Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Nifty Thrifty
 Repurposing...what have you done lately?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic Repurposing...what have you done lately? Next Topic
Page: of 21

Shery Jespersen
True Blue Farmgirl

115 Posts

Shery
Upton Wyoming
USA
115 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2010 :  05:22:39 AM  Show Profile
On my MaryJanesFarm 'ranch farmgirl' blog, there are about 3 of my postings that have to do with re-purposing...including the most recent blog-post. Annika, I would love to see your new coop. Have you photos. Mine is done now, but I'm still 'tricking it out' with painting and antique goodie add-ons.
Shery Jespersen

Farmgirl Sister #753
Ranch Farmgirl http://rfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org
My Blog http://reataroseranch.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

shunger
True Blue Farmgirl

224 Posts

Suzanne
Helena MT
USA
224 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2010 :  2:26:29 PM  Show Profile
I am using a 50's style individual gelatin mold to make a pinkeeper for my dear friend's birthday. I'm using scraps of fabric that she and I bought on a special trip to see my mother in "Arizona. We had such fun just the two of us. My wonderful husband spray painted the mold to look like pewter and not copper. I got the mold and several others at an estate sale where I also got some terrific apron fabric.
Go to Top of Page

Equusfriend
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

Deborah
Keystone Heights FL
18 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2010 :  08:32:44 AM  Show Profile
I DID MY TACK/FEED ROOM WITH ALL REPURPOSED THINGS- A THIN VERTICAL SHELF UNIT THROWN OUT- I INSTALLED IT HORIZONALLY NOW EA HORSE HAS A "CUBBY" IN EA CUBBY IS A PAINTED = DECORATED TUNA CAN SCREWED ON TO HOLD THE BRIDLE (NO FOLD MARKS ON BRIDLE). SOME OF OUR OAK TREES WER CUT DOWN FOR PASTURE, BUT I SAVED SOME OF THE BRANCHES WITH V'S AND CUT, SANDED AND VARNISHED- THEY MADE HOOKS. THEY ARE SCREWED TO THE WALL AND HOLD HALTERS, LEADS, PITCHFORK ETC. I MADE "TOTE BAGS" OUT OF RECYCLED DENIM AND THEY HOLD TACK CLEANING SUP'S, GROOMING SUPPLIES AND FIRST AID SUPPLIES.
THEY HANG ON THE OAK HOOKS. ON THE CLAY FLOOR, I USE AN OLD PIECE OF CARPET, TURNED UPSIDE DOWN. THE BACK MAKES THE FLOOR EASY TO SWEEP WITH A BROOM. I USED OLD WOOD TO MAKE A "LADDER" TO HOLD SADDLE PADS. FOUND A USED SADDLE RACK FOR $5. USING AN OLD TIRE TO KEEP THE GRAIN FEEDING BUCKET FROM BEING TURNED OVER. USING 55 GALLON PLASTIC BARRELS CUT IN HALF TO HOLD DRINKING WATER FOR HORSES. IT WAS FUN DESIGNING ALL THIS!! LOL

Change your thoughts and change the world!
Go to Top of Page

shunger
True Blue Farmgirl

224 Posts

Suzanne
Helena MT
USA
224 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2010 :  7:42:19 PM  Show Profile
I would like the challenge of designing something like a room out of repurposed things. I'll have to keep thinking of that. Sounds great Deborah.
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2010 :  05:34:19 AM  Show Profile
I have been looking for an economical way to make a "starter" compost pile. Yesterday I cut the bottom off of a big, plastic trash can. I buried the cut-off end 1/4 way down and started my compost bin! It isn't too tall for me to get down in there with a pitch fork to turn.

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2010 :  05:51:15 AM  Show Profile
I got ahold of an old display shelf unit from our local hardware store when it changed owners. It used to hold paint cans for sale, now it holds jars of homemade jelly and tomato sauce for my family. I am hopin as they continue to redo the store I'll be able to get a few more shelves.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

JenniferJuniper
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Jennifer
New Hampshire
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2010 :  7:51:35 PM  Show Profile
I bought some new earth-friendly shampoo and conditioner because it smelled wonderful but sadly was all wrong for my hair, left it really limp. So I had to switch back to my old brand but instead of tossing the other am using the shampoo as a body wash and conditioner as shave cream.

