pinkwitchy~farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

230 Posts

Beverly
Lee's Summit MO
USA
230 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2011 :  5:51:23 PM  Show Profile
I buy mine from a local woman & have met the "ladies" who provide me with eggs.

I just thought this was interesting & thought I'd share :)

http://www.cornucopia.org/organic-egg-scorecard/

Farmgirl Sister 1575* * * It is often the bend in the road that makes life worth the drive * * *

nh.farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

74 Posts

Barbara
New Hampshire
USA
74 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2011 :  7:07:44 PM  Show Profile
I gather my organic eggs in a basket out in the hay in the shed, directly from the sources. Check our the top two posts in my blog where I have pictures of the eggs and the momma hen with her chicks...just too precious.

Barbara :)

"If I could say it in words there would be no reason to paint."
- Edward Hopper

www.newhampshirefarmgirl.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

pinkwitchy~farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

230 Posts

Beverly
Lee's Summit MO
USA
230 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2011 :  8:40:32 PM  Show Profile
Barbara, LOVE the pics and the egg fabric! Nice blog :) I don't have hens :( I dream of someday having them in my yard....along with other critters :) I'll NEVER again buy eggs from the store!

Farmgirl Sister 1575* * * It is often the bend in the road that makes life worth the drive * * *
Go to Top of Page

AliciaNak
True Blue Farmgirl

405 Posts

Alicia
Elko Nevada
USA
405 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2011 :  07:29:41 AM  Show Profile
I too gather my eggs from the hay, directly from the source.
Barbara, I think the pic of your Momma hen is cute! And nice paintings :)

Alicia
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.~Ralph Waldo Emmerson
www.blondenak.blogspot.com
www.artfire.com/users/BlondeNakCreations
Go to Top of Page

Oggie
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Ginny
Machias Maine
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2011 :  8:51:53 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Beverly! I have never heard of any of them but since I too have chickens, I don't really pay attention. But who would have thought that someone would rate them! Adorable picture Barbara of Mom and babies. I take pictures of my girls all the time and make cards. I call them the Chicken cards, lol!

Ginny
Farmgirl #2343

Life is Beautiful with Bunnies
www.thedewhopinn.com
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  05:02:09 AM  Show Profile
I'm finally starting to get mine from my ladies again! They took a break late Dec/Jan for some reason-pretty sure sunlight was a factor. Got 9 new eggs yesterday!

Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

pinkwitchy~farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

230 Posts

Beverly
Lee's Summit MO
USA
230 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  08:54:20 AM  Show Profile
I'm soooo envious of everyone's girls! Can't wait for "someday" to come, so I can my own :)

Ginny, the Chicken Cards sound too cute!!! Actually sounds like something I'd do! :)

Megan, congratulations! ;)

Go to Top of Page

Breanna
True Blue Farmgirl

208 Posts

Breanna
Parker Colorado
USA
208 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  4:53:26 PM  Show Profile
Oh, I wish I had some girls, too! We did when I was a little girl, and I loved gathering eggs. Right now we buy all-natural eggs in bulk at Costco for our large family. :-)

Farmgirl Bre
"...that my glory may sing praise to you and not be silent, O Lord my God, I will give thanks to You forever." Psalm 30:12
Go to Top of Page

Tammy Claxton
True Blue Farmgirl

1559 Posts

Tammy
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
1559 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2011 :  12:05:09 PM  Show Profile  Send Tammy Claxton an AOL message
I think mine are pretty organic...I collect them everyday from my 6 girls ;)

Crafty Bay Farmgirl Chapter

"What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger"

Farmgirl #152

http://countryintheburbs.blogspot.com/

http://bigdogmom130.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Colleen Easlon
Farmgirl in Training

49 Posts

Colleen
Port Orford OR
USA
49 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2011 :  12:10:29 PM  Show Profile
My 2 1/2 yr. old daughter looks forward to gathering up eggs each morning. We have a routine where we go in each morning, she pets the chickens, collects the eggs, then we let them out to run around in the yard. They follow my daughter all over the property. We do not sell our eggs, but trade for wool and farming classes. It's been a wonderful experience.
Go to Top of Page

HoneyAcresFarm
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Beth
Lithia Springs GA
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2011 :  8:35:46 PM  Show Profile
We have 8 layers and they are great. We got them last September, 2010, and we have collected over 1,000 eggs since then. They are soooooo much fun. We did let them have free range of the farm; however, they were determined to stay right in the front yard and on the walkway of the house. Needless to say, they left unwelcome presents all over the front yard and walkway. We have since, expanded the chicken yard and as soon as we finish fencing the rest of the pasture on the chicken coop side, we will make a way for them to journey to the upper pasture bypassing the garden. We get excited every day when we go to the coop to see how many eggs the "ladies" laid for us each day. We always thank the "ladies" and enjoy their eggs. We are turning our farm back into a "working" farm and the chickens were the first "workers" of the farm. The grands love them and have such a good time collecting eggs, petting them, and feeding them. What a joy it is to see our 3 granddaughters enjoy the farm - Honey Acres is the name of our farm.
Go to Top of Page

pinkwitchy~farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

230 Posts

Beverly
Lee's Summit MO
USA
230 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2011 :  9:50:07 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Beth :) 1000+ eggs?.....WOW!!! Once again, I'm so envious reading all these posts.....Oh, how I wish I had some "girls"....

Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2011 :  04:13:01 AM  Show Profile
I've been trying to teach my guy and gals to follow me/come too me with food. I want to free range them, but, our neighbor has a ton of chickens (even though he's a mile away) and I'm scared they'll end up over at his place! I'm hoping the bribing will work. LOL

Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2011 :  09:16:53 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I too am envious! I wish I couldhave chickens!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sweet_Tea
True Blue Farmgirl

194 Posts

Tara
Newberry SC
USA
194 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2011 :  11:29:07 AM  Show Profile
I have 6 hens and 6 chicks, 5 of the girls are laying eggs. faithfully everyday I have 5 eggs waiting for me. one hen is still young and not ready to lay eggs, but the 5 big girls are picking on her all the time, so yesterday I built her a new chicken coop, all for herself. I'm going to put the chicks in there with her.
But, I think my eggs are pretty organic, the yolks are nice and deep yellow and the shells are good and firm.

I have a pretty big Chicken Coop, with a pen for my girls and I call it the Chicky Poo Cafe. I would let them roam around free range, but, I have Hawks and Turkey buzzards the size of small children hanging around my ranch.. and I don't want them to get hurt... So I have them enclosed.

~ http://notsosweettea.blogspot.com/

"The air of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears"
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2011 :  03:34:22 AM  Show Profile
Totally understandable! I didn't let my chickens free range except if I was outside with them during the summer last year! I was too afraid!

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Go to Top of Page

yellow2mato
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

Pamela
Texas
USA
5 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2011 :  4:29:05 PM  Show Profile
Hi,
I'm new here, so I thought I'd jump on in with my 2 cents worth. I buy my eggs at farmer's markets from farmers, all of whom I've met. The eggs are great....some better than others. Most of them have a beautiful golden yellow yolk, instead of the pale yellow of most store bought eggs. Since the markets are pretty far from my home, I buy several cartons at a time. I've kept then in my fridge for several weeks, and I've never had any go bad. I wish I could raise a few chickens, but in the city where I live, I can't.
Go to Top of Page

pinkwitchy~farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

230 Posts

Beverly
Lee's Summit MO
USA
230 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2011 :  8:22:41 PM  Show Profile
Megan, hope the food does the trick! You'll have to keep us posted :)

Tara, Chicky Poo Cafe....LOL! Love it! What a good mommy you are to build her a coop of her own :)

Pamela, our city doesn't allow them either :( I've thought about trying to get that changed but I'm a bit worried about biting off more than I can chew...

Go to Top of Page

katnip05
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Katrina
Norfolk Nebraska
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2011 :  6:37:12 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone, I'm new here too, but this is a subject that has become near and dear to my heart. My town doesn't allow chickens in town either, but by asking around I've found out that quite a few people are keeping them anyway. One woman even keeps ducks and geese in her tiny backyard! Time to push for a change I think! In the meantime, I'm buying my eggs from the local farm store.
Go to Top of Page

Oggie
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Ginny
Machias Maine
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2011 :  8:41:05 PM  Show Profile
We have to keep our girls fenced in because of the wild life too. So we built large 12' by 12' "pens" on both sides of the coop for them to be in. The idea was that one year they'd be on one side fertilizing and the next year on the other while we use the first side as a garden. But we went a step further last fall and plowed up a huge portion of one field we have for the garden so we will probably let them be on both sides this summer. We put the grass clippings in there for them to eat up along with feed and treats. We don't have a rooster yet, hence the door, lol.

Ginny
Farmgirl #2343
www.thedewhopinn.com

"I always have a wonderful time, wherever I am, whomever I'm with."
"Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it." Both by Elwood P. Dowd (Jimmy Stewart) in the Movie Harvey
Go to Top of Page

pleasantvalleyfarm1
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Beckyann
Tillamook oregon
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2011 :  10:52:36 AM  Show Profile
Pinkwitchy thanks for the infor on scoring. We have 15 old girlsand 12 girls that just started laying and yesterday we just bought 21 chicks. We sell our eggs for $4.00 a doz. here in Oregon. It is so much fun being a chicken farmer. Yesterday for breakfast I had a double yoker, the egg was as big as a duck egg. Loving our farm!

Farmgirl Forever!
Go to Top of Page

pinkwitchy~farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

230 Posts

Beverly
Lee's Summit MO
USA
230 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2011 :  9:08:34 PM  Show Profile
Ginny, LOVE the coop! Too CUTE!

Beckyann, welcome to MJF! I love it when we get double-yolkers! My son thinks it's the coolest thing ever! He actually goes through all the eggs (we buy 3dz at a time) and looks for the biggest ones....hoping they're doubles!

Go to Top of Page
  HomeSafeHome: Previous Topic How do your Organic Eggs Score Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page