Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Pillowcases for Rescued Girls
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Pillowcases for Rescued Girls Next Topic
Page: of 2

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2011 :  08:36:25 AM  Show Profile
I would like to gather 25 handmade pillowcases to send to A New Day for Children, a home and rehabilitation center for rescued girls ages 10-18. Is anyone interested in helping? I will be sewing some of the pillowcases myself, gathering them all up, and sending them off in one big batch.
These girls are really getting a new start, so the materials chosen should be new, fresh, positive, feminine and modern. That said, if you feel very moved to use certain fabrics for whatever reason, please do! I think it is best to use 100% cotton fabrics, for comfort, though. Please attach a little note of encouragement to your pillowcase if possible, and sign it with your name and location. Every bit of care goes a long way! The website for New Day is www.newdayforchildren.com
There are a lot of free pillowcase tutorials online. If someone can post a link or links, that would be GREAT! I always fail at that.
October 15th is the tentative deadline. I will email all participants with my address.

We have met and exceeded our goal of pledges, just waiting for them to come in!
27- 30 pillowcases pledged!!!
Anonymous Farmgirl- 14 pillowcases, fulfilled!
Katmom - 2 pillowcases, fulfilled!
Mary LD - 2 pillowcases. fulfilled!
Tree Lady - 5- pledge fulfilled!
Acelady02- 2 fulfilled!
Beverly- A few and maybe more if we come up short- fulfilled!

Thanks, Y'all!
Mary LD

Edited by - MaryLD on Oct 12 2011 5:35:20 PM

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2011 :  09:45:20 AM  Show Profile
We already have one participant!
Please feel free to respond on this thread and tell us a little bit about yourself, any interests you may have,other charitable projects you support, or just to say hello and let us know how many pillowcases you pledge to make.
I will post the names and pledges of participants as they are updated daily.
I also plan to send a gift subscrition of MJF to the New Day Library at the time the pillowcases are shipped.

Mary LD

Haflingers- You can't have just one!
( I'm just one short of a drill team!)

Edited by - MaryLD on Aug 31 2011 11:21:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17025 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17025 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2011 :  11:52:52 AM  Show Profile
hey Mary,
sign me up for 2 pillow cases...
any particular size? reg/qn/kg ?
email me with an addy to send them to....
I'll be sure to attach a little noteand a lavender sachet along with each pillow.
hugz

(now you have 3...lol!)

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom.
"Is it time for my Dirt Manicure yet!"

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://www.graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Edited by - katmom on Aug 31 2011 11:54:52 AM
Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2011 :  7:01:22 PM  Show Profile
Awesome, Katmom!
I think regular size pillow cases will be just fine. Lavendar is a very nice idea. I will email you with my address.
Speaking of dirt manicure, I shovelled manure, mowed the grass and also went on a trail ride on my " day off" today!
Mary LD

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17025 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17025 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2011 :  7:25:28 PM  Show Profile
haha !lucky you.....
It was bloody cold and rained herew today... wish I could have sent some your way..... we have family in TX and they have been keeping us updated on the heat & problems it's causing....

I think I'll make queen size pillow cases, they can always be shortened....as well as used to store things in. Plus at sometime they might want to make an apron out of them! :>)

apron hugz

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2011 :  05:56:04 AM  Show Profile
i think this is awesome! i would like to pledge at least one case-probly two ----we are moving in two weeks so i have to be careful what i pledeg to do--- i'm thinking that i will put together some triangle and square patches of fabrics i have- some from farmgirls and some from other projects....kicky positives....

i have, in past, knitted chemo caps for capsforacure (whose founder just died after a wonderful fight!)and am involved in some relay for life stuff and walkforbabies (March of Dimes)....

please email me your address -and be sure to indicate that it's for the pillowcases....thx!!!
what fun!!! and for such a great purpose!!!!
margo

Farmgirl # 2139
~*~ counting my pennies and biding my time; my dreams are adding up!~*~
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

2283 Posts

Julie
Medina ND
USA
2283 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2011 :  06:52:10 AM  Show Profile
Hi Mary, I can do 2 pillow cases, possibly more if we get a break in harvest, what a great project! I do pillowcases locally for a batered womens shelter, lap robes for the nursing home, crochet baby items for various charities and am currently working on hats and scarves for Debs homeless shelter. Thank You for doing this Mary, I checked out thier web site and it just breaks my heart that this is happening, so much evil in the world!

