Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic
Page: of 669

firecatinc
True Blue Farmgirl

1252 Posts

Lenora
Fulks Run VA
USA
1252 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2017 :  4:28:13 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Sabrina, you are so busy. I kinda remember those days but its been a long while. Have a fun week-end.

Nora
Farmgirl Sister #7131
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2017
http://firecatinc.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2017 :  6:10:24 PM  Show Profile
Hello all,
It is a hot 86 degrees and it is after 8 pm and tomorrow is supposed to be first day of fall. I am sure summer is fighting this lol my butterflies were a hot mess today. Tomorrow we have teacher inservice and then a work day. That is good for me since I seemed to have fallen behind this week. YIKES!!

Peggy we started Beth Moore's new study. If the first video is any indication of the study you better put on your hiking shoes. As Miss Beth said it is a collision of bible study with your prayer closet. She was not kidding. I am very excited about the study and it has been a while since I have been able to say that. Now I love Jesus but sometimes I am in the ditch instead of the road and I believe I am about to hit the pavement.

Sabrina you are a busy lady. I am tired just reading it all. Hope you have a great weekend.

well ladies I am off to do some reading and down time before bed.
love to you all
Tammy

Tea is like being in the stars with God.

Visit my blog~Purple Skies
http://mypurpleskies.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

firecatinc
True Blue Farmgirl

1252 Posts

Lenora
Fulks Run VA
USA
1252 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2017 :  4:21:39 PM  Show Profile
It's been very hot here this week and is going to be into next week. We are so dry that the field I walk Duke in just crunches under my feet. The cows want to know if I have any grass on my side of the fence. But the weather man says we're still have an inch excess in rain this year. The tall white pine in the front yard has started letting her shats loose. I sure looks like I'll have a lot of raking soon.

Hope everyone has a great week.

Nora
Farmgirl Sister #7131
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2017 :  12:28:12 AM  Show Profile
HI My Porchies...

Tammy...I will look forward to teaching The Quest next year!! I tell you one thing this years Study on Revelation is going to be soooo Exciting!
I have taught it before...with me teaching it right out of the Scripture verse by verse...but this year I have added Beth Moore and Max Lucado
and Henry Blackaby to the mix...so, everyone gets a well rounded over-view of the Most Amazing and Mysterious Book in The Bible! Like I tell all my
Ladies...you don't have to know every name of every tree, plant and flower in the Forest to enjoy it's beauty and grandeur. '

Nora...sounds like you have crispy ground like we do. We had record rain this past Winter and Spring but Summer brought record heat and wind and dryness.
The little bit of rain we got last week was like just giving the fires and land a small sip of thirst quenching water.

Well, had a good day with my son and the kids yesterday...but when I came home I took a really bad fall. Bounced my head off the Concrete Sidewalk real good.
It split my forehead on the left side, and jarred my body really good! I had bent down to pet a dog of a friends who got loose on our complex grounds and
when I was done...I turned and headed for the mailboxes to check my mail...and I caught my sandal between the newly edged grass and the sidewalk and down I went.
Luckily several of my neighbors were out visiting and they came running to help me. You know how head wounds are...you bleed like somebody just cut your head off.
Blood everywhere. Some one ran to get me a towel and then several helped me up and one walked me home. I put ice water compresses on my head and laid back in the
recliner trying to get the bleeding to stop...so I could see if I needed stitches or if I could just make a butterfly band aid and put on it. I had just decided
that it didn't look as bad as it seemed...when someone knocked on my door. She the Neighbor who gave me the towel and she had another resident with her...who was
an EMT and so he looked at my head and asked me about blurred vision and a few other things and then he agreed with me that it would be ok and I didn't need stitches.
Which was good to have his assessment coincide with mine. It took a couple of hours before I got the bleeding to stop. And then a couple of hours later I was
getting ready for bed and bent over to pick something up and my head just started gushing a river of blood again. I should have known NOT to bend over but...
I guess I knocked the good sense right out of myself! LOL So, once I got the bleeding to stop again...which was much faster the second time. I put a huge band aid on it
and went to bed with my head propped up with pillows. Which is hard for me to sleep that way because I am a side sleeper. But I managed to sleep pretty well all things
considered. Today I feel like someone ran me over with a mack truck. Every square inch of my body hurts from the jarring of the fall. I'm getting ready to go call it
a night but wanted to get on here for a minute.

