tnolan
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Teri
Howell Mi
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2011 :  11:55:33 AM  Show Profile

Pesto is an old Italian favorite, still revered today as one of the finest of the sauces. It is easily made from the herbs in the countryside, or the local markets, and requires only a few simple ingredients.

There is nothing like a Fine Pesto however, to rouse the pallets of your family and friends, and get them singing your praises. Use it on pasta, gnocchi, fish, or mix with sour cream as a dip for fresh veggies.
Any way you desire it, it will be one of your favorites...As for Sophie and me, we like to dip our fingers in it and revel in the joy of our creation!
Sophie and I like to plop down on the border wall to our kitchen herb garden behind our house, and spend long, quiet moments listening to the birds and sounds of the outdoors, while gently plucking our Basil leaves from the plants. She loves to toss them high into the air, in hopes of hitting the big colander (most times not!) and carry them in to the kitchen for washing. Such a big girl! Then, into the spinner...she loves that even more!

I love watching her, and the joy of knowing that we are creating our food with our own hands, from what we planted ourselves, with the gift of seeds that God created :) It somehow makes me feel connected to God-the Source of all, the Earth, our Plants, our Food; it gives me a sense of contribution to the health of my children, and somehow the well-being of the world.

I don't know what Sophie is thinking during this time, but it must be something wonderful, as I catch her staring at me with a smile on her face, while I work; and she laughs for no apparent reason. It must be Love, I think to myself, and my heart fills with warmth.
This is La Dolce Vita...oxoxoxoxoxox
Easy Steps to Pesto and Recipe to Follow:

You will need:
4-6 cups of Fresh Basil
1 cup Shredded Parmesan
2 Tbsp Garlic Powder
1 cup Olive Oil
1/4 cup Filtered Water

Place the Basil, Olive Oil, and Water in your blender or food processor. Blend until almost liquefied.

Add Pinenuts, pulse and then blend 30 seconds.
Add Parmesan Cheese
And, Garlic Powder
Blend all ingredients again, adding additional water/oil combinations if sauce is too thick.

Transfer to a serving container. Add more oil if necessary to thin/smooth, as you serve. Sauce thickens as it gets cold.

Add Sea Salt to Taste.
Be sure to dip your fingers in the finished Pesto Sauce, lick, and dance around the kitchen with joy..as we do! (Otherwise, what's the point?)
Serve with Gnocchi! Or, pasta, fish, or on toast points or crackers. Mix with sour cream for a great vegetable dipping dish.
Can be frozen in ice cube trays or other container up to several months! Mangia Bene! oxoxoxo www.LaDolceVitaGirl.blogspot.com

Live the Good Life!! www.LaDolceVitaGirl.blogspot.com

vmfein
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Valerie
Dale City VA
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2011 :  3:44:13 PM  Show Profile
homemade pesto is the best! yum

Farmgirl Sister #2619

http://www.etsy.com/shop/vmfein
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2011 :  4:43:45 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Welcome Teri to MJF...love the sound of the pesto...but have one question, do you have to use pine nuts? The are so expensive here...thanks...I love the story...how old is Sophia, she sounds like a little doll baby.

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...
Go to Top of Page

tnolan
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Teri
Howell Mi
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2011 :  6:11:59 PM  Show Profile
Hi! In reply, I have never made the Pesto without the PineNuts! I know this is the classic recipe, but not sure why you couldn't give it a try?

Maybe you could try a different kind of nut, whatever you have on hand. Unless you are trying "nut-free"? If you do, please re-post after you try it; to let us know how it works out! :)

BTW, Sophia has just turned 3, and we spend every lovely day together...lucky Mommy, I am! God is good! :)
Thanks for your comments, please keep in touch! Be Blessed!
:) oxoxoxo

Go to Top of Page

KathyC
True Blue Farmgirl

583 Posts

Kathy
Gastonia NC
USA
583 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2011 :  10:22:22 AM  Show Profile
Teri
You are indeed blessed to be able to spend your days with Sophie enjoying her and teaching her the pleasures of gardening and cooking.

Question, how much pinenuts? I have lots of basil this year and was going to try pesto. I was going to try with different nuts too, maybe cashews or pecans. We have pecan trees if the squirrels leave any for us this year.

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

tnolan
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Teri
Howell Mi
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2011 :  10:52:31 AM  Show Profile
Dear Kathy,
Thank you! Now that you have asked this question, I see that I mistakenly have left that part of the recipe off of my blog!
I have added it now, so thanks!

I use 1 cup of Pinenuts for my recipe, and love the level of "nuttyness" it adds...let me know how well it works with the pecans! :)

If you follow my blog on email, would love to have some feedback on upcoming posts from you!
Thanks for your kind comments!
Be Blessed! :)

Go to Top of Page
  Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Me, My Girl, and Our Pesto Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page