Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Nifty Thrifty
 Repurposing...what have you done lately?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic Repurposing...what have you done lately? Next Topic
Page: of 21

pinkwitchy~farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

230 Posts

Beverly
Lee's Summit MO
USA
230 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2011 :  6:28:19 PM  Show Profile
Molly, that is too CUTE!!!.....so is the dress :)

Farmgirl Sister 1575* * * It is often the bend in the road that makes life worth the drive * * *
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2011 :  05:36:59 AM  Show Profile
I love the lint idea. I have been collecting it in an empty tissue box above my dryer. Now I have a use for it. Thank you for the wonderful idea.

Nancy

Farmgrl Sister #2301

Live everyday to the fullest
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2011 :  7:07:53 PM  Show Profile
The dress is adorable..what a great idea! And, the model aught to be in pictures..besides this one!

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

DebbieSue
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

Debbie
TX
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2011 :  7:14:10 PM  Show Profile
That is the sweetest little gal.....!!! I like your idea of making use of the shirts too!
Go to Top of Page

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2011 :  5:33:18 PM  Show Profile
Thanks ladies! I've been looking at everything in a different way all of a sudden, and bringing home the most random styles of clothes from yard sales and such because I'm seeing it as just fabric now. Even clearance clothes at walmart in XXXXL sizes can be made into adorable stuff for me or my kids!

Nancy, I like the idea of using a tissue box right by my dryer for lint!

"The ideal equestrian has the courage of a lion, the patience of a saint, and the hands of a woman."
Go to Top of Page

TansyShy
True Blue Farmgirl

100 Posts

Joanna
Wasilla AK
USA
100 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2011 :  08:33:50 AM  Show Profile  Send TansyShy an AOL message  Click to see TansyShy's MSN Messenger address  Send TansyShy a Yahoo! Message
I recently took an old tin can from a soup can and made a pencil holder out of it. Okay really its to hold markers and paint brushes. I ran out of room in my other pencil/ pen holder for the markers and they were getting lost.

Joanna

Farm girl Sister #907

http://joannasmusings.blogspot.com/

Crayola skies for a thousand miles.
~Charmed Life~
Uptown Girls Soundtrack

Edited by - TansyShy on Feb 26 2011 08:36:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2011 :  2:08:35 PM  Show Profile
So many great ideas! I love your little trees, Beverly. This has been so much fun to read...

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page

akaGraysonne
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

1 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2011 :  06:05:03 AM  Show Profile
Trying to eliminate the "stuff" in storage and eliminate the extra cost per month, so it's time to be firm.

Two old saddles- what to do? They were my husband's favorites and held many memories- can't throw them away. I took them to a man who worked on restoring leather and he soaked them and then oiled them for three weeks. They look great, but can never be used because the leather is too old and brittle. He told me how to keep them looking nice (rub down with olive oil), and I have them both on wooden sawhorses in the living room (I moved the couch to the game-room and have three chairs now). Et Voila- when the two year old grand-daughter comes over, she has two "horses" to choose from. They go with the decor (hunting/western theme).

My husband sees them every day and it makes him happy, too.

Well, two items down, a few more miscellaneous to "repurpose" . . .

You're never too old to start over.
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2011 :  05:29:43 AM  Show Profile
Molly, precious!! Love the dress and your daughter is adorable. Joanne, love the can you did, going to use that idea and I am going to try to take a large juice can and make a knitting needle holder for my sewing room.

Keep the ideas coming! So many neat things to do here.

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE

http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

Cibola
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Remi
Ellensburg Washington
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2011 :  5:29:07 PM  Show Profile
I love the ideas Iam getting from reading all your creative ladies! The pictures are fun to see too. Keep the ideas coming.

Farmgirl: Cibola
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2011 :  06:41:14 AM  Show Profile
We just made a potato tower out of out of old pallets. I tried using a barrel last year but felt like they didn't get enough sun while they were low in the barrel. We will add pallet boards as they grow and we fill the tower. When I need new potatoes I can remove a lower board and harvest enough for dinner leaving the rest to grow! Wish me a bountiful harvest please!

My favorite repurpose is an old tin stacked lunch bucket. It has 5 layers and a handle that swings up to hold it all together. I use it to hold the different colored wool strips I use for a hooked rug. It is portable and closes securely. I love the way it looks sitting next to my hooking chair.

Thanks for the inspiration in all your posts!
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2011 :  07:47:39 AM  Show Profile
Connie - I love the potato tower out of pallets idea - think I am going to try that this year!

