Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic
Page: of 669

MarionCountryGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Marla
Hemet Ca
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2010 :  09:32:46 AM  Show Profile
Wow Angela what a find! Sometimes we get the greatest gifts from the least expected places. Makes life much more interesting.
I understand the grumpy hubby thing. As my hubby faces some health issues in his old age (his words lol) he has become grumpy and a bit controling. But I have just sat him down and said I love you but will not live under these conditions. The ball is in your court and you decide. Now after over 20 years togeather its like a second honeymoon. Not sure if it will last forever but sure enjoying it while it lasts.

Every Day is a gift from God, Rejoice and be glad in it.
Go to Top of Page

monicarose
True Blue Farmgirl

406 Posts

Monica
Florida
USA
406 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2010 :  8:02:51 PM  Show Profile
I can't get over how much you miss on this porch if you don't stop in everyday! Just dropping in with some cool pink lemonade!
Hope you all have a Happy and Safe 4th of July!

Living for today! aka: Paper Rose
Go to Top of Page

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2010 :  8:29:25 PM  Show Profile
..that is so cool Angela!!!!

Karrieann ~ Farmgirl Sister #766 (29 Sept 2009)

My Blog: ...following my heart, dreams and Jesus
...http://karrieann-followingmyheartandjesus.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2010 :  10:30:20 PM  Show Profile
Guess what? I am so excited...I can hardly stand it. I bought a Vintage 1947 Schwinn Three Wheeler Bicycle today for $100.00. I am taking it in to a local bike shop tomorrow for some minor repairs and hopefully to have them repaint it for me. If the paint job is too expensive then I will just paint it myself. But I am so thrilled to find it. Right now it is blue/white...but I plan to have it painted Red with the basket painted white.
I plan to take before and after pictures and will post them later.

blessings,
~peggy

Lady In Red
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

A "SMILE" Should Be A Woman's First Accessory, Then Her Purse, Shoes, and Bling! ~p.smith
Go to Top of Page

Lin
True Blue Farmgirl

807 Posts

Lin
Sioux City IA
USA
807 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2010 :  10:47:18 PM  Show Profile
Have a great trip, Sue! Sounds heavenly!!!

Angela, that is super about your piano!!! How great that your hubby found those levers! My gosh, you guys are just having a ball with that piano! That is the best!!

My daughter and I just returned from our town's annual Mardi Gras Parade!! So much fun and tons of people.......very family oriented with live bands, barrels of beads thrown to everyone, beautiful floats and costumes!! Last night was the Mardi Gras show at our grand old Orpheum Theatre, which has been restored to it's orginal glory!! Such fun!! Tomorrow is Saturday in the Park at our huge park where there's a gigantic bandshell and there are lots of great bands playing (Santana starts the show!). It's going to be close to 100 degrees tomorrow and usually 30,000 people show up for this every year, so we normally don't stay more than a couple of hours. Music, ethnic foods, a kids area, and a large Beer Garden, which I avoid!! Everything is free except for the food, so is a very nice gift from our fine city!! I'm going to stop by the porch with a fresh fruit bowl and dip and thought I would bring some cinnamon muffins.

Monica, your lemonade sounds so refreshing!!! Happy 4th!! Hugs, Lin

"Our beautiful earth is worth saving"!!

Edited by - Lin on Jul 02 2010 10:52:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

kittykill
True Blue Farmgirl

608 Posts

Pam
Portland or
USA
608 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2010 :  06:21:31 AM  Show Profile  Send kittykill an AOL message  Send kittykill a Yahoo! Message
Peg! That is so great! What a deal! Please post pictures and if you are anything like me, watch out for building that jump out at ya!

Lin-what a great day and how wonderful for your city to do that. Have lots of fun and dance a lot but don't forget water and sunscreen.

www.fasterkittykill.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2010 :  11:15:13 AM  Show Profile
Peggy, that bike sounds so cool! Please post pics! Out to enjoy the sun after posting! Next week is supposed to be not nice here, so I have to take advantage of today's weather!
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2010 :  12:03:28 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Lin...What a wonderful celebration! I sure live in the wrong part of the country! Enjoy yourselves.