Hope everyone had a Great Weekend!

Love and Hugs,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
Dec 2011-Farmgirl of the Month
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

Love The People God gave you...
Because He will need them back one day!
Go to Top of Page

firecatinc
True Blue Farmgirl

1252 Posts

Lenora
Fulks Run VA
USA
1252 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2017 :  4:28:01 PM  Show Profile
Peggy, that sounds like a really bad fall. Hope you are doing okay.

Nora
Farmgirl Sister #7131
Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2017 :  5:50:28 PM  Show Profile
Hello girls,
Hope yall are doing well to start your week out.

Peggy I will be praying for you. HOpe you feel better and your head heals quickly. I will be honest the book of Revelation just confuses me in so many places but I keep reading it. Each time I gain more understanding I ordered a new bible since my current one is falling apart literally. I ordered a large print..yikes made me laugh I felt a bit of my age, but small print is getting harder to read even in my young age lol

It is a fall day here. I felt like I took 20 ducks to lunch. We walk two blocks to another school for lunch and pouring rain and umbrellas and water puddles well you get the picture lol

well just wanted to pop in and say hello.
love to you all
Tammy

Go to Top of Page

firecatinc
True Blue Farmgirl

1252 Posts

Lenora
Fulks Run VA
USA
1252 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2017 :  6:35:23 PM  Show Profile
Tammy, I can picture your little ones all dressed up for the rain and jumping in puddles as they go. So Cute.

Nora
Farmgirl Sister #7131
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2017 :  9:39:17 PM  Show Profile
Peggy, good grief girlie, the things you do anymore for attention. hahaha
Sorry, couldn't miss THAT chance to pick on you! Keeping you in my Prayers!
Tammy, your kiddos story made me laugh picturing it!

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
FGOTM:Jan.2012
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
"Hey...Don't Make Me Put My Hands On My Hips!"
"The serious go through life blowing far too few raspberries!"
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2017 :  11:57:56 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning My Porchies...

Yes Judy, you know me well...always like the Lime Light!!! LOL That is why I put purple in my hair and eye-lashes on my Beetle Bug.
But those are FUN things. Cracking my head open...NOT SO MUCH! I am doing much better girls. Finally felt brave enough to hop in the
shower this morning. Wanted to give that gash a couple days to build up a good scab so I wouldn't hop in the shower and break open the
wound and make my shower look like a scene from Psycho! LOL

Tammy...I'm with Nora...I could picture those little ducklings splashing through every puddle on the way to Lunch and seeing who could
splash who! Kids will be kids! But I hope teacher did a little splashing too. It would be good for you once in awhile. Every Adult needs
those times every so often. Makes you feel young again! Yesterday we were getting rain and I walked outside in my T-Shirt, Capre's, Sandals,
and let my arms, legs, and feet enjoy the rain. It was more like a heavy coastal Mist and it just felt Wonderful!!!

Judy...what is your sissy up to? She needs to hop on here once in awhile and chat...so we know that she is alive and well and settling in to
her new home and life. Pass that along to her for me.

Well, I need to go get something done today.

Love and Hugs,
Peg

Farmgirl #1326

Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2017 :  1:24:14 PM  Show Profile
Goodness Peggy!! Be careful!!

The kids had fun at the concert...me, well it was ok but chasing a toddler at a concert is not exactly my idea of a great time. They do this Christian Music fest here every year and I've decided next year we need to have an OCC booth at it for sure!

