Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic
Page: of 669

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2016 :  3:39:44 PM  Show Profile
Hi Gals, So much going on with all of you. From quiet to busy in 2 shakes of a lambs tail. Lol
Patsy went to her FIL, BIL & SIL's place last Friday to spend a week with them, so it's sure quiet round here again.
Went to church again yesterday and to another home for lunch. We talked for 1 1/2 hours around the table, learning about each other. It's nice to learn about each other. Then they had a 6PM service, so I went again. They only do that once a month. I forgot my reading glasses, so that made it interesting. Staring at my Bible, not really seeing it was fun. Hahaha I told some of the ladies about that afterward and about how a young feller that morning had asked me if I wanted to sit with his family, since I was alone, and seated my right beside his dad, then sat behind me... and I was so close to his dad that I was embarrassed and kept 'bunny-hopping' my hiney down the pew every couple of minutes to put proper distance between us ... and they just hooted & giggled like I was the funniest person they've ever met. But then I do have a way with words... so Miss Peggy tells me. Hahaha I think they like me there.
Poor Peg, you sure do things in a BIG way don't you?... then wear yourself out. Crazy gal! Pace yourself. There's no reason to do all that in a day. That reminds me of part of the sermon yesterday. The Bishop said, "If Jesus made the earth in 6 days... and it's been a couple thousand years that He's been 'gone to prepare a place for us and will come again for us'.... and we think there are some pretty places on earth to see... can you imagine how Beautiful Heaven is going to be with all the time He's had to work on it? It's going to be fabulous!!!
I thought that was pretty interesting. Never thought about it before.hmmm...
So glad to hear that those of you with 'boo-boo's' are getting better. How's Larry doing, Peg?
Well, our heat finally broke. We are having low 80's this week... but still humid. It's been raining every day since last Wednesday too... and will rain a couple more days. We need it! Hurry up Fall! Lol

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
FGOTM:Jan.2012
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
"Hey...Don't Make Me Put My Hands On My Hips!"
"Give a weed an inch and it'll take a yard!"

Edited by - herblady55 on Aug 15 2016 3:43:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

rachelbee
True Blue Farmgirl

207 Posts

Rachel
Carmel IN
USA
207 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2016 :  06:51:57 AM  Show Profile
Well we're having a stormy week here, and it's been killing my plants. My formerly large and fluffy hyssop has fallen and is crushing all the plants under it. I don't want to trim it back because the bees are still loving on it, but I need it off my mums.
My tomato plants have also been battered, but that's nothing to my poor squash. One of my dog wears an electric collar because he jumps the fence and annoys the neighbors, and we have the line run in front of my garden so he doesn't get in it. Well, the battery died, and he didn't realize he could escape our yard but he did realize he could get in the garden! The best thing I had going this year was my big spaghetti squash, which was almost orange and ready to eat. Well, the dog agreed, and ate the whole blasted thing. There's a sliver of the rind and a few seeds sitting next to the plant. I guess that's what I get- I've cooked them squash in the past because they absolutely love it and my very food-allergic dog can have it- I didn't realize they'd eat it off the vine!
I've already lost 3 tomato and one pepper plant to the dogs. This might be my last gardening year for a while. Breaks my heart but so does having my plants trashed.

Rachel, #6992
Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2016 :  08:26:50 AM  Show Profile
Shannon-oh my goodness what a day!!! Yes I do things that I enjoy with the kids around. And yes I agree that adding outside things is what usually causes the most stress and throws off our balance. I'm still trying to figure out what is reasonable to try to do and what isn't but as I get stuff off my plate I know I won't commit to anything else until fall 2017 at the soonest. And I will be judicious about that. I will likely still have a leadership role in our homeschool program but probably won't do much else for a while. I actually got to go on a date with hubby a couple weeks ago for our anniversary. A friend came over and watched my kids and we went out just for an hour or so and had dinner. It was nice-but it has also been a year since we had gone out alone. We try to get the kids in bed at a decent time and have some time together at home on a regular basis-lately that hasn't been as often as we like because we have both been busy but there is no way we could go OUT on a date weekly, or even monthly.

Peggy-yes I think it is ridiculous that they do so many ultrasounds. My experience in the US is that they did two unless they needed to do another for some reason. However I'm hearing from friends that some doctors are starting to do them a lot more often. I know here the doctors don't seem to know what else to do with you if they don't do an u/s. They never measure fundal height or listen to the heartbeat without the u/s. It is a little odd. Most women LOVE getting them all the time though so the doctors are really confused by me refusing them. I just am not convinced there has been enough studies on their safety when used that often.

