Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic
Page: of 669

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2348 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2348 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2015 :  06:26:15 AM  Show Profile
Hi, Joyce! Good to see you here. Our porch is magical in that a new rocking chair pops up for everyone that stops by. I hope you find your chair comfy.

Lorena, oh my, that is a lot of heartache. I'm so sorry you've had to deal with all that. Concerning your son, he probably doesn't even notice if he's getting a gift from the aunt or not. I'm surprised that the aunt sends the gifts. It's probably her way of trying to stay connected as if nothing is wrong. It's probably not even an apology because she probably doesn't think she's done anything wrong. Sending the gift to your son is a type of control. She bypasses you and makes it seem as though she's being generous to your son which in turn is supposed to make you feel confused because you want your son to have the gift and yet, like you said, cashing the checks makes you feel like it's saying you're ok with everything. If you send the checks back, then you're playing into her game. It would also cause a possible confrontation and you probably want to wash your hands of them and go on with your life. Perhaps just don't cash them and don't send them back. Not cashing them is your silent protest. She will figure it out and the ball will be in her court to take action to reconcile or take no action and leave things as they are.
Someone else may have the advice that family unity is too important to let arguments tear it apart. So, you could do the total opposite and contact her to hash it all out. But, I have a feeling that the aunt will probably get defensive and try to justify her actions.
Lorena, you need to give yourself time to heal from all this. In time, and with a proper apology from them, you may find it necessary to clear things up and reconcile.
I guess a question I have is if your mother still has contact. Has she forgiven the actions and retained a relationship? If she has, then maybe you should consider it, too. You're in a tough place. I'll be praying.

Catherine
Sister #76 (2005)
One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt.

Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2015 :  10:49:52 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Cathy. What you said is dead on. I will have to discuss things further with my husband. Mom has always seemed to be the outcast. Her older brother could do no wrong. And there was always a younger sibling needing attention. Imagine being married for 20 some years with 4 children. Imagine how you would feel if your mom says to you hey I actually LIKE you. Yes it did happen to my mom. Now I'm not saying my mom's a saint cause no one is. This is nothing really new in the family drama. But I'm just sick of it. My parents did the best they could with limited resources to help her family. My dad spent family vacations there fixing cars or rebuildinig one room or another for members of her family instead of relaxing. I don't have a lot of sentiment for Michigan nor do I feel extremely close to any of the remaining sisters. The one who passed recently was the one I was closest too. She gave me my first horse. I have all the tack and still use it when I ride with other people. Thanks again Cathy.

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2015 :  11:03:16 AM  Show Profile
Mom has tried to be the bigger person. But she wants to wash her hands of them in a way I guess. It's difficult for her because she has only her uncle who is more like a brother. It is going to be difficult for her because she still loves her sisters.

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2015 :  11:58:58 AM  Show Profile
Lorena...all I can tell you from years of counseling women...Those who are hardest to love are usually those
closest to you/Your own FAMILY. But God gave us Family to teach us how to over come the hard obstacles in life.
If we can love them despite themselves (like God loves us) then we can learn to over look many of their flaws
and baggage...just as others over look ours. That doesn't mean you have to be fake about it but it does mean a
lot of forgiving and forgetting. Every Family is dysfunctional...but they are our Family...and that means you
try extra hard to get a long...and if you absolutely can't...then cut the strings and move on. But don't burn
bridges when you do...always leave room for future reconciliation. Sometimes stepping back and away for awhile
allows everyone time to regain their strength and equilibrium...AND TIME HEALS! And at the End of Your Life...
you discover...That People are what really matter...so every chance you get...be a Bridge Mender.

Love and Hugs,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

Don't allow others to steal the Glitz from your *SPARKLE*

Life is too short to knit with ugly yarn!

Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2015 :  12:18:46 PM  Show Profile
Okay - I KNOW I am going to miss things/posts, so I apologize now! My brain seems to be half off today, though at least that means it is half on too :)

Heather - where are you??? So hoping your week is going better! Your kittens and cows are just gorgeous! My kids keep asking to see those pictures again and again. I think, like me, they are dreaming of the day that will be us :)

Mel - so glad you had such a wonderful time with your granddaughter! She is so pretty! Praying your relationship with her continues to grow strong!

Joyce - Welcome to the porch! There is always something lovely going on here :)

Lorena - I have no words of advice! However, I will join you in prayer over this situation!

Peggy - I must agree that there always seems to be something dysfunctional about every family!!! Sometimes it feels like we are the only ones like that... You just have to get close enough to someone else's to know that there's is too!

Sabrina - Oh how I can relate to how you feel with your middle daughter! My second child is borderline autistic/aspergers... it means a lot of scheduling, a lot of consistency, and a lot of prayer on my part! And when he eats something he shouldn't, or his schedule gets thrown off a little - OH MY! I will definitely be praying for you as well in the weeks to come!!!

Well things around here have been pretty quiet. Sorta. Aly (the youngest) is fighting a stomach bug STILL, so I stayed home from church with her today. I was able to get my entire downstairs clean, while holding her, in that 4 hours!!! Makes me want to reconsider homeschooling versus public school, lol. Not really, but I can understand why I never get anything done now - too busy chasing around the rest of the kids, trying to get them done. We've been focusing on England for the last week. We decided to do a little "Mary Poppins" twist this afternoon, and had an afternoon tea, with English Breakfast tea, apple spice scones, and strawberry soup. (You guys are welcome to some!!!) Tonight will be a slow roasted chicken dinner. I think Tuesday will be our last meal - Fish and Chips. Oh how I LOVE fried fish!!! We use a gluten free batter and cod! So yummy!!! The "chips" (aka french fries) we bake rather than fry!

I'm hoping to start planting my garden this afternoon. I planned it all out, including a month-by-month calendar of what needs to be planted when and what should be ready when. So excited!!! I want to try to get my snap peas in the ground today. Technically I am about a week late, but hopefully we will still get something!

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2015 :  1:43:31 PM  Show Profile
Peggy- My other kids were born in September (2 of them) and October so this is a whole different time of year! :). Since most of my family's important dates fall between Aug and Nov its going to be nice to have something in late Feb. Yes we are planning a homebirth with a midwife who will come here. I'll just call her to come instead of going to the hospital. I haven't had a homebirth before but my last 2 were born in a stand alone birth center (one not attached to a hospital) with only midwives. I historically have very easy pregnancies and births and so far have no concerns with this one but midwives are very cautious and take you to the hospital if anything appears even remotely amiss (well that is what good ones do).

Welcome Joyce!! There are at least 2 other homeschoolers on here (my and Shannon, not sure if there are any more)! I'd love to see pics of your farm sometime sounds like what we are hoping for some day! Also my kids are 9, 5 and 3 (and one on the way) so close in age!!

Lorena-I don't have any advice but sorry for all you are going through.

I haven't been doing nearly as much crafty stuff lately just been barely keeping up with normal home and family stuff. I'm still hoping to at least make a couple diaper covers and I'm working on the crocheted baby blanket. That may be all that gets done and I think I'm ok with that. I already have a list of things I want to work on after baby comes lol. I will be 36 weeks on Wed. Its kind of surreal that baby could technically come anytime now although I really don't expect an appearance until right around 40 weeks. I think I have most of the absolutely MUST do stuff done now. Hubby finished the tv stand that we needed because we had been using our baby dresser for a tv stand. So now the dresser is in our room ready to be put to use. I will start washing baby stuff tomorrow. I have a busy couple of weeks which will help the time pass but I'm not sure if that is good or not lol. I'm ready but not ready!

Now I'll go read the next page lol. I could only keep up with replies on one at a time!!

