MommaJ9
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Kimberly
Longview Washington
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2009 :  6:35:40 PM  Show Profile
'Tis the season for ladybugs to find a place to hibernate...and it seems that they have found my house again!!!They drive me nuts! And the smell? Ugh...I realize that they are a blessing in the garden, but at the moment, it is feeling more like a plague has targeted my house! Our house is yellow, so maybe they think that it is a giant sunflower? Is anyone else having this problem? We are fortunate enough to have a central-vac system that comes in handy. Of course, the garage where the canister sits doesn't smell so nice, but it does do the job...at least 10 times a day!

Any ideas?

http://jabezfarm.blogspot.com

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4727 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4727 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2009 :  7:31:12 PM  Show Profile
How annoying! We haven't had a outbreak of ladybugs here in awhile now, thank goodness! About all we could do was vacuum the ones up in the house and use soapy water on the ones outside on the walls. I hope they leave you alone soon!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2009 :  07:13:00 AM  Show Profile
We usually get them at out little guest house. It's brown. But they are ALL over it. I haven't seen them yet but they will be here soon. It's around this time they come. And they do stink. We just vacuum them up and burn the bags. Where do they come from? And I was told these are not the good beneficial ones, either.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2009 :  08:52:36 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the warning Kris. We are probably about to have them also. I find them for weeks. It is hard to get them off the ceiling!

"A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes"==Cinderella
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2009 :  4:42:48 PM  Show Profile
Must be they are all moving west!!!! ;)
About 7 years ago, we had a really, really bad year. We lived in a 150 year old house in the country, so that just meant they loved our house! We couldn't go out the door without being "attacked" and at night they would land on us in bed.
I finally had to start sucking them up with my Rainbow vacuum, which has a water bowl, so of course they would drown. I felt so guilty about it. Until, the next spring, when I discovered how many had been hiding- in the drapes, in the corners of the windows, along base boards, in folded clothes, etc. It was just as bad the next year, then slowly started getting better. Each summer, I see plenty out in the garden where they should be, so I don't feel guilty anymore.
If they are truly botherimg you in your home, you should vacuum those up and get rid of them. The more you vacuum, the more it will help.
Good luck, I know what you're going through!

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9269 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9269 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2009 :  5:47:40 PM  Show Profile
We get them here sometimes but I have never noticed a smell from them. Never even heard of that. Hope you can get them taken care of. Crickets now there is something I could do with out in my house!

God is good....all the time.
Denise
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

BonnieBlue
True Blue Farmgirl

67 Posts

bonnie
amite LA
USA
67 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2009 :  6:04:22 PM  Show Profile
I live in South Louisiana and we don't have the Ladybug problems in our houses. Our BIG, BIG problem in May and Sept. for about 6 weeks are LoveBugs. Talking about smell, the dead ones are really bad. The Lovebugs get stuck on the cars and will take the paint off the cars, if you do not get them off fast.

I have noticed in the last week I have a few Ladybugs on my Okra plants.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2009 :  3:08:35 PM  Show Profile
I saw some ladybugs today. So here they come. And these are not the good beneficial ones, either. Those are red and the bad stinky ones that come in the house are orange. Theya re nasty. So here goes.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

happydaze
True Blue Farmgirl

136 Posts

lorraine
atlanta ni
USA
136 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2009 :  5:35:10 PM  Show Profile
We call them the "Killer Lady Bugs" takes the guilt out of squashing them!!
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2009 :  8:27:27 PM  Show Profile
Hmmmm....you all just made me realize ....We haven't seen any lady bugs this year.And we're getting ready for some snow in a couple of days, so bug days are over. The 2nd year we lived here we ordered a box of 250 of the "beneficial" red ones to turn loose on our property. They eat bad bugs in the garden. Hmmmm.....must have eaten all of them and moved on. hahaha Hugs*Squeezles Judy

I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
Go to Top of Page

MommaJ9
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Kimberly
Longview Washington
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2009 :  4:35:16 PM  Show Profile
The rains have arrived, so the ladybug infestation has calmed down. I'm sure that once the sun comes back out, it will pick up where it left off...in the meantime, my vacuum cleaner is being kept busy! My hubby blames me for the problem...I ordered 500 ladybugs about 20 years ago and he swears that they are all decendants of those! We don't even live in the same place!

Farmgirl #783
Go to Top of Page

milkmaid
True Blue Farmgirl

187 Posts

Heather
Higginsville Missouri
USA
187 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2009 :  07:39:20 AM  Show Profile
We are also having issues with the ladybugs... they are everywhere!! Every time I go outside I get covered... ours bite or sting something... icky...

http://goodfarm.blogspot.com/

Farmgirl #542

Mother to five awesome kids, wife of 17 years and milk maid to two beautiful cows. Living the good life!!!
Go to Top of Page

Diane B Carter
True Blue Farmgirl

1270 Posts

Diane
Blasdell N.Y.
USA
1270 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2009 :  08:33:48 AM  Show Profile
I just came from my neighbors and had 3 on my sleeve, I brushed them off. One year I walked into my home and the entire door on the inside of my house was covered with ladybugs I swept them up into a garbage can (They didn't even try to get away) and took them out to the woods. I did have to kill some and it never happened again (thank-God)I also have a yellow house. It was strange I left for work no bugs came home to 100's. I also didn't know they smelled. But my nose only notices choclate.

