Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Keeping the heat down in the kitchen
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Keeping the heat down in the kitchen Next Topic  

earthmamaT
True Blue Farmgirl

96 Posts

Tammy
portola California
96 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2010 :  2:25:02 PM  Show Profile
I'm new to MJF & excited to be here! I live in Sonora CA and the heat is in the upper 90's - 100's for the last couple of weeks. Trying to keep the house cool without going bankrupt from the PG&E bills is a challange. One of the ways I try to do this is by NOT using the gas stove ( WAY too much heat). So I use my fry skillet, crock pot and outside fire pit to do a lot of cooking. Do any of you know of a way to cook biscuits in a dutch oven or electric fry pan? I know it is a long shot but I am dying for some biscuits and gravy ( minus the heat). THANKS!

Tammy ~
"Be the change you want to see in the world" GANDHI

nitere
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Amy
Hickory NC
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2010 :  6:22:01 PM  Show Profile
I do not have a way for you, but I hope someone does. Our house does not have air conditioning where the kitchen is located. I try to keep the baking to a minimum, which is actually driving me crazy because I love to bake!

Farmgirl Sister #37
http://www.buraellen.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kairosdreaming
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Melissa
Pineville North Carolina
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2010 :  7:09:45 PM  Show Profile
If you google Dutch Oven Biscuits or Cooking Biscuits over an open fire there are a couple different ways for making biscuits that might work for you. I've heard of people cooking biscuits on the lid of a dutch oven as well. Hope that helps!

Melissa

http://checkeredchickens.blogspot.com/

They sicken of the calm that know the storm.-unknown
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2010 :  7:25:35 PM  Show Profile
I have cooked biskits many times in a dutch oven, make your dough as you always do, and put some butter in the bottom of the hot pot, cover and check ever 4-5 mintes, cooking times will vary, due to heat differances, but the average is 10 minutes. then you canmake your sausage gravy in the same pot, after you dump out your biskits, just remember to stir constantly or it will burn.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2010 :  7:32:40 PM  Show Profile
You can also make biscuits in a solar oven. In a hot location with direct sunlight, they bake pretty quickly.
Cindy

"There is more to life than increasing its speed". Mahatma Gandhi

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

earthmamaT
True Blue Farmgirl

96 Posts

Tammy
portola California
96 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2010 :  7:57:47 PM  Show Profile
I am going to try the dutch oven this week! I just told my DH that I need a solar oven ~ What a great way to save energy!!!!

Tammy ~
"Be the change you want to see in the world" GANDHI
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2010 :  09:57:23 AM  Show Profile
Prariehawk, I would be interested in more info regarding a solar oven, if you don't mind. Thank you

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

KathyC
True Blue Farmgirl

583 Posts

Kathy
Gastonia NC
USA
583 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2010 :  3:34:06 PM  Show Profile
I was telling my hubby last weekend I wanted to learn about solar cooking.

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2010 :  3:37:03 PM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
I use my bread machine for fresh bread without heating up the house. I use the crockpot alot too.

www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2010 :  6:18:01 PM  Show Profile
Amy
How do you like your bread machine? I been thinking about getting one. I am with you as the crockpot goes. Right now we do a lot of grilling outside too.

blessings
Tammy

Tea is like being in the stars with God.

http://breathsoffaith.blogspot.com

Farm Sister #1889
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2010 :  7:52:11 PM  Show Profile
Teresa--I don't know what the best source for solar ovens is--they are relatively easy to make and are basically a wooden box lined with foil and painted black on the outside; they usually have a plexiglass cover and well, you just set them outside on a sunny day and let the sun do its thing. I don't have one but I've eaten food cooked in one and I've seen them being used. I know they can be used for cooking everything from bread to meat to veggies---they are very popular with people who live near the Equator, who might not have access to electricity. They can get VERY hot inside--up to 400 degrees or more. I had the instructions for how to make one, but I don't know where I put them. You could probably find instructions for making one in Mother Earth News--seems like I remember an article in Mother about solar ovens. I had plans to build one but like so many other things, my plans got set aside. Wish I could be of more help. (It probably doesn't help that I'm a bit scatter-brained about all my various "projects".) You can buy one already made as well, but that wouldn't be near as much funLOL.
Cindy

"There is more to life than increasing its speed". Mahatma Gandhi

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

JenniferJuniper
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Jennifer
New Hampshire
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2010 :  09:36:51 AM  Show Profile
When I lived in Mississippi my toaster oven was the lifesaver in summer - I did not turn on the range from May through August at all. I just made portions enough for one meal for myself & DH, i.e. no huge casseroles etc.

Farmgirl Sister #204
Go to Top of Page

delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2010 :  10:05:35 AM  Show Profile
I have never done this but, I think you can bake some things in your crock pot... We are grilling out a lot and trying to eat fruits more instead of baking. I am craving a nice cool fall evening...
delicia
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2010 :  3:12:57 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
If you have a secured place out side you could even run an extension cord or plug your crock pot in outside- that way you don't have that heat inside.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Keeping the heat down in the kitchen Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page