Sabrina

Farmgirl Sister #3275
Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2015 :  1:52:42 PM  Show Profile
Shannon-YES! I honestly suspect some very mild form of ASD or a very severe form of ADHD. Some days she is just awesome and others are hell (excuse the language). Sometimes she adjusts fine to change and others she doesn't at all. And there is very little predicting it. We ended up going to Thursday Bible study and when we got home she had a meltdown but she recovered and the rest of the day went ok (I think because I managed to keep it together and act like it was no big deal). Friday wasn't great but wasn't horrible, I think she was needing some attention and I was just tapped out from the week. Unfortunately this week is busy with things I committed to before I realized she needs more consistency and so is next so hopefully we survive them. One reason I'm looking forward to baby (other than the obvious!) is that it gives me an excuse to not participate in things for a while and really focus on our family. I think we need that. Oh and food.....gosh why does food have to be such an issue! I think we are in a place where its mostly figured out for us and we usually are able to get others to work with us and not give her things she shouldn't have but its exhausting, and expensive! And I get tired of having to explain/justify it to others but it is SOOOO worth it for the difference it makes!!

I know I'm missing other people and what is going on with them, sorry ladies, pregnancy brain is making it hard for me to remember what I'm reading long enough to reply!! :) But I am reading and when I read someone having a hard time I say a quick prayer right then so I don't forget!

Now I'm going to crochet a bit and hope to get tired since I really should be sleeping but can't get comfortable!

Sabrina

Farmgirl Sister #3275
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2015 :  2:45:06 PM  Show Profile
Praying gals...Praying! May God Bless your little families and give the Hubby's Grace&Wisdom!!

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
"Hey...Don't Make Me Put My Hands On My Hips!"
"The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it is on my list!"
Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2015 :  5:33:21 PM  Show Profile
hi yall sweet things,
I love seeing all the chatter happening here. I brought strawberry tea and chocolate chip cookies. So dig in and enjoy.

Welcome Joyce to the porch so sweet to meet you

Bunny I am thinking we are going to have load up the bug and come get you...We miss you!!!!!!!!!!! Please come out

Judy what mystery are you reading? Inquiring minds would like to know.
I just finished the girl chasing after the moon. It was good until the ending...then I didn't like it...I hate when great books have bad endings.

Peggy can't wait to get your tea. What are you reading? Are you back in your bible study? We were supposed to start last week, but our leader bought the wrong books and it was one we just did so bless her heart she had to send back.

well ladies, I am off for crochet and tea and then bed. Morning with butterflies comes early. I had six or seven out each day last week. A teacher's nightmare trying to keep up with make up work. I am hoping they will feel better soon.

love to you all,
Tammy

Tea is like being in the stars with God.

Visit my blog~Purple Skies
http://mypurpleskies.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
Schoolmarm

1411 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
1411 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2015 :  7:21:17 PM  Show Profile
Thank you for all the warm welcome guys!! When I hear you all talk about bible studies...I get a bit envious! We still haven't really found a home church since we've moved, and it's been a bit hard! Sometimes we listen online, and sometimes we go to one in town, but we're not 100% sure on the doctrine there, so it's been hard! I do miss Bible Study as well.

I'm reading LM Montgomery right now - her journals. I have all her books that she's written and poetry, so it's been interesting reading her journals now. I'm a huge Montgomery fun :) She's my favourite author.

As for crafty things..I'm working on a wedding ring quilt for our 10th anniversary, and that's about it right now!

My husband and I were just saying today that we need to start thinking about buying our seeds and chicks! I'm pretty excited about it :) I'm enjoying this little Virtual Porch! I'm looking forward to spring/summer when I can actually sit on my porch, and be at the virtual porch :D

God Bless! Joyce

Joyce Hein
Farmgirl Sister #6071
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2348 Posts

Houston Area Texas
2348 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2015 :  05:42:19 AM  Show Profile
Good morning, gals.