I don't remember if I said in my last post that I have a midwife lined up in Kansas to do a homebirth for us. I'm pretty excited about that, I was nervous for a while that I wouldn't be able to get one. Now it is just a matter of getting a house before the baby comes. I have contacted one realtor but I may be looking for a different one. I told her what we were looking for and that the MOST important requirement was that it have a few acres. Two minimum but more would be better. Her first comment was that it would be hard to find because they sell quickly. Then she sent me 81 listings only 3 of them had 2 or more acres......ummmm no. I told her very clearly we would not buy anything with less than an acre and really 1 wasn't enough and that we absolutely would not look at any house in a regular neighborhood, an HOA or in any area with any restriction on livestock or agriculture. Apparently she didn't get it. I'm not in a huge rush but I would like to be keeping an eye on the market. We don't really want to buy a house without seeing it but if something really amazing came up we would consider it. BUT that would require having a realtor wiling to go out and do videos and other things for us so we could be sure it is what we want. I'm not getting that vibe from this lady. I think she is sort of blowing me off because she sees it as a long time before we get there. But it really isn't that long!!

My side is feeling better today. Not perfect but better than yesterday but I'm super exhausted. I got the VBS stuff organized and packed up to go into storage. Tomorrow I have parent orientation for our homeschool program. I think I'm going to cancel everything thursday and friday and just try to rest.

Sabrina

Farmgirl Sister #3275
February 2016 Farmgirl of the Month
http://kidscrunchandchrist.com

Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2016 :  12:19:16 PM  Show Profile
Good Morning My Porchies...And Welcome To The Porch Rachel!!!

Got my walk in early this morning and it was nice and cool out there...so I didn't
sweat my fool head off today. Yay, I hate to sweat. Met a Neighbor in the middle of
my walk and of course she wanted to stand and chat. She is very introverted and so
I decided if she wanted to talk she probably had something she needed to get off her
chest and she did. She is a Nurses Assistant and she has been caring for a Woman for
7 years that was one of the last Holocaust Survivors...and the woman just passed away.
And Emelia was grieving over the loss of this very special woman. So, we stood there
and chatted for 15 minutes and then I gave her a big hug and went on my way. I love
how God interrupts our plans with His own Agenda. When Emelia was sharing about the
loss of this friend and patient she said that she knew she was a Christian and that
the woman had professed that but she said, "When people die in Christ they have such
a peaceful sweet look on their faces when they pass but if they aren't Christians the
looks on their faces are usually very different...many look even tormented." I knew
what she meant because I have seen the difference too. She said that she could even
feel the presence of Angels in the room. She said, "I know you can't say that to just
anybody or they think you are nuts but I could feel them there." I loved hearing that
story from here. So, she needed a listening ear and we both walked away blessed for the
sharing.

Judy...you know me well girl. With Fibro though you have to "DO" when the mind, spirit,
and body all come together and you feel up to getting something done all at the same time. LOL So you give it all you've got...even knowing you will be paying for it with a couple down days. But it is just what it is and you learn to live within those parameters. Glad you had
another delightful time with your new Mennonite friends. I just bought a fiction story about
a Mennonite Girl. I will let you know if it's any good when I finish it. You also cracked me
up about doing the butt scoot down the pew so as not to sit so closely to the Mennonite man. I
could so see you trying to be discreet and yet with each scoot drawing more & mofe attention to
yourself. I laughed out loud!! ROFLOL Leave it to Judy!! Tee Hee!

Rachel...even though you probably didn't think losing your beautiful produce to the dogs was
funny...it really did make me chuckle too. I could just see the dog looking like..."What? You
feed it to me so I thought it was alright!" LOL You might be right though, perhaps a garden with dogs is counter-productive.

Sabrina...that must be hard trying to get your wishes across to a Realtor who doesn't seem to
get what you want. Long distance must be a frustrating experience trying to get her on the
same page as you. Good Luck! Praying it all works out in the end and you get that place with
some acreage. Also glad to hear your side is feeling better. Do you think it's just round ligament pain? I had that a lot with my last pregnancy.

Ok...off for my Vacation tomorrow. Will be on and off the grid. But will have my iPad with me
to check in once in awhile. I can never totally get away from my Techno Toys. LOL

Hugs and Blessings,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
Dec 2011-Farmgirl of the Month
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

Don't allow others to steal the Glitz from your *SPARKLE*

Life is too short to knit with ugly yarn!

Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch
Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2016 :  6:14:56 PM  Show Profile
Good evening ladies,
Madame Butterfly here...at the first day of school with a very interesting class of butterflies. I am quite sure I am in for an interesting year. But oh I look forward to it. I have 20 this year and then I have 27 fifth and sixth graders each day for 45 minutes to teach reading and writing to them while my class goes to computer. I will not be bored lol

This week my twins go back to college. It will be a quieter house. Not totally quiet with two dogs. May I just say the golden retriever Tucker should have been named Trouble. My goodness that dog's curiosity gets the best of him.

Went to bible study last night as we began up again now that fair is over. We are doing Beth Moore's Believing God. I have done it very long time ago and I am glad to be doing it again. It was great to see everyone last night.

well ladies my dryer is buzzing and I am off to rest my wings for tomorrow our first full day of class.
love and blessings,
Tammy

Tea is like being in the stars with God.