Julie

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2011 :  07:59:01 AM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Mary, If I make 2 do they have to match or can they be different? Thanks

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2011 :  08:03:15 AM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Mary I hope these links help....

http://raisinghomemakers.com/2011/sewing-tutorial-how-to-make-a-pillow-case/

http://quilting.about.com/od/quiltpatternsprojects/ss/easy-pillowcase-pattern.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uY4mdHW_2Ww

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7moryq_ZRFY

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...
Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2011 :  10:54:19 AM  Show Profile
Hi Mary,

I'm doing the Fall pillowcase swap. While I'm putting those together, I'll stitch up another one. Here's the tutorial I'm using:
http://www.mormonchic.com/crafty/pillowcases.asp

By the way, you are so right about Haflingers...have one myself. She came as a pair, but unfortunately we lost her sister many years ago. Birdy is still going strong and approaching 30.

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
A Beehive is the ultimate Home Sweet Home
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2011 :  4:13:38 PM  Show Profile
mary-i finally am home trying to visit te site-all i get is a list of other sites and ads?

Farmgirl # 2139
~*~ counting my pennies and biding my time; my dreams are adding up!~*~
Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2011 :  4:57:24 PM  Show Profile
Not sure why that is. I will check into it. I think the other Farmgirls have been able to get to the site I intended. I will get back to you, and check in on other questions, a bit later tonight. Long day at work, have to do a few things for my landlord before the sun goes down!
Mary LD

Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2011 :  6:52:42 PM  Show Profile
I corrected the link to the website of New Day for Children- I had it as .org but it is .com!
Thanks for today's enthusiasm and new pledges! Especially the links for tutorials, for as you can see, I even failed to get the website right on my initial post....
The pillowcases do not need to match- 18 girls have been helped at New Day so far, and I thought 25 would give a small supply as new girls arrive for treatment and healing. It wuld be one pillowcase per girl. It is wonderful to hear of everyone's creative ideas, get a glimpse into your lives, and learn of your charitable work!

As for me, I am a midwife, and very committed to improving the lives of women. The Texas Health Department gave an inservice this year on the same issues these rescued girls are facing. I have done some charitable knitting, including the Caps For Good Farmgirls project. I volunteer with at risk youth at an annual Youth Outreach Ride here in Texas. Last year, I volunteered with Midwives for Haiti and organized a supplies drive with the help of the Farmgirls. I learned about New Day when a friend forwarded me an email from a theraputic riding program near New Day, which told of the work that program was doing to help the girls. Treelady is right, it is unbelieveable that this is going on in the world! This is something we can do to show we care.
My Best to all of you,
Mary LD

Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2011 :  6:54:41 PM  Show Profile
PS: Paula, glad to hear Birdy is strong at 30!

Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2011 :  8:53:14 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for answering my question Mary, Put me down for 2 pillowcases...since i don't have to make them the same. I have some fabric I wanted to use but it was only enough for one...this way I can use it and then other one I have. This is so wonderful of you to do this. I have a very special place in my heart for young girls. When I lived in TN it was one of my favorite things to be the Sunday school teacher of 16-18 year old girls. Girls have a hard enough time as it is growing up...and if I can help in anyway I would love too...again thank you for this...and thanks for fixing the link. I also love what you do, being a midwife, wow how rewarding that is.

