Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic
Page: of 669

MasterGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

Chandra
Louisiana
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2009 :  08:01:55 AM  Show Profile  Send MasterGardener a Yahoo! Message
I'll be right over with cajun brownies and some Community Coffee Dark Roast...I'm crocheting a dishcloth, ready to learn to knit...any knitters out there willing to give encouragement to a newbie????

.• ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.•´ .•´¨¨))
((¸¸.•´ ..• -:¦:- -:¦:- Chandra
-:¦:- ((¸¸.•´Farmgirl Sister #64

She considereth a field, and buyeth it; with the fruit of her hands she planteth a vineyard.
Proverbs 31:16
Go to Top of Page

MeadowCrone
True Blue Farmgirl

220 Posts

Bernadine
Island Park and Salem ID
USA
220 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2009 :  08:29:18 AM  Show Profile
What are Cajun Brownies? I'll be right over with some Hot Apple Cider and Shortbread. I'll bring some needles and cotton too and help you with that Chandra. My mother just crocheted me a new black shawl, for my birthday. It warms my shoulders.

Gratefully living on the "fat of the land".
Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2009 :  08:47:52 AM  Show Profile
Ooh, share! Chandra, me too! What are Cajun Brownies? And Dawn, you are definitely giving me the goosebumps! Got another story up your sleeve? We are LOVING them! Bernadine, that shawl is just beautiful! How perfect for porch sitting!

from the hearts of paradise...
Go to Top of Page

MasterGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

Chandra
Louisiana
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2009 :  08:56:32 AM  Show Profile  Send MasterGardener a Yahoo! Message
Cajun brownies are a two layer "cake" with yellow cake mix, cream cheese on the top, but it tastes like royal icing is in the top layer also...the country store where I found them won't tell me any more than that, but whenever I serve this @ a large function, I hear women asking each other who brought it and where'd "she" get it...it's divine! I just have to figure out how to duplicate the recipe.

She considereth a field, and buyeth it; with the fruit of her hands she planteth a vineyard.
Go to Top of Page

MasterGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

Chandra
Louisiana
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2009 :  09:26:04 AM  Show Profile  Send MasterGardener a Yahoo! Message
I am so intrigued and in awe of the skill involved in knitting sweaters and socks. I am determined to learn. Crochet is so comforting; knitting is much more of a challenge. I'm using Lion Brand cotton, which isn't right for knitting, but it's okay to practice with. I have the knit instructions from the cotton to knit a dishcloth, so that's my next project. I miss my grandmother's "knit" club, ( I only remember her crocheting, but the other ladies may have done knit) They'd come once a month. My grandma taught me how to embroider, but my attempts @ crochet were clumsey @ best, so I continued with the embroidery for years. Now, I've learned to crochet and LOVE it, but want to learn to knit a gorgeous sweater I've got a picture of. Inch by inch, life's a cinch...so, one new technique @ a time. Thanks for the knitting "pals" though!

Go to Top of Page

MasterGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

Chandra
Louisiana
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2009 :  12:22:19 PM  Show Profile  Send MasterGardener a Yahoo! Message
All right farmgirls, found a recipe...
Cajun Brownies
Makes: 24 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Ready In: 1 hour, 5 minutes
Cajun brownies are probably the easiest no fail brownie you can make. The topping added makes it a unique type of brownie.

Ingredients
1 box Yellow Cake Mix 3 eggs
1 stick butter melted 1 tsp vanilla extract
8 ounces cream cheese 1 box powdered sugar

Directions
Put the yellow cake mix in a bowl.

Melt the butter.Add the butter and one egg to the mix. Mix together until it looks like dough.

Spray a 9X13 pan with Pam cooking spray and spread the dough on the bottom.

Microwave the cream cheese until it is soft. In a separate bowl, add the cream cheese, 2 eggs, and the vanilla and mix with a mixer until smooth. Slowly add the powdered sugar and mix with the mixer until all lumps are removed. Pour the mixture over the dough and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

Cool and cut.

Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2009 :  1:17:21 PM  Show Profile
Welcome home to the 10 pounds I just lost. Because they're headed this way, just shortly after I try this recipe!!!!!!

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22896 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22896 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2009 :  8:13:23 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
rofl!!!!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Windsong
True Blue Farmgirl

309 Posts

LaVonna
Decatur Tx
309 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2009 :  11:53:08 PM  Show Profile
Girls, it was established early on that there are no calories in to goodies we bring to the porch. Remember it is a perfect world here.
LaVonna

Farmgirl Sister #758
www.windsongwellnessandtherapyshoppe.com
http://sadiesfarm.blogspot.com/
http://healthtalkcafe.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Windsong
True Blue Farmgirl

309 Posts

LaVonna
Decatur Tx
309 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2009 :  11:59:51 PM  Show Profile
Now I have looked over that brownie recipe. And I am not saying it would not be good to eat but....where is the chocolate?
And what makes it cajun? To me cajun means spicy and brownies mean CHOCOLATE.

I think I might have to have another one for the purpose of deciding.

Farmgirl Sister #758
Go to Top of Page

MasterGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

Chandra
Louisiana
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2009 :  09:31:56 AM  Show Profile  Send MasterGardener a Yahoo! Message
Farmgirls, I'm a transplant from Colorado to Louisiana...I've NO idea who named it "cajun" and brownies must just be a term used to describe the "blonde" chewy, gooey, yummy bar-type baked goods...I'll have to ask Suzi Dahlem if she knows. Susan's a native and might just have our answer. I've found that everything tastes a little better with a little Tony Chachere's, but....well, I don't know 'bout red pepper in a cajun brownie, but who knows...we might be on to something there!
emailed Suzan and she's not familiar with "cajun" as she's a native of North Louisiana...I didn't know there was a distinguishing factor, so I learned something there. NO worries, just come on and sit a while & enjoy those "blonde" morsels of unknown origin with us here on the porch!

