woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2011 :  06:06:20 AM  Show Profile
I sadly have gained weight since we were married, and my engagement ring and wedding band no longer fit. We bought a plain gold band for me to wear instead of getting my rings re-sized, kind of incentive to get back into shape. (Though we got married when I was in the military, and before child, so I don't think I will EVER be back to that weight! Haha!) I have actually taken a liking to the plain band though. It suits me better, just plain.

What do you wear for your ring? Do you wear a set? Just a band? Nothing at all?

Farmgirl #1947

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2011 :  06:18:46 AM  Show Profile
I have both a wedding band, and an engagement ring. Both are old--my engagement ring is from the 1930's and my husband picked it out himself (after a little guidance from me stating, "nothing too big and gaudy and nothing after 1940), and the wedding band is from 1900, though it was never sold previously. My jeweler found it (and several others) in a box that had been long forgotten, when they moved from their original 1800's location in Covington to the suburbs and we got it for a song.

Mine still fit, but I did have to take them off when I was pregnant, which made me feel weird when people looked at my stomach and then my hand!!!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2011 :  06:24:50 AM  Show Profile
Yes! That's why I had to get a plain band. My husband never wears his ring becasue of work, and mine wasn't fitting, so people gave us the funny eye when we are out with Rosemary. Maybe I was just being overly sensitive, that's how I felt though.

Farmgirl #1947
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2011 :  06:37:02 AM  Show Profile
I didn't want to wear them around my neck because I just wasn't that interested, and it was winter and with scarves, and my long hair and everything, it was just tangles waiting to happen! So, I guess I just looked like an "unfortunate" for a bit.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2011 :  08:33:37 AM  Show Profile
I think that sensitive to not wear the ring when you have little ones or are expecting is normal. I was so very sensitive that Hubby was sweet enough to buy me my wedding ring in another size. I wear them both now that I am no longer expecting. The larger one beneath my engagement ring and the smaller about. My engagement ring is a little big, but I know that it will fit later in life again, so I hate to get it resized.
My engagement ring has V-points on either side, so the bands fit in nicely. :)

Hugs Jessie

"Wonder Woman hasn't got a cape, she just turned her apron around"
Farmgirl Sister #235
Go to Top of Page

HollyG
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Holly
Hamburg Arkansas
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2011 :  08:46:52 AM  Show Profile  Click to see HollyG's MSN Messenger address
My wedding band has a beaded edge that has nearly worn off in the 17 years I've worn it. My hubby has an identical ring, but it's been on his finger a total of about 2 hours. He was afraid to wear it for work purposes as well - which I can understand, but I've snagged mine plenty of times! It's scratched and scuffed, but I've earned every one of them proudly making our house a home. I just feel funny to not wear it. Not judging anyone else, by any means. I haven't snagged it just right or I may never wear it again! It's just part of who I've become and as sentimental as that sounds, I'm rather attached to it! It's also a great incentive to wear gloves. I like to feel my dirt and wood and anything else I pick up. That's not always safe on a farm!

HollyG
Farmgirl #2513
www.mydeepwoodslife.com

Edited by - HollyG on Jan 20 2011 08:47:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2011 :  2:22:38 PM  Show Profile
I had to have my band and diamond ring cut, too... My ring size was just a 5 when we got married! I was so upset that first day, but I'm okay. We were going to replace it, but when we looked at the prices, I realized that it just wasn't that important to me to wear a band. I could have both re-sized and all, but I know I'm married, and that is good enough for me. :) My DH hasn't ever worn a ring - it's not practical for work, and I never really felt that his wearing was that important because I know he loves me. When we were soon-to-be newlyweds picking out my wedding band, the lady at the store had HUGE eyes when he said he wasn't going to wear one. She shook her head, clicked her tongue, looked me square in the eye, and then quite pointedly asked me if I wasn't worried about him cheating - didn't I want him to wear a ring so other women would know he was taken? I was incredulous at her remark! NO! I wasn't worried! If I couldn't trust him, why on earth was I marrying him?! What horrible experience had that poor woman undergone to make her say something so horrid and rude to a young bride-to-be? We marched right out of the store. My grandmother, God bless her, gave me her wedding ring to wear, and it is the most treasured possession I own. She and my grandfather were married for an entire lifetime, and because of them, I learned the true meaning of love. Do I miss wearing it? Well, yes, a little... but only because it was a part of my grandparents that was always with me. Now there is a permanent indentaion - ever so slight - on my left ring finger to remind me of their love and of my husband's. But I don't need a ring to remind me of that. I don't even need a mark. The true reminder is in the beat of my heart. And that, I am sure, nothing can break. :)

