Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Magazine: Call for Entries
 Keeping in Touch
 What's vintage in your kitchen?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic What's vintage in your kitchen? Next Topic
Page: of 8

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2011 :  11:53:52 AM  Show Profile
I have a huge collection of white enamel wash pots, antique egg beaters...antique water ladles...plus one of those 1950's silver metal colored things for foil, paper towels ect that I found after I found the metal all in one flour, sugar, coffee,tea thing of the same years....I also have some handmade 1930's pretty little pot holders that never ever got used but are pretty to look at.....anything I can find that reminds me of my Grandmother or Mother I try to keep around me in the kitchen....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

Mariebelle
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Marie
Clarkston WA
USA
54 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2011 :  12:38:19 PM  Show Profile
Leslie-
Its Marie-
Where can i find the recipe for Buttermilk pie? That sounds delicious! Gotta be a Southern thing- the things i miss most!

Michele-
I saw one of those metal organizers for foil, plastic wrap and didn't get it- Darn, i don't know if i can remember where i saw it, one of those things that i'm not sure if i'll use or not and where to put it? One of these days i'll learn just to buy it when i see it, did that last year at a store i will probably never go back to (different state) now i kick myself for not getting the old jar lifter for canning! ARRGHH

Born in the wrong era...
Marie
Go to Top of Page

letpeoplewonder
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

Leslie
Greensboro NC
USA
15 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2011 :  3:10:03 PM  Show Profile
Marie- I'm so sorry! Of course you would ask for the one thing I am forbidden to share. It's my grandmother's recipe and now it's a secret family recipe! I will encourage you to look up buttermilk pie and give it a try. It sort of tastes like a mix between a chess pie and the filling below the pecan in pecan pie...it is most definitely a Southern thing!

why can't i be more conventional? people talk, people stare, so i try. but that can't be, because i can't see, my strange little world just go passing me by...so let people wonder...
Go to Top of Page

vegetarian farmer
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Jane
Freedom pa
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2011 :  3:10:08 PM  Show Profile
I find myself obtaining more and more vintage items so I can use them. We went off grid and therefore have to conserve what we use electric for. So I tossed the refrigerator and use an antique ice box for keeping our food cool. Everything that hand cranks I love. And all the vintage cook wear is just built so much better than anything they make today and it is all USA made. I long for a return to when things were made to last.

http://hardworkhomestead.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Joey
True Blue Farmgirl

1868 Posts

Joey
Gulf Coast FL
USA
1868 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2011 :  9:42:16 PM  Show Profile
Elaine, before I knew what I had and what I was doing, I had the large orange (Fiesta red) bowl that went with your set. I used it as an outdoor doggy water bowl. The water froze and cracked the bowl. Now, I could just howl about this.
Yes, of course, it's Hoosier. Thanks Jakie. I'd love to show a picture but it is in storage like most of the rest of my life. Sorry. Joey

Well behaved women rarely make history.
Go to Top of Page

mandashell
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Amanda
Norco California
USA
61 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2011 :  2:28:21 PM  Show Profile
So neat to hear about all the cool stuff you all have! Love the Fiesta Ware bowls!!

http://hopscotchdandelions.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

fille de ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

2344 Posts

Madeline
Meadow Lands Pa.
USA
2344 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2011 :  04:49:00 AM  Show Profile
Hi :) I have alot of vintage in my kitchen as well as my whole house :) They made everything so much better back then. I really try to stay away from new ;)

Blessings
Go to Top of Page

joy lynn
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

joy
center line MI
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2011 :  12:15:09 PM  Show Profile
I have lots of old spice tins, A & P related grocery items and really am partial to my colorful Pyrex mixing bowls and I use them all the time. I also have my moms electric hand mixer in faded pink from the 50' or 60's and it still works great. Love the old stuff. Store most of my food items in glassware as well. Great topic.

Buckwheat
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2011 :  04:31:03 AM  Show Profile
I'd say the stoneware crock from my husbands great, great grandma. It's just beautiful. Every time I use it I try to think of those that went before me...