Visit my blog~Purple Skies
http://mypurpleskies.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2016 :  05:43:57 AM  Show Profile
Peggy-it is frustrating that it seems like she completely blew off the thing that I was adamant was our BIGGEST and non-negotiable requirement. And it was the first thing she said to us. I am taking some time to decide if I'm just going to find a different realtor or if I am going to set up a phone chat with her to try to get on the same page and give her another chance. We found one farm we really like the looks of online. Dustin thinks we should put an offer on it unseen (after having more pics/video taken, possibly having a friend go look, getting a good home inspection etc) but it makes me a little nervous. On the other hand it is a really great looking opportunity. It is a little far from the base but 14 acres of pasture, 100 year old farmhouse but with many upgrades and improvements. Beautiful red bard in great shape, plus two other barns and a workshop and fenced and cross fenced. And two acres of it is hay field. So we are praying about that. Not quite ready to apply for financing so have a couple weeks to decide. It has been on the market 5 months so hopefully it waits a little longer.

Tammy-I hope you have a great year. I'm sure it takes a couple weeks for everyone to get in a routine and adjust, especially the little ones!

Well we got great news today! The curtailment (so that we can leave early) got approved. They put it for a couple weeks later than we hoped but I'm just happy it got approved at this point!! Now we have to get his new report date. Hopefully he puts it sooner rather than later (they can put it up to 60 days after our "leave by" date, we can leave up to 60 days before the report date....so if the report date is Feb 1 we can leave Dec 1 but not before but if it is Jan 1 we could leave Nov 1). Since they made our leave by date Dec 1 if we can't leave before that it is going to make getting in a house before baby difficult but if we can leave earlier it should be fine. Anyway overall good news. I expect to know more specifics soon (hopefully the guy making the assignment is in his office and responds soon).

I ordered some pregnancy tea and decided to get a new tea ball too since mine is pretty wore out. Ended up being a set of 4 of them (all the same) and they are SO CUTE!!! Thought y'all would enjoy. I love interesting tea balls!

Sabrina

Farmgirl Sister #3275

Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2016 :  09:26:57 AM  Show Profile
Oh ...I don't like hearing that the kiddos are going back to school already.
We are having nice weather finally. Low 80's with very little humidity. Maybe I can get some yard work done now.
The birds are really enjoying the cooler temps. Singing, singing, singing!
I have that same tea-ball Sabrina, It was my Mama's. I collect them and made a kitchen wind-chime out of them.(just a bunch of them hanging together)Ca-ute & kitch-eny!
Well, I'd better go hang my laundry outside. First time for THAT in awhile. It was waaaay to humid and wouldn't dry.
TTFN!

Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2016 :  01:46:32 AM  Show Profile
Well after some digging it looks like we can't leave more than 3 days before Dec 1st no matter what his report date ends up being. So I think what we are going to end up having to do is potentially buy a house without seeing it or just plan to rent while looking since we really need to be in with time to unpack before baby arrives. I decided to ask the realtor for a phone chat, then I can get a better idea of if she is going to be a good fit for us and go from there. Then in a few weeks I will compile a list of what I'm interested in, have her get more info on all of them, go out and take more pics and maybe ask her if she can take some videos on her phone for us. Once we have done all that and narrowed down our top choices we will see if Dustin's dad or one of our brothers are willing to go out there and take a look for us as well. Then if we feel really really confident about one place we will put an offer. We will of course do due diligence and have an inspection, survey and anything else we can do to make sure we are making a good investment.

Hubby decided the farm house he said he liked isn't his top choice anymore. He thinks 14 acres is going to be too much for me to manage and it is a little farther from his work than we want to be (doable but will get old). I am not sure I agree that it is too much land. 3 or 4 acres will certainly be enough for what I want to do the first few years but I think eventually I will want/need a little more to expand. There is another house in the same general area that has 4 acres, also an old farmhouse that has been well maintained and updated. The house looks better but doesn't have the awesome barn. It is also closer to the base. There are a couple others that would also be options but those are the two that look best right now. Now I'm just afraid they will all sell before we can buy one!! Then again maybe something better will come up.

I am finally getting a down day!! YAY! I need it. I need to clean my floors today but we will see if that happens. This weekend I'm planning to go through all the kids clothes and toys and organize and purge. We are talking about boxing all the kids toys up for a while since they have been giving me a really hard time about cleaning up but I have to find some boxes. I also hope to go through my clothes and switch out my regular wardrobe with my maternity wardrobe. My regular clothes aren't fitting and I keep having to dig through bins to find something to wear. Luckily for once I don't have any other commitments and hubby is off too so hopefully we have a productive weekend.

Yesterday I met with the lady the chapel hired to head up all the religious education programs and filled her in on what I had been doing so I've officially turned those responsibilities over to someone else. That feels good.

