Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Magazine: Call for Entries
 Keeping in Touch
 How 'bout painting a refrigerator??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic How 'bout painting a refrigerator?? Next Topic  

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2011 :  08:20:26 AM  Show Profile
Has anyone done this? I am moving into a new home ; not new but new to me.
I love the kitchen except for the really boring fridge so I'm thinking of ways to make it more farmgirl.
Just above the backsplash I am papering with a row of fruit crate labels and most everything I have is accented in red.
Do you think I could paint a refrigerator BARN RED??

Has snybody done this or have any tips for me??
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.etsy.com
www.dreamingofspringtime.etsy.com
Love that good ole vintage junk

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2011 :  3:37:55 PM  Show Profile
I haven't painted one but I did cover one in "stainless steel" contact paper. I do think my mother-in-law covered hers in contact paper and then painted over it.

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Kirksmom71
True Blue Farmgirl

873 Posts

Mel
Dallas Texas
USA
873 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2011 :  3:46:51 PM  Show Profile
Try Lowes or Home Depot or some place like that.....they can help with suggestions of the proper paint and you may have to do some sort of metal primer. You will probably have to sand to rough up the existing finish. But it is certainly doable! Good luck.

My best to all,
Mel

Sassy City Girl with Farmgirl Fantasies!
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2011 :  4:20:32 PM  Show Profile
Yes! Red Fridge! Rough up the old paint-remove hardware-move outside-wash really well and dry-spray with Rustoleum in RED-do lots of light coats going different directions and overlapping-dry between coats-wear a mask-enjoy your RED Fridge!

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

Don't go with the flow...you are the flow.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

22angel
True Blue Farmgirl

498 Posts

Pam
Manitoba
Canada
498 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2011 :  7:41:53 PM  Show Profile
I think I read or saw somewhere (maybe tv way back when I actually had it) that there was special paint that you could buy for painting appliances, but I can't remember what. Check with home depot or whatever store you have, I'm sure they'll know. And I think it's really cool that you're wanting to paint it barn red! I'll have to remember that for when I get my own place eventually.

Life isn't about finding yourself. It's about creating yourself.

"When I grow up, I want to be dirt." seen on a box through construction in Wyoming 2010
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2011 :  10:19:38 PM  Show Profile
OOOHHH now I want to paint my fridge....pink lol :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

http://pinkprincessdecorating.blogspot.com/
Almost daily updates on me, my home and my crafts

Farmgirl sister # 2410
Go to Top of Page

Oggie
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Ginny
Machias Maine
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2011 :  9:34:56 PM  Show Profile
I bought special paint for my refridge from either True Value or Home Depot. It's in a spray can. I haven't tried it yet but I've heard it works well. Just take the refridge outside to do it. Good Luck!

Ginny
Farmgirl #2343
www.thedewhopinn.com

"I always have a wonderful time, wherever I am, whomever I'm with."
"Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it." Both by Elwood P. Dowd (Jimmy Stewart) in the Movie Harvey
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2011 :  1:46:32 PM  Show Profile
A friend of mine painted the front of hers with chalkboard paint and then place molding around it to look like it was framed. Really cute!

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Turtlemoon
Farmgirl Legend Schoolmarm

378 Posts

Tanya
Port Orchard Washington
USA
378 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2011 :  07:07:24 AM  Show Profile
I did this about 20 years ago and it worked out great! I remember back then having to go to the auto store to get the paint but now i am sure lowes or a good hardware store has something even better. Have fun!

Raggedy Ann stuck in a Barbie Doll World

FarmGirl#1737

http://www.etsy.com/shop/moonhonu
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2011 :  6:04:52 PM  Show Profile
I was totally thinking of doing this the other day-I think there's a thread on it somewhere-in chalkboard paint-complete with pictures! But my farmer/mechanic husband gets the handles and the fridge area behind those handles so greasy I'm unsure if that would ruin the paint. You'll have to tell me how it goes!

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2011 :  8:26:06 PM  Show Profile
i did ThAT TO THE OLD BEAT UP FRIG WE HAD AT THE OTHER HOUSE...IT WAS SUNFLOWER YELLOW...YEAH DID IT GET NOTICED....i USED ROUGH SAND PAPER OVER THE WHOLE FRIG THEN USED REGULAR SEMI GLOSS WALL PAINT THEN SPRAYED IT WITH A CLEAR SEALER...JUST HAVE TO REMEMBER NOT TO USE A SCRUBBY ON IT WHEN CLEANING...LOL...MICHELE'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2011 :  06:48:59 AM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
I painted my first fridge. It was a harvest green garage sale find, all scratched and chipped. I sanded it, and used an almond appliance spray paint. Lots of light coats later, and it looked great. my girlfriend still has it. I never even had trouble cleaning it. I would swear it was the appliance paint that worked so well.

The tears I shed then, watered the flowers I harvest now.

www.broken908.blogspot.com
http://forums.familyfriendpoems.com/broken908

"The aim of education is the knowledge not of facts but of values."-Dean William Ralph Inge
Go to Top of Page

NixKat
True Blue Farmgirl

288 Posts

Kathleen
CT
USA
288 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2011 :  12:00:40 PM  Show Profile  Send NixKat a Yahoo! Message
I once painted an ugly "avocado green" refrigerator that, like yours, came with the "new" house. We took off the door and hardware, sanded all the green areas, gave it a coating of RustOleum's spray primer, then finished it off with a few thin coats of Rustoleum's spray enamel in "almond" the color of choice back then. It looked great! Fooled everyone, so I gave the same treatment to the "brown" cook-top and wall-oven. Never had a bit of trouble with any of the appliances, they were still there looking great when we sold the house a few years later.
Go to Top of Page

lanikyea
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Lani
Clayton New Mexico
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2011 :  8:04:12 PM  Show Profile
I have had several fridges painted by a local automotive paint shop. Was super cheap because frige is so small and they had a blast doing the jobs. One very succesful one was a Candy Apple Metalic Red. The auto shop paint jobs are Very durable. Bet it will be so cute when your kitchen is complete. Good Luck.

"If you stumble make it part of your dance"
Go to Top of Page

BalancingAct
True Blue Farmgirl

297 Posts

Jackie
Hoosierville
USA
297 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2011 :  8:51:02 PM  Show Profile
Hmmmmmm. I think you gals just solved my camper stove dilemma. It is an ugly brown at the moment and I have been wondering what to do with it. (:))

Farmgirl Sister #2851 -"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

jollyquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

WV
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2011 :  6:54:22 PM  Show Profile
I have done it and as the others said, it works like a charm. Just take it outside and take the door off and the hardware. (easy to do) cleaned it well and then sanded a bit just for tooth and used automotive paint to get the color I wanted. Lots of light coats and not on a windy day.

I would love to see some pictures when youare done!!

www.StuffByKim.etsy.com
http://fiberandflea.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mommatracy
True Blue Farmgirl

490 Posts

Tracy
My. Olive NC
USA
490 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2011 :  3:17:52 PM  Show Profile
How about that new product from RustOleum that gives you a new finish on countertops. If it can stick to counters then maybe a fridge. Its tough and I wonder if it could be used on a refridgerator?

www.cottagebythebay.blogspot.com

~Trust in the Lord...but row away from the rocks~
Go to Top of Page
  Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic How 'bout painting a refrigerator?? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page