woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2011 :  08:36:14 AM  Show Profile
If you buy meat by the half or quarter how much is it? Say for beef and pork. I am have never bought meat this way, but really want to start. Just a ballpark figure would really help me in convincing the other half! Thanks ladies!

Liz
Farmgirl #1947
www.militaryfarmgirl.blogspot.com

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4130 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4130 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2011 :  10:52:01 AM  Show Profile
different areas are going to have different prices.
you need to know how you will be buying the meat. I sell mine whole half or quarter, and it includes all processing, but it is sold by hanging weight. That is the weight the butcher goes by when charging me, and that is how I charge the customer. Hanging weight is the weight of the half of beef or pork. There is percentages of loss from hanging weight to the weight of packages you take home. Of course I can't find my papers right now that tell the amount of loss. But just because you are paying for 200 lbs, that does not mean you will be bringing home that amount. Alot of people get confused over that. I sell to mostly family, and it was 2.00 a pound hanging weight. This year that will have to go up as processing, butchering, and feed are all up. Ya I would like to make more money on the animals, but kind of hard with family.
On the plus side, you don't ever have to worry about recalls. If you know the person selling, you can usually see how the animals are raised. Knowing they were raised naturally, and humanly butchered, all means alot.
If you find a person to buy from, maybe see if they will sell you a couple different cuts, and see if you like the meat. Just my thoughts, and hopefully not too confusing.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

Mini
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Cheryl
Kentucky
27 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2011 :  12:03:59 PM  Show Profile
Liz, I bought half a hog back in April and I paid $140 for it. I ended up with something like 89 pounds of meat minus the 20 pounds of bacon and sausage.

Mini
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Price of Meat? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page