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17025 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17025 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2011 :  7:27:41 PM  Show Profile
fyi,,, to make a simple easy peasy pillow case, take 1 yd of sweet cotton fabric.
I would suggest you pre-wash & iron the fabric before sewing together to remove any retardent/sizing on the fabric.
Fold the fabric, right sides together width wise to have a 22" wide by 36" long rectangle.
Sew across the bottom and then up the side.
Stitch a 1/4" hem at the top (opening)then fold it down about 3" and stitch as a wide hem.
Turn the fabric right side out.
Iron the fabric.....
(you can either trim the raw edges with pinking shears or use a serger or zigzag stitch.)
Now that you have a basic pillow case,,,decorate it with wide ric rac or lace or????
If you want to be even fancier, cut off 8" of the top (opening) of the pillow,, and stitch on a piece of contrasting fabric, you'll need about 19" which you will fold in half and then stitch onto the top opening.... The width of the top band is up to you, but what ever amount you cut off, be sure that you have a piece that is double plus 1" (which gets folded as a wide band and the 1" is for the 5/8" seam) to re-attach.
You can add piping or lace in between the case & the band or stitch a piece of wide ricrac to cover the seam.
Keep in mind, a standard pillow is about 24" long, a queen is 28" and a king is 32" so length is easy,,,, you can lay a store bought pillowcase next to the one you are making to get an idea of size.
Now have fun....
I made custom pillow case several years ago for my family, and I often make pillow cases for my newbie Sisters on the Fly gal pals,
I machine embroider their sister number on the band before I sew the band on.
>^..^<

This is the only photo I could find of one of the pillowcases i made for a "Sister"...it got my kitties approval !

Edited by - katmom on Sep 02 2011 7:34:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2011 :  07:02:02 AM  Show Profile
Thanks to Katmom for the very helpful tutorial, and the cute photo!
Thanks and salutaions to Treelady for contributing 5, yes FIVE completed pillowcases, on their way to me now! I can't wait to see 'em!!!!!!!
I have gotten a couple of emails for Farmgirls in support of the project, and for bringing awareness to the problems these girls' situations. Thank you for the support.
A couple of Farmgirls have responded but have not yet pledged the number of pillowcases they wish to contribute. Please let me know one way or the other if you can participate. No worries either way, just trying to plan!
Mary LD

Edited by - MaryLD on Sep 07 2011 07:04:24 AM
Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2011 :  07:05:38 AM  Show Profile
By the way, YES, we are in the wildfire area of Texas! We have not had to evacuate, though friends have.
Mary LD

Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2011 :  08:24:28 AM  Show Profile
I have just seen this thread. When do you need these pillowcases by? I would like to participate but fear I am too late. let me know. bev

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett
Beverley with an extra E...
https://sites.google.com/site/bevsdoggies/
http://bevsdoggies.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2011 :  09:06:02 AM  Show Profile
Hi Beverly,
You are by no means too late! The tentitive deadline is October 15th, and, even then, I will try to accomodate latecomers, esp if we are coming up short on the goal of 25 pillowcases.
Thanks so much for your interest! Hope you can join in!
Mary LD

Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2011 :  11:17:38 AM  Show Profile
yes I will join in and make a few. the cause is such a good one. Just send me your snail mail addy so I can mail them when I am done. If you come up short just let me know and I can always make a few more...

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett
Beverley with an extra E...
https://sites.google.com/site/bevsdoggies/
http://bevsdoggies.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2011 :  07:40:45 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Bev. I hope we can get at least 18 pillowcases ready for October 15th, and if needed, I can ask for more help from those who offered it, or extend the deadline for newcomers. I'll put you on my original list and back up list, thanks!
Mary LD

Edited by - MaryLD on Sep 08 2011 7:15:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2011 :  7:18:48 PM  Show Profile
Treelady's 5 pillowcases have arrived, and they are GORGEOUS! The fabrics are so upbeat and feminine and perfect!
They arrived quickly from North Dakota, and with a nice note attached to each. Even I got a little card , and not only that, $5 towards shipping the pillowcases!!
Thank you so much, and thanks to all with work in progress!

Mary LD

Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2011 :  12:05:40 AM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
I see that you have me down as this Acelady02- deciding one way or the other! I will make 2 for sure...thanks so much and again this is a great cause. Thank you for doing it.

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2011 :  06:51:00 AM  Show Profile
Their website is sobering. Of course it is blocked here at work. I guess the subject matter was a little too risque for them. I'm glad I looked it up at home though because I was wiping tears by the time I finished watching the video.

Just curious...how do you know to send pillowcases to them? Is it something you've learned through contacts with them? I think it is a wonderful idea and am looking forward to making mine for them.

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
A Beehive is the ultimate Home Sweet Home
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17025 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17025 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2011 :  11:57:00 PM  Show Profile
Hey Mary,
my 2 cases are finished so i will get over to the P.O. in the next day or two to get them into the mail...

just a lil sneak peek....

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Pillowcases for Rescued Girls Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page