We are having a decently calm week except for my kids having dentist appointments Thursday, that should be....interesting.

The weather turned cool today, my kids are calling it cold...definitely not cold but quite present.

Sabrina

Farmgirl Sister #3275
February 2016 Farmgirl of the Month
http://kidscrunchandchrist.com

Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2017 :  08:11:07 AM  Show Profile
OK gals...I tried to get attention like Peg did...BUT...I was 'Home-Alone' when I did my dumb thing.
I put my hand into an small open fan with metal blades.(of course it wouldn't have plastic ones, probably wouldn't have hurt as much).I heard this ripping noise and fear ran all thru me. I just knew I had lost some fingers by the sound and pain. I immediately put my arm up under my armpit, then I thought, "ewww, there will be blood", so I pulled it out and put my hand over the fingers in case. Good, I still feel fingers, even tho they are numb. So I dared to look. Blood running down hand. Ran upstairs(was in basement)to get ice or whatever I was running for... or from. The whole time I'm muttering out loud to self..."I know there's no cover on that fan, I know there's no cover on that fan". I was in shock and shaking. I'm sure it was just the fear of knowing it could be bad. I hadn't really looked at it closely. Needed my glasses for that.*giggle* I got in the bathroom and washed the blood off.* whew* felt and sounded a lot worse than it was. Gashed 2 fingers real good on my right hand. Of course it wouldn't be the left one. We only mangle the things we use a lot(hence the reason Peg hit ONLY her head). Sorry Buddy, couldn't resist. Hahahahaha Anyhoo...I wrapped it in paper towel and grabbed my trusty ice pack(2# bag of frozen peas, marked Do Not Eat)and went and sat down to calm myself. I got my cell phone out and made myself play a game to calm down... something s-l-o-w. It worked. Then I really looked my fingers over. My pinky and next finger over suffered the damage. They had small cuts and blisters and 1 blood blister by the nail. I was lucky. I put salve and bandages on them and kept the ice on for awhile. Dave said I 'done-good' being the nurse he is. He looked it over good when he got home from work.
Today they are really sore and I'm not doing and 'Small-Engine-Work'. Hahaha So... ya... I'll live.
And that's My story for this week!(man, I hope there's not another one) This must be what happens when we get old, huh Peg? This life ain't for sissies...BUT... at least we have our 'Sista's' to share it with, and commiserate with! hahaha Right?
Make it a Great day Sista's!
Love Yuns!

Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2017 :  10:20:41 AM  Show Profile
Judy...what were you trying to do to your fan? Besides feeding the fan god your flesh! When you work on small engines it helps to turn them off and un-plug
them girlie! LOL We truly are two peas in a pod. Other than I know that you hate being in the Lime Light!! I guess that is what makes this rip-snorting funny.
Not really funny but amusing non-the less. I'm sorry you got booboos but turn the Fan OFF next time you get the notion to trim your finger nails down. LOL
You are right...Growing Old Aint for Sissies. And besides we get to scare the dickens out of the younguns...just watching us lose our brains. I would kiss those
booboo's for you if I was there. But Dave will have to do it for me. Read a book and enjoy some tea today and don't go near anything with moving parts and
you'll be fine little sis!

Sabrina...We use to have a Christian Fest every year here...for about 10 years when I Managed the Christian Bookstore. It was called Jesus Northwest and we had
thousands of people attend. In fact so many from out of town attended that the had to set up camp sites etc. It was usually a 4 day Event and my Store Sold all
the Christian Cd's for the different Groups. I loved working it! But you wouldn't believe how many people stole the Cd's. One guy tried to jump the fence with
a stack of 15 Cd's. Needless to say that didn't work out so good for him and he got caught by security. Other than that it was such a great Event each year.
So, I know you must have enjoyed what you could see and hear of it as you chased the toddler around. LOL What groups did they have playing there?

OK...off to spend time with Papa God. More Later. Have a Blessed Day My Porchies.