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

LucyLobo511
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Mari-lyn
Capron IL
USA
177 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2011 :  1:06:11 PM  Show Profile
Great Grandmas Wash pitcher and bowl It sets a top of the cabinets I can even see it from the livingroom

Insane and Blissfully Happy
Mari-lyn
Go to Top of Page

Sue Feely
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Sue
Buffalo New York
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2011 :  08:56:00 AM  Show Profile
I have several little display items but my biggest item is a kitchen table and chairs from the 50's, table and 1 leaf, and 6 chairs, all chrome and salmon in color!
Go to Top of Page

BalancingAct
True Blue Farmgirl

297 Posts

Jackie
Hoosierville
USA
297 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2011 :  09:12:39 AM  Show Profile
I was "teasing" about Hoosier. Most people have a hard time spelling it, although I knew what you meant, and I love to tease. Hope you didn't take offense to it.

Bummer Joey My grandparents have the Hoosier Cabinet that my G-Grandmother had. Someday, I hope to inherit it and put it in my kitchen. I like to look at pictures to see the different models made. Certainly hope you can get your "life" out of storage soon. That's no fun. Hugs to ya!

quote:
Originally posted by Joey

Elaine, before I knew what I had and what I was doing, I had the large orange (Fiesta red) bowl that went with your set. I used it as an outdoor doggy water bowl. The water froze and cracked the bowl. Now, I could just howl about this.
Yes, of course, it's Hoosier. Thanks Jakie. I'd love to show a picture but it is in storage like most of the rest of my life. Sorry. Joey

Well behaved women rarely make history.

Farmgirl Sister #2851 -"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

http://www.fiberandherbscottage.blogspot.com/

Edited by - BalancingAct on Jun 13 2011 09:14:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

Carrie W
Farmgirl Legend/Chapter Guru

437 Posts

Saratoga Springs New York
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2011 :  07:54:42 AM  Show Profile
Deborah,

I also have an old (60's) Sunbeam hand mixer that was my mom's. I cannot believe the thing still works. I love it! It is the same green color as your mixmaster, and so "traditional" compared to the other things in my kitchen which are new out of necessity.

Carrie

www.apronsoftheadirondacks.blogspot.com

Farmgirl Sisterhood #147
2009 Farmgirl of the Year

Tis better to weep at joy than to joy at weeping--Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing
Go to Top of Page

shepherdwagen
Farmgirl in Training

41 Posts

Susan
Winterset Iowa
USA
41 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2011 :  9:35:19 PM  Show Profile  Send shepherdwagen a Yahoo! Message

I rent a house that has what appears to be the original kitchen. It has the metal cabinetry and black and white tile floors, and wider woodwork.
I have a 1920's Universal gas stove--has the Queen Anne legs with the oven up on the left hand side. My refrigerator is a 1951 GE. I got the fridge last fall to replace my 1941 GE that still runs, but the door won't latch.

Susan

"I've childproofed my house, but they keep getting in."
Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2011 :  05:24:42 AM  Show Profile
I have my husbands grandmothers glass coffee pot. I am not sure if it originally had a lid (it doesn't now). It was a silex marked for 6 cups. The glass bowl that sits on top the coffee pot (that held the grounds) still has the orignal filter. I never knew her but after raising 13 children I imagined it was used alot. I later found out she was a tea drinker so this must have been for everyone else!
Go to Top of Page

Tina Kay
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

Tina Kay
Deary ID
USA
107 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2011 :  11:10:45 AM  Show Profile
I have vintage dishes (pyrex harvest gold)and American Limoges Yellow daisy china (it was my great grandmothers), juicer and coffee grinder (which I haven't used yet). I use them daily. The things I buy are usually things that bring back memories of family members past and they just bring me back to a more simpler time. That brings me comfort.

Happy it is, indeed, for me that my heart is capable of feeling the same simple and innocent pleasure as the peasant whose table is covered with food of his own rearing, and who not only enjoys his meal, but remembers with delight the happy days and sunny mornings when he planted it, the soft evenings when he watered it, and the pleasure he experienced in watching it’s daily growth.