Judy-the wind chime sounds cute! What a great use of them. I remember my grandma having a couple of cute tea balls. This one is new so no fun history but I like it. The one I had before was hard to stuff and leaked so I had lots of leaves in my tea all the time. This one seems to work much better.

Sabrina

Farmgirl Sister #3275

Go to Top of Page

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2016 :  4:32:06 PM  Show Profile
Heather - I got my tea packet today. Thank you! I love the tucks!

It's been a cloudy, stormy week here, which has matched my mood. I'm loving the drops in temp though. Last night it got down into the 40's!!! Wonderful sleeping weather. I sat outside after I got home about 10:30 with the dogs and sipped on some Chocolate Mint Truffle hot chocolate. Would have been awesome to have a fire but I wouldn't have been able to enjoy it for long if I could have one.

It's with a grieving heart I share that I had to put my beloved Tip down. His heart gave out on him and he kept going into and out of a coma state. After over 24 hours of him being in this condition I made the call. I had him cremated and his ashes are back with me. He would have been 15 next month. Unfortunately I'm going to have to put Oreo down this coming week. In the past 3 weeks since she's lost what little eye sight she had, she's plunged into dementia/Alzheimer's and her quality of life has gone. I spoke with the vet Wednesday when I picked up Tip's ashes and since the xanax for anxiety is not helping there's nothing further we can really do at this point. She would have been 18 in October. I'll probably do it Wednesday night so please keep me in prayer. It's just ripping me apart to lose both of them so close together. Hopefully Lacey will stay healthy for a while.

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
http://ndprairiegypsy.blogspot.com/
Prairie Critter Pet Sitter
Jamestown, ND
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2016 :  5:36:26 PM  Show Profile
Prairie Tammy...I am so heart broken for you!!! Been there done that and it would be even
harder with dogs that have lived so long. My dogs were both under 10 yrs when I had to have
them put down. I remember your kind words and comfort to me at those times. It really was
my Porchies that helped me so much with your stories and comforting words. It helps to have
others that have been there and knows the hurt of the loss of our fur-babies. I will continue
to pray for you.

Sabrina...your kids are so cute. Loved seeing the picture of them on FB. Glad that some of
you Military Situations have been resolved. I bet you are packing, packing, packing...don't forget to purge too. You will be glad that you did! LOL

Teacher Tammy...I still can't believe you are doing school already. The kids here may not start
school next Wednesday because Teachers are going to be striking...it looks like. The Contract Negotiations have been going on for almost a month and nothing is happening on a positive note.
I totally support the Teachers. I know many of them.

Well, I have been off The Porch most of the week because of the Heat and a very bad Bladder
Infection that shut down my ability to pee. I went to Urgency Care today and was happy that
they didn't have to catheterize me. I am on 7 days of antibiotics and increased fluids. I
had backed off my water consumption during vacation because the water in Leavenworth was horrid.
And it isn't a whole lot better here...but I do have a Britta I use. But it is like any old habit...it is easy to fall off and go back to your old ways. I also added Cranberry Juice but
have to be careful with the sugar in the juice. ~ ALL this week I have been walking at 7:00 pm in 90 degree weather. It has been awful and tonight I just refuse to put my body through that
one more time. Walking in that kind of heat for 5 miles takes a toll on the body and spirit.
I feel like a melted ice-cream cone dripping, dripping, dripping and sticky and gross!
Plus having this bladder infection doesn't make it comfortable either as I have back pain with
it. I also have a migraine from the heat. I Know...whine, whine, whine! I'm staying home in my A/C. But this weekend the weather is suppose to go down to the 80's. Yahoo!!!

Hope everyone else is doing well. And enjoying the Lazy Days of Summer!

Tomorrow I will be going to a Wine and Painting Day (2 hours) with my sons MIL. It was a
Mother's Day Gift to both Patti and Myself. Should be fun!!! I'm looking forward to it.
I will post a picture...if it looks like anything when I'm done with it. LOL

Hugs and Blessings,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Edited by - LadyInRed on Aug 26 2016 5:44:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2016 :  07:53:51 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Thank you Heather for the monthly teas. I love the cupcake potholder and the recipe booklet you added. It is great tasting newer teas each month. Thanks, all.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month August 2015
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2016 :  9:29:08 PM  Show Profile
Hi all, It sure has been hot ...again! We went on a pontoon boat ride Monday and a short train ride Wednesday. The longer one was sold out. We enjoyed it all the same. Patsy really enjoyed it, being her first train ride in years.
Peg, so sorry to hear about your troubles Buddy! Hope the weather does cool off for you. THAT alone makes one feel better... when you absolutely don't!! Go away bladder troubles too!!
P-Tammy, I'm soooooo sorry to hear about your sweet 'fur-babies!' THAT's so sad! Like Peg said, Porches got us both thru losing our beloved pets. Mine was a 9 1/2 year old Dutch bunny named Kizzy. He was my best friend for so long. These gals really held me up in Prayer! I was so grateful for them!
Heather, I got my tea package too. Loved the tuck-ins. I think Constant Comment tea has been a favorite for all of us in all the years we've done this swap! Loved the special homemade card too! Thank you!
We are trying another church tomorrow. I love the idea of having a church list from the newspaper and trying a new one each week. Quite interesting, I must say!
Good-night Porch-Buds!

Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!

Edited by - herblady55 on Aug 27 2016 9:31:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2016 :  10:19:50 AM  Show Profile
Heather, I received your tea pkg! I loved all of it! Your little note card is adorable! Yes, I love Constant Comment too! I can remember when it first came out. (tsk..tsk..how young am I now?) Pretty soon we were all making it"Friendship Tea" with Tang...and, of course, the other tea (I won't mention for those who haven't received their's yet) I should be drinking by the 5 gal. bucket. I also, enjoyed the recipes...Go dairy farmers! DH and I both love the potholder! (He wants me to try to make them.) Thank you for everything!

PGTammy, I am so sorry to hear about your dear pets. I will pray that you get through this as easily as possible. I guess I believe in that "Rainbow Bridge". So, before you know it, your sweet pets will be well and playing together.

Judy, glad to hear you and Patsy are having fun together!

Peggy, oh my! It's hard to remember to drink all the water we need. I was feeling that bladder infection the last few days too. Depression does make me forget. Luckily, I remembered before it got as bad as yours..Now, I am drinking, drinking, drinking. Also, I should know better than eating so much sugar. So, for now, I am off the sweets.

Well, we made it through my niece's bridal shower. So lovely! Thanks to Fibro it took me all week to recover. It was so much fun to host it though. DH and I will also be one of the Host couples. So, in a couple of weeks we will be busy bees. The wedding will be in the same church we grew up with. Reception will be in the Music Man Square. This is the hometown of Meredith Willson who wrote "The Music Man" and the song/music for "76 Trombones"! So, the center even has a street scape after that musical, a soda fountain and Mrs. Paroo's music studio...too many things to mention here. The wedding party will be staying at the last remaining hotel in the world designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. Sounds like so much fun! Once that wedding is under our belts, DH's sis and BIL will be here from Tampa, FL area. We will all travel up to Duluth, MN to help them "cool off". I am so looking forward to that! Then, another wedding in Oct. for a nephew. He and fiance actually live in W. Virginia. His parents are from Iowa. They will have a reception in Milwaukee, WI (He is a young brew master- go figure) so more family can attend.

Rachel, I have lost almost all of my garden to either drench or drought..no in-between. We will have about 4 peppers and 3 beets. The herbs aren't doing too badly. I can manage them better in pots by the deck. Otherwise, our garden has gone the way of raccoons, rabbits, deer and even wild turkey...oh, and of course, birds. Crazy year for gardens. Yay, Farmer Markets!

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2016 :  11:50:39 AM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
PGTammy, my heart just breaks for you. Been there myself. The last one was 12/14. It was the last time my husband and I could do it. Therefore we no longer have a dog in our house in 48 years. I still cry at times and I still have Jackie's toys and blankets. Every time I think I'll get rid of them, I don't. You will make your own way and what ever it is for you, is right. Know I pray and cry right along side you. Tip is beautiful. I have my Jackie's ashes also. Some people think we're crazy but they did not know the love and loyalty of our fur baby! Peace and comfort sister.

Now I get on my soapbox. Listen up! Bladder infections are dangerous. Especially for we older sisters. If not addressed and treated it can cause you to become septic and possibly die. Don't ever ignore the symptoms. As a precaution instead of drinking cranberry juice, take the pills. Cranberries don't cure an infection but they don't allow the bacteria to adhere to the bladder wall. Blueberries as well. I have a friend that was in healthcare and worked with me that was treating a bladder infection and became sicker. She went to the hospital. She was septic and died. Did I scare anyone? No one wants to here this but the facts are the facts.I worked for a urologist, had 9.5 hours of bladder surgery, many bladder infections and bad bladder complications from chemo. Go to WebMd and look up bladder infections and sepsis. Be safe and proactive about your health.

Peggy, I hope you are feeling better.

Judy, how nice to be going to a new church weekly. What better way to find the right one. You'll know when you find it. The Holy Spirit won't let you out!

Love to all!

Be Blessed and Be a Blessing,
Darlene
Sister 1922

God first, everything else after!

When Satan's knocking at your door, just say "Jesus will you get that for me?"

When it gets to hard to stand, Kneel!

Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2016 :  07:23:16 AM  Show Profile
So sorry about your dogs Tammy. That is so hard.

