adnama
True Blue Farmgirl

171 Posts

inge
fargo north dakota
USA
171 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2011 :  06:39:14 AM  Show Profile
If it was me, I would keep at least some of them. the family may not be interested now, but later they may be. I also would keep the silk stockings, there is a huge market for them on a number of sites and no they don't have to be packaged or new in box.
Go to Top of Page

osagegypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

73 Posts

Marsha
Hominy OK
USA
73 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2011 :  07:52:41 AM  Show Profile
Ohmygoodness Debra, keep them! Make color copies and put them in a scrapbook with photos for your grandchildren! There is a wonderful magazine by Sommerset Studio, called Legacy I think; for ideas about what to do with memorabilia. I have an old copy book of my husband's grandmother. I am going to make color copies of it and paper the walls of my bathroom with it. The old handwriting and vintage look of the paper is so appealing to me!

"Though she never shook the stars from their appointed courses; she loved good men and rode good horses." unk.

www.ChinkapinRanch.com
www.osagegypsy/etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2011 :  09:13:39 AM  Show Profile
I am an antique collector especially things from my husbands family or things belonging to my stepdad and stepmother. I have only a few photos of my past....things my mother carried with her every time we went into an air raid shelter. I was born in England in 1940 and we lost everything but what she was able to carry. I have a cast iron cooking pot that belonged to my husbands great grandmother and carnival glasses that belonged to his grandmother. I have my stepmom's mothers pitcher and bowl and the commode they used if they didn't want to go to the outhouse. I also have a lot of pewter and my stepdad's family clock. They're memories to be passed down. Keep things like that they're precious.
Go to Top of Page

debra e
True Blue Farmgirl

261 Posts

Debra
Georgia
USA
261 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2011 :  2:13:26 PM  Show Profile
Great ideas on keeping things for the family. The young ones of the family (25 and 30) may not want them now...but down the road they will. I like the idea of putting them in a scrap book. Isn't it fun to go back in time with these precious memories. One night I poured me a glass of wine and sat and looked at the recipes that my mother- n-law saved over the years. From the early forties till the 80's. I was close with my mother-n-law (I loved her) When we would come to Ohio to visit we used to have wine and sit up till 2 and 3 in the morning talking about everything and sharing recipes. So the night I was looking through her recipes I dedicated that night to her. It put me back in time for the moment. Ahhh!!!!(as in a sigh)

Farmgirl Sister
Go to Top of Page

osagegypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

73 Posts

Marsha
Hominy OK
USA
73 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2011 :  2:41:34 PM  Show Profile
Heres to sweet mother-in-laws! God bless them!

"Though she never shook the stars from their appointed courses; she loved good men and rode good horses." unk.

www.ChinkapinRanch.com
www.osagegypsy/etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2011 :  3:32:08 PM  Show Profile
Oh, do not throw those letters away. They would make a wonderful book for the grandchildren to read someday about how much in love their grandparents were. You could put them into plastic envelope pages into a notebook so they could be preserved or even get them published if you wanted to. What special treasures you have. I have only a few from my mom and dad and none from my grandparents. My daughter doesn't want them so I am hoping one of my grandchildren will. I remember the nylons with the line up the back and how hard it was trying to keep the line straight. At the end of the war before my mother could get nylons when I was about 4 I remember seeing her draw a line up the back of her leg after she put on leg makeup. That is how the ladies made it look like they were wearing hose.
Betty, I am sorry that you have so few photos from your past. Thank goodness your mother was able to save some things.