I have a little something for the Porch this morning. I trimmed several of my rosemary bushes yesterday and have tied them into bundles to dry. I have enough bundles to keep and to share. The ones in my home are hung on strings across my kitchen. I'm going to hang the bundles of rosemary from the rafters on our Porch. Oh my, the aroma in my home right now is incredible! I hope y'all enjoy the aroma on the Porch.

Sabrina mentioned homeschoolers. I'm a 'retired' homeschooler. Except I think you never really stop. We homeschooled our kids the whole way through and finished last year. Woo Hoo! Success! They're holding full time jobs and going to college and have various other things they do. They are well rounded and more mature than others their age. They're actually better "socialized" than their non-homeschooled peers.

The transition to college was very easy. This is funny....the only thing they were not familiar with were the 'scantron' sheets that are used for tests. They had to learn how to fill in the little oval next to A B C or D for the answer to a question. HA HA HA!! If that's all they weren't prepared for, then I think we're good.

So, you moms that are in the trenches of schooling your kids, y'all are awesome! Hang in there. The worst day homeschooling is still better than the best day in institutionalized schooling. And, about the dreaded "S" word...don't worry or fret about socialization or the criticism from others about sheltering your kids from supposed real life. That's a bunch of hooey. You are equipping your kids with the tools and filling their arsenal with the skills to thrive in the real world when they are age appropriate for doing so.

Everybody have an awesome Monday!!

Catherine
Sister #76 (2005)
One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt.

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2015 :  06:04:19 AM  Show Profile
Sabrina - I will definitely be praying for you over the next couple weeks... that she is able to get what she needs even in the midst of the schedule. I find for my child it is the chaos of the running and the stress of being out that drives him batty... both figuratively and literally ;) Once we get him in a "good place," he is fantastic! Super helpful and a sweetheart. It is just getting him to process everything, I think. I struggle with finding how to teach him to process things as they are happening, however, rather than "losing it" and then later processing it. Hmmm all that sounds confusing, but I am guessing you will totally understand what I am saying ;) As for being expensive - OH MY YES! We all eat gluten free, as I have a few that have issues, and my oh my does the grocery bill add up... to more than my mortgage!!! So glad you have your MUST things done... praying the rest of your "waiting time" goes quickly and smoothly for you! Looking forward to "meeting" the little one!

TLTammy - hmmm never have had strawberry tea. Thank you for the cup... and the chocolate chip cookies. I haven't had those in forever!

Joyce - not having a home church is the thing I am dreading the most when we move in a couple years! We absolutely love the one we have here!!! LOVE that you are quilting! I have started one, but haven't worked on it in forever! It was suppose to be for my daughter... It might have to be for her wedding, at the rate I am going ;) A friend had been teaching me, but unfortunately she proved to be a "fair weather friend." When I went through a really hard time a couple years ago, she disappeared. When things calmed down she was back around. I don't deal well with those kind of people... either you are a friend or not. Hmmm okay - rant over ;) All of that to say I now have to MAKE time to work on it and teach myself, which just is not happening.

Catherine - oh how I love the smell of rosemary! I can never get it to grow well here! Makes no sense when I think about it.. we are warm here! I wonder if I need to mulch the soil more so that the sun doesn't kill the nutrients in the soil. Thank you so much for the encouragement about homeschooling! I love doing it... most days. There are other days that I just want to pull my hair out and I feel like I am failing them, lol.

Well I guess I should get a move on. I need to get some things done before I take my younger two girls to therapy. Speaking of - good news - my middle daughter graduated from occupational therapy :) Now she just has speech therapy! And I'm thinking Aly won't be in physical therapy much longer either, now that she is walking all over the place! Oh I hate to leave the comforts of the porch!!!

~ Shannon

Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2348 Posts

Houston Area Texas
2348 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2015 :  06:23:10 AM  Show Profile
Shannon, I'm not sure why rosemary doesn't do well there. Our summers reach over 100 degrees and my bushes absolutely thrive in the full sun. Perhaps it's the variety. Since I just pruned yesterday, I'm gonna unbundle some that I've started to dry and try to root them. Or I'll prune some fresh and root. Then if they root well, I'll send them to you.