Peggy-we actually don't do the packing. The movers don't like it when you pack yourself and half the time they insist on repacking it. I will be purging and organizing and I have some things in plastic bins I will be organizing and hoping they leave alone. The problem with them repacking is they don't do a very good job-at least that has been our experience. I've had all sorts of things messed up because of horrible packing when if they had left it the way I did it it wouldn't have been messed up. Oh well. They are coming to get the majority of our stuff Oct 20th. Then we have a smaller shipment that goes faster leaving Nov 15th. Our car gets shipped Nov 10th. So I have a little time to get everything in order. The biggest task is sorting what we are going to get rid of, what goes in the main shipment, what goes in the smaller shipment and what goes in suitcases. I'm trying to keep suitcases minimal.

The new realtor I found is amazing. She is going to preview properties for us on Wednesday I think. It looks like we may be buying before we get there and having my parents go look a bit for us because we won't have enough time if we wait until we arrive. That is a little stressful but I feel like this realtor is trustworthy and understands what we want and we will get all sorts of inspections. I'm just praying that all goes ok. I got CC started so the bulk of that is done and I have passed on most of my other responsibilities. We started our school schedule again last week so it has been a bit crazy and busy here but the kids are getting into a routine. I'm planning their birthdays now, hoping to finish up a few other tasks in the next couple weeks then it is all about getting the house ready to move!

Sabrina

Farmgirl Sister #3275

Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2016 :  11:06:42 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning My Porchies...

What a Weekend! I was on the go the entire time or else asleep in my chair trying to get my back
to quit hurting from the UTI. Darlene Ricotta I am faithfully taking my pills for the Infection.
I am allergic to the two main Antibiotics so they gave me something I have never had before and I
have to take it for 7 days. I have had no reaction to it which is good. I am so drug sensitive that
it gets frustrating having to try different meds but this is a good one for me. And then Tylenol for
the back pain. ~ It was Patti and My Paint Nite Party on Saturday and let me tell you we had FUN!
If you ever have a chance to go to one with a girlfriend, sister, hubby or whoever...DO IT! As soon
as I transfer over my pictures I will post them. I learned one thing...I did not inherit my Mother's
Artistic Abilities. I can't paint a straight line any better than I can draw one. I swear I can use
a ruler and still make a straight line curvy. LOL But the painting isn't so bad I would throw it away.
It is the first picture I have ever painted...I'm sort of proud of it...even if I think my 3 year old
Grandson could do better. I hung it up in my bedroom to finish drying and every time I looked at it
I sort of liked it more...so finally I brought it out and I was going to hang it over the Dining Room
Table, so I did and then stood back and looked at it and took it down and put it back in my bed room.
LOL Patti and I decided we had so much fun we would do it again sometime in the FUTURE. Her birthday is
Today but we through a surprise B-day Party for her yesterday at her favorite Restaurant. We had invited
20 people but only had 10 show...but we had a great time. She just turned 60 today! My son went out and
did the shopping for it, got the cake, balloons etc and he took Elijah (the 3 yr. old with him) so when
he took Elijah back home on the way he is explaining that Grandma Patti's B-day Party is a Surprise so
if she asked where they had been just say they had gone to Daddy's Office. Elijah said, "Then where did we
go?" Shane said, "No Where just tell her we were at Daddy's Office." Elijah says, "Daddy, why don't you do
all the talking and I'll just shake my head?" LOL Then when they get to the Surprise Party Patty said, "Now
I get what was going on with Elijah...I asked him a question and he didn't answer me. So, I asked him
again and he said, "Daddy said I couldn't talk to you." and he went back to playing his game. LOL The kid is
a Hoot. ~ My husband still doesn't feel like being around people so he stayed home but he missed out on all
the Family Fun. I also watched Elijah and Savannah Saturday Night while Shane and Sadie took Patti out to
dinner to kind of throw her off about the Party The Next Day.

Heather... I haven't gotten my Tea Pkg yet but maybe today. I wish people would discreetly thank each gal...so those
of us who are the last to get our packages wouldn't already know what we were getting. *little reminder...hint-hint*
For the most part you gals are great about it but sometimes in your excitement you forget.

Judy...Well, what Church did you visit yesterday? Was it another Mennonite Group? The Pontoon Boat
ride and the Train Ride sounded like a lot of fun! How is your hubby feeling...all better? Is
Patsy still with you? ~ From your lips to God's ear...our weather turned cooler this week. This
morning when I went for my walk at 8 it was a nice cool morning. Perfect walking weather. It was
hard to get back into it after being off of my routine all weekend. But 90 weather is not fun to
walk 5 miles in and even more so when your back hurts and you are pushing a dog stroller. LOL
This week it is suppose to be in the low to mid 80's and 4 straight days of rain...which will be
a relief.

Judith...does eating too much sugar really give people bladder infections??? I never knew that.
The Bridal Shower sounded lovely! And I can relate to the Fibro causing you to need a week to
re-cooperate. I do the same thing...but it is worth it! The Weddings will be fun...especially with
The Music Man Venue...how cool is that? You will have to share some pictures for sure!