Nancy
Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2011 :  8:51:37 PM  Show Profile
I agree with the scrapbook idea. How wonderful to have those things and let future generations know ancestors thru them they might otherwise know little about.
Go to Top of Page

HeirloomMomma
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

Linda
PA
USA
38 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2011 :  05:56:59 AM  Show Profile
Hi all! I'm new to the forum, and wanted to say hello. I turned 50 in May...so I'm part of the 'club'! :) Some days I feel 30, some days 50, and some days...well... The summer heat and humidity bothers me more and more each year, makes it more difficult to complete the chores in the garden, chicken coop, barn and in life in general. Not complaining, just making an observation!!
Glad to have found this forum. Look forward to 'meeting' everyone on here!
Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2011 :  09:01:38 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Linda, I know what you mean about the heat and humidity bothering you as you get older. At 71 I can't stay out in the heat very long. I get out to the garden early in the morning, sometimes before the sun is up and tend the chickens and my flower and veggie gardens. We don't have much humidity here except when a monsoonal flow comes up from the south. Here in the high desert, 2500 feet, we get temps up over 115 sometimes It's been in the 90's all this week which has been a great feeling. I feel the humidity a lot when I go back east. We were in KS and MO a couple of weeks ago and I felt it then although it wasn't as bad as usual. Last year I was in NC in June and I had a hard time dealing with it. My chickens don't seem to mind the heat but I have shade cloth over the coop and the eggs slow up a bit but not much. Again, welcome we'll enjoy hearing from you and as you can tell we get into all kinds of subjects.
Go to Top of Page

Annie S
True Blue Farmgirl

756 Posts

Annie
Custer S.D.
USA
756 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2011 :  11:20:01 AM  Show Profile
Debra, I hope you keep what you can - especially those love letters (how sweet). When cleaning out my mother's house after her passing, I came across photos from when my dad and mom were in WWII - dad was over in France and mom was an Army nurse down in the Ozarks where they met when dad got wounded and sent back home. Also found old pics of us kids from the 40's and 50's. Divided up the pics and sent each brother the ones they were in. My one brother died shortly after Viet Nam, so his son never knew him (he was a baby when he died). Those pics of my brother when he was growing up meant the world to his son. He was in tears when he opened the package of pics and other things that his dad made during school, etc that I sent him. It's a touch and glimps back in time to another era and the things you've discovered are truely treasures of the past. Keep them and hand down to the grandkids if they show interest. I wish now I had kept more of my mother's things than what I had taken. Like, I sold the bedroom set of mom and dad's that was their first and only set from when they got married in 1946. Even tho I didn't have room for it I could have stored it and possibly one of the grandkids could have used it. It just needed a little TLC. Oh well, spilled milk. What a wonderful trip down memory lane for you Debra.
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2011 :  1:11:01 PM  Show Profile
WOW, you gals have me reminiscing about my childhood and all the things I wish I had now. Everything is precious to you after it's gone, isn't it?
Welcome Linda...we're happy to have you here. Just join right in and we can all share and learn from each other.

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
"Why couldn't I have been born Rich instead of So Good Looking?"
Go to Top of Page

tinaberry
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

tina
satsuma al
USA
107 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2011 :  2:40:55 PM  Show Profile
I turned 50 in March, most days I don't feel or act my age. My 7 year old granddaughter wanted me to teach her how to do a cart wheel, Yes I tried and busted my behind, that's when I knew I was getting older, but only in body! I'm also glad no one was watching.
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2011 :  04:25:21 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Linda. Glad to have you in the group. Tina I haven't tried a cartwheel in many, many years. I was bouncing a ball the other day and tried to raise my leg over it like I used to do and couldn't. I started laughing. My husband tried and he couldn't either. Now I know why my mother was always laughing as she got older. She said her body sometimes wouldn't do what she wanted it to and it would go "fro" when she wanted it to go "to". It was only her body that got old though just like ours. The grandchildren are wonderful for keeping us young as are nieces and nephews.

