Author Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic Everything Herbal Next Topic  

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2011 :  7:45:58 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
I thought it would be really fun to have a place where we could share books, articles, stories, etc about everything having to do with herbal medicine. . I have been interested in herbs since I was a little girl. I remember putting on my little house on the prairie dress each morning and go out with a pair of scissors and a basket to my moms herb garden, picking as many herbs as I could get away with and come inside to make “herbal soup” ( which was really crushed herbs with water)with the herbs I had collected then I would “spoon feed” it to my dolls. That’s how it all started. Since then I have gotten tons of books, DVDs, videos, anything I could get my hands on about herbs, aromatherapy, and essential oils. I just love it!!! I have also really gotten into herbal medicine for animals.
I would love to hear from other herbalists!!
Hugs,
Hannah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Lifes not about the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away.

Just a small town country girl, farmgirl,loggergirl, trying to live her dreams. :)

P.s. I've been playing around with the spelling of my name ( weird I know) and I've decided that I will stick with Hannah for good. Sorry I got you all confused. Hugs!!

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2011 :  11:36:57 AM  Show Profile
Hi Hannah!
I love your post,I was much the same way as a child,I enjoyed tailing my Unci (Grandmother) around as she made herbal medicines,she was also great at doctoring livestock with herbs and I'm thankful to have learned alot of her ways,I really enjoy Susun Weed and Julliette De Baracali Levy's approach to herbal medicines and rearing of animals.

"Today's Mighty Oak is just Yesterday's Nut"
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2011 :  6:04:24 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Hi Kathryn! I'm so glad to find another "kindred spirit" who loves herbal stuff too!! :)
Hugs,
Hannah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Lifes not about the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away.

Just a small town country girl, farmgirl,loggergirl, trying to live her dreams. :)

P.s. I've been playing around with the spelling of my name ( weird I know) and I've decided that I will stick with Hannah for good. Sorry I got you all confused. Hugs!!
Go to Top of Page

lilwing
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Brooke
Fulshear Texas
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2011 :  6:06:38 PM  Show Profile  Send lilwing a Yahoo! Message
Hey, lil sis, did you know I am a certified herbalist? :) Have you looked at bulkherbstore.com and/or Mountain Rose herbs? That is so cute that you'd make an herbal soup for your dolls! :D

~~~~
Proud Farmgirl #775

Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2011 :  6:13:39 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Brooke, no I didn't!! Wow, you are always full of surprises! LOL! Did you take a online class or?! I have looked at both those online stores before. I love them so much!
My mom thought I was so funny when I would feed the herbal soup to my dolls. lol I think I even tried to feed it to our dog but she wouldn't have any of it ( I don't blame her)!
Hugs,
Hannah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2011 :  8:23:36 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Does anyone know of herbs that are good for headaces?! I have been suffering from headaces for a couple of days now and they aren't getting better. Any ideas or remidies?
Hugs,
Hannah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2866 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2866 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2011 :  11:27:04 AM  Show Profile
Lavender essential oil rubbed on forehead & temples
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2011 :  3:41:08 PM  Show Profile
I take a combo of white willow, feverfew, eyebright and elderflower in capsules. Works pretty good for most of my headaches. Not all of them, unfortunately.

I suppose this is a good reminder for me to make some more capsules as I ran out! =)

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2011 :  9:15:12 PM  Show Profile
I love lavender but I can't have it in the house...it is one smell that triggers a migraine every time.....I have found that to calm them sometimes a homemade tea of Lemongrass, mints,anise helps relax me enough to help. I mix about 2T of the lemongrass & mints & a pinch of the anise seeds or break off a piece of the star anise....I steep it in 16 ounces of water for bout 15 mins then add honey to it. i like it hot so after it steeps I tend to pop it in the microwave to reheat....anther thing that really helps me is to get into a hot bath with Eucalyptus oil....for some reason that always relaxes me & it smells wonderful...good for the sinuses as well or chest cold..... I suffer from a lot of allergies & my pets cause some of the worst headaches from being allergic to them...but will i give them up.....NO...ain't happenin' so I deal with the headaches as healthy as I can...Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2011 :  4:23:48 PM  Show Profile
Magnesium works well for me. Butcher's broom is also good.

Rachel
Do not ask the Lord to guide your footsteps, if you are not willing to move your feet--Dr. Kioni
Go to Top of Page

Fannie
True Blue Farmgirl

67 Posts

North Huntingdon PA
USA
67 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2011 :  1:11:01 PM  Show Profile
I was wondering if there is a herb for underactive thyroid...I take the synthroid...but the way the world is going,I'm so afraid it won't be available...I'm looking for another option...

Fannie
Farm Girl #2746
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2011 :  9:38:47 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Thank you girls so much! I will try everything to see if it helps. :)
Hugs,
Hannah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

earthmamaT
True Blue Farmgirl

96 Posts

Tammy
portola California
96 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2011 :  4:06:34 PM  Show Profile
I love this post! My first memory of my great grandmothers and grandmother was gathering wild herbs. I came from the Appalachia mountains & my family used herbs for everything. When I was growing up they called my great grandmothers "witches". When someone in the "holler" was sick they would be told to visit one of the withces for an herbal remedy. My husband didn't know this story but I had to share it with him when he & his family refered to me as a "good witch" because I was always giving them herbs to use Herbs are in my blood Even when I was older and living in an apartment I had pots on my balcony filled with herbs. Now when you come into my home it is filled with tea blends, oils infused with herbs, tinctures, salves, herbal vinegars and more...

Tammy ~
"Be the change you want to see in the world" Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2011 :  6:53:15 PM  Show Profile
I use a supplement formula called thyroid support (and one called adrenal support)basically anything from the sea supports the thyroid--kelp, bladderwrack, dulse, etc. Iodoral has also been very helpful for me.

Rachel

Do not ask the Lord to guide your footsteps, if you are not willing to move your feet--Dr. Kioni

http://www.mynsp.com/rksmith
Go to Top of Page

Fannie
True Blue Farmgirl

67 Posts

North Huntingdon PA
USA
67 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2011 :  3:19:08 PM  Show Profile
Thanks rksmith! I guess you would get those at a GNC. I have one close by. Thanks again!

Fannie
Farm Girl #2746
Go to Top of Page
  Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic Everything Herbal Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page