Hugs, Prayers and Squishies,
peg

Farmgirl #1326

Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2017 :  5:57:19 PM  Show Profile
ok ladies, do I need to pull out my teacher voice and explain how to be safe. Good gracious me. Yall need to sit down and take a break. I am praying for you both to have fast healing.

It has been beautiful fall weather here today. So lovely the butterflies and I enjoyed the colors as we walked to lunch. I have a few who told me they could fly which is better than rain puddles lol Tomorrow our school is going on a field trip to the Children's Literacy Festival. We get to meet real authors and see how they come up with their books and they have outdoor games and it looks to be a beautiful day.

Just popping in to say hello. Now everyone be safe. Yall hear my teacher voice...don't make me clip your wings cause you know I can do it.
love to you all,
Tammy

Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2017 :  6:57:13 PM  Show Profile
***giggle*** "I think she means it Peg!"

Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2017 :  11:48:03 AM  Show Profile
WOW...WOW...WOW MY PORCHIES

You know Tammy is serious when she starts using her Teacher Voice and putting her hands on her hips. OK...we will try to be SAFE!
I would rather splash through mud puddles or fly...than Bounce My Head Off The Concrete...so I will try an alternative form of
amusement...I Promise Teach! LOL That goes for you too Judy!

OK...My Mom got me hooked on a new Detective/PI Book Series (15 of them). Just finished the first one and really liked it! The only one on
here that I think might like it is Prairie Tammy. The rest of The Jane Austen Types would hate it.

My Oldest Step-Daughter will be in town later today. So, hubby and I will go meet her for a couple of hours. She knows lots of people in the
Portland/Vancouver Area...so, we will probably only see her once before she heads back on Sunday.

Off to get something done before it is time to head to Portland.

Big Hugs,
Peg

Farmgirl #1326

Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2017 :  2:45:52 PM  Show Profile
ohhh, all right, if I have too, I'll try to be good! *giggle*
Pasty is at her in-laws place here in OH., but they don't have computer access. Her SIL and BIL live in the boonies I guess. She can't get or send e-mails unless she goes to her daughters house. She's still dealing with funeral stuff. They just got the death certificates Weds., I think. Super S-l-o-w there.
So you will have to settle for me telling you what little I know about what she's doing. *whew* That's a mouth full!

Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!

Edited by - herblady55 on Sep 29 2017 2:47:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2017 :  2:24:08 PM  Show Profile
Judy...thanks for the update on your Sissie. I can't believe someone could live off the grid like Patsies Brother and Sister In Law.
I couldn't do it! I would go crazy. But that just shows you that I am a Farmgirl Wanna Be rather than a True Farmer TYPE! LOL

Pouring rain here today! Just down-poured a few minutes ago! Really a soaker. But they are showing that tomorrow is Thunder Storms and
then we are going to have 7 days of Sunshine and 70's! My Idea of Perfect Fall Days!

Spent 3 hours with my kids today. My Grand-daughter is now calling Grandma Peggy and Grandma Patti...Grandma-Mommy. So...funny!!! She is
so Fun! I also had a picture of my son Pat holding Savannah last Christmas and she kept calling him Uncle Pat-Pat! And she want to
see the picture on my phone about 20 times...so the last time I told her I put my phone in my purse...and Elijah said, Yah Uncle Pat is throwing up
in Grandma's Purse. He is such a BOY! Everything is buggers and throw-up with him. He is so silly.

OK...off to play a board game with my son. More Later Gators,
Peg

Farmgirl #1326

Go to Top of Page

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2017 :  2:30:09 PM  Show Profile
Hello! Chilly fall morning today 48' with clouds. Thankfully no frost on the Jeep yet, but it's coming soon. I need to start remembering to warm it up now before I drive it.