Catherine
Sister #76 (2005)

Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2348 Posts

Houston Area Texas
2348 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2015 :  06:24:29 AM  Show Profile
ooooooh, I just had an idea. If the rooting goes well, I can send some rosemary to all the Tea Swap gals when it's my month!

Catherine
Sister #76 (2005)

Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2015 :  06:40:55 AM  Show Profile
The rosemary sounds great Catherine but unfortunately you may want to skip it in my package, not sure what the customs rules are on that sort of thing :).

We had our 4th Farm Girl chapter meeting today. We tried to make reusable dish covers (to use in place of saran wrap) but it didn't really go as expected. I need to do some digging and figure out what went wrong. But of course we had fun getting together as always. This may have been my last one for a couple months but who knows, the next one is 2 days before my "due date" so it all depends on baby and how I'm feeling.

Of course going somewhere this morning means my daughter is wound up and having some issues, they haven't been horrible luckily but its definitely noticeable. I'm completely exhausted. I didn't even do much but I'm just wore out!!! I still have so many projects I want to do but I may just have to admit defeat and rest the last few weeks. I'm seriously considering just buying a few small diaper covers to get me through until I have the energy to make some after baby (then again will I have the energy at all while baby is still in diapers???). I hate to since I have a good bit of PUL to use, at least 9 diaper cuts and 2 yards of print fabric. All my old covers need new elastic and some just need to be trashed I think, my other kids were hard on their diapers! I have enough prefolds to use as inserts, I wanted to make some of them into fitteds but again it may just have to wait, especially since they work as they are!

Now I need to go write my birth plan. For some reason I just can't think of what to write. I mean I know what I want just can't get it onto paper. It will basically be "leave me alone." lol So now I need to figure out a nicer more diplomatic way of saying that. I know my doula would appreciate me finishing it!

Have a good day ladies!
Sabrina

Farmgirl Sister #3275
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2015 :  7:16:22 PM  Show Profile
Hello everybody! It's been beautiful here with temps in the mid to upper 30's. Lots of snow melt off which is making it very muddy (so much for the dog's grooming job lol). Unfortunately we're getting ready for the temps to start dropping rapidly. It was nice while it lasted. I took the pups for a walk after work. It would have been nicer if it wasn't so muddy. We have several roads around us that aren't paved and the roads are like mud pits.

How is everybody doing on the eastern side of the country? How many inches did the blizzard dump on you?

We harvested our lettuce! It was so tender and yummy. The lettuce was between 5.5" and 6" tall, so pretty good size. Hopefully we'll get more growth so we can keep harvesting.

Sabrina - I'm also working on a baby afghan but no for myself thankfully lol. It's for a girl that use to work with me. It's a 10-stitch pattern. I'm thinking I want it about 36" square and it's roughly 23.5" right now.

Well, I have a whiny dog I need to try and figure out what is wrong with. Fresh sourdough bread and warm milk for everybody to enjoy on the porch :O)

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
http://ndprairiegypsy.blogspot.com/
Etsy: PrairieGypsyCrafts
Jamestown, ND
Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
Schoolmarm

1411 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
1411 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2015 :  7:56:57 PM  Show Profile
Sabrina - I'm praying for you as your date comes closer and closer! I can't wait to hear about the wee one - and see pics too! I long for another baby :) My youngest is 4, and my arms are aching for another baby to hold!

Your lettuce looks sooo delicious Tammy! And the afghan is just beautiful. Is that crochet or knitting? I don't do either, so I'm actually not sure what the difference is.

The temperatures today have been extremely mild - maybe 16c? The coldest we've had is -5ish all winter. I really do miss my East Coast winters - and so do the kids! We haven't seen one flake of snow yet this year :( It's so sad - my kids saw a heavy frost and ran outside and got the sled and started pulling each other (and the cat!) on the sled over the frost.

