Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Dr. Bronners Peppermint soap for poison ivy!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Dr. Bronners Peppermint soap for poison ivy! Next Topic  

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2010 :  06:54:50 AM  Show Profile
Well, as usual, it's early in the season, and I've already fought my way through 2 bouts of poison ivy, all with the help of Dr. Bronner's Peppermint soap. It's my dh's favorite, though I don't use the soap normally (it makes me cold!) but I thought, "what the heck" and have used it both morning and night on the spots where I have the rash. It has diminished the itching and the raised blisters in 12 hours or so. Give it a try!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2010 :  7:56:29 PM  Show Profile
Wow, that's interesting! I have some of that soap but didn't know that it also worked on poison ivy! I'm sure I'll encounter some poison ivy in the future so I'll keep your suggestion in mind. Thanks!
Cindy

"Dog is my co-pilot"

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2010 :  05:32:10 AM  Show Profile
OOh! I think I have some of that in the basement and DH has poison ivy right now and it's driving him nuts. Off to give it a try! Thanks Jonni!

Farmgirl Sister #1110
Siobhan - AKA Liza-Jane (my farmgirl name), wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05) and Bennett (7/11/07). and Truman (7/28/09)
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2010 :  5:38:24 PM  Show Profile
COOL!

Thanks for the tip.

We use this in the kitchen, so I'll rathole a few bars for when I finnaly get the season's first roaring case.

It's inevitable...especially when it's blackberry season.

I use a peppermint castile body wash during the high summer months. It does make you feel cooler, that's for sure. So when you have been out in the garden sweating bucket loads and feel all grimy, this stuff makes a body feel human again. The brand most appealing and the strongest comes from Common Sense Farms. They also sell a lavender castile that is right on. No fake perfumey smell at all!
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2010 :  06:42:12 AM  Show Profile
That's good to know. I haven't had poison ivy in a while, but I sure hate it when it happens.
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2862 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2862 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2010 :  10:25:44 AM  Show Profile
Hey Jonni, is this the liquid or the bar soap? I have the liquid by the gallon to clean up after WIllow(vitacost.com, best price I have seen & 4.99 flat rate shipping)
Go to Top of Page

antoinette
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Toni
East Freedom PA
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2010 :  12:26:24 PM  Show Profile
Jonni, thanks for the information, I have had my first bout of poison and I know it won't
be the last, I think the poison must yell here she comes get her!!! I will be trying the
peppermint soap, I've tried alot of other things.
Go to Top of Page

AndreaPaige
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

Andrea
TN
18 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2010 :  3:09:41 PM  Show Profile
The peppermint must be soothing! Im not allergic (I dont think I am) but my fiance gets poison sumac like crazy. Will let him know.

It makes me cold, too!!!
Go to Top of Page

antoinette
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Toni
East Freedom PA
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  7:41:55 PM  Show Profile
Where does one purchase the Dr. Bronner's soap?
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  8:23:42 PM  Show Profile
Antoinette--you can get it at Target but most natural foods stores would probably carry it as well.
Cindy

"There is more to life than increasing its speed". Mahatma Gandhi

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2010 :  05:38:09 AM  Show Profile
Yep, Target was where I got ours, but even our Kroger carries the Lavender and Peppermint. It's the liquid version (the all in one) that I've been using, Lisa, but I would imagine if the concentration is enough in the bar, it should work, too. I'm really impressed--I get poison ivy just by looking at it and have had so many outbreaks already, but the Bronner's has made quite a difference in the way I feel with the rash. It seems to dry it up very quickly. I hope it works the same for you gals!!!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2862 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2862 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2010 :  07:10:21 AM  Show Profile
If you guys like the Bronner's, get it at Vitacost(vitacost.com) by the gallon. I researched & they have the best prices. They have EVERYTHING. In fact, if I need something healthwise, I look it up on their website & they always have it. I just got 2 gallons of Dr Bronners, a 54 oz container of organic coconut oil, 2 32 oz of the Braggs ACV, 2 of the Aminos, lip balms & 2 organic shampoos. SHipping is a flat $4.99
The box was so heavy that UPS said "I better get this one for you"
I ordered Sunday & got Tues.
Jonni, Jim gets poison ivy bad, so I'll try that with him.

Can't beat that, & our UPS guy is a cutie. Now that is a shopping experience I can enjoy!
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - May 09 2010 :  03:47:58 AM  Show Profile
IT WORKS!

Call it happy coincidence or whatever, but I tried a slight variation using Trader Joe's Tree Tree Tingle shampoo as a body wash last night on my chigger bites. 2 days worth of digging and scratching finally came to a hault!

This also contains peppermint.

Now I need to get some to give to a friend! She has had chigger bites, poision ivy, and a bad breakout from an all natural fly repellent a friend uses on her horses. Poor thing was in agony.
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3305 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3305 Posts

Posted - May 09 2010 :  07:37:57 AM  Show Profile
I make a wonderful peppermint soap with peppermint essential oil! It's very cool and soothing; especially during the summer months when it gets so darn hot.

There's nothing like peppermint soap and a cool shower----

Melody
Farmgirl #525
www.melodynotes-melodynotes.blogspot.com
www.lemonverbenasoap.etsy.com
www.longtallsallys.etsy.com
http://farmgirlhistory.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

urban chickie
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Catherine
Niles IL
USA
734 Posts

Posted - May 09 2010 :  9:22:24 PM  Show Profile
I have used olive oil infused with jewelweed flowers to help with the itching of oak tree mites and others have told me it works well on poison ivy as well. Anyone here ever successfully used jewlweed oil?

Catherine
Farmgirl #1370
City Girl By Birth,
Suburbanite By Location,
Farmgirl at Heart
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - May 10 2010 :  03:51:38 AM  Show Profile
Never heard of jewel weed oil!?

That's cool

I use the natural plant that grows near the creek
Go to Top of Page

vintage saver
True Blue Farmgirl

323 Posts

oleta
wheelersburg ohio
USA
323 Posts

Posted - May 18 2010 :  10:54:10 PM  Show Profile
Ihave jewelweed growing along the creek and I've always heard it's good for poison ivy.
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Dr. Bronners Peppermint soap for poison ivy! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page