I had a fabulous weekend. I started dating a guy, Benny, who farms about 2.3 hours north of here and he invited me up for the weekend since they're harvesting beans and he couldn't come down. The people were awesome! This was my first trip up there so I hadn't met anyone yet except him. He leases his land and manages another farm. They had a combine breakdown and he wasn't able to meet me when I got there so he coordinated with them to get me out to the field where he was. His son met me at his place and helped me carry in my bags and situate Lacey with the dogs. Then he drove me to where they were unloading beans and I met his boss, his boss's wife and 2 boys. I was then transported by his boss in the semi to the field where another person drove me in the service truck out to the combine that he was working on. I think it says a lot that they were so willing to transport me for him and make sure we were able to spend time together. Amazing people. So, I spent most the weekend in the buddy seat of a tractor unloading combines. I also volunteered to drive when they needed a transport driver when moving to different fields. I hope I made a good impression on everybody.

Everybody around here that I mentioned what I was going to do for the weekend kept telling me I would be bored out of my mind but I loved every minute of it. I took my knitting so if I got bored I could work on a project and never touched it LOL. They were long exhausting days. We didn't get out of the field Friday night until 9:30 and then by the time we got back to pick up his truck and drive back to his farm it was after 10:30. Saturday night we didn't get out of the field until after 10:30. Lots of breakdowns and even a fire they were able to put out so rather eventful LOL Sunday they started later so he got to show me his farm. Lacey loved every minute of exploring. The plan was for me to follow him to drop his truck off and drop him off in the field Sunday before I left. Started to head to the field after dropping truck off and he got a call from his boss saying something had broken on the combine and they needed to pull something off a combine header at the farm so we had to turn around and go back so he could get started on taking apart the piece so it would be ready when they got the truck there to load the part. I hated leaving when I dropped him off. If nothing else I proved I don't get phased to much by the unexpected and can be flexible. I'll admit though all that sitting had my butt hurting LOL The buddy seat definitely needs more padding.

My last day at Walmart is the 11th and I start my CNA training the 16th. After a year of so much negativity it feels awesome to feel so much positive coming my way again. Thank you everybody that has been praying for me.

Well I need to get to work. Have an awesome evening ladies.

Tammy
Farmgirl Sister # 2363
Farmgirl of the Month November 2016
http://ndprairiegypsy.blogspot.com/
Prairie Critter Pet Sitter
"Pampered care for your pet"
Jamestown, ND
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2017 :  3:04:23 PM  Show Profile
Hello dear porches! Oh how I have missed you guys!!!! I need to go back and read what everyone has written! I don't even know the last time I posted on here! So if I'm not making sense about something, please let me know and I'll fill you in on what I'm talking about!!!

My kids have FINALLY stopped having nightmares for the most part about their friend losing their mom. That was truly an ordeal that I pray they never have to encounter again! Today we had to get a new cast for my four year old... her last one kept sliding now that the swelling is finally gone. She, my 2 yo and my 6 yo I pretty sure are fighting croup. I think we've got past the worst of it though, as the nights are going so much better! Hubby started officially working (as in finally on the clock for pay, lol) on the 18th. He is working more with children and their families, and is loving it!!! We went through a bit where we had a sick chicken, sick cat, and sick goat. That was rough, but we saw all three of them through it... well God did... and they are all doing well now. We just bred one of our milkers yesterday, so looking forward to her babies in about five months. We are hoping to do one goat a month for the next couple months.

I've been to the OB twice now.... Jenni is looking great :) I passed me gestational diabetes test with flying colors which I was tickled about, however, my thyroid is way off and I am extremely anemic... to the point where they are talking about me possibly needing a transfusion after delivery. Delivery, by the way, is a scheduled section... the 17th of November at noon.I feel like I have s much to do before then!

Kids are starting to wake up from naps. Will write more soon <3

~ Shannon, Sister # 5349
Farmgirl of the Month - January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

firecatinc
True Blue Farmgirl

1252 Posts

Lenora
Fulks Run VA
USA
1252 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2017 :  6:16:06 PM  Show Profile
Tammy, your week-end sounds like a Hallmark movie.

