit family and fish (I don't eat much fish down here). My older half brother and his wife live in Wasilla now.
Thankx for the trip down memory lane. Hope you all have a great Monday. (we are supposed to get some snow tonight)

Alicia
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.~Ralph Waldo Emmerson
Go to Top of Page

AliciaNak
True Blue Farmgirl

405 Posts

Alicia
Elko Nevada
USA
405 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2012 :  10:56:17 PM  Show Profile

Nellie is the new gal, on the left, Cinnamon was my Birthday '12 cow, and Sunny is the darkest one on the right (the good ole' gal who taught us the ropes of milking)

4 more sleeps (counting tonight) until Turkey day. =) Lots of baking and cream cheese making for me tomorrow, g'night.

Alicia
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2012 :  09:02:50 AM  Show Profile
Alicia, your Jersey's are pretty girls. The thing I love about Jersey's and Brown Swiss is their eyes. They just have that deer look of sweetness and gentleness about them. Dairy animals always look like they're starving to me! I remember when I first got my dairy goats and I was freaking out because they were so skinny and they weren't eating their food and I was positive something was wrong and I was somehow killing them. My goat expert came over to help me out and she shook her head. "Kimberly these are not sleek horses these are dairy animals and dairy animals look gaunt! There's enough food in that feeder for a week!!!! Your goats are in excellent condition." Oh. So now that I'm conditioned to it I know that they look fine but a little part of me still says ACKKK feed them. :)

You've definately lived in two extremes. Alaska and Nevada. It's like moving to the moon isn't it? When I left NE BC Canada and moved to Bakersfield area of CA it was a serious shock to the system. I arrived in CA the end of September and my body was gearing up for winter walking into 105F was a wee bit hard on the ol' gal. I spent a lot of time in the air conditioned house and the pool because my body was going into shock. Everybody there was laughing at me asking if I could handle the heat and I just chuckled and said someday I'd take them where it was 40, 50 or 60 below C and then we'd see who was laughing!

I'm a pretty joyful Momma right now. My children have been asking to be baptized but I wanted to make sure they knew what they were doing and weren't just doing something cause others were. We went to a baptism class yesterday where the Pastor explained things at a child's level and both my children are determined to be baptized. My heart is full. So blessed. So it looks like my children will be following the Lord in obedience and being baptized in December!!! Be prepared for the cameras flashing because I will be documenting this occasion. Also on December 2nd the kids and I will be doing a special number during church service. They will be reciting Psalms 34 and then we will sing I Saw The Light together. So I'll be dusting off the ol' guitar. I come from a musical family and I started singing in church at an early age so I've always wanted the same for my children. I guess you could say a small dream of mine is starting to come true. God is GOOD.

Sister #4045
Go to Top of Page

AliciaNak
True Blue Farmgirl

405 Posts

Alicia
Elko Nevada
USA
405 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2012 :  1:28:50 PM  Show Profile
Kimberly,

First off, The Baptism news is AWESOME! I went through the same situation this summer. Congratulations! Sure does make your heart swell with love and joy!

It's amazing how different my 3 girls are, yet they are all Jerseys! They do have these incredible doe eyes. And such dainty heads! I went through the same shock with Sunny Belle after I had her home for a while. Acck, Feed that girl! She's starving to provide milk for you and the family! Such a selfless ole' gal! So I put a few big bales out in her pasture (dry lot really, not much grazing), and she just got bigger around the belly, didn't cover up those bones at all! And then she could barely fit through the milking room door, so she had to go on a little diet! I still go out and throw a few flakes of hay when I think they don't look like they are chewing their cud enough, or if it's been nasty weather. They really should eat some more...haha
After being at a few different Jersey only dairies I have decided my old gal Sunny Belle looks very good for her age. Body and udder wise. And yep, she's a Jersey, they come in all shades of brown/tan. Even broken colored like little April (Sunny's calf). It's always nice to talk and be around the "experts" that have been in the Jersey world for 45-50 years and have them re-affirm my thoughts and actions. I am by far no expert yet! But around these parts I am the "Crazy Dairy Cow Lady", LOL! Better than just being crazy, right? hehe =)

Yep, two extremes for sure! But keeping in touch with all the family in Alaska has shown me that there are times that Nevada is a much harsher climate than Alaska. At least the Anchorage, coastal area. If only I could bring some of the green and moisture down here in the summer time. My horses and cows would LOVE me for it!

Alicia
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2012 :  12:06:54 AM  Show Profile
Teacher Tammy...love that picture of little Jax guarding the door.
He really looks like he would be a force to reacon with. He He!

Oh banana bread sounds good. I don't think I got enough this fall.

One more day and then you get to fly away and play...or relax and eat.

Alicia and Kimberly...I am sure glad that you cleared up my concern about those Jersey's that look like they've missed a few meals. I was really concerned.

