Lindsay C
True Blue Farmgirl

117 Posts

Lindsay
Rogersville AL
USA
117 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2011 :  12:33:06 PM  Show Profile
I must admit, I've never really sewn anything in my life. I'm ashamed to say it, but that's the truth. haha I would love to learn to cross stitch and bought a sampler the other day to try. The "easy" instructions that came with it didn't seem so easy to me. :) I'm looking for any tips and/or encouragement to get started. It's daunting, but I'm really excited to learn a new skill! Any recommendations on how to get started?

Lindsay
Farmgirl Sister #1452

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2011 :  12:44:02 PM  Show Profile
Lindsay,

Once you get started it will become easy to you. The site I am suggesting has 3 simple steps and even has a little video. Remember there are no knots to start & end a picture. see what you think!

http://www.joyfulexpressions.us/HTML/Instructions.html

Buffypuff/ Claudia
Farmgirl & Sister #870

"Half of success is the assurance of support along the way." cr
Go to Top of Page

Lindsay C
True Blue Farmgirl

117 Posts

Lindsay
Rogersville AL
USA
117 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2011 :  12:48:11 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Claudia! I'm gonna check this out.

Lindsay
Farmgirl Sister #1452
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2011 :  1:29:34 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
Have you thought about starting with a small simple project? You could get it done and quickly have the sense of satisfaction and something to frame.

Linda in Scranton, PA Farmgirl #71

The fragrance always stays in the hand that gives the rose.
--Hada Bejar
Go to Top of Page

Valgirl
Farmgirl in Training

41 Posts

Valerie
Hot Springs AR
USA
41 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2011 :  2:10:27 PM  Show Profile
I love to cross stitch...good luck to you... It is very gratifying when you are finished. I make lots of Christmas tree ornament because they are small and pretty quick to complete, and usually one require 6 or 8 colors at the most. HAPPY STITCHIN'

Today is the day the Lord has made. I will rejoice and be glad in it.

Valerie (Farmgirl #2356)
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2011 :  2:44:17 PM  Show Profile
LINDSAY,
Is it a stamped sampler or counted cross stitch?

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

SarahJ
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Shreveport Louisiana
198 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  08:53:21 AM  Show Profile
As far as needlework goes, I think needlepoint is the easiest thing for beginners.

SarahJ

Farmgirl Sister #116

http://bayoumama.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Lindsay C
True Blue Farmgirl

117 Posts

Lindsay
Rogersville AL
USA
117 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2011 :  4:46:10 PM  Show Profile
It's a counted cross stitch, and I must say I can't even figure where to begin! :)

Lindsay
Farmgirl Sister #1452
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2011 :  5:10:07 PM  Show Profile
If it is not stamped, there will be arrows on the design pattern. Two arrows show you the middle of the design from up and down, and two will show you the middle of the design from the sides. Like north, south, east and west. Where they all meet is the center of your design and that should be your first stitch. Always stitch from the middle outwards. Count the stitches of each color, which will have a different symbol, and follow the pattern. But find the middle, and go from there. The middle of your pattern will also be the middle of your fabric. Hopefully the fabric you have or will get is a 14 count.....that means 14 stitches to the inch. Your pattern may be done on a graph that is ten stitches to the inch. That is okay. Make your "X" stitches all going the same way. One X will constitute one symbol on your pattern.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

Valgirl
Farmgirl in Training

41 Posts

Valerie
Hot Springs AR
USA
41 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2011 :  05:48:28 AM  Show Profile
As far as where to start on your cross stitch, it is easiest to find the center of your material, and the center is marked on you pattern as well. That is usually where I start, to insure that you don't run out of material around the edges. A lot of patterns cut the material "just right" and starting in the center is usually best.

Today is the day the Lord has made. I will rejoice and be glad in it.

Valerie (Farmgirl #2356)
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2011 :  06:23:49 AM  Show Profile
If this sounds too much for you to start with, buy a stamped crossstitch. I have made some beautiful samplers with these.