~Nancy
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2011 :  12:34:30 PM  Show Profile
Tina & Nancy, you girls are making me laugh just picturing it all! hahahahahaha
Welcome Tina, to the group of "never-say-die" gals who keep trying new things and old...just in case ....ROFL....(you make me want to go outside now, and see if I can jump rope still)

Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2011 :  1:11:08 PM  Show Profile
It's funny when we realize that we can't do something we used to do when we were younger. I can still bend down and touch my toes and get down on my hands and knees and get back up again but I have to hold on to something to get back up. I laugh at myself every day. You should see me chase a chicken...I wonder who is chasing who.
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2011 :  2:30:03 PM  Show Profile
......and I bet she (cackles) about it every time she tells "The Girls!" hahahaha

Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page

craftbug
True Blue Farmgirl

545 Posts

Patsy
Clarkson Kentucky
USA
545 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2011 :  3:15:12 PM  Show Profile  Send craftbug a Yahoo! Message
Welcome Linda and make yourself right at home. So much sharing and caring going on here.

Oh my goodness,Judy, I DID try the jumprope before i got the poison ivy (which is gone now) and I could only jump a few times...my body said "whoa! girl, you got a few pounds on ya since you last did this!' lolol

Make my words soft and tender, for I may have to eat them. :)
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2011 :  4:55:12 PM  Show Profile
....Too bad I wasn't there to cheer ya on Sissy! hahahaha ...Or laugh until or sides hurt and we pee....ROFL

Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page

craftbug
True Blue Farmgirl

545 Posts

Patsy
Clarkson Kentucky
USA
545 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2011 :  6:10:23 PM  Show Profile  Send craftbug a Yahoo! Message
Sis, if you were here, we WOULD have done the above and definitely ROFL and couldn't get up. hahahahahahha

Make my words soft and tender, for I may have to eat them. :)
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2011 :  04:57:15 AM  Show Profile
I haven't tried to jumprope. I don't think I'll try or maybe I will to see if I can still do it. I tried the granddaughters trampoline 2 years ago. My body did not like being up in the air at my age. The girls kept yelling, "Go higher" and I wasn't about to do it. Headlines...Elderly Woman Breaks Leg on Trampoline. Hahahaha! I wonder if I can still do a somersault. I better not try.

My big project right now is to de-clutter my sewing and craft room. I have things in there that I will never use.

Nancy
Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2011 :  05:12:57 AM  Show Profile
Nancy doesnt the declutter feel good? I am holding a craft day at the park for our 4-H club next Tue and some of my motivation was to empty out some of my craft closet. I pick stuff up at yard sales, auctions for next to nothing for the kids to make. Problem is I buy faster than they craft!lol
Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2011 :  08:37:14 AM  Show Profile
I can still jump rope, but the trampoline? forget it! I shoot baskets with my grandson(12)but don't move around as fast as he does. He thinks it's cool that grandma shoots baskets. I have a teacher in NM that does quilting and crocheting with her students and I send left over yarn, crochet hooks and quilting things to her. Hope everyone has a nice day......
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  04:36:14 AM  Show Profile
Yes, I do feel good after decluttering. I have to learn to hold myslef back from all these ideas that come into my head or ones I see that I want to make. I have cut my list down now to only 3 left on my list to do before I start anything new. So I have a "To Do" list and a "Want To Do" list. That's a good idea sending things to a teacher or place where a teacher has students learning sewing, knitting, or crocheting.
Go to Top of Page

marla97015
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

Gail Marla
Centra lPoint Oregon
USA
5 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  7:38:55 PM  Show Profile  Click to see marla97015's MSN Messenger address
You guys make me laugh. I am just shy of 62 and am getting ready to collect social security. I have finished one badge on graditude, but never got the link for the cert. and badge. I am still having problems figuring out how to do things on line.

Marla
Go to Top of Page

ljfromnm
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

laura
portales NM
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  1:06:54 PM  Show Profile
ljfromnm = Laura Jean from New Mexico. Hi to all. I'm new here. I've been picking up Mary Jane's Farm magazine at our local book store for a year or so and have enjoyed it. I feel like I'm getting back in touch in my farmgirl roots. I also turned 50 in March. I have 1 1/2 acres of "not much" and an empty nest. I'm ready to begin this season of my life and I think it involves chickens, livestock, and grandkids. Fun, Fun, Fun!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 218 **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Farmgirls over age 50 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page