J.W. von Goethe (the Sorrows of Werther)

Edited by - Tina Kay on Jun 21 2011 11:13:48 AM
Go to Top of Page

shmily
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Sandra

2 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2011 :  9:07:03 PM  Show Profile  Send shmily a Yahoo! Message
We have many vintage things in our kitchen. We have cast iron, pie safe, old aprons,vintage mixing bowels. We keep adding every chance we get!

shmily
Go to Top of Page

KatTylee
True Blue Farmgirl

230 Posts

Katrina
Mitchell Nebraska
USA
230 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2011 :  2:30:28 PM  Show Profile
My cast iron is the most used vintage item in my kitchen, but I have lots of items. My potato masher, a spatula, tea cups, my great-grandmothers wedding crystal sugar bowl and creamer along with who knows what else. The house is vintage too. 1912 and my kitchen is the "new" section of the house. It was probably added in the '30s or '40s. I love my old house in spite of how cold it can get in the winter.

~"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."
— Oscar Wilde~
Go to Top of Page

Oggie
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Ginny
Machias Maine
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2011 :  10:04:09 PM  Show Profile
The only thing "new" in my kitchen was my dishwasher but it broke so I do them by hand now, lol!

Ginny
Farmgirl #2343
www.thedewhopinn.com

"I always have a wonderful time, wherever I am, whomever I'm with."
"Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it." Both by Elwood P. Dowd (Jimmy Stewart) in the Movie Harvey
Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2011 :  09:33:36 AM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
I forgot!! Back on the farm, in our little house (its being rented out right now) I have the sweetest blue canisters, dishes, and cookie jar. They are covered in geese pecking through fruit baskets. The entire kitchen was designed around them, so the new tenants asked if I'd leave them. There is even a matching vintage clock on the wall there, that matches.

The tears I shed then, watered the flowers I harvest now.

www.broken908.blogspot.com
http://forums.familyfriendpoems.com/broken908

"The aim of education is the knowledge not of facts but of values."-Dean William Ralph Inge
Go to Top of Page

leenh
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

lee
weare nh
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2011 :  10:18:38 AM  Show Profile
Well to start with, my entire kitchen is vintage since our home is nearly 200 years old!
I have very old cookie cutters, I also have one of those old hand potato mashers that I use instead of a mixer. Yes, there are lumps but at least people know they aren't instant mashed, right? LOL
I also have a very old set of dishes that I use only on Holidays. They are from England. I think the name of the set is something like Royal Mail...they are brown and white and very very special. My mother spent a lot of time at flea markets and antique shops finding various pieces to this set.
There is an old flat iron that they used to put on a stove to heat up that is now a door-stop.

Born in the city with a Country Heart
Go to Top of Page

Merry
True Blue Farmgirl

765 Posts

Merry
Ankeny Iowa
USA
765 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2011 :  10:37:10 AM  Show Profile
I have a set of depression era dishes that I love to use, especially in the summer, when I have lots of bounty from my garden, and I love green depression glass kitchenware, measuring cups, beater jars and mixing bowls. I just think the vintage all goes well with my feedsack apron, it lets me pretend its a less complicated and safter world.

Merry
Farmgirl #536

http://afarminmyheart.blogspot.com/

Your life is an occasion, rise to it. Mr. Magorium
Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2011 :  05:01:45 AM  Show Profile
Me!

~ Elaine
Farmgirl sister #2822

"Find yourself a cup of tea; the teapot is behind you. Now tell me about hundreds of things." ~Saki

http://embchicken.blogspot.com

http://gusandtrudy.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

GardenDancer
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

4 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2011 :  5:50:03 PM  Show Profile
I have a set of Swedish coffee cups and a coffee perking pot that used to be my husband's gramdma's. They read "coffee maketh bright the soul". I love them! Often I take a sip of my morning brew and wonder what it was like for her to wake up on her farm in the 1930s. The thoughts, the smell of coffee and the new sunrise all put a smile to my face....
Go to Top of Page

Jodygirl27
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Jody
Melbourne FL
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2011 :  4:45:46 PM  Show Profile

Wow, I have lots of vintage/antique stuff in my kitchen. I have a buttr'y in which I keep homemade noodles and dried goods in glass jars. I eat off of granite wear plates, and have a collection of red and white wooden handled kitchen utensils. I store my bread in a white bread granite wear container. I have several old coffee pots on display. I have hand-dipped candles, an old antique telephone. Lots of Ball canning jars, old bread boards. I would love an old working Amish cook stove, maybe some day. I am on the look out for primitive kitchen items also. It all is so cozy, nothing shiny and fancy for me.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic What's vintage in your kitchen? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page