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Lindsay C
True Blue Farmgirl

117 Posts

Lindsay
Rogersville AL
USA
117 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2011 :  09:12:53 AM  Show Profile
I'm thinking that I might've picked a project a little too advanced for me. Maybe a stamped would've been better! haha

Lindsay
Farmgirl Sister #1452
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2011 :  08:25:37 AM  Show Profile
Lindsay,

I think you will do just fine with the project you picked. You said it was small, right? Do as the others said and find your center and just start with the color that shows up the most at the center. Do all the half stitches in a small row (/)and on the way back complete the other half (\)to make the X. Remember you don't have to complete an entire row at one time - just work in an area with one color at a time.

Keep posting because there are some expert needleworkers here and they have lots of knowledge to share with us!

Happy stitching. Don't give up . . . there are always other projects to start over on. We have all had a few failures or unplanned chart changes!

Marianne
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2011 :  08:30:11 AM  Show Profile
Make sure you're sitting in good light!

I love to cross stitch, and have done some very pretty things over the years (even a bible cover for my mother, which thankfully, was stamped!) but I find that without a stamped pattern, my eyes get very tired, so it's important to sit in good light.

Get yourself a hoop and stitch on! My rule of thumb is if I make more than 2 mistakes, it's time to put it down for a few hours and pick it back up again.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Lindsay C
True Blue Farmgirl

117 Posts

Lindsay
Rogersville AL
USA
117 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2011 :  3:42:12 PM  Show Profile
I'm really starting to enjoy my stitching! It's kind of addicting. I have a novice question that I'm sure many of you have the answer to. How do you keep the edges of your material from becoming frayed while you're working?

Lindsay
Farmgirl Sister #1452
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2011 :  5:07:04 PM  Show Profile
If you don't have a sewing machine with a zig zag stitch, try taping the edge with masking tape.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17061 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17061 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2011 :  10:40:14 PM  Show Profile
Lindsay,
may I jump in here with a suggestion....
I always recommend that anyone new to cross stitching start with a 8 or 10 count project...the "squares" on the aida cloth are much larger then the standard 14ct aida cloth. So easier to see as you stitch. Especially when the design calls for a 1/4, 1/2 or 3/4 stitch.
Also, I suggest that you photo copy the pattern/chart and then as you do a row of stitches,,use a yellow hi-lighter to mark off the completed stitches on the chart.
I love cross stitching tho I don't do much these days because my vision is so poor for close-up work,,,I have to use 3x reader glasses, a magnifier & ott-lite when working on my cross stitching.
I am currently working on a 18ct project...uugghh! sure wish i had my 'young eyes'...lol!
Have fun stitching.

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom.
"Is it time for my Dirt Manicure yet!"

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://www.graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Sharon Denise
True Blue Farmgirl

211 Posts

Sharon
Temple TX
USA
211 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2011 :  06:49:34 AM  Show Profile
You will love cross-stitching once you get the hang of it! I use masking tape on my edges as well. Be sure that you're not pulling the stitches tight, and let your needle dangle every once in awhile so your thread doesn't get twisted. This will help keep your stitches full and even. I'm weird, but I always thought the stamped patterns were harder when I was starting out. The ones I bought seemed to be stamped crooked, which drove me nuts! :-) I second the suggestions to start with an 8 or 10 count pattern until you find your rhythm. Once you stick it out and finish it, you will love the feeling! Good luck!

"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. Yet that will be the beginning."
~Louis L'Amour
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2011 :  1:17:08 PM  Show Profile
I always thought the Leisure Arts patterns were the easiest to follow. They are in full color rather than dozens of different symbols in those tiny squares. And I have a handy metal border with long magnets that help to keep me on track. I use one of the long magnets to underline the row I am doing and the other one intersects the row to remind me where I am.

Don't give up!!

marianne
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic New to Stitching Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page