Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Fabulous Farm Collectibles
 *Farmgirl Swap
 Members with outstanding swaps list
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author *Farmgirl Swap: Previous Topic Members with outstanding swaps list Next Topic
Page: of 5

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2011 :  6:10:51 PM  Show Profile
I'm hoping to keep this as light as possible. I know there have been a few swaps that have been left open on the board, so, after talking with Megan, I decided to start an open thread addressing people who have outstanding swaps.

This isn't to get anyone in "Trouble". This is, however, to prevent those people with outstanding swaps from signing up for more swaps. If your name is added, once you fulfill your end of the swap, your name is removed. Simple as that. Names can be added after emails have been sent to the swappee AND the hostess to make sure it's not due to personal reasons, and two weeks after the deadline for a swap to be sent have passed (To account for shipping). To add/delete a name, please message me. Thank you!

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com

Edited by - walkinwalkoutcattle on Oct 27 2011 10:02:48 AM

tammyc
True Blue Farmgirl

698 Posts

Tammy
Danville California
USA
698 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2011 :  6:35:28 PM  Show Profile
Does this apply to outstanding barters as well?
Go to Top of Page

debtea2
True Blue Farmgirl

1853 Posts

deborah
nutley nj
USA
1853 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2011 :  7:03:09 PM  Show Profile
this is a great idea
and hopefully will help the swap hostess.
blessings deborah

inch by inch we find our way
jersey farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2011 :  7:35:34 PM  Show Profile
I think this is a great idea! That way if someone hasn't "completed" their end of the bargain, numerous people are not being shortchanged by the same person. It will also prevent "those people" from receiving swaps yet never giving back.
Again, as you said its not to get anyone into "trouble", but sometimes a little "prompt" like putting their names in lights, may be just the kick start they need to do the right thing and fulfill their end of the agreement.
Thank you for starting this.
Fortunately I have done quite a few swaps and have only been "burned" once (coincidentally it happens to be by the very person who is on your list right now)
Smiles,

~Laurie
"Little Hen House on the Island"
Farmgirl Sister#1403

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..
Go to Top of Page

retasos2
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Pilar
Centereach NY
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2011 :  7:37:02 PM  Show Profile
Do the post the names here or e-mail them to you?

Pilar
Farmgirl Sister #2498
Little Hen House on the Island

" A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is, until she gets in hot water" Eleanore Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

TeresaJ25
True Blue Farmgirl

975 Posts

Teresa
Medford NY
USA
975 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2011 :  03:21:37 AM  Show Profile
I'm not sure how I feel about this idea.
I'm not an angry person, but it really is upsetting when someone whom you've put so much time, thought & money, totally bails out and doesn't follow through. Would I like this person to send me what she is supposed to? Of Course!! But do I want to humiliate her... not so sure.
I agree that something has to be done. But we don't always know the circumstances that have led the person not to follow through... for instance, look at Starletta's post.
I have to think about this one!

~Teresa
Farmgirl Sister #1348
Little Henhouse on the Island

*Anyone can criticize and complain and predict doom and gloom.
Be the person who fills the room with sunshine!
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2011 :  03:38:33 AM  Show Profile
Here is the way I see it. As Megan said, the list isn't to get anyone in trouble. It's so people who aren't following through on their end of things do NOT end up signing up for mores swaps. This has been discussed on the boards numerous times, and I think its been made clear that we all understand that life happens and things get in the way and sometimes (unfortunately) bad things come up that we have to deal with that take us away from our responsibilities swapping/bartering. We ALL get that. But if member XYZ is having financial issues or health issues or suddenly came upon one of the many unfortunate things that happens in life and isn't able to fulfill her end of the swap, member XYZ should not be signing up for MORE swaps until the first one is followed through upon. I think THAT is the purpose of this board.

Also, I don't think that if someone's name is on the board, it is listed WHO they didn't fulfill their swap/barter with. It's simply the "late" member's name. If their name is on the list and they don't recall what barter/swap they are late with, they can email Megan who will let them know?

If it were me and I was late for a swap/barter, even if it were through "no fault of my own" (unforeseen tragedy, family emergency, etc.) I would not be offended having my name on the list. It's simply a reminder and a note that hey, I should probably fulfill what I have outstanding before I go signing up for seven other swaps. :)

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

www.thehmmmschoolingmom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2011 :  04:19:52 AM  Show Profile
started the swap angels thread to try to avoid public humiliation.

Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2011 :  05:22:38 AM  Show Profile
I think it would be sad to scare someone with 61 posts off the forum.....I didn't buy budget mix until about post 300.

Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2011 :  05:28:15 AM  Show Profile
Many valid points are being brought up here. I'm not sure what the answer is. No one is "out to get" someone, nor do we want to publicly humiliate anyone, HOWEVER---I do feel that a person should be "banned" from joining any additional swaps until they have fulfilled their prior obligations. That is just the way it should be. Some type of moderation needs to be put in place if you want swaps to be a success. Yes there is a swap angel thread- but that does not prevent the "wrong do-er" from continuing to do wrong.
I absolutely 100% understand and agree that sometimes something happens where you can not fulfill your end of the bargain on time. I have seen quite a few posts from wonderful farmgirls who had an issue pop up in their lives, yet they have come forward and asked anyone whom they owe something to, to email them privately and they will take care of it. These are not the circumstances we are talking about. It is the few out there who just continuously burn others. Whats done is done, however preventing it from happening again is a good idea in my book.
Swap etiquette is another thread where we have voiced our opinions previously. I have personally said that I join swaps to try and make someone else happy- and whatever I get in return is a blessing. I truly believe that, but again, someone who is signing up for with the intent to "make out" on the deal, or simply to collect things never intending to give back, should not be allowed to do so over and over again.
what are MaryJanes thoughts on this?

~Laurie
"Little Hen House on the Island"
Farmgirl Sister#1403

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..
Go to Top of Page

pinokeeo
True Blue Farmgirl

559 Posts

Phyllis
Oregon
USA
559 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2011 :  05:35:47 AM  Show Profile
Since I am a relatively new person on this forum, I would like to comment on the swap process. I don't like being flaked on in swaps and neither does anyone else. I realize that things happen in a person's life that sometimes prevents them from fulfilling swap obligations. However, it should not give everybody free reign to sign up for swaps and not complete them.

It would be great if there was a system in place that allows a new person to do only one swap, and to complete that swap before moving on, Then set up a system to allow a person to sign up for only so many swaps, and complete those swaps before signing up for more. That way the swapper isn't overwhelmed by her own folly.

Of course, it would mean that each person's outstanding swaps would have to be listed somewhere.

This would be better than public humiliation, and decrease the need for swap angels.

Just my two cents worth.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I cannot master those things that I have not tried.

check out my artfire: http://www.artfire.com/users/PiNOKEEOs
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2011 :  06:00:44 AM  Show Profile
I would really like to know what CJ thinks.

I think Sissy knows about other swap sites that have swapper ratings, etc.

It's a way of life that's hard to keep, and it's an unbelievable amount of work. But, it's a promise absolutely anybody, anywhere can make and decide to keep, religious or not-a promise to be faithful in the good in each other. Page 19 of my favorite book.

Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

retasos2
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Pilar
Centereach NY
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2011 :  06:51:56 AM  Show Profile
I was burned by the same person that burned two of my other swap partners. I see a pattern and will not swap with that lady again (will ask hostess for a different partner). It was not so much not getting the item (because yes life happens) but not even answering e-mails regarding the swap. I like the idea of not being able to sign-up for more swaps until you have fulfill one or two as a way to keep accountable not as punishment.

Pilar
Farmgirl Sister #2498
Little Hen House on the Island

" A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is, until she gets in hot water" Eleanore Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2011 :  06:59:33 AM  Show Profile
I have been a moderator in the past for Lush cosmetics' forum. They had a large swap section which I helped moderate. The "List" is just so that everything is out in the open. When you sign up for a swap, you agree to send out your box on time. Now, life happens, but if you keep in contact with your swap partner, it should be no problem (ie: you send them an email saying "Hey-so sorry this is late. I'll be sending out tomorrow and I'll get a tracking number). But, if you don't correspond with the person, everything is kinda left in the dark. I think that that will scare more members away-a member with 60 posts who pours his/her heart into a box and gets NOTHING in return-and to have that person do the same thing to 3 other people in swaps. It's just NOT fair. This is simply accountability.

There are other swap boards like www.swappersonline.com and a few others that I'm a member of-ALL of those have ratings systems-some swaps you need to be invited into, have a certain number of successful swaps, etc. As the forum grows, I think that we need to at least address the problem. We can try this for a few months, and see what happens. If it doesn't work, we can discuss other options. Ignoring it doesn't help anyone. If you have a name, please email it to me. I think this list should apply to barters as well. Thank you!

Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2011 :  07:00:58 AM  Show Profile
And, let me reiterate, that your name doesn't stay on there forever-just until your swap is fufilled-then your name is taken off!

Go to Top of Page

LindaJo
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Linda
Fargo ND
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2011 :  07:05:15 AM  Show Profile
i'd like to know what the hostess responsibility is to the members who sign up for a swap. the first 6-12 months on MJF i was repeatedly given the same 3 swap partners over and over. Why? because i was new and the hostess knew these people would not do their part. i haven't seen them joining swaps for awhile. during that time i received very few items from any of the swaps except those where i didn't get one of the 3 people. there are also people who will not acknowledge they have received your sent items because they haven't sent theirs. i like to know the item arrived in case i need to replace it or it is lost in the mail.

as the hostess if you except sisters in the swap who live out of the country, you have an obligation to take them as your partner or ask someone if they are willing to have them as a partner before making the pairings. sending mail out of the country is 2-3x more expense than sending it in the US, on top of that are the customs forms. on other sites they have the swaps marked international or regional so you can choose. or the hostess will tell everyone they will be accepting international swappers, so you can make the choice to join or not.

i also believe some of the hostesses hand pick who their partners will be. if you take on the responsibility of hosting, you have an obligation to those signing up believing they will receive their swap items.

i belong to other swap sites and you are required to rate your partners, which means you received your item, to mark when you've sent your items and if you don't you are taken off the site. if you are slack in rating your partners or late sending your items, you are warned. i have received every one of my swap items. on other sites where i have participated the hostess takes responsibility for refusing people who do not follow thru.

another problem i've seen is people who don't let you know they received your items and if reminded by the hostess, will list family emergencies etc as the reason for not letting you know. it is understood that things happen. But when i see these people on other swaps signing up etc it's hard to believe the stories.

Art cleans the dust of everyday life from the soul. Picasso

Edited by - LindaJo on Oct 27 2011 07:07:37 AM
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2011 :  07:09:58 AM  Show Profile
Megan, are you a moderator for MJF? Who is? I thought farmmilkmama was. I don't see Alee on here very much anymore. I know I'm not the only one wondering who does what on the virtual farm.

Edited by - one_dog_per_acre on Oct 27 2011 07:14:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2011 :  07:19:05 AM  Show Profile
i was burned last Christmas by someone who i think truly does not realize she did not fulfill her obligation--i have never said anything- and just will not swap with her again.tho i want ppl to know she stiffed me--i just WILL NOT call her out.that's me....

i agree that we need accountability-however, i will not be swapping in the future if we do something like this.i'm with teresa and laura

there are a few swaps i am involved in right now and partners have been assigned- i will fulfill my obligation to them; however -i don't think we need police.

i have other things to say however -i won't --i'll just back away .......

and i , too, would love cj and maybe nini's take on this.....

and while i'm writing- i think that allowing farmgirls to post info about their wares for sale and their etsy shops etc is great-i do NOT like it when some gals never post anywhere else BUT on the sale pages.......

ok- i said more than i should have- i only deleted out three sentences and i am done with this topic......
just my opinion i guess.....

Farmgirl # 2139
proud member of the Farmgirls of the Southwest Henhouse
~*~ counting my pennies and biding my time; my dreams are adding up!~*~
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2011 :  07:26:49 AM  Show Profile
In my jar swap, I matched based on ladies interactions with eachother on the thread. One lady emailed me wishing for a specific partner, because they were forming a new friendship. I did hand pick my partner. She hosts swaps also, and I wanted to let her know that I am grateful. Nobody is making you join my swap, right?

I hosted the same swap in 2007, or 2008, and one person didn't follow through. I sent out an email to the ladies in the swap letting them know I needed help. In the end, the person that got left out got more than what you would normally get out of the swap, and the person that didn't send, emailed me a few weeks later to say she was dealing with her dad and Lou Gerigs, I think it was.

Recently I received a mail art, two weeks late. She couldn't get it together because her father nearly dies.

I guess my feeling is that one week seems a little soon, and shouldn't the person that didn't receive contact the swap hostess, instead of Megan?

Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2011 :  07:43:27 AM  Show Profile
Trish, I am NOT a moderator. I have no professional capacity on the forum. I think, however, that I personally feel the need for a list like this. If people don't want to participate with it, that's fine! This isn't a rule that you HAVE TO abide by at all. I also think that anyone thinking they are matched up with someone who isn't going to fufill their end should MOST DEFINITELY contact the swap hostess WAY before emailing me. They should also contact their swap partner. 90% of the time there is a perfectly good reason as to why someone is late-this IS NOT for those people. This is for people who are being left in the dark-swap partner isn't responding to anyone, not sending anything, etc. Should we say two weeks after the swap deadline, and after the swap partner AND the swap hostess have been contacted then?

Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2011 :  08:20:35 AM  Show Profile
It's your thread, do what you want, it's just my opinion, I'm not certain I would use this thread. I am able to start a post that says JANE DOE, YOU OWE ME, on my own.

Is the point repeat offenders, or to get your goods?
To me, it seems like each hostess could deal with the goods not arriving. Repeat offenders seems to be the only valid point of this thread, unless there are swap hostesses ignoring their own swap.

How are you going to deal with repeat offenders and keeping track of how many swaps that person messes up on due to illness, or laziness, based on your own judgement? Is that going to be public? Do you want hostesses to email you with info how their swap went?

Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

Sue Feely
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Sue
Buffalo New York
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2011 :  08:22:25 AM  Show Profile
I have been the swap hostess for the secret sisters for about 3 1/2 years now. Each time it gets worse and worse!! Please remember that all swap hostesses are volunteers, we do these to make things more fun and everybody likes to receive fun mail or little gifts.

I have had, especially this round, ladies drop out without letting anybody know, I have had many complaints about what people are receiving from their secret sisters, come on now, not everyone has the money or a chance to get out and search out items, a present is a present!

I can tell you this after this round ends in Mid November, I will not have sign ups for the secret sisters anymore, I thought by making a sign up only for ladies who have at least 75 posts, (ladies with a longer interest in MJF), that things would be better!

Life happens, if you run into a problem, contact the hostess and/or the partner! Dont just drop out!

Thank you!

Sue Feely
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2011 :  08:23:04 AM  Show Profile
Trish, my question is this: after the swapper has said they mailed their packages, but obviously hasn't, and the swap hostess has been emailed, what next? Does the person who hasn't fulfilled their end get to continue to get involved in swaps, potentially taking advantage of 3,4,5 people? I think swaps are a privilege, an with that comes responsibility and accountability. Swaps are fun, but when people are taken advantage of, thats not fun, nor is it fair.

When your swap partner was late, they communicated with you-and thats great! This list is NOT for that situation. This list is for the members who are NOT keeping in contact with the swap partner or the hostess, and are NOT sending out their half.

And Trish, I am in no way trying to detract from the swap angel thread. This could just simply be another "Resource" in the swap section.

Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2011 :  08:32:06 AM  Show Profile
I wasn't contacted by my partner, CJ contacted me, I just let her know it was late at the appropriate date set by her.

Obviously it's a problem. I strongly suggest delivery confirmation on my swaps, and contacting the other partner when you are ready to send. My last swaps have required a certain # of posts.
I guess your question is really for you, since you are posting names.
Sometimes if I am in a swap with someone with a small # of posts, I let them send first.

Are you not seeing the posts from ladies asking for forgiveness in there wayward swaps?

Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2011 :  08:38:01 AM  Show Profile
Sue,
Do you feel like there is a certain # of posts where ladies become more invested in this forum? I really am interested, since you are the reason I set a minimum #. I really value your opinion.
quote:
Originally posted by Sue Feely

I have been the swap hostess for the secret sisters for about 3 1/2 years now. Each time it gets worse and worse!! Please remember that all swap hostesses are volunteers, we do these to make things more fun and everybody likes to receive fun mail or little gifts.

I have had, especially this round, ladies drop out without letting anybody know, I have had many complaints about what people are receiving from their secret sisters, come on now, not everyone has the money or a chance to get out and search out items, a present is a present!

I can tell you this after this round ends in Mid November, I will not have sign ups for the secret sisters anymore, I thought by making a sign up only for ladies who have at least 75 posts, (ladies with a longer interest in MJF), that things would be better!

Life happens, if you run into a problem, contact the hostess and/or the partner! Dont just drop out!

Thank you!

Sue Feely

Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2011 :  08:50:53 AM  Show Profile
Normally Megan, I'd be on board, and my post would say: Let's Fry 'EM.
I am trying to be a more compassionate person.

Maybe you could email your repeat offenders list to any new swap hostesses or swaps you see come up.

Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 *Farmgirl Swap: Previous Topic Members with outstanding swaps list Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page