I'm curious - what's the Tea Swap that I'm hearing about from some of you gals?

I'm off to work on my youngest son's scrapbook.

Joyce Hein
Farmgirl Sister #6071

Edited by - GinghamGirl on Jan 27 2015 7:57:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2015 :  10:27:44 PM  Show Profile
Hi Girls...will try to get back on later tonight or tomorrow.
Just wanted the Tea Ladies to know that your packages went out
today...all except for for Sabrina's...as I have to go down town
to mail yours because of the Customs Paper Work. Will get that
done in the next day or two. Hate to tell you all but the
postage went up on all Bubble Wrap Mailers. What cost me $2.30
something last year...cost $3.13 each this year. My suggestion
is...if you want it to go cheaper...use legal size envelopes or
manilla mailers that aren't bubble wrap lined. Just a suggestion.
I am always mad at the Post Office over mailing prices. LOL
I'm Cheap!!!

Later Girlies,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2015 :  06:03:28 AM  Show Profile
Good morning Porchies :) Hoping everyone is staying warm and cozy! We have been hit with a cold blast again.... well cold for us ;) We are only suppose to get up to 49 today... whereas we have been in the 60s. I know I know - nothing to complain about!!!! My Aly is sick again :/ This stomach bug that is going around is vicious! Thankfully, we have nowhere to go today!

Catherine - the rosemary sounds lovely!!!! Perhaps I bought diseased plants! Who knows!!!

Sabrina - I do terrible with birth plans... I usually end up looking some up online and picking and choosing what they wrote to make it my own. I am pretty much the same as you. Do not touch me or talk to me, unless it is my hubby who better tell me he loves me and that I can do it. LOL!!!! Once baby is born - do not touch the baby and leave us alone, unless I ask for something. No you may not take the baby out of the room for any reason (I have to do hospital births because of having 2 c-sections before). So sorry to here the kiddos had a rough time the other day - have things calmed down for you? Yesterday was horrible for us... but Monday was therapy, so we were out of the house, so totally expected. Hopefully today will be quiet and calm :) Well other than Aly being sick ;) Sorry to hear the covers didn't work - I have been wanting to make some of those!

PG Tammy - I seriously cracked up when you were talking about how beautiful it is right now in the mid 30s! Ummmm yeah..... we will have a HUGE adjustment when we move in a couple years! Your lettuce looks absolutely delicious! And I love the afghan! My mom gives each newborn an afghan and baby quilt after they are born!

Joyce - I totally understand your kids' desire to see snow! Though I must say the image of the kids pulling each other and the cat on a sled over frost is just delightful! When we first moved here, my hubby had a snow blade for his riding lawnmower (which we eventually got rid of) - he was so excited over te half an inch of snow they got (if that much), that he plowed everyone's driveways and sidewalks. It was so funny!!! The tea swap... let me see if I can explain.... this will be my first year. In December!?!? a new list is put up to sign up for a month. It s first come, first serve, and once a month is taken, it is gone. Then each month, January through December, those on the tea swap receive a "package" from the person signed up for that month with a different type of tea. Many also include a small tuck and perhaps a recipe and extra tea bag. It is a great way to try new types of teas.

Peggy - why oh why does it keep costing more? Gas prices are going down, so it doesn't cost as much to deliver it. So confusing :/ Yet I kinda figured worst case scenario I will use flat rate priority mail boxes, depending on what I end up doing! The small ones are $5 something I think. But I have a few months to save for the postage ;)

~ Shannon

Go to Top of Page

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2015 :  11:42:31 AM  Show Profile
Joyce - It's a knitted pattern I'm doing called the 10-Stitch. There's a crochet version of it also but I don't think I've seen it. It reminds me of the log cabin quilt block. I decided to do only one color instead of changing colors due to a very limited choice for yarn and not having time to order. What a wonderful image of your kids with the sled. I couldn't help but laugh.

