Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 **MaryJanesFarm Products & Merchandise
 another farmgirl budget mix question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author **MaryJanesFarm Products & Merchandise: Previous Topic another farmgirl budget mix question Next Topic  

alicemagooey
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

17 Posts

Posted - May 28 2006 :  07:03:40 AM  Show Profile
i had a couple of questions..

i am going to put them in seperate posts, as the questions require different types of answers.

QUESTION #1.. what are the proportions of flour, baking powder and baking soda ,and salt..in each package of Organic Farmgirl Budget mix?

we have ascertained , thanks to Carols checking up on it, in response to question, that one pound (16 ounces)= 3 7/8 cups flour..

one package is 7.6 oz.. which would equal 7.6 x 16..which equals .47 pound..

so, there should be almost half of 3 7/8 cup of flour in one package which would equal about 1 and 7/8 cups???

i am so confused.!!!
anyway, of that 1 and 7/8 cups, how much is baking powder and how much is baking sode and how much is salt.

i just KNOW that baking is scientific..and all the cookbooks i have read say so.

i know that farmgirl cooking comes from instinct.. but i do believe it is instinct based on scientific principles.

help , please, because i want to use this farmgirl mix to make some different things!!

infact i have posted another post asking for help with a recipe for hermit cookies using the mix. ( see hermit help)

many thanks
alice

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - May 28 2006 :  12:06:49 PM  Show Profile
Wow! That does make it sound confusing! I'm not sure of the exact proportions, but I DO know that it's really handy that the folks at MJF do it for us!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

alicemagooey
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

17 Posts

Posted - May 28 2006 :  1:29:55 PM  Show Profile
you know it, Libby..

I am just thrilled that they have done this for us.. with the baking powder, and baking sode and salt....

what a terrific idea,..

and the recipes from the new magazine..using the packets , are scrumpsious.!! ( how do you spell that???) ok..delicious...

i just figgure that i should know the proprotions, and us folks out here..
who want to do some more 'creatin'

take care..!
alice
Go to Top of Page

Carol
Moderator/MaryJane's Design Diva

452 Posts

Carol
Moscow Idaho
USA
452 Posts

Posted - May 29 2006 :  12:26:21 PM  Show Profile
Hi Alice!
We're taking the Memorial Day weekend off here at the farm, but I saw your post here at home, so thought I send you a quick response. Unfortunately, we don't give out the recipes to our mixes. We spent the last year mixing, testing, and perfecting the recipes you see in our new magazine. We tried to give you lots of recipes to choose from. You could certainly experiment with different variations for some of those (try adding your favorite fruits to our muffin recipes, cheese or herbs to our biscuit recipes, or use different fruits in our ChillOver recipes), but our mixes have to remain our "family secrets."

Thanks so much for enjoying our heart-filled efforts!
Carol

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming 'WOO HOO, what a ride!'"
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - May 29 2006 :  2:14:40 PM  Show Profile
Alice, I remember as a kid my mom & grandmother always had a baking mix already together in a tin. I still do this today. Everyones mix may be a bit different but its the ingr. use use for biscuits & things. Try to se if you can get one from your mom or aunt or granmother that way its kind of like a family recipe & it makes it special. If not let me know, I have one.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

FlipFlopFarmer
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Carla
Molalla Oregon
198 Posts

Posted - May 29 2006 :  2:34:09 PM  Show Profile
Alice -

If you do an internet search you can find several recipes for homemade baking mix. I am on a tight budget so I try to make rather than order most of my goodies....although I would really LOVE to try to MJF baking mix and several other items too! Good luck in your search.

Carla

Live simply.
Love generously.
Care deeply.
Speak kindly.
Go to Top of Page

alicemagooey
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

17 Posts

Posted - May 30 2006 :  1:05:35 PM  Show Profile
CAROL...MAY I MAKE A SPECIFIC REQUEST TO THE GALS OVER AT THE MARY JANES FARM TEST KITCHEN AND ASK Y'ALL SOMETHING:

i made another post..
i did not see you responded to it...

i really just wanted the proportions to your mix to figure out if i could make Hermit cookies with it.

do you think that item is in any way a potential for you all to subject to your test kitchen pros??

i posted a sample recipe for hermits, using another recipe for flour and baking powder and baking soda.
but i could not figure it they all lined up..which is why i asked.

i guess, since your mix proportions are top secret, i have to ask you to figure out a hermit recipe for us //..?
is that the way it is?

yes, i do appreciate all your heart felt efforts.. the magazine was BEAUTIFUL.! and showed the heart of the Farm.

