one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2011 :  3:37:09 PM  Show Profile
Hi. I have recently become obsessed. Anyone else? What is your fave cardstock? So far I have only used really cheap stuff and Papertrey Ink, which is great.

Trish

Make cupcakes not war!

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2011 :  4:31:56 PM  Show Profile
I like making cards. I use what ever is around. I like to use stamps, stickers, paper and ribbon too. Buttons, brads---like I said whever is handy. I have no favorite brand of anything. It is just fun. Just finished with the Valentine Card swap--36cards--I really enjoyed that. MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com

"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13586 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13586 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2011 :  8:47:39 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
I, too, am a cardmaker. I don't focus on any one brand, just what I like the feel of. I make a LOT of cards and journals. Like MaryBeth, I use anything I can get my hands on and let the creative juices flow!!!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

From my Hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

debbies journey
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

debbie
anchorage ak
USA
635 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2011 :  01:20:59 AM  Show Profile
I try to find my supplies at the thrift shops.
I'm a beginner so I don't have any favorites yet!
I went into one shop looking for papers and found a nice
bundle, with two packages still new in the wrappers! It was my lucky day!
Debbie
Go to Top of Page

KellyWall
True Blue Farmgirl

336 Posts

Kelly
Apison Tn
USA
336 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2011 :  03:39:43 AM  Show Profile
I am new to making cards, I have lots of the Stampin' up products, my favorite is my Bigshot die cutter. I love using different products especially anything vintage.

Kelly #238

May your bobbin always be full...
Go to Top of Page

CasieD
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

Casie
Edgar WI
USA
34 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2011 :  04:26:11 AM  Show Profile
Trish, I make cards and LOVE Papertrey Ink cardstock!! They have lots of wonderful products.

I also use Bazzill and CTMH cardstock occasionally. For my card bases I like to use a heavy 110# cover weight paper. Makes a nice sturdy base.

Casie

http://www.etsy.com/shop/designsbycd

http://www.designsbycd.com/
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2011 :  07:07:56 AM  Show Profile
I started out using what I had from general crafting, and found, that cards won't stand horizontally. I was putting a lot of effort into them, and becoming frustrated. So I started looking around on Splitcoaststampers.com, and found that the swaps require quality cardstock.

CasieD: I will try those brands also. I also noticed that the thinner paper in an embossing folder can get cut through.

Kelly: You are preaching to the choir. I got a bigshot for Christmas. I did my first stampin up order, and mostly ordered adhesives, because it's actually cheaper than most stores. Do you love TIm Holtz? My fave vintage so far is Crafty Secrets.

Trish

Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

LeighErica
True Blue Farmgirl

306 Posts

Erica
PA
USA
306 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2011 :  04:28:23 AM  Show Profile
I am a paper crafter too...have been for about 10 yrs now. My daughter actually says I have an obsession with collecting different types of paper..my selection is huge, I actually forget what I have. But, what I do, first and foremost, is I am not exclusive to one company or one name brand. I watch the flyers for Hobby Lobby, Micheals, Archivers, and online for sales on paper and stock up. Hobby Lobby just this week is having a 40% off sale on papers, and I leaped....but I don't know if that is nationwide...anyway, my creations flow with the seasons and times of the year, as well as the occasion. I rotate my supplies as well too...for example, we just finished with Valentines Day, so I packed up my papers, embellishments, ribbons, etc to make room for items that coordinate with Spring, Easter, Graduation, etc. I always leave my solid color cardstock out because the solids are the base for all my projects....rarely do I start off with a print.....but I do layer, and layer, and embellish and all of that creates a very sturdy and detailed design. I do not use construction paper as a base....nor printing paper...really cannot tell you the weight of my cardstock, but it is sturdy. Not so sturdy though, that when you crease it, it is difficult to do and cracks....that would be unattractive. The printed papers very in weight and I just got a pack of beautiful recycled nature themed paper and love it. I do not buy single sheets of printed paper either...I always buy a pack usually the scrapbook size, because it is so varied in selection, and I save the scraps for reuse. Hope this helps, enjoy your new hobby. Hugs, Erica
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2011 :  06:31:59 AM  Show Profile
I am going to a scrapbooking convention in Portland, Or, at the end of the month. I am very exited to see things up close, like Tim Holtz. Tee hee. So far my favorite prints are from Graphic 45.
Erica is my hero. I let a rolling paper rack go at Goodwill. I thought, "I'll NEVER have that much paper!" Silly woman.

Trish

Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

LeighErica
True Blue Farmgirl

306 Posts

Erica
PA
USA
306 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2011 :  10:30:15 AM  Show Profile
Ok, I am blushing....you are sweet:) A rolling paper rack!!! Oh my....you should go back and see if it is still there....and even if you don't have paper to fill it now, you can always put other stuff on/in it, right? I do that too though, walk away and pass stuff up. My loft area where I craft is not fancy at all...it is a mish-mosh of unused furniture. My sofa table is being used to extend the camping table (that is where I craft) and it holds all my papers in baskets, boxes, etc. An old bookshelf is under the window and it holds just anything and everything .... but I would love a completely organized space...although, I have heard artists are quite messy and I get messy with my stuff;) The convention in Portland sounds so cool. Please let us know how it goes...I have never been to one, but I have heard they are just full of new ideas and gadgets:) Happy crafting, Erica
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Cardmakers? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page