CurlysQuilts
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Sarah
Northeast Kingdom VT
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2011 :  5:30:49 PM  Show Profile
Yep, you can get it on Amazon. I first came in contact with the book about a decade ago at Barnes & Nobles. I was so intrigued by the idea of a prayer book, and with my own Irish heritage (although I'm pretty diluted in the bloodline) I really wanted to try it. It still took me ten years to get it, mostly because the book is a bit pricey. The Northumbria Community sounds very interesting though. In my dreams, when I finally get to take a trip to the British Isles, I'd like to go visit them. It takes commitment though, since it's broken up into a morning time, a midday time and an evening time. I rarely get all three in, but at least I get one or two in. I really like it though. This whole month the daily readings have been meditations and scriptures pertaining to verses from Be Thou My Vision, my all time favorite hymn. It has been so great!

Curly's Quilts
www.curlysquilts.etsy.com

“He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.” - Micah 6:8

Go to Top of Page

shawneefarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

91 Posts

Linda
Missouri
USA
91 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2011 :  8:58:02 PM  Show Profile
Ninni-Thank you for your thoughts and beautiful words to your friend about tithing. I also am confused about tithing. I do not even make enough money to pay my bills every month, but I still tithe 10%. I believe in MAL 3:10 - "Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, so that there may be food in my house, and test Me now in this", says the Lord of hosts, "if I will not open for you the windows of heaven, and pour out for you a blessing until it overflows".Our tithe has to be heartfelt, and the Lord always knows our hearts, and He is loving and merciful when our hearts are involved with our actions. Money somehow gets to me, just enough to cover my bills every month, and I know it is from Him !!! Praise God !!

Thanks be to God, who always leads us in His truimph in Christ, and manifests through us the sweet aroma of the knowledge of Him in every place. 2Cor 2:14
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2011 :  9:31:32 PM  Show Profile
Sarah, I love "Be Thou My Vision" also. It is so beautiful and worshipful. I also find myself singing during the day..."It is well with my soul". Think it is because there are stresses there that are weighing on me, and bubbling up from my spirit is this song. Love it!

Buffypuff/ Claudia
Farmgirl & Sister #870

"Half of success is the assurance of support along the way." cr
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2011 :  10:15:27 PM  Show Profile
Thank you, Claudia and Sarah - I'm going to check the web and see where I can find the best price for the prayer book. I'm very excited about it! :)

Welcome, Linda/Shawneefarmgirl! I love your message! We are always amazed at how the Lord provides for us, too. It's always just what we need, exactly when we need it! He is just SO awesome! You're right! I do believe Malachi 3:10, too - God's Word does not return void! I do give money to my church and other charities - of course! They couldn't survive and do the great works they do if we didn't help them financially. But I give even more of myself...you know what I mean? I think that is also Linda's/Praying Granny's most excellent point (Thank you, Linda!) - as she says, think of all the people who helped others who came to their door in need during the Depression. (Wasn't that a great article in this issue of MJF?!) These people didn't have two pennies to rub together, but they would never even think to turn away strangers who were hungry or in need of shelter... Makes me think of how Jesus said, "Whatever you do unto the least of these, you do it unto Me." I just truly don't believe that tithing cash is THE key to prosperity - but I know with all my heart that our Heavenly Father God is! :) We give generously back to Him because we want to please Him and thank Him in any and every way possible for all His love, goodness and blessings He pours out on us. If we can tithe 10% - awesome! If we can do more - all the better. I'm willing to bet that 10% isn't a magic number, though. But giving Him our all - in whatever form that may be - I think that's really the act of faith that counts most. That's what makes me a cheerful giver - trying to make God's heart glad. :)

I am always moved when I read the words Mother Teresa spoke in 1994 when she gave the address at the National Prayer Breakfast before the U.S. Senate and House of Representatives on February 3, 1994. She was a woman who really did give her all for God. For those of you who are interested, here is a link with the inspirational words she spoke:

http://www.ewtn.com/New_library/breakfast.htm

Blessings to you, sisters!

- Nini

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2011 :  08:19:50 AM  Show Profile
Asking God's blessings to each of you... on all your day, so that you see His Hand working in your life even more. Praying that we become the light in someones life today, that they be blessed so they too may give glory to God.

