Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Grape jelly with Chillover Powder
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Grape jelly with Chillover Powder Next Topic  

HomesteadHerbs
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Christine
Hockley TX
27 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2010 :  4:00:47 PM  Show Profile  Send HomesteadHerbs an AOL message  Send HomesteadHerbs a Yahoo! Message
So I tried to make grape jelly with Chillover Powder. I had 12 quarts of grape juice which I had boiled from grapes. I added 1/4 cup of agave nectar and then let it boil. Then I added 6 teaspoons of Chillover Powder and let it boil for 3 minutes, just like the instructions said. Put the liquid in the jar, but it hasn't gelled. I put on jar in the fridge, and it's gelled fine. But all the rest are all liquidy.

Will it just take time to gel?

Is there any rescue for my jelly?

Thanks,
Christine

Growing, using, and learning about herbs. Living a Godly simple life!

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2010 :  07:39:20 AM  Show Profile
I just made some jam and it took an overnight sit to gel, but it was perfectly gelled in the morning. And it's so yummy too! Chillover is great!

Farmgirl Sister #1110
Siobhan - AKA Liza-Jane (my farmgirl name), wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05) and Bennett (7/11/07). and Truman (7/28/09)
Go to Top of Page

HomesteadHerbs
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Christine
Hockley TX
27 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2010 :  08:36:54 AM  Show Profile  Send HomesteadHerbs an AOL message  Send HomesteadHerbs a Yahoo! Message
Siobhan,

That's exactly what happened. This morning it was nicely gelled.

I haven't tried it yet, but it looks beautiful!

Living a Godly simple life!
Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2010 :  10:04:58 AM  Show Profile
You'll have to let me know how it tastes! I need to make some grape jelly for the boys to have PB&J!

Farmgirl Sister #1110
Siobhan - AKA Liza-Jane (my farmgirl name), wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05) and Bennett (7/11/07). and Truman (7/28/09)
Go to Top of Page

Rivergirl_2007
True Blue Farmgirl

332 Posts

Shirley
Karnak IL
USA
332 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2010 :  12:34:07 PM  Show Profile
I am really curious - what is Chillover Powder?
Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2010 :  8:05:19 PM  Show Profile
Chillover powder is MaryJane's alternative to gelatin. It's a good substitute for vegetarians. You can make all kinds of things with it. I think I'm going to try some marshmallows soon.

http://shop.maryjanesfarm.org/store/p/65-ChillOver-Powder.aspx

Farmgirl Sister #1110
Go to Top of Page

HomesteadHerbs
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Christine
Hockley TX
27 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2010 :  07:24:20 AM  Show Profile  Send HomesteadHerbs an AOL message  Send HomesteadHerbs a Yahoo! Message
Siobhan,

I love the taste. The kids thought it was a little tart, but to me it tasted just like the grape did. A sweet/tart! I purposedly didn't add sugar cause I didn't want it too sugary.

The kids are also calling it Peptobismal jelly, as it turned out a milkly pink color! :-) If I can figure out how to post photos, I'll post some to display!

Living a Godly simple life with 2 kids, a Haflinger, and hens. Would love a Jersey hand milked cow! :-)
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Grape jelly with Chillover Powder Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page