Edited by - MasterGardener on Oct 14 2009 10:19:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

ZenGoddess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Cindy
MO
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2009 :  09:52:14 AM  Show Profile
Well... I would like to try them, haven't found anything bad on this porch yet !!

Welcome to the porch Miss Wilma I hadn't met you yet, its a pleasure, I stopped in to your blog the other day, my you are a busy bee ! I would love to be at one of your sales, love the atmosphere of Prims, Antique and lace. I used to make things for a country sale at the "Lodge". Do you ever need help making all that ??

Hugs,
ZenGoddess/Southernplum
My life goal is to Simply - Simplify my life.
http://herbalcottage.blogspot.com
http://herbalcottage.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

nabrown42
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Nancy
Caneyville KY
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2009 :  10:32:57 AM  Show Profile
What an awesome group of girl friends! No calorie food, ghost stories, needle arts shared...aren't our men folks jealous? We have a perfect world...and to think men say women can't get along. They never saw farm girls.

"I've wept in the night for the shortness of sight that to someone's needs I've been blind; but I've yet to feel a twinge of regret for being a little too kind."
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2009 :  5:26:37 PM  Show Profile
Oh, I got more stories. As most of my farmgirlfriends know, I'm a writer at heart. I love a good story! I will be busy/out of town the next few days but will try and post a few more "spooky" stories before Halloween!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD
~I'd rather be on my farm than Emperor of the World~George Washington
Go to Top of Page

22angel
True Blue Farmgirl

498 Posts

Pam
Manitoba
Canada
498 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2009 :  6:25:32 PM  Show Profile
Odd question...how much is a box of powdered sugar? And by powdered sugar, you mean icing sugar, right? I'm sure I read that somewhere...Up here in the north, we call it icing sugar & it comes in 1 kg or 2 kg bags, I think. I haven't bought it for a long time. Now I'm going to go get started on my sister's baby quilt so I can join you all....warmer down there than up here - we have snow today! Yay!!

Life isn't about finding yourself. It's about creating yourself.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22896 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22896 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2009 :  7:03:24 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
OKay my corner of the porch is officially the sick ward. (Hack hack, cough cough) I have something that is trying to be pnemonia. Anyone have some hot broth they could send my way?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Windsong
True Blue Farmgirl

309 Posts

LaVonna
Decatur Tx
309 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2009 :  10:25:06 PM  Show Profile
I am wondering just how many corners this porch has. It was nearly 80 today on my corner of the porch.
LaVonna

Farmgirl Sister #758
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22896 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22896 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2009 :  06:23:21 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
LaVonna- I like how your corner of the porch sounds! My corner only got up to about 53!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2009 :  07:44:21 AM  Show Profile
I think I would try the red pepper in a brownie. I've had Mexican chocolate before and that has red chiles in it and it's really good. the juxtopositon of hot and sweet is a no brainer to me. Definately give the hot pepper and brownies a shot on the steps over here!

And Alee, this is a perfect world here...no one gets sick, or gains weight nor do we have too little corners! It's a hexagon porch! LOL!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD
~I'd rather be on my farm than Emperor of the World~George Washington
Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2009 :  08:25:50 AM  Show Profile
Alee!!!!! Here's your hot broth, and some hot tea with lemon and honey in it? Want the Southern Belle's remedy added in it? I got some whiskey around here somewhere -- I can add a splosh to your tea! WHERE IS MISS WILMA????? I didn't know she was here. Miss Wilma, I am so honored that you could join us!!!! And LaVonna, Dawn is right! This porch as so many corners that it's unbelievable! I'm just so honored and thrilled that all y'all are here to visit. And, if someone doesn't mind, will y'all quit hogging those Cajun brownies and send the tray this way?

Go to Top of Page

MasterGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

Chandra
Louisiana
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2009 :  10:33:18 AM  Show Profile  Send MasterGardener a Yahoo! Message
Pam, I found this explanation online:

"Question:

My question always is when reading a recipe is what is the difference between confectioners sugar and powdered sugar. Why do all recipes call it the first and not the second?

Answers:

As you already know, confectioners' sugar and powdered sugar are the same thing - there is no difference. I believe it is a regional thing on which term is used in recipes.

In the northwest, where I live, we call it powdered sugar and use that term in our recipes. I noticed that most of the southern cookbooks call it confectioners' sugar. In Canada and England, it is called icing sugar."

Go to Top of Page

22angel
True Blue Farmgirl

498 Posts

Pam
Manitoba
Canada
498 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2009 :  4:10:41 PM  Show Profile
That's what I thought - I just wanted to clarify. Thanks Chandra :).

Life isn't about finding yourself. It's about creating yourself.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9205 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9205 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2009 :  6:12:15 PM  Show Profile
Ooh boy the wind is blowing tonight and picking up some rain with it. I got my sweater but have you got a campfire near this porch that I can sit near?? I think I need a cuppa hot tea. be right back.

God is good....all the time.
Denise
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

nabrown42
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Nancy
Caneyville KY
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2009 :  6:41:05 PM  Show Profile
It's only 36 on my end of the porch. Skootch over, gals, and let's have some hot cider or cocoa to warm us. It's going to be a cold night. Throw another log on that fire, please.

"I've wept in the night for the shortness of sight that to someone's needs I've been blind; but I've yet to feel a twinge of regret for being a little too kind."
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22896 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22896 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2009 :  7:54:18 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
It's 55 degrees at my corner of the porch but it's also the sick ward so you might not want to schooch too close to me! I have decided I really hate being sick! Ugh!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 669 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page