Hugs -

Nini

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

mickib
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Michele
Coeur d'Alene Idaho
267 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2011 :  5:45:59 PM  Show Profile
I pick out an inexpensive silver ring with a purple heart shaped stone in the center when I first married my husband (he's my 2nd). (I had the diamond engagement ring and wedding band the first time around.) After a few years, the silver irritated my finger so I had a new ring made - it's simple, white gold with a blue topaz in it - and it doesn't look anything like a wedding ring. My husband wears a gold band that he bought at a pawn shop. When he bought it it looked like a bunch of gold nuggets stuck together. Now, it's all worn down and it just looks like a plain gold band. Even though we both wear our rings on our "wedding ring fingers", and we're all over town together all the time, people often say things that suggest they think we aren't married (we've been married 15 years and have lived in the same place the entire time). Can't figure that one out.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9269 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9269 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2011 :  6:37:40 PM  Show Profile
my wedding band is similar to Holly's I think. It is beaded around the edge. We have matching bands and I have a solitaire engagement ring. The engagement ring was never sized so it is a bit big but the wedding band is still the size 4.5 I started with. I do have another anniversary band that dh gave me on our tenth anniversary that I wear in front of the engagement ring. Helps to keep it on but it still moves around a lot from being too big. Every once in a while I take them to get cleaned. They look so good after that! After almost 29 yrs. the solitaire band is getting very thin and the jeweler has suggested doing something about that pretty soon before it breaks.

farmgirl sister#43

O, a trouble's a ton or a trouble's an ounce,
Or a trouble is what you make it!
And it isn't the fact that you're hurt that counts,
But only--how did you take it?

--Edmund C. Vance.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2011 :  8:47:38 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
This is my wedding set- I only take it off when I am doing something that might damage it or if I am doing something that might make it slip off. The day we went wedding ring shopping one of the jewelery stores in the mall was having an "Estate Sale" I loved this ring and it fit! It was also an amazing price! We only paid about $200 for it and it appraised much much higher so that made me feel great.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

traildancer
True Blue Farmgirl

485 Posts

Loyce
Glide OR
USA
485 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2011 :  09:50:33 AM  Show Profile
I really like both rings in the photos posted. Very pretty. And the stories are interesting and fun to read.

I had to take off my rings both times I was pregnant. With the second one due and a 3-year-old with no ring??? Yes, I felt funny. But like someone said, I knew I was married.

My ring is gold nuggets that have all but worn away (25 years last June). I was born and raised in Alaska so wanted the gold nuggets. My birthstone is diamond so it had to be real. And I wanted one big enough to see. For our tenth anniversary, we had another gold nugget band made to fit below the wedding set. I've had it resized once when I finally realized that I will never be that skinny again!

The trail is the thing.... Louis L'Amour
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2011 :  5:25:41 PM  Show Profile
I have a plain gold band. We wanted to get tungsten or the other metal similar to tungsten but every place we went we couldn't find a band close to my size so we went with regular gold. I didn't want a diamond for a few reasons. One is I am a massage therapist and if I had a plain band I could wear it at work and not have to take it off for a massage. Second is from all the conflict diamonds I just didn't want to support that stuff. So I ended up with a plain band and it totally fits my personality and my marriage. I would never change a thing about it! For my engagement ring I got a super neat silver ring made in Montana. It was perfect because we got engaged in Montana! Right now I am only wearing my wedding ring because one is gold and one is silver. I have been thinking about wearing both because of the memories behind my engagement ring. I love reading what other ladies wedding rings are and the stories behind them! It's so special! Thanks!

~We can make the world a better place for our kids and future generations by what we do today!~
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2011 :  8:41:33 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Krystle- I actually really like the look of gold and silver together. My dream ring is to someday find someone that can make me a gold and silver ring that looks marbled. I know it's probably impossible...but I think it would be neat!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  02:51:08 AM  Show Profile
Both rings pictured are quite pretty. And unusual. I really like how Alee's ring reminds me of a flower, but not in a daisy type fashion.

I was lucky enough to be given my husband's grandmother's set. Orignially, when he asked me to marry him, he gave me the ring and said, "Tomorrow we can go to the jeweler's and have the stones reset or trade them or whatever." I was completely satisfied with the tradional look of the ring, so we just resized. The set is both white and yellow gold.

Marianne
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  07:46:24 AM  Show Profile
Alee, Thanks! Your dream ring, if you find someone that can do that, would probably look fantastic! I don't think anything is impossible for jewelry making if you can find the right person!

~We can make the world a better place for our kids and future generations by what we do today!~
Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

686 Posts

Emily
Thomasville PA
USA
686 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  6:27:05 PM  Show Profile
My engagement ring was first cut and made into a set of earrings at TIFFANY AND CO !!!! about 100+ years ago. I was then reset into a necklace and ring set, then it was reset in a simple 6 prong setting for my engagement ring. When I got married we had to go out and get rings litterally days before the wedding because the jeweler never ordered it. So we went to a store and I got a bit of bling.... well the high quality of the bling with the other gold that was used on the 6 prong, bent the prongs of my Great great aunt's diamond. So now I just wear the simple band we purchased.