Farmgirl Sister #204
Go to Top of Page

shunger
True Blue Farmgirl

224 Posts

Suzanne
Helena MT
USA
224 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2010 :  10:29:42 AM  Show Profile
We bought mulch for our outside sitting area that is made of recycled truck tires. Suzanne
Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2010 :  06:23:11 AM  Show Profile
My DH goes through a pair of work boots every 6 months. I couldn't give them to the Goodwill (ick) and I hate putting them in the landfill. So I decided to use them as flowerpots. I filled them with dirt (having the shoe laces only slightly pulled together) then I stuffed them with Hen-n-Chick babies. They love it in those old boots and the boots look so cute "walking" down the garden path.

Debbie

"If you can't find the time to do it right...how will you find the time to do it over"
Go to Top of Page

patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2010 :  06:47:53 AM  Show Profile
What creative ideas everyone has!

We used old tires, stacked three-deep for Strawberry planters, they are the only ones the deer didn't forage on. An old weathervane is used for a stake for a tomato plant. It's rather attractive, too. Old deer fencing and stakes are trellising for the pole beans and morning glories. an old iron porch rail makes an attractive ladder for the climbing rose.

Judy

Success is measured not by the position one reaches but by the obstacles one has to overcome to reach it. Booker T. Washington
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2010 :  6:06:02 PM  Show Profile
I was darning socks and couldn't fine the darning egg (the wooden one you wrap the sock around). I used an old baby rattle. It worked great. Bonnie

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

momdrinkstea
True Blue Farmgirl

180 Posts

Elizabeth
Ozark AL
USA
180 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2010 :  8:56:37 PM  Show Profile
I dump leftover shampoo, dish soap, hand soap, etc. (bottles that
have a little bit left) into an empty laundry detergent bottle. I use this "mix" for washing up things outside, like patio furniture, grill, dog dishes, chicken feeders, kids, etc.
Helps me to get rid of those numerous "almost gone" bottles and clutter!
I use empty wine bottles for glass "waterers" for potted plants - filled with water,
they work just like those bulb waterers you see for sale.
I paint small wood pieces of furniture the same color, and stack them to make "tall"
pieces - ex. bench on bottom, crates on top or desk on bottom, small bookshelf on top.
The color makes them look like one piece!
Cheap & easy! Like me! LOL

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." -Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2010 :  10:05:54 PM  Show Profile
We came across an old picnic table for free because the bench on one side had rusted off. We put it up agianst our deck railing and it is the perfect length to sit 5 people and the rail keeps it stable. We have been lookin for a way to get extra seatin on the deck, now we have it! I also use an old picnic basket to store the table clothes for the deck in. All 5 fit in the basket and it can be used to carry condiments and plates and stuff once the clothes are on the tables!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2010 :  4:04:44 PM  Show Profile
My "starter" compost pile is doing well. For under the sink, I keep a lidded, plastic, empty coffee can for all my scraps, and then empty it every couple of days.

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16962 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16962 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2010 :  9:48:44 PM  Show Profile
What a great thread....and what great ideas....
Take a peek at my blog to see what I did with some old glass globes.....
I love re-purposing.

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom.
"Is it time for my Dirt Manicure yet!"

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://www.graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

csmartyonline
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Carole
Clarksville TN
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2010 :  12:55:46 PM  Show Profile
Hey, you can even recycle old dryer lint into a bird's nest. I stuff the lint into one of those mesh bags that lemons come in at the grocery and when full, hang it outside in a tree or under the carport or in some other easily accessible location in the Spring. The birds will come and get it to use as nesting material. I love birds!

Carole :-)
Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2010 :  06:24:49 AM  Show Profile
Kris, that is a good one. Always looking for ideas on how to get the fire going with the least hassle.

CMF
Go to Top of Page

patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2010 :  06:45:12 AM  Show Profile
Carole,

Like the idea of dryer lint for the nests in spring. I'm always looking for ways to attract more birds. Judy

Success is measured not by the position one reaches but by the obstacles one has to overcome to reach it. Booker T. Washington
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2010 :  6:00:44 PM  Show Profile
I love the last two ideas! I think I will also put some of my leftover knitting yarn in the lemon bag, too, for the birds.