The tea swap is something we've been doing for several years now. You join in December and only 12 are allowed as we each take one month. We exchange different teas with each other and frequently add in cute items. Peggy runs it - she's awesome!

Peggy - I noticed the price increase also when I mailed a bunch of books for the paperback swap. What I use to be able to mail for less than $3 is over that now for media rate.

Shannon - if you're not use to cold then yes you'll have to acclimate lol. I'd never experienced temps below -10 below until I moved here and experienced -59 without wind chill last year. It gives cold a whole new definition lol. So to us here 30' is equivalent to probably 50 or 60' elsewhere. It was 32' yesterday and I was outside in just a light sweater.

Today it's about 32' again and the whole place is a mud bog. Nasty. I really need to invest in some boots that can deal with the mud. Heather - any recommendations? I'd love to walk the furkids but just don't want to deal with the mud. The fog came in last night as the temps dropped. I was expecting frozen fog on the trees this morning but was disappointed not to see any. The day has just been gloomy and gray so far.

I bit the bullet and decided to try Kindle Unlimited. So many of the books I want to read are part of it and it would be cheaper to pay the monthly and read them then to buy them. We'll see if I like it after the 30 days. I'm reading 2 memoirs set in Alaska and they're making me miss our Cherime! Where or where is she?

Well back to work with me. Peggy we may need a posse for Cherime!

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
http://ndprairiegypsy.blogspot.com/
Etsy: PrairieGypsyCrafts
Jamestown, ND
Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2015 :  6:58:02 PM  Show Profile
Hello ladies,
It has been a beautiful few days here. Love this. Nice break from the cold. But the northern winds are picking up and winter is on the return. I just thought I would fly in for minute before bed.
STill don't have all my little butterflies back in my classroom yet. I hope they come back soon. Madame Butterfly here is missing them.

Peggy I look forward to the tea.

I got my sons' senior pictures back today. Oh this mama thinks they are handsome. Can't believe in few months they will graduate and head off to college. It will be the first time they have been apart. They have talked about that lately. Being twins they are close but I think it will be good for them to get a chance to fly on their own and see what God has in store for each of them. Ok, I am gonna cry if I keep talking here..love them so

well ladies I am off to read a bit and then bed. Morning comes early
love to you all,
Tammy

Tea is like being in the stars with God.

Visit my blog~Purple Skies
http://mypurpleskies.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2348 Posts

Houston Area Texas
2348 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2015 :  05:12:37 AM  Show Profile
Our Porch is magical because the fresh sourdough bread that Prairie Tammy left on the 27th is still warm. Delicious!

My "visitor" is here today and I'm always wiped out for almost 3 days. The pain is extreme, the depression leading up to the onset comes to a peak and I usually can't function mentally or physically. My doctor and I have opted to not medicate. I just plan my life around it. I've turned a negative into a productive time by setting aside this down time to doing handwork of some type....quilting, crocheting, sewing, painting, etc... So, today, I'm going to work on my 'crafty' tea tuck-ins.

Catherine
Sister #76 (2005)

Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2015 :  06:45:02 AM  Show Profile
Hello My Porchies...

This has been a busy busy busy week and still more busy to go!
Good to see so much Chit-Chat going on!!! I Love It When The Porch is Busy!!

Teacher Tammy...you must share a couple of those Senior Pictures with us. So, your boys are
going to separate Colleges huh? That will probably be both challenging for them and fun.
They will learn to be independent of each other to a degree...but separation will probably
be a challenge for twins. ~ I will be back to teaching Bible Study tonight. Still not totally
well but not contagious anyway.