Buffypuff/ Claudia
Farmgirl & Sister #870

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13556 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13556 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2011 :  08:24:38 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
PSALM 18: 1-3a
"I love Thee, O Lord, my strength.
The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer.
My God, my rock, in whom I take refuge;
My shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.
I will call upon the Lord, who is worth to be praised."

Amen and amen!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

From my Hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

CurlysQuilts
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Sarah
Northeast Kingdom VT
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2011 :  11:23:32 AM  Show Profile
CJ, that just happens to be my life verse! Thanks for sharing! :)

Curly's Quilts
www.curlysquilts.etsy.com

“He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.” - Micah 6:8

Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2011 :  11:25:38 AM  Show Profile
Thank you CeeJay!

Buffypuff/ Claudia
Farmgirl & Sister #870

Go to Top of Page

shawneefarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

91 Posts

Linda
Missouri
USA
91 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2011 :  09:04:58 AM  Show Profile
Nini- Thank you for the Mother Theresa thread. It opened my "tunnel vision". I got stuck on the financial aspect of giving that I forgot about the giving of myself. I have become more concerned about how I was going to make it thru life, instead of looking to just helping others. And there are so many people hurting in so many different ways these days! Mother Theresa is right, just look at your family members, and start there.
Thank you, Nini, for loving God the way you do, and helping all us out here to remember that we are here to serve EVERYONE on earth, to be at peace with everyone as long as it is up to you (scripture),to love each other as God has loved you.
Thank you Nini, and God Bless You!!

I am so happy that we have this thread to talk to each other about Jesus! !!

Thanks be to God, who always leads us in His truimph in Christ, and manifests through us the sweet aroma of the knowledge of Him in every place. 2Cor 2:14
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13556 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13556 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2011 :  09:07:17 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
PSALM 19:1

"The heavens are telling of the glory of God;
and their expanse is declaring the work of His Hands."

PRAISE HIM!!!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2011 :  08:45:27 AM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies! Just wanted to say hello and see how everyone here is doing?

Blessings, Linda

http://www.scatteredlittleblessings.blogspot.com

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2011 :  10:26:22 AM  Show Profile
Hi Linda! How are YOU? :)

The flu hit yesterday - my poor son is sleeping through it, though, thank God. But all is well - or it will be! :) I just hope it doesn't take too long to run its course... and I'm praying that my DH and I don't get it. I've got a little tingling of soreness in my throat, but I'm fighting it with determination! :)

"Great is the Lord, and greatly to be praised: and of his greatness there is no end." - Psalm 145:3

Hugs and blessings to all! - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2011 :  05:41:53 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning! I am having a blessed AM just getting caught up with my farmgirl sisters. What a blessing you all are on these forums! I love that Psalm by the way Cj!! Brenda (Classygram)and I have started a Beth Moore study together over the phone and email. Know it will be a great time in His word! Have a good day everyone.

Blessings, Linda

http://www.scatteredlittleblessings.blogspot.com

Country at Heart

Edited by - prayin granny on Jan 27 2011 05:42:54 AM
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2011 :  3:27:55 PM  Show Profile
Linda...I LOVE Beth Moore. What a straight talking woman. I have been pierced to the quick by her words! There is a Bible Study #2 going now, but I would love to see one from her on MJ farmgirls!.

Buffypuff/ Claudia
Farmgirl & Sister #870

Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2011 :  12:09:51 PM  Show Profile
A Parish Nurse sent this to me, and I thought it interesting that Hildegard's prayer could be ours also. Prayer and grace are timeless.

A Prayer Nearly 1000 Years Old

Hildegard of Bingen (1098-1179) was a German woman whose faith led her to a wholistic life of reaching out to others. She founded a monastery for women where many people were cared for. She also wrote theological and scientific works, including many on health, and published a number of songs, poems, and other artistic texts. Here is a prayer written by the woman who has come to be known as Blessed Hildegard, or Saint Hildegard of Bingen:

Holy Spirit, the life that gives life.
You are the cause of all movement;
You are the breath of all creatures;
You are the salve that purifies our souls;
You are the ointment that heals our wounds;
You are the fire that warms our hearts;
You are the light that guides our feet.
Let all the world praise you.

