Page: of 2

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2005 :  1:41:36 PM  Show Profile
Bramble ,Do they have a webb site? I am always on the look out for suppliers. Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2005 :  2:51:25 PM  Show Profile
Eileen--- The site is www.caneandreed.com. The site is brief but informative and the service has always been great. I even called for help once in the middle of a chair and someone talked me through my dilemna! The basketry supplies have been good quality also. Hope this is another source for you!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2005 :  12:33:16 PM  Show Profile
Hi guys, I am still weighing my abilities in attempting to re-cane my historic rocking chair myself. I have looked and looked at it, and I saw the caning kit online for 15.00 (thank you, Eileen).

Now I can usually figure things out pretty good, but I feel if I tried to do this chair back myself, it would be all too obvious it was my first try! I think I will save my money and have it done right, then try my hand on caning something that does not matter if it looks perfect or not! Your input has been very helpful, guys! It still sounds like something fun to learn. (I have never made baskets, either).
jpbluesky
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2005 :  9:09:26 PM  Show Profile
It's been some time apparently since anyone has posted in this subject, but I wanted to share about my favorite chair. I have it in my 3 little ones' room, in the corner, perfect to sit in and read bedtime stories (right now it's the Lemony Snicket series, but I digress...) A couple of months ago I was on my way to Wallyworld and happened upon a yard sale (one of the first of the season here) and I had to stop because I saw the most beautiful chair that just called out to me "take me home with you!". It's fairly small (perfect for me, since I'm 5'2"), it is around 80 years old and upholstered in what appears to be it's original beautiful faded rose fabric, light yellow and pink roses on a very pale blue background. It's so comfortable and perfect, and I knew as soon as I saw it that it belonged to ME

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." --Henry David Thoreau

**When life throws scraps your way ~ Make a Quilt!**
Go to Top of Page

bubblesnz
True Blue Farmgirl

291 Posts

helen

New Zealand
291 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2005 :  02:11:11 AM  Show Profile
Have to say my favourite chair, would be my bed :) Nothing beats curling up with a good book and a coffee there, especially now as we are in winter.
Have had a favorite top I wore, till it was just embarassing, but cant recall a chair ever having grabbed me this way.

A great oak, is just a little nut which held it's ground.
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2005 :  11:51:51 AM  Show Profile
Helen, Liked your post! I am the exact opposite, I like a bed to stretch out in in the summer to do my reading! I have a ceiling fan above it and it makes it cool and pleasant. The humming of the fan is soothing too. Sometimes I have a glass of mineral water and some lemons nearby, or iced herbal tea. I use a mister spray of homemade linen water for sheets that I spray on my face too! The heat here in Kansas is a killer right now. Line dried white cotton sheets add to the coolness.

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century. http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvg/cits/sb/sb101.html
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2005 :  12:48:08 PM  Show Profile
I love all of the descriptions of favorite chairs! Mine is an old white metal hospital crib with a side removed. It sits on my back deck covered in an old quilt and backed with lots of plump pillows. Just the right spot for tucking in and reading a good book. It is also the favorite spot of anyone who comes to visit. They don't want to leave.
Go to Top of Page

lamarguerite farm
True Blue Farmgirl

649 Posts

missy
Battle Ground Wa
USA
649 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2005 :  2:32:48 PM  Show Profile
Sorry about the new topic on one that was already started! I clicked on the wrong thing and didn't realise it until it was too late. I'm still trying to figure all of this out.

Blessings,

Missy
LaMarguerite Farm
Go to Top of Page

lamarguerite farm
True Blue Farmgirl

649 Posts

missy
Battle Ground Wa
USA
649 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2005 :  9:36:11 PM  Show Profile
My favorite chair is one that my husband bought for me on our anniversary four years ago. He decided to humor me and we went antiqueing together. I found a worn wicker rocker that was chippy and missing a few "threads". It has the original cotton/spring filled cushion and I keep it covered in fresh cottage floral looking fabrics.It sits on my front porch where the cats sleep when they think I'm not looking!! It reminds me of my husbands thoughtfullness every time I step onto my porch. It's a place to sit and take off your garden shoes after a long afternoon of weeding or caring for the animals. It often calls out to me to enjoy an iced tea and the peacefullness around me.

Missy
LaMarguerite Farm

-I relocated this post and someone told me I could delete the other, but wasn't able to find the icon to delete it.(sorry guys!)
Go to Top of Page

Susie Q
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Susan
So. California
USA
122 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2005 :  8:40:07 PM  Show Profile
I've got two chairs one is a seafoam green velour club chair that fits me. I'm 5'2" and in that chair my feet and reach the floor so I dont have the seat cushion pressing behind my knees. It's the one to cuddle up in. I just slip covered it in a rose chintz.

The other is and old wooden teachers chair. I used it for everything and have had it forever and a day. It gets moved from room to room - kitchen, back yard, porch, bathroom as I cook, sew, exercise, shave my legs, or as I do a hundred other things. If my back is bothering me I find I can sit in it the best.

Edited by - Susie Q on Nov 05 2005 8:41:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2005 :  3:49:39 PM  Show Profile
Susan - hilarious! A fave chair to shave your legs. Now, that is a favorite!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 HomeSafeHome: Previous Topic Your Favorite Chair Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page