Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Baking help Next Topic  

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2010 :  09:15:37 AM  Show Profile
Ladies, I used to bake all the time. Then some trials in life got in the way and I stopped doing a lot of 'farmgirl' type things. Getting into baking and cooking again. EVERY bake good I try, even recipes from farmgirls, the items come out heavy and tasteless. I do not sift flour cuz years ago 'they' told us we do not need to anymore. Should I try that?I made blueberry muffins this A.M. and they are pretty dense. When it calls for milk should I try buttermilk? What am I doing wrong? This should not be sooo hard?! LOL!! Thanks and blessings to all for a good day! Linda

Country at Heart

karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2010 :  09:43:25 AM  Show Profile
Is your baking soda & powder fresh? If it is old it is possible that it won't work anymore. You could try buttermilk-it is supposed to lighten things up.

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

http://rua2j-grammysheirlooms.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2010 :  10:15:17 AM  Show Profile
I would guess old soda, powder, or yeast. Try replacing them before you blame anything you've done for sure.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2010 :  3:42:29 PM  Show Profile
They are not that old? But will give that a try for sure. Thanks!! Might try the buttermilk as well

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

urban chickie
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Catherine
Niles IL
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2010 :  4:07:21 PM  Show Profile
Baking soda should not be kept for more that 12 months after it is opened for optimal performance....I know it is easy to think it's newer than it is, so I use a marker and mark the date I open a new container right on the lid so I always know when to buy another. I bake a lot and yet I never finish a container in 12 months!

Another thing to ask is have you changed ovens since the last time you were baking a lot? Most are not very accurate to real temps, but they keep in scale. So if you figure out it is 25 degrees hotter than its says, it will always be that....might want to check with an oven thermometer if the texture seems off. As for other things, yes I always sift if the recipe calls for it, that's nonsense that the flours have changed in that way. Also, be sure to use salt if called for, and measure accurately...these are just common troubles for new cooks but if you baked before I'm not sure.....is it possible you are on any medications you weren't on before? Many change our ability to taste without our knowing, my arthritis meds I swear I get a metallic taste very faint but there when I take them. That, and I now tolerate things differently than I did just 5 or 10 years ago, some old favorite are just too dry or too oily or somesuch. OK now I am just brainstorming and babbling LOL.

Catherine
Farmgirl #1370
City Girl By Birth,
Suburbanite By Location,
Farmgirl at Heart
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Baking help Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page