Catherine...I had a Hysterectomy in my late 30's and I have to say that I never ever missed my
monthly visitor. Because like you...it was always so painful and difficult the first 2 or 3 days
that I just wanted it over with for good. And once I had the hysterectomy...I was the happiest
girl on the Planet. I could do the Monthly Happy Dance instead of gain and pain. LOL

Prairie Tammy...Oh your lettuce looks sooooooooooooo good!!! And I love your knitting project too.
I might just have to try that pattern sometime...I really like it. Bet it would look beautiful with
a variegated yarn also...then you wouldn't have to keep changing colors. I love your solid color too!! I was just knitting myself
a Cowl/Eternity Scarf on round needles...and some how I twisted the yarn. So, I was half way done,
now I get to rip it all out. I have not twisted knitting in the round for years...I thought I had
developed a Fail-safe for doing that...but I guess not. LOL

Shannon...saving for the postage was kind of what I was thinking too and why I mentioned it to everyone
because it cost me just under $40.oo to mail all the teas out. Postal Highway Robbery if you ask me.
Good thing gas prices have gone down...that has been a blessing...but food, mail delivery, and prescriptions still keep us all broke. I heard on the news last night that gas prices are going back up and
have already started in some places. Grrr! I new it wouldn't last! I saw a guy taking a picture of his total at the pumps yesterday...he
was so shocked how little it cost him to fill up his SUV. LoL

Joyce...I too loved the visual of your kids pulling each other and the cat over the frosted grass. LOL
It doesn't take much to get kids excited over anything that looks even close to snow.
I saw that Prairie Tammy gave you the answer you were looking for about the Tea Swap. Hopefully a few
of you newer gals can jump in on it next year. We got several new ones this year. It is always a
Fun little extra thing we do on The Porch besides eating virtual Food & Drink and sharing our lives.

Sabrina...I am curious what "Writing a Birth Plan" means??? Things have changed so much since I had
children...I am at a loss about some of the Newer Prodigal. We all are so excited for that little
bundle to make their debut...you will have to post some pictures.
I'm glad that your Farmgirl Chapter is going well...even if the Food Storage Covers were a bust...I bet
the fellowship and friendship aspect of your chapter is fun.

Someone was talking about homeschooling earlier (I think it was Catherine)...I never home-schooled my kids
but I had them in a Christian School for awhile when they were young and that did not work out well for
my three boys. But my youngest Son and DIL have been talking about home-schooling my Grandson when he is
old enough and I will get to teach him The Bible. Which I really look forward to that someday in the not
so distant future.

Joyce...I forgot to ask, how are the L M Montgomery Journals?? Is it just one journal or more? I have read all her books and think I would
be interested in reading her Journal too. Love her writing.

Judy...are you snoozing, lurking or did you go after some of our MIA's??? How did your blood test come out? Still chuckling over that one.

OK...back to bed for a few more hours of rest.

Here is a picture of me taken at the Salon the other day...when I had some color added in for a little SASS!
I take dumb pictures (have never been photogenic) and this one is no exception (and I still have that glazed
over look from being sick for 3 weeks...but focus on the hair not me. LOL It is Fun!! I just needed a
little pizzazz. It was either the hair or a new Tattoo. ROFLOL

Hugs and More Hugs,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Edited by - LadyInRed on Jan 29 2015 06:57:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
Schoolmarm

1411 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
1411 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2015 :  07:31:20 AM  Show Profile
Good morning! Peggy - the LM Montgomery journals are actually quite large. She started writing when she was about 12 or 13 I believe, and they are until her death. They didn't include every single little thing, but the majority is in the published journals. There are 5 or six quite thick journals. I find them very very insightful - it's a lot like learning history through every day life :) They can be quite heavy (her husband was severely depressed, in turn, she also struggled), but still very interesting. I always keep one of the journals on the go, and a lighter read as well so it doesn't get too overwhelming :)

Joyce Hein
Farmgirl Sister #6071
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2348 Posts

Houston Area Texas
2348 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2015 :  09:09:00 AM  Show Profile
Peggy, I absolutely LOVE your pizazz color in your hair. Not over done, not too understated. Just right!

Catherine
Sister #76 (2005)

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 669 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page