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
Go to Top of Page

lulu
True Blue Farmgirl

240 Posts

Connie
Geuda Springs Kansas
USA
240 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2010 :  7:20:29 PM  Show Profile
Well girls I maybe down , but I'm still able to get to the sewing machine. I sprained my right leg and I've been in the hospital and respit care for physical therapy. It's been along 3 weeks but I'm doing better than the doctor thought I would, I'm still getting physical therapy at home, can't drive yet and I'm pretty much house bound. But I can sew! I needed some thin ice packs and was told I could get them at Walmart but can't get to town so went to the scrap bag got material needed and made myself 2 pouches to hold the ice packs ( zip lock bags with dish cloths fold in fourths wet them down and put them in the ziplock bags and into the freezer) when I need them I pop them into the pouches and run the straps around my leg and fasten with a couple of safety pins. No cost as I had everything at home to make them.

LULU
farmgirl sister #1369
"Scattered Prairie Gals" chapter

Take care and write soon.
When you wish upon a star...Jiminy Cricket
Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2010 :  7:28:22 PM  Show Profile
Good Job Lulu. Having lived out in bush Alaska for many years, my family learned that one has to use their brain to keep things going.

CMF
Go to Top of Page

Leilaht
True Blue Farmgirl

155 Posts

Elizabeth
Highland MI
USA
155 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2010 :  11:52:44 AM  Show Profile
I just made a bag from an old pair of jeans for a lady at work. You can see it at my blog.
http://welcometomyworld-leilaht.blogspot.com/2010/09/bag-from-old-jeans.html

We always leave the hair from the dog's brush out for the birds.

Liz

Strength and honor are her clothing; and she shall rejoice in time to come.

Proverbs 31:25
Go to Top of Page

MasterGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

Chandra
Louisiana
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2010 :  1:34:30 PM  Show Profile  Send MasterGardener a Yahoo! Message
Hurricane Lily took out our garage and did severe damage to a shed we had, so...in the years since Lily, we've dismantled the barn and shed, both old-growth cypress; it's still waiting for it's new purpose. The planks that were facia boards on the shed were cut to make raised beds for the kitchen garden. But the biggest repurpose was bringing a shipping container onto the property to house all the lawn equipment, DH's power tools, all the overflow from our house (no storage, only one closet) so...DH received the container as payment for something, and they guy even painted it for us. It's turned out to be a very secure and purposeful storage area.

Say to them, may the Lord bless you and protect you, May the Lord smile upon you and be gracious to you. May the Lord show you His favor and give you His peace. (Numbers 6:23-26)

.• ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.•´ .•´¨¨))
((¸¸.•´ ..• -:¦:- -:¦:- Chandra
-:¦:- ((¸¸.•´Farmgirl Sister #64

Go to Top of Page

neeter302
True Blue Farmgirl

257 Posts

Anita
Hanover Indiana
USA
257 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2010 :  4:57:56 PM  Show Profile
What a great post. I just bought several 100% wool sweaters from thrift stores with the intention of repurposing them into several different items. I got so many ideas from the internet. If you have old woolen sweaters you wouldn't even have to buy any. Last year I made a wool basket to hold skeins of yarn, you can make everything from mittens, hats & scarves, leg/arm warmers, doggie sweaters, pillows, coasters, placemats, throws, tote bags/purses,the list goes on & on, I plan to do some seasonal themed items, and I found the cutest stuffed owl pillow idea. Possibilities are endless, if you have wool sweaters that no longer fit, outdated, or damaged, wash & felt it in a hot dryer and make something fun and useful from it.
Go to Top of Page

lulu
True Blue Farmgirl

240 Posts

Connie
Geuda Springs Kansas
USA
240 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2010 :  8:19:44 PM  Show Profile
Anita, How do you do this? Do you have direction or a pattern? I accidently felted a vest and I've been trying to think what I could do with it now.
Connie

LULU
farmgirl sister #1369
"Scattered Prairie Gals" chapter

Take care and write soon.
When you wish upon a star...Jiminy Cricket
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 21 Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic Repurposing...what have you done lately? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page