We've had frost the last two mornings. Not killer frost but frost. Still no rain. We had a fall yard sale at the park on Saturday. Found a few things I couldn't live without. Mostly vegetables. The puppy was so funny today. He found a wooly caterpillar in the grass and kept jumping back when it tickled his nose.

Nora
Farmgirl Sister #7131
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2017 :  11:48:19 AM  Show Profile
My My...dear Porchies...

I feel like I was Time-Warped on here today. LOL

Prairie Tammy where did you meet this guy? It sounds like he has little time for a Social Life. BUT Kudos for YOU being the True Blue Farmgirl!!!
The City Slicker that I really am didn't think your Weekend sounded Much Fun...just sitting on a Tractor or Truck or what-ever all Wknd.
More than my backside would be hurting!! LOL But hey, (or should I say HAY) I hope the guys worth it! LOL I saw your pictures on FB; the Farmyard
looked nice and the dog seemed to love it. Congrats on starting the New Job Training Soon. I'm really Happy that once again...good things seem to
be coming your way. Answered Prayers For Sure!!!

Shannon...The only thing that made any sense to me was your pregnancy and the scheduled Delivery in Nov. That is soooooooooo close! Boy time went
by fast this time. Or maybe it was just because you were on here less and all of a sudden you are almost due. WOW!! You will blink and she will
be in your arms! Congrats on passing the Diabetics Testing with flying colors. All the rest of your news sounded confusing to me. But it could be
from my bouncing my head off the sidewalk and Fibro-Fog. LOL

Nora...I could just picture your puppy and the woolly caterpillar. Sounds so cute!!! Pups are so fun to watch anyway when they are outside discovering
a New Big Play Ground!

OK...nothing else new other than getting ready to head to My Beach Retreat Thursday Morning!! I can hardly wait girls!!!

Have a Blessed Day,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Edited by - LadyInRed on Oct 03 2017 11:51:08 AM
Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2017 :  12:55:29 PM  Show Profile
Goodness gracious ladies y'all need to be more careful!! And YOU are always telling ME to take it easy!!! :) JUST KIDDING! But really I hope everyone is healing well!

Well.....after six weeks of doing the ESL classes I've decided to quit that job. Man, I feel like I quit things too often....or maybe I start things too often lol. It is a really awesome opportunity for stay at home moms to make some extra money but it isn't the right thing for THIS stay at home mom. My kids have gotten out of control, my house is a horrendous mess and I'm exhausted. Plus I don't have time to pursue anything that I'm REALLY passionate about and feel like God wants me to be doing with my time. I'm finishing up the few classes I already had and then letting it go. I'm kind of struggling with the decision but I know it is the right thing to do.

Well, the fruit harvest was a bust for us this year, the pears turned bad before I got to them and only one tree had any apples and the worms got to them before I could. I'm going to be doing a lot of research this winter and doing whatever I can to get better outcomes next year. The grape vines grew but no grapes that I saw. Hopefully they will produce something next year. The walnut harvest is promising though! But man those are a lot of work lol. Also, I found a pecan tree on the property! I am excited about that but right now it is too overgrown around it for us to find the nuts. Hopefully this winter we can get that cleared out so next year we can collect all the nuts. I also have an oak in the front yard that is dropping tons of acrons. I am trying to figure out a fun craft I can do with those, maybe I can make something to put on Etsy.

My chickens are so finicky. My roosters still need to be butchered because they are costing me an arm and a leg in feed! But I'm waiting till hubby gets home. They sure aren't going to end up being cheaper than buying one from the grocery store! The hens started laying well again but now they have stopped again. Super irritating. I suspect a couple are leaving the pen to lay and we are letting one go broody to see if she will hatch a clutch (yes it isn't the best time of year but the kids really wanted to see what would happen, I have a heat lamp for them if they hatch). My bees are doing well and I'm hoping to get some rabbits this fall. That will probably be all the animals for a while. We are going to put in much bigger gardens next year and that will take a lot of our time/energy.