Hope all your days are Sunnydays.
dianebcarterhotmailcom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MommaJ9
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Kimberly
Longview Washington
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2009 :  12:14:49 PM  Show Profile
I feel like I am in some kind of an Alfred Hitchcock movie! The south side of our house is covered, every time the sun comes out! We started leaving the windows open so that the ones who've made it indoors will get cold and have to huddle together in a corner. Makes it so much easier to suck 'em up! Of course, we have to bundle up before we can do that! They only stink when they get bumped or squished. It must be why the birds leave them alone!

Farmgirl #783
Go to Top of Page

Claude09647
True Blue Farmgirl

761 Posts

Claudia
Our Dairy Farm Pennsylvania
USA
761 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2009 :  4:46:27 PM  Show Profile  Send Claude09647 an AOL message
i was walking from my car to my back porch last evening and one flew on my cheek. I do like to see them but just not everywhere. Our back porch door is white and it was speckled with little moving dots that were just moving about like crazy.

"My ideal day is sitting on the back porch, cup of green tea in hand, slippers on, and just watch the cows in the pasture"

http://claude09647.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2009 :  3:15:11 PM  Show Profile
Ok ....we didn't have any AT ALL the last time I posted. Now we do. You gals cursed me! hahaha Ok, I guess it's my turn. I know what you mean Claudia. I was sitting in the car at the gas station waiting for my husband to finish getting gas and ~WHAM~one came out of nowhere and hit me in the face too. I'm like, "Watch where you're going." Like it understood.lol
Judy

Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2009 :  5:26:56 PM  Show Profile
Are you sure they are ladybugs and not japanese beetles?

Not all those who wander are lost...
www.SarahPauline.com
www.AbraxasBaroque.com
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2009 :  12:34:56 PM  Show Profile
I'm not sure what they call these things...I should look them up.But they are the same size and appearance as a ladybug, only yellow/gold color instead of ladybug red/orange. Some have black dots, some are plain....??? Japanese beetles are totally different from these.
Judy

Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2009 :  10:25:37 PM  Show Profile
I meant Asian beetles. Sorry.
http://www.extension.umn.edu/yardandgarden/ygbriefs/e-MAladybeetles.html

see if this is them. :)

Not all those who wander are lost...
www.SarahPauline.com
www.AbraxasBaroque.com
Go to Top of Page

MommaJ9
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Kimberly
Longview Washington
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2009 :  3:10:27 PM  Show Profile
Argh! That is what they are!!! Thank you for the link. They should be slowing down soon...the temps are dropping here and that usually puts an end to their attacks...at least I hope!

Farmgirl #783
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2009 :  12:58:31 PM  Show Profile
This weekend the ones around here moved in. The ceiling in the kitchen (YUCK) seemed to be their favorite spot. Unfortunately, it's still in the mid 60's here in KY, so they're going to keep coming around. As soon as you get every one of them up, it's time for them to come again. I swear I find the little dead guys all year long in little nooks and crannies!

Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2009 :  11:21:34 AM  Show Profile
If these "ladybugs are in all shades of red and orange, they are the dreaded asian ladybug, and not the true one that benifits our gardens.

So far we havn't had our invasion yet. If the weather breaks and it warms up again, we may get plauged too.

Our back doors have been rendered inoperable by me pluggung all the cracks with tissue and paper towels.

An invasion some years ago was the final straw. The stink and ladybug poop all over the walls was the final straw.

These days since I kniw these aren't the kind we need, i whip out the vacuum and don't let up 'till the last one is gone.
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2009 :  11:22:50 AM  Show Profile
Google or do a Bing search on Asian Ladybugs and you;ll be singing a different tune too
Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2009 :  4:36:08 PM  Show Profile
This happens to me, too. Right after we have our first hard frost in come all the lady bugs. You can see them on the back of the house all over the widows, etc. It makes me crazy.

Ruth

Living the farm life in my heart.
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Ruth
http://farmgirlinmyheart.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Laura Marie
True Blue Farmgirl

419 Posts

Laura
Rancho Cordova California
USA
419 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2009 :  10:54:46 PM  Show Profile
I totally just learned something new today. I didn't even realize or think that there are different species that look like ladybugs. I always thought a ladybug was a ladybug. I fortunately don't have this problem, never had. So I got some good pictures of what was going on. I do feel for you gals, and the little invaders. Hopefully it will all be gone soon!
Farm Girl Hugs!

Laura Marie #369
www.lauramariedesign.com
http://countrygirllauramarie.blogspot.com/
"It's not the size of the farm but the size of your heart!"
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2009 :  03:25:28 AM  Show Profile
And if it's not bugs...it's mice!

We have been waging war on mice for the past 2 days. Kind of bad whe you are sitting there in the bathroom and a mouse goes running out from behind the washing machine.

So far we have trapped and kiled 4.

None in traps this a.m. so I think we may have slowed them down a bit.

I love the changing seasons, but when the wildlife starts seeking sjelter in our homes, it can get kind of crazy

We had another warm snap over the weekend.

So far all plugs in the rear french doors have held and we haven't gotten inundated by ladybugs yet. Sad when you can't open the doors for all the paper towels cramed into the crevaces trying to keep the !@# bugs out!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Ladybugs!!!! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page