Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Support
 Practice Area
 Need a recipe for Friendship Tea...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Practice Area: Previous Topic Need a recipe for Friendship Tea... Next Topic  

Saffron
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Sheila
Dallas Texas
USA
57 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2010 :  08:53:20 AM  Show Profile
Growing up my Mom would make a big batch of powdered "Friendship Tea". It was so good! It was a combination of instant tea, tang, lemonade, sugar, cloves and cinnamon. I have lost her original recipe and I was hoping someone would have the exact measurements of each ingredient?
I would love to make a big batch of this for the Fall and to give as gifts. I sure would appreciate your help, if you will share your recipe with me.
Thank you Sisters!!
Saffron

"We cannot Lord, Thy purpose see, but all is well that's done by Thee."

Farmgirl Sister #1987

karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2010 :  09:15:31 AM  Show Profile
My mom always called it Russian Tea?!?
1 cup instant tea
1 1/2 cup Tang
1 qt. package Wyler's Lemonade mix
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. cloves
2 tsp. cinnamon
Mix 2 tsp. of tea mix into 1 cup hot water. Use Splenda if diabetic or trying to lower sugar. Great gift idea!

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

http://rua2j-grammysheirlooms.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Saffron
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Sheila
Dallas Texas
USA
57 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2010 :  09:48:59 AM  Show Profile
Karla,
Thanks for your recipe. I guess it can be called lots of things, but I remember it as "Friendship Tea" from my Mom. I kind of like the sound of that since it does make a nice gift to give someone. I just need to think of a cute way to package it up. It brings back good memories when I have a hot cup of this tea. Thanks again for sharing your recipe with me.

Farmgirl Sister #1987
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2010 :  11:04:34 AM  Show Profile
when we ( my gf's and i) exchanged it in the 70's and 80's we called it friendship tea- and we would put it in a cute mason jar--a nice label with directions and maybe a "cover" for the jar lid......or a raffia or fabric bow....

Farmgirl # 2139
~*~ counting my pennies and biding my time; my dreams are adding up!~*~

Edited by - Penny Wise on Oct 11 2010 11:05:24 AM
Go to Top of Page

Saffron
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Sheila
Dallas Texas
USA
57 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2010 :  11:12:06 AM  Show Profile
Margo,
I like that idea about using cute little Mason jars. I am not sure how to do the cover for the lid? I would like to make them look festive and cute for the holidays.
Thanks for sharing your idea with me.

Farmgirl Sister #1987
Go to Top of Page

monicarose
True Blue Farmgirl

406 Posts

Monica
Florida
USA
406 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2010 :  3:33:50 PM  Show Profile
We used to drink it on the farm when I was a kid, during the fall and winter months....loved it..we followed the Russian tea recipe above, but then when I was adult a friend told me they called it Friendship tea and the only different ingredient was they added cinnamon (red hot) candies to the mix....it makes it a fun to look at and the little red candies are very tasty in the tea when heated with that hot water, they melt a bit and everyone loves them!
any airtight container is good, if it get's moist, it clumps together...have fun with your packaging!

Living for today! aka: Paper Rose (Farmgirl# 1780) whoohoo!http://mysistersgardenofthetreasurecoast.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2010 :  5:09:23 PM  Show Profile
sheila....a suggestion would be to cut a circle of fabric larger than the lid--you could use elastic sewn inside and stuff some cotton batting to pouf it--or simply tie it on the lid with a bow or raffia.........

Farmgirl # 2139
~*~ counting my pennies and biding my time; my dreams are adding up!~*~
Go to Top of Page

Saffron
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Sheila
Dallas Texas
USA
57 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2010 :  08:56:35 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Margo! I appreciate the tip for decorating the lid. I will give that a try. I think things taste so much better when they come in a cute package or are drunk from a cute mug. Guess I am silly that way.

Also, thanks to Monica for sharing her idea about adding the red hots. I like that too. It was not the way Mom made it, but it does sound like something I would like to try. Wish I had some right now! :-)

Farmgirl Sister #1987
Go to Top of Page

basket girl
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

emily
walla walla washington
USA
20 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2010 :  2:46:57 PM  Show Profile
Hey! I remember that stuff too! Thanks for waking up a memory. =) I've heard it called both russian and friendship tea. This inspires me to make a batch! Thanks! ~ emily~

P.S. I'm thrilled about that 'red-hot' idea too =)

~ A fruitful life is a happy life ~

Handwoven baskets made to stand the tests of time and use! www.basketsbyemily.com
Go to Top of Page

Tumbleweed
True Blue Farmgirl

1019 Posts

Nancy
Texas
USA
1019 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2016 :  10:17:28 PM  Show Profile
Hi Everyone. I know this is an old thread but I also have made Russian Tea from a recipe my Auntie gave. When I got older I was given the recipe version with the RedHots. The only difference was the Red Hot version was called " Texas Tea".

Think I will have to make a batch. Thanks for waking a pleasant memory.

Happy Thanksgiving 2016

TW

How old would you be if you didn't know old you are?
Go to Top of Page
  Practice Area: Previous Topic Need a recipe for Friendship Tea... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page