thuffphoto
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

tommie
san angelo tx
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2010 :  4:27:00 PM  Show Profile
Thanks ladies! I love looking at everyones websites and etsy shops- Lady Woodworker- can't wait to see your website.
Go to Top of Page

Oggie
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Ginny
Machias Maine
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2010 :  1:04:08 PM  Show Profile
For us to survive on 60 acres in Maine for the last 28 years, I've had to create my own jobs to be able to be at home when my daughter walked in the door after school. That was my first job, raising her. My hubby & I also owned a Mobile Home Park & an antique shop at our house. He then got a job at the County Jail so we'd have health care. Then we wrote a book on Whitman Children's books & I started selling those books and antiques on AOL (before ebay); once ebay was invented I sold on there. After 17 years of being landlords we shut down the Mobile Home Park.

I was very discouraged about four years ago with ebay, as items wern't selling for good prices anymore. At the same time my daughter begged me to take her pet bunny because she couldn't move him back into a dorm at college. I finally agreed and boy did that change our lives! Did you know bunnies are the third most popular pet in the USA? I didn't either at the time.

I quickly had to learn all about bunnies, started to meet other bunny owners on line and I realized I could sell all of God's good things that are growiwng wild on my 60 acres of land to these bunny owners. So, as silly as it sounds, I sell Bunny Treats! I sell dried apples, blueberries, raspberries, cranberries, pumpkin, pears, along with apple and birch sticks to chew on, various pine cones to chew on, hay, and anything else related to bunnies and it comes from my own back yard! My website is http://www.thedewhopinn.com and it is linked to my etsy shop which is also called The Dew Hop Inn. In a short time I have aquired a lot of customers not only for bunnies but other small pets as well.

Gathering and drying all of these things this past summer has brought me back to my first love of growing herbs and gardening so I am now starting to sell herbs, teas, herbal vinegars & oils & other herbal products along with eggs from our 12 girls. I didn't really seek out to do any of this, but I enjoy it so far! So in November we plowed and roto-tilled a field so that it is ready for spring planting. My plan is to start selling from my own farm stand at the end of my driveway and to sell herbs, flowers, veggies, eggs, and whatever else I can think of. I have a lot of ideas, just not enough time! So the next time you need a bunny gift, think of us and be sure to stop at The Dew Hop Inn!

Ginny
Farmgirl #2343

Life is Beautiful with Bunnies
www.thedewhopinn.com
Go to Top of Page

Peg Graham
True Blue Farmgirl

281 Posts

Peg
Chesapeake Virginia
USA
281 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2010 :  9:55:45 PM  Show Profile
I started a Hand Dyed Yarn Business on Etsy.

miles of smiles~Peg
My Blogs:
http://unforgettable-peggraham.blogspot.com/
http://knitapalooza.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

fudsy
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Pamela
Clark Fork Idaho
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2010 :  08:53:46 AM  Show Profile
One thing I've been racking my brain about is. We own a mobile home park and storage units. We went from 100% full to about 50% in less then 2years and our payments to the bank have not gone down. I keep trying to figure out what else can a person do with storage units for income (no power to them). I don't want to have to try and find an outside job again it took me 6 years to learn to enjoy being a stay at home wife and partner and now I don't want to give that up. I have no other talents really

Farmgirl Sister #1599

Farmgirl Sister #1599

Go to Top of Page

fudsy
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Pamela
Clark Fork Idaho
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2010 :  09:08:06 AM  Show Profile
question for those of you who sell "homemade" breads and foods. Here in Idaho you have to have a "commerical" health inspected kitchen and go through a bunch of hoops. How do you do this in your state?

Farmgirl Sister #1599

Go to Top of Page

Rejena
True Blue Farmgirl

149 Posts

Rejena
WY
USA
149 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2010 :  6:45:59 PM  Show Profile
Hi Pamela,
As part of my "real" job I run a self storage unit as well. We are also losing long-time customers. But, we do get quite a few month to month folks who are moving in or out of homes.

We did do a small ad in the local newspaper to no avail. The internet seems to be where folks are finding us now. Are you in the phonebook? I swear I'm the only one left that uses the phonebook to find someone local that I need to call.