Darlene...it is so good to have you back on The Porch!!! Like I said...I am faithfully taking the
pills for the UTI. And wow...I never knew you could die from an untreated bladder infection. Thanks
for sharing about that. And sorry that you lost your friend that way. So tragic! How was your summer?

Sabrina...Oh, right...I forgot moving companies like to pack you themselves. I remember hearing some horror stories about that very thing. Well, hopefully you will have one that does a good job for you.
Also glad to hear that you found a Realtor that you feel is working for you and that you can trust.
And with your parents able to check out anything she finds will be very helpful too.

OK girlies...I'm on to finish up my MJF Morning Posts and then head to FB and then I will be ready
for a little nap. Hope you all have a Great Day!!!

Love and Hugs,
Peg

Farmgirl #1326

Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2016 :  11:33:17 AM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Peggy, you are so lucky to have the relationship you have with your son and family and that they live near you. I give you credit for going even if hubby doesn't.I am also highly allergic to meds. I never like to try new ones. I ended up in the ER for severe reactions from cosmetics also. I always have liquid Benadryl in the house as well as an epicenter. Stay well and feel better.

Darlene
Sister 1922

Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2016 :  11:35:58 AM  Show Profile
Peggy, I have no idea if sugar helps to bring on bladder infection. I do know that when I start eating too many sweets or processed sugars...my body feels weird and yells...Back Off!

Sorry about spilling the beans re tea pkg. But, I wasn't the first, really! (The frown is not for you; but, for me...for forgetting again. Well maybe, the tuck was a sock...yeah..that's the ticket, and it was shaped like Texas..yeah..that's my story and I'm sticking to it~

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon

Edited by - forgetmenot on Aug 29 2016 3:04:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2016 :  9:01:49 PM  Show Profile
Judith...wasn't talking about one person per say...just a reminder for everyone! LOL
Oh, I thought you meant sugar can cause UTI's and that was a new one to me...but I hear
you on the Yuck Symptoms! Too much sugar and I am causing serious Inflammation and my
Diabetes lets me know it is still there.

Heather...I got my Package today! Oh, girl you out did yourself! That was one package
of C.U.T.E.N.E.S.S. from Start to Finish!!! Thank you, Thank you, Thank You!!!s

More Tomorrow.

Nighty Night,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2016 :  01:50:37 AM  Show Profile
Peggy-I LOVE the paint parties! There have some here on post but I haven't been able to make it to one here. I was registered for one once when Dustin was going to be home to watch the kids but it got cancelled :(. Since then I haven't been able to make one. I hope where we are moving has some!! Yes the movers prefer to pack themselves. Honestly I wish they would just bring boxes and let me pack everything I really dislike the way they pack. Nothing ever seems to come out organized and things are often not packed well. Coming over here I had several figurines that were just thrown in a box so they all got chipped and broken. They aren't really sentimental except for that Dustin sent me one every few months while he was deployed but the company doesn't make them anymore so they can't really be replaced. I've also had craft supplies dumped out of the containers they were in into boxes where everything got jumbled and mixed together. I opened one box and seed beads went EVERYWHERE. I ended up just having to give up and vacuum them up there was not way to pick them all up or re-sort all the colors. I hope this is our last move but if not next time I want to use one of those companies where you pack and they just drive the truck for you. We will have to do it as a do it yourself move and get reimbursed but will probably make money doing it that way and then at least things will be packed the way I want them!!

Well I woke up in the middle of the night with a raging sore throat so I'm just going to have the kids do a light school day and rest here in my chair. Maybe even take a nap when the baby does. We were supposed to have a playdate today but I'm canceling just in case I have something contagious. My good friend and her kids have had similar symptoms so I think it may be a virus going around and I don't want to get anyone sick. Plus we have CC tomorrow and I need to get better for that. Luckily so far no kids seem to have any symptoms. I need to make some elderberry syrup if I find some energy I may do that a little while later.

We got our mortgage pre-approval so things are well on their way with the house. It feels like it is getting real. I also touched base with the Operation Christmas Child team in the area. Before moving here I was a year-round-volunteer for them and absolutely loved it. I hope to get back into it once things settle down in the spring. We might go get our plane tickets at the end of this week, it depends on if Dustin has time to go do it and if they get the November schedule, otherwise it will be sometime next week.

Oh and just some interesting info about sugar and UTIs, while sugar wouldn't cause a UTI by itself bacteria feed on sugar so it would certainly contribute. If you happen to have the bacteria and your body might otherwise be able to fight it off without actually causing a full blown infection but too much sugar could throw off the balance and allow the bacteria to get too strong/grow too much. So it definitely could be a contributing factor. I think the cranberry juice sort of offsets its own sugar content but I haven't really studied why that works so I'm not sure. So yes if you have one or thing you might be getting one avoid sugar as much as possible until you are sure it is gone. It is also good to avoid sugar for awhile after taking antibiotics because they kill the good and bad bacteria and sugar will encourage the bad bacteria to grow faster than the good causing a repeat infection or a different infection. Probiotics help offset that too. :) Hope that is useful info from my non-medical-professional perspective. Just things I learned in my own quest for health!