"Be the change you wish to see in the world" ~Gandhi

farmgirl sister #2822

embchicken.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2011 :  1:06:45 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
I was the lucky recipient of Beverly's tree and I love it. I'm leaving it out all year. It sits on one of my ledges. Thanks again Beverly!

Molly, your daughter is so cute and the dress adorable! What a great idea.

Be Blessed,
Darlene
Sister 1922

God first, everything else after!

When Satan's knocking at your door, just say "Jesus will you get that for me?"

Go to Top of Page

Renee C
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

renee
tustin michigan
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2011 :  11:31:23 AM  Show Profile
I have a great idea for your garden, at the end of voting season in your area. Gather by permission the political signs that stick in the ground. Remove the signage and keep the metal portion. You have the perfect row covers for your garden, plunk them over a row, cover with plastic and secure! It's the only thing I look forward to about voting season!
Happy gardening!
Renee C
Northern Mighigan

A good life.
Go to Top of Page

CurlysQuilts
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Sarah
Northeast Kingdom VT
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2011 :  6:19:16 PM  Show Profile
For Christmas last year I got a whole bunch of new Pampered Chef Bamboo spoons for cooking, so I got rid of my cheapy plastic ones I got when we were first married, along with a few of my super old wooden ones (ones that were chipped and such). What to do with them? Well, I reconsiled myself to give them to my local swap shop, but for some reason my DH put them out in my gardening area. So when I got out there to start my seeds this weekend, I decided to write my plant varieties on the spoon part and stick the handles in the ground. Instant row markers! :)

Curly's Quilts
www.curlysquilts.etsy.com

“He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.” - Micah 6:8

Go to Top of Page

chickenladycris
True Blue Farmgirl

77 Posts

Cris
Prairie Farm WI
USA
77 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2011 :  2:42:37 PM  Show Profile
Since it is seed-starting season here in the north, I reuse the plastic containers that hold grapes and organic lettuce mixes as mini-greenhouses. After putting my peat pot with starter mix and seeds in it, I water them down, tuck the lid over, and put it in my indoor greenhouse set up with lights. The new seeds stay moist, and under the lights the container gets toasty warm. I find my seeds germinate much sooner, and stay healthy, too! I've done similar things with plastic bottles with the bottoms chopped off (slide over peat pots) and large glass jars. Cardboard egg cartons work well for mass seed-starting--fill with seed starting mix, sprinkle on your tiny seeds, water lightly, and tuck into a plastic bag. Loosely close the end of the bag, and park in a warm spot. Once the seeds germinate and seedlings develop a couple of leaves, be sure to take the plastic bag off so that too much moisture doesn't create mold or rot issues.

"A farmgirl can never have enough chickens!"--me
Go to Top of Page

misspittypat
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

lila
osceola mo
USA
102 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2011 :  4:57:13 PM  Show Profile
yesterday was garage sale day in a near by town. I was standing there looking at this 5 tier candleholder and I thought hemmmmm; got it for $1.50 spray painted black when I got home and I put my mom's african violets on it! It is adorable not only can she see them better, homebound lives with me, but she has room for more violets lol

Lila
Go to Top of Page

sissarge
True Blue Farmgirl

502 Posts

Linda
Montgomery Texas
USA
502 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2011 :  7:08:59 PM  Show Profile
I have been wanting to plant some asparagus, and needed a raised bed. So my daughter bought my grandson a new bed, and out the old bed went (she lives on our property) and while sitting on the back porch with hubby he says, you know how you want a place to plant asparagus? I said yes, he said go look at the base of the bed (old number bed) so I did and got so excited, queen size bed, hard plastic with 4 inserts, like rows, so I hauled it to the garden and hubby got dirt with the tractor and we filled it up and planted asparagus 2 days later. Wow its all bolted together did not have to do a thing, just carry it to the spot I want it. Will try to post picture. Farmgirl #946 Linda
Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2011 :  08:11:37 AM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
My DH and o are redoing our entire yard. Not normally something we'd try to take on in one season, but it had been neglected for about 5 years or more, and this is our first complete spring here, and my DH is off work for a short Tim(normally its 7days/week). Somewhere along the life of this yard, people have had palm trees, rock beds, ARTIFICIAL FLOWERS, AND GARBAGE BURIAL in this poor yard. Some places are not gardenable, I don't know what all was in their garbage(a few shoes, plastic containers, broken glass, ugh how gross!) Anyways, I wanted to put a bench and urn in one "garbage burial site", and so we turned it over, cleaned it out with gloves of course, and dug up the buried rocks from lost and scattered rock gardens of old, and laid plastic down, made a small sitting area, and put all the rocks there.