thanks again.
hoping you will find 'hermit bars or cookies a worthy addition to your recipe possibilities..!!
alice
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - May 30 2006 :  2:09:25 PM  Show Profile
And is it possible to produce a low-sodium version of the baking mix? One serving has 520 mg sodium in it -- impossible for me, with my history of high blood pressure. I'm on the DASH diet and have successfully lowered my blood pressure without drugs and have lost 40 lbs in the last 3 months. But I need to continue to monitor my sodium intake. Sure would like to use that FarmGirl budget baking mix, however!
Go to Top of Page

alicemagooey
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

17 Posts

Posted - May 30 2006 :  5:22:40 PM  Show Profile
Katie.. i posted another post and named it
"recommendations"..

i posted my request, and another lady requested diabetic friendly recipes.
your low sodium idea might best be posted there under that topic.

i do not know if it will be read.. but it may be..
at least the topic speaks the theme.

ps.. CONGRATULATIONS on your weight loss and decrease of blood pressure readings..
whoopee...
good on you , girl !!
keep up the good work.
alice
Go to Top of Page

katwings
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

kathleen
port townsend wa
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2006 :  1:47:18 PM  Show Profile
hi all, i just sent a post card to MJ's Farm thanking for the magazine, i shared one with a friend as i had just bought one, and requested too less sodium in some mixes. i realized though on a long hike you would need more salt to replace that lost in sweat. smiles oh, rainy day here in washington, my garden is pleased.k three cures for everthing, tears, sweat, salt water.
Go to Top of Page

katwings
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

kathleen
port townsend wa
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2006 :  1:56:15 PM  Show Profile
kathleen again, let me quote "The cure for anything is salt water, sweat,tears,or the sea"Isak Dinesen, Baroness Karen Blixen 1885-1962 all the quotes start becoming paraphrases in my brain. "I hate quotations, tell me what you know" Ralph Waldo Emerson.smiles.k
Go to Top of Page

Carol
Moderator/MaryJane's Design Diva

452 Posts

Carol
Moscow Idaho
USA
452 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2006 :  10:36:51 AM  Show Profile
Hi girls!
Well, you're in luck, Alice, because our Julie Bell, who is now moving on to attend cooking school in Portland, was back on the farm last week and we asked her to test a recipe for Hermits with our Budget Mix. Unfortunately, this will be our last Budget Mix recipe for a while since we don't have a "farm cook" anymore. Hope you enjoy it and be sure to let us know if you develop any new recipes using our Budget Mix!

Hermit Cookies

1/2 cup butter, melted
1/2 c. honey
1/2 c. molasses
1 egg
1 1/2 cups Farmgirl Budget Mix (bulk) or 1 pkg. Farmgirl Budget Mix
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup raisins
1/2 cup pecans, chopped

Cream together butter, honey, molasses, and egg. Set aside. In a separate bowl. Sift together the dry ingredients. Pour liquid ingredients into dry ingredients and mix well. Fold in raisins and nuts. Drop by teaspoonful onto oiled baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 8 minutes. Makes 2 dozen Hermit Cookies.

Enjoy!
Carol

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming 'WOO HOO, what a ride!'"
Go to Top of Page

alicemagooey
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

17 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2006 :  5:09:14 PM  Show Profile
OH CAROL.. I HAVE A LITTLE ICON WITH SOMEONE GIVING SOMEONE A BIG 'SMOOCH'..AND A HUG..

MAY I GIVE ONE OF EACH TO BOTH YOU AND THE RESIDENT BAKER WHO HAD TO MOVE ON..

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU !!!!!!!

ps.. i really think that recipe should be shared and shared and shared with people who are apt to buy the budget farmgirl mix..

because raisins and quick cookies and your farmgirl mix..

well.. it just makes for a family friendly, get-together for all, fun and simple way to provide something delish and quick for all..

cheerio...

and thank you all soo sooo much..
ps.. if i can figure out the html part of this board, i will post the icons..which are really cute and expressive of extensive gratitude..!!

thank you again..
alice...who is sure that she will not be the only one thanking you for your efforts.!
Go to Top of Page

alicemagooey
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

17 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2006 :  5:45:51 PM  Show Profile
well... i would like to refer you, Carol..here: and also to the nice lady who tested the recipe:

http://www.wtv-zone.com/thanky/thankyou.html

a little thank you note i created.

and here is a little image for you to enjoy
(rather a little " farm critters gone happy " image) here:
http://www.wtv-zone.com/thanky/GIFS1/ghogs.gif

once again, many thanks!
Go to Top of Page

JEN000
Farmgirl in Training

16 Posts

Jennifer
Omaha NE
USA
16 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2011 :  5:51:41 PM  Show Profile
I love hermits! I am so glad to have found this post! Thank you!
Go to Top of Page
  **MaryJanesFarm Products & Merchandise: Previous Topic another farmgirl budget mix question Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page