I hope you (and me) have a better 2011 in the storage business.
Best of luck!
Rejena

quote:
Originally posted by fudsy

One thing I've been racking my brain about is. We own a mobile home park and storage units. We went from 100% full to about 50% in less then 2years and our payments to the bank have not gone down. I keep trying to figure out what else can a person do with storage units for income (no power to them). I don't want to have to try and find an outside job again it took me 6 years to learn to enjoy being a stay at home wife and partner and now I don't want to give that up. I have no other talents really

Farmgirl Sister #1599

Farmgirl Sister #1599

www.violetacresfarm.com
"Kid Run Boer Goat Farm"
Go to Top of Page

momdrinkstea
True Blue Farmgirl

180 Posts

Elizabeth
Ozark AL
USA
180 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2011 :  1:32:26 PM  Show Profile
We have a small organic family farm, raising Cornish X chickens for broilers, laying hens for eggs, Khaki Campbell ducks for eggs and Angus mix cattle for beef. We are opening a market in an old carriage house on our farm this spring. We'll be selling eggs & egg-related items, fresh & frozen broiler chickens, signs, farm-themed gifts, herbs, etc. I have a neighbor who'll be selling her craft items. I'm also partnering with a local CSA to add my eggs & chicken to their current offerings of veggies, honey & vinegars. We might be joining the new local farmer's market, too. Word of mouth has worked well for us. Keeps us busy, but it's so much fun! Love the creativity you show, gals!

Q: Why did the chicken cross the road? A: To prove to the opossum that it could be done!

Stacked Stone Farm www.stackedstonefarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Marcia30
True Blue Farmgirl

159 Posts

Marcia
Mt. Carmel IL
USA
159 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2011 :  3:48:24 PM  Show Profile
I don't know if anyone read my other posting but i am selling pampered chef and i am in need of some orders. SO if anyone can help me out that would be great.

I am ready for the warm weather. Bring it on. I am so tired of bein cooped up in the house!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2011 :  4:24:25 PM  Show Profile
I started a home-based tea business with a website last May. It really started to take off in November. I sell loose leaf tea and eco-freindly gift boxes. Locally I do in home cuppings,(tea tastings), which is really fun. As the tea is tasted, I give information and facts. I have actually made tea drinkers out of staunch coffee drinkers.
I never had to work outside the home till recently, so this is a huge step for me, but I am really enjoying it and have great people surrounding me.
I will also be selling handmade wares on an Etsy type shop that was started by one of our own farmgirls, Patti Long. I am looking forward to having creative outlet as well as my tea biz. I also will be subbing at a local Christian school soon.
I am having a give away for my website you can check it out here. http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=47610

www.turnerhilltea.com

I wear my cape around my waist.

http://myfeetaredirty.blogspot.com

http://www.turnerhilltea.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Julia on Jan 10 2011 4:26:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

Josmt
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

Marylisa
Alexandria Va
USA
5 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2011 :  6:27:19 PM  Show Profile
My husband and I own a restaurant called FireFlies. We worked side-by-side until we started a family. Now, he runs the restaurant (and has another business as well) and I nanny my brother's 2 kids. I have LOTS of ideas for an etsy shop...but with our kids, the restaurant, and working full-time, there just isn't time. W are moving out into the country this summer though.. And then I get to have my garden, time to work on projects. I can't wait!!

www.firefliesdelray.com

Forgive any silly questions, I am a city girl soon-to-be a country gal.
Go to Top of Page

Jill Adams
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Jill
Yakima WA
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2011 :  6:57:44 PM  Show Profile  Send Jill Adams a Yahoo! Message
Go to Top of Page

Jill Adams
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Jill
Yakima WA
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2011 :  7:02:22 PM  Show Profile  Send Jill Adams a Yahoo! Message

I started a small home Biz breeding Hedgehogs. It's been a slow start because I didn't have much money to get started. I also breed mice for a pet store. That doesn't make that much but it's fun.
Go to Top of Page

yasmine
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

yasmine
wappingers falls ny
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2011 :  10:45:58 AM  Show Profile
we do gutters!!
Go to Top of Page

karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2011 :  10:59:56 AM  Show Profile
How cool is that! I just contacted a guy who wants to buy rabbits. I told him it was too cold to breed them right now but he said give him a call when I have some. He is opening a pet store.

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

http://rua2j-grammysheirlooms.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1480 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1480 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2011 :  7:00:53 PM  Show Profile
Wow, you girls have some really cool jobs. I am a landscape designer and project manager. I work with my parents in our family owned design/build landscape firm that my Dad and Grandpa started in 1955. We do residential and commercial work. I love my job because I get to do something different every day - estimating, surveying, drawing, equipment operation, carpentry, planting, irrigation, maintenance, etc. I'm a very hands on type of person so the process of working with clients from the first visit through to the completed job is very rewarding.

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

Sandy Fields
True Blue Farmgirl

165 Posts

Sandy
Portales NM
165 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2011 :  7:17:45 PM  Show Profile
What a great read!! All these wonderful jobs.
We own a construction company, Field Day Inc. Since our last name is Fields... we thought we'd give our company a fun name. Mainly we build custom homes in Eastern New Mexico. Our own home is lots of fun... a big red barn. I love writing about the simple pleasures in life, and all the wonderful times we have here at the barn. I used to work on the job-sites all the time. Now I'm quite pampered doing all the paperwork in my cozy home office.