Hubby comes home this month! Yay the countdown has finally begun!

Not much else is going on here.

Sabrina

Farmgirl Sister #3275
February 2016 Farmgirl of the Month
http://kidscrunchandchrist.com

Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2017 :  9:28:09 PM  Show Profile
Just popping on real quick to say that we had our first frost Sunday morning....a really heavy one. It almost looked like a light snow on the rooftops. It was 35 when I got up for church.
Ok, you hard-working girlie's are making me really tired just reading all that you did. Whoa... slow down... breathe... repeat...hahaha

Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2017 :  06:32:07 AM  Show Profile
Good morning dear ladies!!! Sorry my last post was confusing! I didn't want to bore you with repetitive information, so I left it brief, but let me explain.... A couple months ago one of my children's friends lost her mother.... at the hands of her father. The young 10 year old daughter witnessed him beating her, grabbed her mother's phone and ran out of the house, calling the police. By the time the police got there, mom was deceased, beaten to the point she was unrecognizable with his hands! So in that single day, she lost both her parents, was taken into custody and then moved to a different state, leaving behind everything she knew and loved. For the last couple months, my children have had nightmares that I'm going to die, and for some reason my hubby couldn't keep them. My children do not know all that happened, except my oldest, which was told by a different adult.

As for my 4 year old... on the 17th of this month, she and the other children were cleaning up the basement, which is where the mass majority of the toys are. We also have our storage down there, as well as freezers. She had her hand sitting on the edge of a chest freezer... on the opposite wall was an extra king mattress and the box springs that go with it. Well my 2 yo and 6 yo were playing around those and knocked them down, right on my 4 yo's hand. Two of the bones in her hand are broken... one of which was actually broken in two places. Because of being so swollen, her first cast ended up being too loose, so we had to go get another one for her.

Hubby finished up his non-paying internship at the hospital and is now on a provisional license as a family and marriage counselor. He is working in the kid clinic, and so far is enjoying it. I'm enjoying getting a paycheck again and being able to start paying some bills!!! This last year without a normal paycheck has been incredibly difficult!

As for the sick animals...... It started with a chicken.... she started not keeping anything down. I finally figured out she had sour crop, so I put her in a dog carrier in the goat barn (which she hated!) with some apple cider vinegar water. We had her on that for a couple days, then started adding cooked egg yolks to her diet. Once she was handling that well, we got her back on food, and then eventually moved her in with the rest of the chickens. She is doing great now. The it was my 8 yo's cat..... we have 4 kittens that are going to become barn cats, but are going to have t stay inside until the Spring as winter is hitting fast. Well my cat cannot stand the kittens.... We have let the kittens starting roaming freely downstairs, but the cat's litter box was down there. Well the cat decided she was no longer going to use the litter box except when the kittens are locked up at night. She ended up with a really bad urinary tract infection... took her to the vet, and they gave her an antibiotic and put her on special food... and we put a litter box upstairs for her. And then there was my goat. Still not positive what was all wrong with her. She showed signs of both pneumonia and bloat... We gave her baking soda for the bloat and an antibiotic for the pneumonia... then added electrolytes, probiotics and Vitamin B Complex. She is doing much better now as well.

Peggy - you bounced our head off the sidewalk???? Are you alright????? I understand fiber fog, as between that, my thyroid, my adrenal glands, and being anemic, I totally get it!!! There are days I feel like I'm falling apart! To tip it off, looks like my probable Crohn's is flaring up again, which translates to being even more anemic. I'm going to try my nettle infusions again, along with encapsulated slippery elm bark and psyllium seeds. Surely something has to help!

