Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Nifty Thrifty
 Repurposing...what have you done lately?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic Repurposing...what have you done lately? Next Topic
Page: of 21

Madinet85
True Blue Farmgirl

94 Posts

Elizabeth
Indiana
USA
94 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2013 :  2:28:37 PM  Show Profile
I've been wanting reusable produce bags for little while. While I was unpacking my groceries yesterday, I looked at the bag my sweet potatoes came in and a light bulb when off. I just hemmed the bag on my sewing machine with a zig zag stitch, then ran a piece of yarn through to be a drawstring. Voila, a reusable bag for my produce so I can use less of the ones at the store.

Sister #4915
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2013 :  3:15:44 PM  Show Profile
Very clever, Elizabeth. Great idea, very useful and renewable.

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2013 :  4:29:51 PM  Show Profile
Great idea, Elizabeth!

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

neeter302
True Blue Farmgirl

257 Posts

Anita
Hanover Indiana
USA
257 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2013 :  10:05:33 AM  Show Profile
Nicole Pinterest is so addictive! I never cease to be inspired by all the creativity. I found a pretty vintage halter maxi dress from the 70's in excellent condition in a colorful patchwork print. My intention was to sell on Ebay to make a few $$ but as luck would have it right as I finished the listing I was folding it up and noticed a dime-sized hole I hadn't noticed before. I didn't want to sell it damaged like that and was very disappointed. Looking it over I thought what a shame it's in such great shape other than the darn hole in the side that just couldn't be repaired without being noticable. Then it dawned on me I could make an apron out of it and just cut off the damaged section. Actually with it being a long maxi dress I can make a full apron from the top half and another half apron from the bottom part. I have to tell you sisters if it weren't for all the inspiration you folks have blessed me with and the desire to reuse and repurpose a few years ago it would've just been thrown away. The farmgirl sisterhood has helped me get back to my roots and inspire me to take a hard look at what can be done with something that may have a flaw that can still be used in a new and wonderful way. BTW I LOVE your little pink bag! So sweet :-)

Farmgirl #522
Go to Top of Page

patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2013 :  1:10:02 PM  Show Profile
Nice idea, Elizabeth.

Success is measured not by the position one reaches but by the obstacles one has to overcome to reach it. Booker T. Washington

My blog, The Review-anista Reads http://friendsfunfabric.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

neeter302
True Blue Farmgirl

257 Posts

Anita
Hanover Indiana
USA
257 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2013 :  07:44:23 AM  Show Profile
Brenda LOVE your repurpose idea with the Altoids box. I hope I can get these aprons done and don't leave this sitting in a pile forever. Hard to find time to finish projects but I have good intentions! I like the jeweltones and the butterflies and flowers of this vintage fabric.

Farmgirl #522

Edited by - neeter302 on May 12 2013 5:21:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - May 09 2013 :  08:15:32 AM  Show Profile
I thought this was so clever. One of my knitting students (she is just the neatest lady) came in to my class with a little "present" for me. Apparently she is very allergic to something and must carry multiple EPI-pens with her. The hard plastic, lift-top case they come in is the perfect size and shape for storing multiple crochet hooks! It fits right in my little accessories case, and makes it easy to grab a hook when I drop a stitch.

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155

Go to Top of Page

neeter302
True Blue Farmgirl

257 Posts

Anita
Hanover Indiana
USA
257 Posts

Posted - May 10 2013 :  05:45:04 AM  Show Profile
Oh my gosh thanks Nicole, my hubby has to carry those and I never thought of that!

Farmgirl #522
Go to Top of Page

Cissik
True Blue Farmgirl

578 Posts

Sylvia
Kent WA
USA
578 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2013 :  11:26:57 AM  Show Profile
I bought a couple of years ago some half gallon canning jars. Made some refrigerator pickles and pickled onions. I managed to eat up the pickled onions in time but we couldn't down all the pickles. So I did much smaller jars this year and for some reason, they're being eaten up. So.....it occurred to me to use the half gallon jar for ice tea and lemonade. Our pitchers are big, wide and plastic that hold two quarts. This jar is tall, doesn't become really heavy and even the grandkids are able to handle it and pour! My daughter observed all this and wanted one of my jars, too, to use as a pitcher. It sure does take up less space in the fridge. Love it. I'm all about repurposing canning jars. Have tons of them. Some are still used for canning.

Sylvia
Kent, WA
Farm Girl #5389
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2013 :  10:33:09 AM  Show Profile
Great idea, Sylvia! And the lid on the canning jar will keep the inside contents fresh. I just love jars and repurposing them. I will look for a big one now to replace my iced tea pitcher. It takes up a lot room.

Anita, how did your apron come out? Did you finish it from the maxi dress yet?

Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155

Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2013 :  7:03:53 PM  Show Profile
My bathroom is dark and only big enough for a shower stall. I use see through plastic shower curtains cut to size from a standard shower curtain. Well I needed a new clothes pin bag. So I took a pretty floral fabric and sewed a shower curtain remenent to the fabric, sewed my clothes hanger inside the top and sewed up the sides to form the bag. The shower curtain provides strength to the fabric and protects it from weather and lets the pretty fabric show through. I hang it from a clothes line separator and roll it around my nonpully clothes line.