Buffypuff/ Claudia
Farmgirl & Sister #870

Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2011 :  12:23:08 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Claudia, that was beautiful. It would be nice to put it to needwork. Hugs,Brenda

http:///www.scatteredlittleblessings.blogspot.com

Seek reasons to Love..In every sigment of everyday-look for something that brings forth within you a feeling of Love-Abraham Hicks
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2011 :  12:49:04 PM  Show Profile
That is truly so, so beautiful, Claudia. Thank you for sharing it with us! :) Blessings and love - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2011 :  12:57:12 PM  Show Profile
What a good idea Brenda. Since I copied the words, think I will put it in my stack to do. LOL. So many things I want to do...so little time..and can't wait til Spring when I can get into the dirt!

Buffypuff/ Claudia
Farmgirl & Sister #870

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13556 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13556 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2011 :  1:58:17 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
A reminder of faith from Max Lucado "A Hunch and A Hope". Based on Mark 5:34 which says "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace, and be healed of your affliction".

FAITH = a conviction that He can and a hope that He will.

And HE does, doesn't HE?? HALLELUJAH!!!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2011 :  2:21:53 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Nini and CJ. Both of you are so uplifting in your messages. I, however, am feeling a unsettling in my spirit to pray for the middle east uprisings...Tunisia, Egypt, Suez area. These are people who are unhappy with their government and rioting in the street. I'm praying for God to keep His hand on this area, and that His way may be achieved. So far the US has not been blamed as true friends of Mubarak, but assuredly the cost of oil will go up. Apart from that, these are descendants of Ischmael, son of Hagar, the Egyptian servant of Sarah. God told Hagar, to not worry. He would bless them. Maybe we as Christians can pray for their salvation. Thank you!

Buffypuff/ Claudia
Farmgirl & Sister #870

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2011 :  3:41:06 PM  Show Profile
Absolutely, Claudia! I will pray in agreement with you for their salvation... That has been a prayer - salvation of all men and of the world - that has weighed very heavily on my heart for a very long time now. God bless your heart, sister! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2011 :  4:00:53 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Nini! As a country we are still fighting 2 wars, and because the whole world is united in some way because of commerce, aide, whatever, the Middle East is where everything ends...when the Lord returns. I don't know if we are on the cusp or this is just another skirmish through time, but this I feel is serious business. Pray as though our lives depend on it...it may.

Buffypuff/ Claudia ~ Farmgirl & Sister #870 ~
"It compliments God to ask great things of Him." ~ St. Theresa of Avila

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13556 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13556 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2011 :  07:15:35 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
"The wisdom that comes from God is, first of all, pure, then peaceful, gentle and easy to please."

James 3:17

Blessings this Saturday!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2011 :  5:03:49 PM  Show Profile
Amen and Amen CeeJay

Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2011 :  12:33:22 PM  Show Profile
A friend sent this to me this morning. It is a little long, but I thought you might enjoy it...maybe NEED it.
Malachi 3:3 says: 'He will sit as a refiner and purifier of silver.'

This verse puzzled some women in a Bible study and they wondered what this statement meant about the character and nature of God.

One of the women offered to find out the process of refining silver and get back to the group at their next Bible Study. That week, the woman called a silversmith and made an appointment to watch him at work. She didn't mention anything about the reason for her interest beyond her curiosity about the process of refining Silver.

As she watched the silversmith, he held a piece of silver over the fire and let it heat up. He explained that in refining silver, one needed to hold the silver in the middle of the fire where the flames were hottest as to burn away all the impurities.

The woman thought about God holding us in such a hot spot; then she thought again about the verse that says: 'He sits as a refiner and purifier of silver.' She asked the silversmith if it was true thathe had to sit there in front of the fire the whole time.

The man answered that yes, he not only had to sit there holding the silver, but he had to keep his eyes on the silver the entire time it was in the fire. If the silver was left a moment too long in the flames, it would be destroyed. The woman was silent for a moment. Then she asked the silversmith, 'How do you know when the silver is fully refined?'

He smiled at her and answered, 'Oh, that's easy -- when I see my image in it.'

If today you are feeling the heat of the fire, remember that God has his eye on you and will keep watching you until He sees His image in you.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 92 Gathered Up: Previous Topic Christian farmgirls? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page