Sabrina - sounds like you are doing the best thing for your family <3 you know I'm only a text away <3 Sorry the fruit harvest is so low! I felt like that for my garden, though we did get some veggies. We need to butcher some roosters as well, but I think we are going to wait until Spring. Unless I get super ambitious, hahaha. Next year we are hoping to add bees, rabbits, and pigs. We will see.

Judy - we too are experiencing hard frosts at the moment. This morning is especially so! I'm hoping my garden, which is covered, will survive. I plan to finish picking everything this weekend, as we are suppose to then be below freezing for like the next week at night! Winter is right around the corner for us!

Well I better jump off here... need to go milk my goats :) Much love to you all! And since today is "National Taco Day" we are having... tacos! Figured I would share some with you.... just ground beef with taco seasoning, and bowls of fixings including chopped sweet peppers, chopped jalapeños, chopped tomatoes, shredded cheese, chopped onions, homemade guacamole, homemade salsa, chopped cilantro, refried beans, chopped olives, shredded lettuce, and some lemonade. Enjoy <3

~ Shannon, Sister # 5349
Farmgirl of the Month - January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2017 :  08:48:42 AM  Show Profile
Sabrina...I for one am always glad that God shows you when you have gotten overly committed. I know it is your Nature to be an active, involved parent
and you find it hard to say no or even NOT to Volunteer yourself. BUT...(Need I say more...NO! LOL). Glad hubby is coming home this month...I am sure
you and the kids are counting down the days but for totally different reasons. It must be really hard when he is gone, then it takes awhile for you to
adjust to his being there. ~ Your Fruit Trees will need sprayed once a year to get good crops! And you can spread sheets or a tarp under your Nut Trees
and then you don't have to dig for them when they fall. Just a few thoughts to consider. Sounds like you have a lot of great fruit and nut trees.
I'm not sure about caring for Grapes...as I have never grown them but my Greek BIL always has Wonderful Grapes and so does a Lady in my Apartment Complex.
She grows Beautiful Big Green Grapes right in her flower bed...she just has an arched arbor she grows them on. She also cuts them way back every fall or
spring. I always want to pinch one off and try them...but I never do...though they are very tempting.

Shannon...Thank You for Explaining Everything. I kind of remember about the Wife dying but I don't think you had shared that her husband beat her to death.
I cannot imagine anything more horrifying for a child to witness. Why are some men so brutal? It always stems from a Control Issue but...Oh, my dear Lord
...I just praise God for every good and loving parent in the world. My Dad was a Prince of a Man and he would have never have laid a finger on Mom or us girls.
My Mom is really a Strong Willed Woman (see I come by it naturally...LOL) but my Dad treated her like his Girlfriend for 52 years. One time my husband and I
were in Spokane where my parents lived and it was dusk and we stopped by my parents house and they weren't home. So we left...but as we drove up one of the
Neighborhood Hills...I saw a couple walking about a quarter of a mile away...and I said to my husband...oh, there's Mom & Dad. And He said How can you tell they
are so far away and it's almost dark? I said, Because they are holding hands while they're walking! Sure enough...it was them. My mom was the Matriarch and
wore the pants in the family...but My Dad Loved her to pieces. His last week he was alive and in the Hospital he asked The Nurse if he could have a warm blanket
and he called her sweetie. The nurse didn't appear to hear him so my mom said, Did you hear what my husband asked for? She said, Oh no, I thought you were
talking to your wife. My Dad said, "No, I call her My Angel...and she has been for 52 yrs of married life." We all went...Awe, how sweet! But I called My
Dad a Saint because only a Saint could put up with my Mom...as the rest of us found it very difficult at times.

Judy...Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!! We are just experiencing cold nights but no FROST yet. I'm glad too...as I am still trying to suck every last breath of Summer
into my being! It was Long and Hot here but it wasn't enough. I'm still not ready to give it up yet! LOL

Well girls...I have a standing date with Jesus in the Mornings and I'm running late. I know he is waiting for me...so more later!

Love and Blessings,
And Beach Here I come...
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 669 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page