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2013 :  6:41:11 PM  Show Profile
Lorena, just saw your post. Great idea.

My dh has a set of "winter" car mats he doesn't use. They are rubber and he just prefers the carpet ones all year long. I used them in the basement. One by the door next to the garage where leaves and dirt from the outside come in, another one after that as a "trail" to the door to the house, one on the inside of the door in the basement. Traps dirt and mud, easy to clean, non-slip (especially when it is wet and on the concrete and tile). They are thin enough the doors go right over and they don't slip around. Repurposed.

Farmgirl hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13556 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13556 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2013 :  6:06:01 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
I need to replace the plastic shower liner from time to time but it gets repurposed as a cover for our metal firepit on the deck. I fold it in quarters which is the right size and also gives 4 layers. The size and construction of the firepit with the rack and screen cover work perfectly together to keep the inside of the firepit dry from rain & snow and keep it from getting leaves and other junk from blowing in it. Just hung a new liner in the shower and gave the firepit a new cover today!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com

Edited by - ceejay48 on Nov 15 2013 07:21:19 AM
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2013 :  07:10:03 AM  Show Profile
Great idea, CJ!

Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155

Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2013 :  08:49:51 AM  Show Profile
Great idea Miss CJ :)

Farmgirl Sister #5392

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon

http://amerryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Lavender Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

1979 Posts

Brenda
Jackson MI
USA
1979 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2013 :  4:56:13 PM  Show Profile
My sister gave me a McCoy mixing bowl she has had for 35 years. She chipped the edge of it a little and decided not to use it for food anymore.

I remember seeing Rachel Ray use bowls for scraps when she's cooking. She calls them garbage bowls. Well I decided to use it for sewing scraps. It is real easy to drop in the scraps and threads and empty into the waste basket when full. It looks decorative on the table too.

Lavender Rose

Each day we add to our legacy-good or bad. Our Daily Bread

Edited by - Lavender Rose on Nov 15 2013 4:56:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2013 :  6:56:28 PM  Show Profile
Brenda! What a brilliant idea! I will put a pretty bowl in my sewing room too! Inspiration! Thanks for sharing.

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155

Go to Top of Page

Lavender Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

1979 Posts

Brenda
Jackson MI
USA
1979 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2013 :  4:38:00 PM  Show Profile
You are welcome Nicole.

Lavender Rose

Each day we add to our legacy-good or bad. Our Daily Bread
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2013 :  2:15:50 PM  Show Profile
I love that idea Brenda :) Too cute!

Farmgirl Sister #5392

~Sharon

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2013 :  5:07:35 PM  Show Profile
I live in a large city and like to scavenge in and around the dumpsters. I don't jump in there. I just see what is inside and if I can't reach it with a stick, I leave it there.

The streets and alleys also have stuff lying around which is useful. Last week I found this zipper pouch that once held a twin sheet set. I love these because the plastic is strong, the zipper keeps it closed and it has a pocket big enough for a card. I have several of these to keep my in progress projects organized.

Marie, Sister #5142

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2013 :  06:18:28 AM  Show Profile
I did a ceiling fan redo and used a floor fan cage in place of the globe. I am loving the industrial look! You can see on my blog just how I did this. http://ladygonegreen.blogspot.com/2013/11/diy-ceiling-fan-light-redo.html

Patty #1840

http://ladygonegreen.blogspot.com/

A rind is a terrible thing to waste. Compost.

When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.”
-Jesus in John 6:12 NIV Bible
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2013 :  06:40:21 AM  Show Profile
Patty , that is so cool! Great idea :)

Farmgirl Sister #5392

~Sharon

Go to Top of Page

mlhancock
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Monica
Hallettsville Texas
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2014 :  11:09:37 AM  Show Profile
Just wanted to share Bri, my 11 year old daughter's, latest project. She has turned our old cattle trailer into a clubhouse for her and her friends. She is using anything she could possibly find to fix it up. Pallets for a porch, leftover fabric for drapery, an old broken rocking chair bottom for a table, the back of another rocking chair as wall art, old lattice from a torn down home as a roof and arbor, etc. She even rescued some Chamomile plants that were being pulled up from a garden to plant in a pot on her porch. I am so proud of her.

MLH
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2014 :  11:12:14 AM  Show Profile
Wow! This is really resourceful. I can tell she is a smart young lady.

Marie, Sister #5142

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

Bart
True Blue Farmgirl

115 Posts

115 Posts

Posted - May 14 2014 :  07:47:51 AM  Show Profile
I recently took an old dresser (5 drawer)and made it into a 2 story dollhouse with a drawer for storage; removed 4 drawers and put in a board half way where the drawers were. Painted it bubble gum pink, painted the bottom drawer (which I left in for doll storage) with black chalk paint.
Lined the "walls" with wallpaper samples, put in flooring - carpet in the living & bedroom and paper with gloss modge podge for the kitchen & bathroom.
put shelves in the kitchen with a bar counter and "stools" (drawer pulls with a button on top),
dresser in the bedroom (matchboxes stacked, wrapped and painted)
toilet from a gum container - lid even opens LOL
bed, couch, chair from pringles can, swinging chair from the bottom of a POM bottle, etc.
Fun!! cheap and used to the max.. Love It.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 21 Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic Repurposing...what have you done lately? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page