Peggy...You lucky duck! That's such a great find. What fun you will have. You'll be the envy of everyone in your complex.

Angela...I would love to learn to play the Dulcimer. Every year in the fall there is a Dulcimer teaching weekend here and maybe this year I'll try to attend.

HOORAY FOR THE RED WHITE AND BLUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Darlene
Go to Top of Page

Lin
True Blue Farmgirl

807 Posts

Lin
Sioux City IA
USA
807 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2010 :  7:30:05 PM  Show Profile
Peggy, you are SO lucky to have found that bike!! WooHoo!!! Can't wait to see pictures!! My first bike was a Schwinn....blue and white!! Last nights Mardi Gras parade had our areas Bike Group and several had restored Schwinns and I thought about you and how much fun you're going to have!!! Congratulations, Girl!!!

Happy 4th of July to all of you Porchies!!! I'll drop off a cool gelatin dessert with fresh strawberries, blueberries and whipped cream!! Hugs, Lin

Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2010 :  9:41:59 PM  Show Profile
I want one of those retro bikes that look like the old ones but in new pastel colors. I want a lilac colored one so bad. I am jealous of all you with bikes!
I am so happy with my little community garden now. It is totally weed free and will soon be completely planted. It is also my daughters learning garden, so I am hoping everything works well.
I hope everyone has a good fourth of july!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2010 :  12:10:10 AM  Show Profile
Well, like every great find there are pros and cons. I only saw the pros the day I bought the bike today I discovered the cons. BUT I AM DETERMINED TO RESTORE IT! First bike shop I went in to today...couldn't believe what was before their very eyes when I wheeled "Loleta" (yes, I named her already) in. They said, "Where oh where did you get that?" So, I enthusiasticly told them about my find and the plans I had for her. And they said, "Well, you'll never find parts for it (I need 3 fenders) and I wanted 3 new tiers on it and they only had two and they didn't match and when I asked if I could leave it and they could order me 3 new tires which I wanted...they said, we don't have room for it, we have about 100 bikes ahead of yours to fix (and they did I could see them) and they wouldn't paint it for me either. So, I got a number from the OLD Schwinn dealer here in town...but he only works when he wants to because he is probably as old as my bike. And when I called him there was no answer. BUT the guys at the first bike shop said if anyone would have old parts it would be Jim. So, after the Holiday I will try again to get hold of him. In the mean time I found another Bike shop who will do my repairs in a week and a half but won't paint it and won't have the fenders I need either. Hopefully between Jim and myself we will be able to restore it. I am not opposed to sanding off rust and repainting. I have decided that Loleta will be RED when I get done with her...because after all I am The Lady In Red. (In this case...The Lady On Red! LOL) So, I am a little discouraged but not disheartened because my Mamma always told me that "Where there is a will there is a way" and I believe that. Pictures will have to wait until Loleta is fixed but you'll all get to ride this adventure out with me.

On a sad note...we had to take our oldest Dog Sterling (8 1/2 yrs) to the Vet this morning to be put down because he has bitten two people in less than a month. He has always had an aggressive nature but had never bitten anyone before. He actually broke his leather collar in half lunging at a friend of ours here in the complex and tried to bite her four times and got her once. My husband and I were so shook up and so was our friend who got bit obviously. So, last night we made the really tough decision and this morning my husband took him in. I feel so badly for my husband because Sterling was his dog. Sterling is a one person dog so you could never adopt him out or give him away. He is even aggressive towards children and other animals. It still has been heart wrenching. Bella my three yr. old Shi-Tzu has been looking for her buddy all day and can't figure out where he has gone. Anyway to top it all off it cost $150.00 to have him put down and since he bit someone they have to quarantine him for 10 days first to make sure he doesn't have rabies (which is a state law...but our Vet has given him all his shots since forever and we keep our dogs up on all their shots and vet visits). And we have to pay additional $200.00 to board him for those 10 days; but that is a discounted cost because we had just taken both dogs to the Vet yesterday before Sterling bit our friend and paid out $160.00 for Vet Care. So, in two days we are out $510.00, one family pet and have a friend that will freak out when she finds out we had him put down. She will blame herself and go in to depression (she is bi-polar). So, please keep my little household in your prayers this week. We would really appreciate it. I can't wait for Church in the morning believe me.
Blessings,
~peggy