Sandy

Love writing about "My Field Days"
www.field-days.com
Go to Top of Page

theoldecrone
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Amy
Denver Colorado
8 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2011 :  07:57:10 AM  Show Profile
I own a soap company. We do retail and private label soaps, lip balms, sugar scrubs, and the like.

Here's that site: www.soapcrone.com

I also write and publish ebook tutorials. That site is in my signature.

Amy Kalinchuk
Author, Making Soap in Your Own Kitchen
http://www.crafte-revolution.com
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2011 :  09:30:10 AM  Show Profile
Jill, I love hedgehogs! I have always said I want one to roam my garden like they do in England. I didn't know there were breeders in the States. What fun for you!!

I wear my cape around my waist.

http://myfeetaredirty.blogspot.com

http://www.turnerhilltea.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

HollyMaker
True Blue Farmgirl

84 Posts

Holly
CA
USA
84 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2011 :  8:36:49 PM  Show Profile
Wow! Everyone has such interesting jobs/businesses. A Hedgehog Breeder! That just sounds so neat. One of my younger brothers had one and just adored her.

I sell environmentally friendly bath and body products, home cleaning supplies, baby products and super cute reusable items too (bamboo utensils, shopping bags, etc.). Soon, natural makeup and shampoo & conditioner will be added. I really love the products and love the fact that I know exactly what I am putting on my body.

http://www.chartreuseproducts.com/hlennon.html

Edited by - HollyMaker on Feb 10 2011 8:39:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2011 :  07:08:01 AM  Show Profile
Wow-so many sites to check out!

Go to Top of Page

countrygrace
True Blue Farmgirl

1181 Posts

Grace
Salkum WA
USA
1181 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2011 :  4:26:19 PM  Show Profile
Hi Karla,
My husband & I sew, we make everything we sell for our cottage business we have.
From Traditional aprons, hotpads, floursack dishtowels, placemats & many other items. We live on a very small farm, with pygmy goats, 1 Jersey cow, several laying hens and our large garden.
Thanks for asking, Grace

http://home.earthlink.net/~daveandgrace/
"From Our Heart With Our Hands"

For quality handmade gifts at reasonable prices
Please recommend us to your Family & Friends.

Go to Top of Page

earth mama
Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

Anna
Hendersonville TN
USA
39 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2011 :  9:02:52 PM  Show Profile
What a fun thread! so many cool ideas out there :-)

I'm a photographer and web-designer, started my own business about a year and a half ago now, and it's going pretty well! You can see my work at http://dailyikon.com

http://wayfaringartist.com
Go to Top of Page

karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2011 :  07:31:10 AM  Show Profile
Grace, where do you sell your items? Do you do flea markets or just at home?? Just curious cause I sew also but am stumped on where?!?

Go to Top of Page

shampoo bar lady
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Kathleen
Pullman WA
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2011 :  3:22:46 PM  Show Profile
Hi Karla,

We have three family businesses. My oldest son started a computer repair service out of our living room (10 years ago, just recently outgrew it and moved to his own place). My other two sons started a lawncare/sprinkler business. I had to "man" the phones for their businesses while they were out working, so I started making soap. I bring it to the Farmer's Market in Moscow, ID and have built up my business so that it helps out a bit with food, etc. My favorite item are my shampoo bars. I also sell online at www.sumptuoussoaps.com Most of my online customers are those I have met and talked to when they stopped at the Market in Idaho.

pure & natural
Go to Top of Page

marjean
True Blue Farmgirl

3851 Posts

Marsha
Deltona FL
USA
3851 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2011 :  4:29:21 PM  Show Profile
Hey Farm Girls,
If you want a great place to sell your work or product, then check out my Sunshine Farmgirl Co-op. I will share great tips with you on how to grow your sales and so much more.

I just started an affiliate program and coming next month a lead generation program for those who sell a product.

Just email me and I'll forward you all the details. It is very affordable and if you sign up as a vendor you get all the perks for free like the two programs I just mentioned along with your vendor membership.

To join as a shopping member go to www.sunshinefarmgirlcoop.com click on the Country Cents General Store and then register on the top right.

I'm having a membership drive too you can read about under this thread and keeping in touch.

Farmgirl sister #308
handmade cards, vintage organizer bags and more at www.jeanpatchbymk.etsy.com
http://jeanpatch.blogspot.com
www.fullerdirect.com
id#0920150
www.watkinsonline.com/rjaramillo
www.sunshinefarmgirlcoop.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic What is everyone's business? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page