Sabrina

Farmgirl Sister #3275

Go to Top of Page

beekeepersgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2016 :  04:11:03 AM  Show Profile
Just a quick check-in to let Heather know I received the tea packet and loved it - thank you! It's our busy time here in PA between the garden and all of the events we are committed to helping with, so just know I'm thinking of everyone and will be more of a "regular" after September!

Hugs,
Luanne

beekeepersgirl #691

Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.

My blog: finallyafarmgirl.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2016 :  06:19:22 AM  Show Profile
Sabrina...I started Pro-biotics (PB8) a couple of months ago as I have always
suffered from Irritable Bowel Syndrome. I am noticing a slight bit of relief
from the bloat and gas I normally got. My sons have it too and my youngest son's
Dr. Highly recommended he take a Pro-biotic. So, I decided to give it a try also.
I go through stages of sugar cravings. I am headed into the bad time of year for
me...Oct.- Dec. so am telling my kids to quit filling my Christmas Stocking with
a billion lbs of cookies and candy. NONE! I always need a little bit of Choc. in
a day but one or two pieces is plenty. Like yesterday I bought a Candy Bar at
Barnes & NOble...and of the 4 pieces of the bar...I only ate 1 piece. Just need
that little bit and I'm good. I have type 2 Diabetis that I keep controlled by
what I eat except Oct.- Dec. So, I must make my grown kids behave themselves. LOL
So, mom can behave herself. That is the one A1C blood test that shows an elevated
Level each year. Other than that I stay in control...eating healthy food and taking
no pills.

Have a Great Day Ladies...I plan to. Rain starts tonight! And is suppose to last
until the weekend.

Love and Hugs,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2016 :  07:13:56 AM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Peggy, check your bacteria count in your probiotic. It should have at least 20 billion active bacteria in them. I take one called Fortify with 30 billion. You can get it at Walmart. The good and bad bacteria that is in your gut needs to be in the correct balance to work. Sugar increases the bad bacteria as well as causing inflammation throughout the body. Therefore cranberry pills not the juice. Most juice is just loaded with sugar, real or artificial. The nurse in me researches everything before I partake. Last year about this time I started the probiotics. I was feeling so awful. Exhausted, hurting, not sleeping well, bowel issues and decided to try to make some changes. I lost 25 pounds, lost the sweet cravings, stopped hurting and corrected my bowel issues. Still fine.

Luanne, are you at the GDS fair? I'll be in that area Sunday.

The weather so far this morning is beautiful. Little breeze and not to hot. Better bake hubby something before it gets to hot. I haven't used my oven during the horrible heat we've had. My crockpots have been working overtime. I have 4 of them. LOL!

PGTammy, in my thoughts and lifting you in prayer. You make my eyes leak!

Have a great day.

Darlene
Sister 1922

Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2972 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2972 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2016 :  08:43:07 AM  Show Profile
So glad to hear the tea packages are arriving and eveyone is enjoying them. I felt bad sending some of them because the stiching was bad. I do know how to sew - I made my prom dress my senior year of high school, but my sewing machine did not like all those layers! Those packages were special for a couple reasons. I had never had the constant commet tea - not a big orange fan - until my Grandma told me it was her favorite. I tried it and it was pretty good! She passed away 5 years ago, but I still have the tea from time to time and think of her. So, when I was looking for some tea to get for the swap and saw it I had to get it :)

Another reason is the cupcakes. There's a little story to them. I wasn't able to buy the milk cow kitchen fabric Mary Jane had. I posted a barter hoping for some scraps from someone. 2 Farmgirls came through with much more than scraps. One of them is cleaning out her sewing room and sending me a bunch of fabric. It's been so wonderful to get each box. They seem to come at times when I'm feeling down or having a run of bad luck. It's just so nice to know that someone's thinking of me. In one of those boxes was the pattern for the cupcakes. All the fabric I used came from her as well. (By the way every cupcake is different) I only had to buy the batting. I'm also going to be able to make all of my family wonderful Christmas gifts thanks to her generosity. It fills my heart to receive her farmgirl love and to be able to pass some of it along to all of you. (Thanks Julie!!!) Farmgirls are the BEST!!!

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month
http://nndairy.blogspot.com/

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2016 :  10:53:40 AM  Show Profile
Awwww, Heather and Julie, I feel a group hug coming on...c'mere girls! And, a tear in the eye. No kidding, sometimes, the posts from you girls just make me wish we all could meet up!

Heather, now my cupcake is even extra special.

Not sure why I feel so teary lately. Its not really a bad feeling. Just like I kinda of want to go away by myself.

Farmgirl sister #3926

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 669 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page