Lady In Red

A "SMILE" Should Be A Woman's First Accessory, Then Her Purse, Shoes, and Bling! ~p.smith
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2010 :  04:16:13 AM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Oh Peggy I am so sad for you. I have had to grieve the the loss of pets also. I had a Boston Bulldog that was old and died in my arms and 16 mo later our Rottweiler also died in my arms. He had cancer and we gave him chemo (never again) and was only 5. I was away on a cruise with my mother and sisters and when I left my beagle Rocky was fine and while I was gone he had to be put down to the cost of over $3,ooo to try and save him 1st. It's heartbreaking because they become our kids! We raise beagles and I have the sweetest 10yo,Jackie,my constant companion and sidekick. Everytime I think how old she is I freek out thinking about losing her! Again know how very sorry I am for your loss to you both.

Try to go on ebay and see if you can find parts for Loleta if no one else has them.

Blessings,
Darlene
Go to Top of Page

kittykill
True Blue Farmgirl

608 Posts

Pam
Portland or
USA
608 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2010 :  07:24:14 AM  Show Profile  Send kittykill an AOL message  Send kittykill a Yahoo! Message
Peg-I am so sorry about your dog. I had to do that with my Staffie/Great Dane mix. She had been on doggy probation with the city and then got aggressive toward other dogs in the house. It was my roommate's dog but I had lived with her the majority of her life so she felt like mine. Lots of prayers coming your way.

There are so many bike shops in Portland, there is actually one down the street from my house that restores old ones. Mark had gotten me a banana seat bike when we were first dating and had to get parts for it so don't despair-there are a lot of places our there across the river. I'll ask Mark the name of the person he used.

Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2010 :  12:40:23 PM  Show Profile
Peggy, I'm so sorry about your dog! I can't even imagine having to go through that. Luckily, our oldest family dog is still alive, even though she is a bigger dog and is 16. I will pray for your family this week!
Happy Fourth of July everyone!
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.
Go to Top of Page

Lin
True Blue Farmgirl

807 Posts

Lin
Sioux City IA
USA
807 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2010 :  1:44:36 PM  Show Profile
Oh Peg, I am so very sorry about your beloved dog. It's heartbreaking to lose such a loyal companion and member of your family! Please know my hugs and prayers are with you and your hubby. I'm feeling very sad for you.

Angela, your garden sounds lovely and how nice to have that for your daughter!! Hugs and Smiles and Happy 4th to all!! Hugs and Smiles, Lin

Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2010 :  3:04:26 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Peg, I am so sorry too! It really is sad to lose a companion.
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Just a small town country girl trying to live her dreams. :)
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2010 :  4:43:02 PM  Show Profile
Thank you so much My Porchie Sister's for your loving thoughts
and prayers about our dog. It is hard even when you know that you
did what you had to do to protect other people and ourselves from
getting sued.

Pam thanks for the reminder that Portland is a great source to check out for Bike shops. My brain might have eventually gone down that path in a few days after grieving for our dog. I had thought about checking on-line for parts but just haven't gone there yet either. Thanks friend!

You are all so Wonderful and sensitive and comforting. God Bless You All Right Back!

Hugs,
~Peggy

Lady In Red

Go to Top of Page

monicarose
True Blue Farmgirl

406 Posts

Monica
Florida
USA
406 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2010 :  6:10:47 PM  Show Profile
OH, Peggy, I'm so sorry for you! Now that we're empty nesters our little 4 legged friends are just like kids to us...funny how that happens....so very sad for you!

