Author Farmgirl Fashion: Previous Topic hiding my stomach Next Topic  

pnickols
True Blue Farmgirl

808 Posts

Patricia
Parma Ohio
808 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2011 :  05:06:45 AM  Show Profile
anyone have any suggestions for fashions that help hide my stomach. I have gained some weight and it is all in my belly, I swear some days I look pregnant and no that is not even a possibility :) just want to disguise it abit while I work on losing a few pounds

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2011 :  05:11:41 AM  Show Profile
Wear a big loose flowing shirt and belt it at your hips and blouse it above the belt.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

Happy to be a "Raggedy Ann" in a Barbie World!

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

TabithaLenox
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Kim
Gettysburg PA
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2011 :  05:23:09 AM  Show Profile
Wearing layers can be really helpful....a jacket or sweater that skims the body with a top underneath that is a little loose and flowy can help create balance. Stay away from tight t-shirts, tank tops and knits that accent the tightness in the tummy area.

Do you watch the show 'What Not To Wear' on the TLC channel? There's lots of great info there on hiding a tummy. They also have info on the website.

The style this season (and I think is becoming a classic trend that won't go away any time soon) is the bohemian look...but less hippy/60's and more simple and modern. You can find inexpensive tops at Target, KMart and Walmart that are really cute and look great with jeans. But try them on first to make sure it's a look you like, some look great, others not so much...

Have fun with it! I've been redoing my wardrobe recently for the exact same issue and I've been pleasantly surprised at how much I like my new style. My basic wardrobe is jeans and boots...so whatever I wore had to go with that or it wouldn't work for me!

Kim
Farmgirl #184

http://www.tabithalenox.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

pnickols
True Blue Farmgirl

808 Posts

Patricia
Parma Ohio
808 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2011 :  06:09:52 AM  Show Profile
thanks Tabitha, I also find myself wanting more color and new styles, maybe the impending empty nest has something with it, like rediscovering yourself. I am usually in jeans and t's, rarely add anything else. and I will check out "what not to wear"
Go to Top of Page

TabithaLenox
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Kim
Gettysburg PA
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2011 :  06:26:58 AM  Show Profile
Impending empty nest has ALOT to do with it! I started this process when my son was graduating high school 2 years ago and I had gained 15 lbs as he was getting ready to go to college. I managed to stop gaining more weight, but haven't lost any of it either...and felt so horrible in all the clothes I was used to wearing. I think it's that time in life where we have to remake ourselves as part of the right of passage. I have really struggled with this but am finally feeling like I found 'me' again, inside and out...I try to take it day to day, and have found that being absolutely honest with myself, cleaning out my closet and donating anything that doesn't work for me any longer has helped alot!

Kim
Farmgirl #184

http://www.tabithalenox.blogspot.com

Edited by - TabithaLenox on Apr 15 2011 06:28:14 AM
Go to Top of Page

LeighErica
True Blue Farmgirl

306 Posts

Erica
PA
USA
306 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2011 :  06:48:31 AM  Show Profile
Hi Patricia...we sound so much alike. I am very short (4'9") and have a belly too from the 3 C-sections and life. It is always a challenge trying to hide my belly. Over the years I have gotten more comfortable with myself and accentuate the things that I like...and accept the things I can't change. No matter how much exercising I do my belly does not go away. As I lose weight..it becomes even more obvious and I get alot of questions about when I am due...it drives me crazy, because I would never ask someone that unless I was positive they were already expecting. My one friend introduced me to tank tops that are like control tops and I wear them alot under blouses and shirts...but only if I am going somewhere nice/special. They are kinda tight, but as my Aunt Ruth used to say, "sometimes you have to suffer to be beautiful.";) They hold my middle in and smooth at the same time. I have gotten mine at various places...JC Penney, Sears, & Target. I am sure you can find them anywhere though;) When I am not wearing one...I do layer with sweaters and such, but my go to staple all most every day is a hoodie...I love them..have alot in different colors...and they are comfy and some are very cute. Kohl's has some really cute ones all year. I am no fashion guru by any means, but I feel your pain....good luck with the weight loss...can't wait to hear how it goes. Hugs, Erica
Go to Top of Page

Ingrid
True Blue Farmgirl

432 Posts

Ingrid
BC
Canada
432 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2011 :  07:40:56 AM  Show Profile
After thirty years in retail this is what I've learned generally the rule of thumb is if you wear flowing on top you wear fitted on the bottom. So make sure your bottoms whether skirt or pants are not flowing as well or you will look square. Also stay away from leggings. Straight leg pants or jeans are perfect with flowing top. Also stay away from empire waist - right below the bust - as this will accent the stomach. Good luck

Give thanks to yourself everyday for all the wonderful things you do!
Go to Top of Page

Violets November
True Blue Farmgirl

342 Posts

Violet
Exeter California
USA
342 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2011 :  3:51:00 PM  Show Profile
Something like an empire waist might be good. A top that goes to your hips with dark levi jeans. Rayon drapes well and is forgiving.

~Violet~
Farmgirl Sister #1669

My blog, http://hiddenacre.blogspot.com/
Our Organic Jewelry, http://www.etsy.com/shop/GaelicForge
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2011 :  05:24:23 AM  Show Profile
Sweatshirts! ;) And either a high waisted or low waisted garment-and Yummy Tummy tanks! I love my yummy tummy! :) I've still got about 10 lbs after the birth of my second child-it's still here after 11 weeks, so I've been using those!

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2011 :  7:00:24 PM  Show Profile
Have you ever watched "How to look good naked" ? I love that show (one of the few I actually watch), anyway they always have some good advice on dressing for your body and I love that they have real women with real body types and issues on there. If you go to Lifetime you can find some info from the show, with dressing tips for body types.

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

Do not ask the Lord to guide your footsteps, if you are not willing to move your feet--Dr. Kioni

http://www.mynsp.com/rksmith
http://madame1313.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

pnickols
True Blue Farmgirl

808 Posts

Patricia
Parma Ohio
808 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2011 :  05:03:49 AM  Show Profile
never seen that show, have to check it out, I finally found a pair of jeans that sit on my waist ,not low rise which just make me look bigger, and am trying to pay more attention to the tops I wear, that one with stacey london is helpful too, he has a book out which I checked out at the library. I like that he said to dress how you look now not how you want to look and that everyone is beautiful, cuz I really don't feel too beautiful anymore
Go to Top of Page
  Farmgirl Fashion: Previous Topic hiding my stomach Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page