Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Growing onions Next Topic  

sugarsfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Leah
Woodward Iowa
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2006 :  10:18:01 PM  Show Profile  Send sugarsfarm an AOL message
Last year i tried my hand at growing onions. I thought i did what i was suppose too, but the onions really didnt grow that much. I ended up with tiny little onions, and while they were good and tasty, i wanted bigger ones! So can anyone tell me how to properly grow onions, or what has worked for them, like when i should put them in the ground and what to do after they start sprouting.

Thanks gals!!

You must be the change you want to see in the world.
Mahatma Gandhi

Mari-dahlia
True Blue Farmgirl

269 Posts

Marianne
Hoosick Falls New York
USA
269 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2006 :  04:26:33 AM  Show Profile
I am further north than you are but, onions in this region need to be "sets". Sets are a semi grown onion that you buy at the farm or garden store, you can also get them through the mail. Onions are also regional. More than any other veggie, you need to plant what grows in your area. In Texas, I grew Texas 1015, they are planted on October 15th and grown all winter. That would be impossible here. Here I grow Stuttgarter onions. Onions also hate weeds and feed heavily.
Go to Top of Page

sugarsfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Leah
Woodward Iowa
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2006 :  09:12:37 AM  Show Profile  Send sugarsfarm an AOL message
Thanks Marianne!! so what about the onions that you can buy that are the plants, not the sets, they come in a bunch of around 40. They have them all over in the garden stores around here and thats what i used last year.

You must be the change you want to see in the world.
Mahatma Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2006 :  10:22:30 AM  Show Profile
I've never used onion sets, but I'll bet they'll work really well. Last year I grew a white valencia onion - Utah's "State Onion" (can you believe we have one?!?!), and they did well in a raised bed that was fairly heavily composted (I had a mobile chicken pen on it the year before). I planted them from seed close together, so some of them were misshapen, but with about 1/2-1" of water from a soaker hose weekly, they grew to a good size, and I considered it a success. This year, I'll do a better job of thinning the onions so they grow nice and round. Also, I'm going to be sure to loosen the soil around my seeds so the soil won't hamper their "roundness," either. I did direct seed sowing the end of April around here (zone 5) - it was a pretty mild year here and the light frosts we had after that didn't do any harm.

I hope this helps! They were really good, and I'm sure you can get them to work where you are...

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2006 :  7:15:22 PM  Show Profile
I've always used sets. They work the best for me. I either plant early spring and harvest by late summer or plant mid fall for a early spring harvest. I do the same for garlic.

Anne

"Second star to the right, straight on till morning" Peter Pan
Go to Top of Page

OregonGal
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Chris
No. IL
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2006 :  9:02:22 PM  Show Profile
If you want large bulb onions, plant them shallow and water them once in a while if it doesn't rain. If you want table onions, then plant them deeper and you'll have small green onions for the table. Shallow means no more than an inch or so, or you'll have a slender onion. Good luck!

"...a merry heart does good like a medicine, it has the power to cure."
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2006 :  10:25:54 PM  Show Profile
I got green onion seeds yesterday which I've never done before. When I lived in IL I always used sets too. Can you start the seeds in pots then transplant to the garden?

http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

http://www.homesteadblogger.com/therusticcottage/

http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2006 :  08:37:59 AM  Show Profile
I grow Walla walla onions here and I always start them from seed. You start them pretty early 'cause they take they're time to germ and to grow and than I transplant them into the garden when they're still pretty small. Walla walla onions are big whitish onions that are real mellow and sweet, everyone in this area grows them.

Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com
www.smallsqrl.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

ali2583
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Alison
Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
404 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2006 :  10:56:00 AM  Show Profile
Kay,
I grew green onions from seed last year, and I found that they did great when I just threw them in the ground, and I'm up in Canada, so I don't think you should have any troubles in Washington.

"God's gift to you is life. What you choose to do with that life is your gift to God"
Go to Top of Page

theherblady
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Jan
Glasford Illinois
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2006 :  1:03:46 PM  Show Profile
Leah~ I have always used "sets" You usually find them loose in a barrel at the garden shop ...or can buy a pre-baged bunch at walmart..It is just small onion bulbs and you buy these bulbs by the pound or 1/2 pound etc.(not sure why its called sets)
I think how big they get is partially due to how close you plant them and how deep. I usually use my thumb to just push them into the freshly tilled soil just until you cant see them anymore. Maybe 3-4 inches apart...
Wow- Just thinking about that tilled soil makes me ready to plant!!

Once they start to flower..you need to bend that over and let them continue to grow....But-be sure to dig them up before the stalk is gone completely...or you will have to dig the whole row looking for them!
Jan
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2006 :  2:06:14 PM  Show Profile
i got curious about why an onion set is called an onion set after reading through. i looked up "set" and found this definition: "A seedling, slip, or cutting that is ready for planting." But, i still haven't been able to find where that usage comes from. Maybe because they are ready to "set out" in the garden? Anyone else have a guess? Ahhh, fun with semantics!

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect." -Mark Twain

http://ljrenterprises.blogspot.com/

Edited by - LJRphoto on Mar 27 2006 2:09:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

theherblady
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Jan
Glasford Illinois
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2006 :  07:42:39 AM  Show Profile
Hummmmmm~~Is there anything else called a "set" ...?
Jan
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2006 :  08:53:22 AM  Show Profile
I've read that you can cut the green tops at anytime to use as green onions or scallions, but I know that the plant uses the green tops later in development as energy to actually form the bulb. Is it ok to cut them and eat or not? I've cut a few of them to use but there is still about 2-3 green left on them but I don't want to continue to do this if it's harming the formation of my onions.

I planted my Texas Super Sweet sets in early Feb for my area. In my gardening book it says onions take 35-45 days with sets. I've checked mine and the green tops are growing like crazy but they haven't started to bulb yet. I noticed a few of you posted that you plant in fall for spring onions or spring for late summer onions. This is my first year with onions, so could someone explain this to me? Thanks.

Edited by - lonestargal on Mar 28 2006 08:55:46 AM
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2006 :  10:43:20 AM  Show Profile
May be because they're already set and ready to go?

Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com
www.smallsqrl.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Growing onions Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page