Living for today! aka: Paper Rose
Go to Top of Page

kittykill
True Blue Farmgirl

608 Posts

Pam
Portland or
USA
608 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2010 :  6:35:44 PM  Show Profile  Send kittykill an AOL message  Send kittykill a Yahoo! Message
My husband and I only have 4 legged children. One of our jacks was 18 when he past away. We grieved and then after some time got a little boy because we have two girls and we desperately wanted a little man in our life. It's so funny when we told people we were getting a little boy for us and the girls.

I have fresh raspberries and strawberries for some shortcake and earplugs for the fireworks. Happy 4th everyone!

Go to Top of Page

Lin
True Blue Farmgirl

807 Posts

Lin
Sioux City IA
USA
807 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2010 :  8:28:54 PM  Show Profile
Ohhhh, Pam, fresh raspberries and strawberries on shortcake sound delicious!!! I'll take a pair of earplugs too!! So hard to lose our four legged kids!! They become our family! Hugs, Lin

Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2010 :  12:46:41 AM  Show Profile
Yes, our four legged two dogs are our children after our 6 kids have flown the nest. So to us putting one of them down is like having one of your children die. BUT right now the hardest part is knowing he is alive at the Vets in quarantine for 10 days before they put him down. That just is breaking my heart and seems so ridiculous to me. Why can't they put him down and then run the rabies tests???? And like I said, the Vet has given him all his shots and he is current as of last Friday on everything. I know that the Law is the Law but...

Guess what else girls...I can't name my 3 wheeler bike "Loleta" like I was going to because I had no idea that name had perverted sexual innuendo's attached to it. I saw a vintage WWII plane painted with a woman named Loleta on it that was a little sexy and cute, but I knew nothing about a movie and a guy having sex with a 14 year old Nymphomaniac named Loleta until my DH told me about it tonight. Leave it to me...Miss Too Nieve most of the time! He said most men will have heard that name and get the wrong idea. So, back to the drawing board. Maybe I will let my Farmgirl Sisters help me think of a name for it. Let's make it a contest. I will keep track of your names that you suggest for my Red Three Wheeler and then I will award some kind of PRIZE for the one I decide on. What do you think about that? The prize will be a surprise to whom ever wins until they receive it. I hope you're like me and love a Surprise! And this will get my mind off my poor dog and on to something more uplifting and fun!

Blessings,
~peggy

Lady In Red

Go to Top of Page

kittykill
True Blue Farmgirl

608 Posts

Pam
Portland or
USA
608 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2010 :  07:12:48 AM  Show Profile  Send kittykill an AOL message  Send kittykill a Yahoo! Message
Oh Peg,my heart just breaks for you right now. My little jack who is dear to me beyond belief is named Lola. We call her Lolita sometimes, but yeah-it is the name of a book and a movie about a 14 year old girl.

PS-I am always a fan of older names like Ruby, Grace, Betty, Rosie.

Go to Top of Page

Lin
True Blue Farmgirl

807 Posts

Lin
Sioux City IA
USA
807 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2010 :  09:26:37 AM  Show Profile
Well, Peg, I think you should name your treasure "Ruby" because you're going to paint her red. Pam suggested that so I'll think some more to see if I come up with something else I like. Hugs, Lin

Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2010 :  10:59:46 AM  Show Profile
I think Billie is the perfect name for your bike. I posted the reason on your naming thread. I'll explain here as well. Billie was the name of John Dillinger's mistress which the movie The Lady In Red was made about. I think the name fits!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

Lin
True Blue Farmgirl

807 Posts

Lin
Sioux City IA
USA
807 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2010 :  12:19:45 PM  Show Profile
I like "Vintage Rose" or "Teacup". No particular reason, just cute! Thanks Lin

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 669 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page