Around the whole parameter of the yard, is what was supposed to be a flower bed.300+ linear feet of flower bed, ALL ROCKED UP, WITH RANDOM HOUSEHOLD GARBAGE BURIED UNDERNEATH!!! Again, we cleaned it up, and I wanted something organic with good texture. I was pricing tanbark. It is too much money. O thought and thought, "what can I cover this mess with?!?". Across the street, the family hired a tree company to remove three trees. The company brought with them a wood chipper. My DH talked to them, and offered to buy the raw chips from them. THEY SAID NO, YOU CAN JUST HAVE IT!! Most of the chips are pine. They even smell wonderful!!! The parameter of the yard is now covered with un-aged, beautifully textured wood chips. It is so pretty. In a few years, it will be true tanbark, but I get to enjoy it now too. All for free. So thrilled with results. When complete, I'll try to post before and after pics!

The tears I shed then, watered the flowers I harvest now.

www.broken908.blogspot.com
http://forums.familyfriendpoems.com/broken908

"The aim of education is the knowledge not of facts but of values."-Dean William Ralph Inge
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2011 :  2:27:33 PM  Show Profile
Came up with the cutest repurposing idea recently. I have some Halloween napkin rings that one is missing. I now only have three. I used them to decorate the tops of candlesticks, as candle rings. They looked so cute. I also have some red "jingle bell" Christmas ones that some have gotten worn and stretched, so I don't have a full set. It looks great! So now I am looking in my drawers for old napkin rings to repurpose as candle rings. :)

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2011 :  3:38:10 PM  Show Profile
I'm saving goat feed bags and horse feed bags, to make both girls tote bags (like the dog food bag tote bags I made on my S.C.R.A.P. blog). They both want one. I just have to get the time to sew them up.

Farmgirl #800
http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

cowgirlandboys
True Blue Farmgirl

308 Posts

Rachael
Missouri
USA
308 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2011 :  12:51:39 PM  Show Profile
I love this topic! I am a deeply devoted repurposer, and really try to think about how the item I am buying new can be used after it serves its first purpose. It is a challenge I like to take on!
Lately I have been using my grandmother's old photos to make cards (we made digital copies to give to everyone and noone wanted the originals, especially of the ones of people we don't recognize!)

I have also used the black paper from the older albums in mail art which is fun.

I also recently used bottle caps to make necklaces. The bottle caps from beer or sodas look great after a touch of spray paint. Then I made a hole with a nail, glued a picture of someone inside, glued a little glitter in there, attached a pretty ribbon, and have them ready to give for Christmas. It was a fun project.

Also to make a wreath for over my fireplace, I used a wire circle, a big ribbon, and clothespins. I spraypainted the clothespins and the wire circle red, makde a big bow with the ribbon and used the rest to hang it above the fireplace, and then put the clothespins on the circle to hold Christmas and Holiday cards as they come in the mail. It is very light weight and a fun way to appreciate all the wonderful things that come in the mail. :)))

Thanks for all of the good ideas!

Happy Trails!

Rachael
Farmgirl Sister #535
Go to Top of Page

Farmer Judy
True Blue Farmgirl

433 Posts

Judy
North Aurora IL
USA
433 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2011 :  09:03:41 AM  Show Profile
For row markers last year we used plastic knives. We wrote on both ends so if the sun bleached off the works on the top end we would still know what it was by looking at the bottom end.

God bless,

Judy
Farmgirl #3666

Born a city girl but a farm girl at heart!

http://farmtimes.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ursula Norsedottir
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Amanda
Nebraska
37 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2011 :  5:06:59 PM  Show Profile
This thread is awesome! I love hearing new ways to use things!
I have been collecting used 5 gallon buckets from the grocery store bakery. They get their frosting in them, and if you ask they hand them out for free! (I have had to pay $1-$5 dollars depending on the store, but it is still cheaper than getting them new!) I drill holes in the bottom and use them as planters, or attach a Gamma lid and keep my bulk dry goods in them (flour, beans, rice.) All my empty milk jugs get used either as emergency water jugs in the freezer, or the tops get chopped off and they are used as planters or seedling covers. And my egg cartons are saved as seed starter trays! The re-purposing does not end around here, LOL!

http://theblackbearden.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2011 :  05:42:31 AM  Show Profile
I have to re-visit this post from time to time. I am so inspired by everyone! Love the clothespin wreath craft for Christmas cards. So cute! Post a pic!

Also love the spoon-as-plant-marker idea. Clever and cute! Ursula, great idea about keeping extra water jugs frozen in the freezer, too.

Happy Holidays!

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 21 Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic Repurposing...what have you done lately? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page