SuzieQ
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Suzie
Texas
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2011 :  7:27:19 PM  Show Profile
I made my first batch of soap today. It was 32 degrees in the garage when I did it. I felt that it made trace fast. I poured it in the molds and put them in the washer room with a blanket over them. In two hours I cut the bars and recovered them with the blanket. My question is that I checked them 5 hours later and the molds were warm. IS THIS NORMAL or do I start all over. The soap does look like the video and youtube videos.

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2011 :  05:42:00 AM  Show Profile
hi susie, yes the soap gets really warm. the saying is dont let your soap catch a cold. it needs to stay warm while it cures. no chills. the heat is the lye and oils bonding and turning into soap not lye and oil anymore. good for you. i need to make some soon.

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2011 :  10:16:14 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Suzie- I concure with Sherry- The soap needs to get hot through a thermogenic reaction between the lye and the oil. This is what makes the soap. If it cools off too quickly- sometimes not all of the gets the chemical reaction. It can make your soap harsh and or it can bet brittle and fall apart.

It is best to keep the soap very well insulated so it can keep all that heat while it is working. You may also see it go through a Gel phase so your cutting the bars might not stay cut.

Hope that helps!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

SuzieQ
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Suzie
Texas
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2011 :  4:42:36 PM  Show Profile
Today I got the soap to slide out of the mold and cut it. I now have it drying/curing and I am so proud. I have made soap (I hope). Thanks for the comments. All the things I am learning is off of questions from MJF and youtube. Things I have learned knitting, canning, dehydrating, and now soap making. I live in the city with nosy complaining neighbors so I can not do much more. I am trying to be as frugal as poss. and learn all I can. Again thanks.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2011 :  06:58:03 AM  Show Profile
suzie that is so great you are doing all those things. many farmgirls live in town. like you it is a state of mind not a place. so you are doing great. how is your soap doing. it you take a sliver of it, it should lather a little now when put under water. not ready till cure is over though. happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Question on hand soap making Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page