I have to admit that I have never seen bony Jersey's before. Ours up here in the NW are all fat and sassy. I wonder what the difference is? Could it just be that we have year round green pasture land???? I don't know, just guessing really. I am not a farmer I just know what I observe.

I know that my Canadian friend Judy...her girls (Jerseys) are smaller than our Jerseys down here and she said that is pretty common.

Kimberly...Congratulations that your children have decided that they are ready to be baptized. That is always an exciting time. And for sure we want to see those pix.

Well, I am driving up to Seattle with my youngest son, tomorrow morning.
Like in 8 hrs. He has a business meeting and just wants some company on the trip up and back. It is about 7 or 8 hrs round trip. I will go hang out in a bookstore while he is in his meeting.

Terrible Storm here today. And our Coast was hit with category 3 hurricane winds today and they got 6-8 inches of rain in about a 12 hour period. Flooding everywhere.
Even here but not as
severe. Lots of power outages and downed trees. Only one death that I know of. Praise God!

Off to read for a few minutes....

love and hugs,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2012 :  06:35:09 AM  Show Profile
I am so busy right now, between getting ready for the craft show this weekend and Thanksgiving dinner preps. I will probably not be on here for a few days, just wanted you to know that I was still around and kicking. We see you all on Monday!!!! Have a great Thanksgiving and weekend!!!!!

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

Go to Top of Page

AliciaNak
True Blue Farmgirl

405 Posts

Alicia
Elko Nevada
USA
405 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2012 :  06:58:33 AM  Show Profile
PeggyAnn,
The year round pasture and green grass could be one reason for the fatter Jerseys in your area. I would love to be able to offer my girls more real grazing, but without a big irrigation system for our pasture that just won't happen.

I wouldn't mind hanging out in the book store browsing and reading! Safe travels.
I wouldn't know what to do with rains like that! It would certainly cause flash floods here.

Teacher Tammy- I agree, Jax looks like a very capable guard dog =) He sure is liking that spot!

Janet- Have a happy Thanksgiving and hope your craft show goes well!

Happy Thanksgiving to all you ladies!
Have a great day!

Alicia
Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2012 :  08:28:08 AM  Show Profile
Alicia, how long has it been since you have been up here? KGB is now experiencing the commuter rush between 5 and 6:30 pm due to the amazing springing up of duplexes and fourplexes up and down the road. I live on the frontage road that runs along the inlet side of KGB between Vine Rd and back toward town. I used to be the only house, my how that has changed. If I had any money I would buy a place in Willow to escape. They are having a planning meeting 12/6 to inform us of the scheduled changes to KGB in 2017. This should prove interesting.
Back to the grind as I have a whole bunch of stuff to get done before closing this place down for the long weekend. Blessings all and sell out Jan.

CMF
Go to Top of Page

AliciaNak
True Blue Farmgirl

405 Posts

Alicia
Elko Nevada
USA
405 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2012 :  2:36:15 PM  Show Profile
Cherime, it's been a few years. Last trip when we made it through Wasilla instead of just visiting family was....3 years ago I believe. Anchorage had just had the wettest August on record. I loved the sprinkling rain and overcast. But I see where my family was coming from, over a month of not seeing a blue sky. Good luck with the planning meeting.
We are experiencing the same growth around us. My mom has a friend with a cabin in Willow. My Grandmother has a few lots over in the Caswell lakes area. That was fun to tromp around, in the wet. Saw lots of cool mushrooms tho! There's a post on my blog about it, and the traveling gnome I crocheted for GGMA (she goes by Great Grand Ma, so GGMA for short).

Happy Thanksgiving!

Alicia
Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2012 :  08:02:39 AM  Show Profile
Good morning ladies,
I have brought you some rose tea and scones this morning. Oh it is beautiful morning here in my little corner of the world. I got to sleep in a bit this morning since I am on vacation the rest of the week. Yeah! Today I am going to lunch with my mom and then my new curtains for my house are arriving today and being hung. I am very excited about that.

Peggy I just finished reading hooked on murder. It was pretty good. Now reading An Ordinary Day. I stayed up last night reading for the first time in a very long time. It was wonderful to just enjoy it.

Happy Thanksgiving to all you wonderful ladies.
Well time to put some clothes in the dryer.
love to you all
Tammy

Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2012 :  12:28:23 AM  Show Profile

Hello My Sweet Porchies...

I pray that everyone has a Blessed Thanksgiving Day. Filled with lots of Love and Good Eats.
We all have so very much to be thankful for don't we? Praise His Holy Name!

Today I put away all The Fall/Thanksgiving stuff and got out all The Christmas Stuff. Everything
looks Christmasie at my House. I got the tree put up and the Star and lights put on. I will
decorate it tomorrow night. I also fixed a small turkey and dressing...so even though we are going
out to dinner...we will still have some left-overs. I kept it all very simple.

Well, My Lovelies save room for some pumpkin pie and tea or coffee on The Porch later tonight.

Love and hugs,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 669 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page