Worse part is the replacement ring I want will set us back about 1000 to get the diamond reset...sigh

--
See my custom costumes, download free patterns, and hear some spook EVPs from Gettysburg, PA on my site, www.alterationsbyemily.com
Go to Top of Page

pnickols
True Blue Farmgirl

808 Posts

Patricia
Parma Ohio
808 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  3:16:02 PM  Show Profile
I have a plain gold band also. for a while I wanted the fancy diamond setting but over he years this plain gold band has come to mean more to me than a new one would. we've been married 25 years and thru four kids, illness, surgeries,good times and bad..I can always look down at this plain gold band he put on my finger 25 years ago and know I'm loved
Go to Top of Page

njaw09
True Blue Farmgirl

397 Posts

Annie
NJ
USA
397 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2011 :  07:56:02 AM  Show Profile
My engagement ring is rose gold with pink sapphire bezel. I also wanted a pink wedding band but my husband say no.

our wedding band are identical but of course his is little bit wider. white gold & it is magnetic (not sure how they manage that) with small diamond. Lots of people like the magnetic part.
Go to Top of Page

Wine Country Chick
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Cheryl
McMinnville Oregon
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2011 :  10:04:26 PM  Show Profile
I have been married several times, long in the past, but today I wear a diamond ring that I designed for myself, to be "married to myself", that reminds me to always stay true to myself!
Go to Top of Page

Tina Kay
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

Tina Kay
Deary ID
USA
107 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2011 :  07:42:10 AM  Show Profile
I don't wear mine now, because it just doesn't fit. (smile) I have a solitare with a guard around it. To me it looks like a flower. It is very pretty. I probably should get it sized or lose weight. I think getting it sized would be easier!LOL

"What we see depends on what we look for." ~John Lubbock
Go to Top of Page

dhenkle
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Debbie
Allenton Michigan
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  05:39:11 AM  Show Profile
When I got engaged my husband bought me a beautiful heart shaped solitare ring (I love that ring). And when we got married he gave me a wedding band to go with the ring that had blue topaz stones (my favorite) and some smaller diamonds. Over the years I have had to replace the blue topaz stones (3 times) and the heart shaped diamond. I guess I work to hard to have a nice wedding ring. Two years ago I noticed that one of the prongs on my diamond was broken and fearing we would have to again purchase a new diamond I took my ring off. My husband gave me a hard time about not wearing a wedding ring so while on vacation he bought me a $7.00 copper band and I have been wearing it ever since. Maybe one day I'll get my ring fixed but for now this one suits me.
Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

686 Posts

Emily
Thomasville PA
USA
686 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2011 :  11:03:34 AM  Show Profile
My saga of the ring continues....

As now I am 20 weeks pregnant, my ring no longer fits and I had to take it off. Currently I am wearing a sterling irish ring to replace it. My DH to make me feel better said he would get me a "pregnancy ring." With enough room to 'grow' into it.

---
Currently renting-farmgirl wannabe
Go to Top of Page

simplyflowers
True Blue Farmgirl

489 Posts

Jamie
Locust Grove Virginia
USA
489 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2011 :  01:38:24 AM  Show Profile
I have a white gold band with diamonds in it... and also an irish knot silver band that I wear infront of the diamond band. DH and I have matching irish wedding bands... He also has a platinum band that has gotten to big on him..

“Life is full of beauty. Notice it. Notice the bumble bee, the small child, and the smiling faces. Smell the rain, and feel the wind. Live your life to the fullest potential, and fight for your dreams.”
Ashley Smith

Check out my blog!! http://thehappycalamity.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2011 :  06:31:11 AM  Show Profile
Our rings are silver with runes carved into them. My hands swell every now and then so I have to stop wearing it during those times, but otherwise I only take mine off when washing my hands/bathing (I can't stand getting water between my ring and my finger) or if I'm doing something that could potentially mess my ring up. Another idea if your ring doesn't fit is to wear it on a chain.

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

Do not ask the Lord to guide your footsteps, if you are not willing to move your feet--Dr. Kioni

http://www.mynsp.com/rksmith
http://madame1313.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

686 Posts

Emily
Thomasville PA
USA
686 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2011 :  5:12:42 PM  Show Profile
My hand has not really swelled from pregnancy, but in September my right hand swelled randomly one night and my finger started to turn blue and we had to physically cut the ring. My wedding band is super thick and no wire cutters could take care of it so just as a percaution I have removed it and now am wearing my irish ring. I do like a bit of bling on that finger so here is the new ring I will get, because I love the late Diana so much. http://cgi.ebay.com/Princess-Diana-Kate-Middleton-Sapphire-CZ-Ring-SZ-9-/350445321503?pt=Gemstone_Rings&hash=item51982b3d1f I just have to wait a few more days when the next paycheck is in.

---
Currently renting-farmgirl wannabe
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2011 :  04:54:23 AM  Show Profile
Love it!! You will enjoy looking down and seeing that gorgeous blue. Post a photo once you have slipped it on. So pretty!

Marianne
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farmgirl Fashion: Previous Topic Wedding Ring Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page