kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2011 :  08:31:22 AM  Show Profile
Ok, I butchered a bunch of chickens over the summer and saved the feet. I am now making broth with them. I added onions, carrots, celery and garlic, salt and pepper. I will let it simmer all day. It smells good. I washed the feet really good before I cooked them. Also they were put in really hot water for scalding to get the feathers off. SO I made sure they were really clean. Because I know where they have been and it ain't perty.

Has any one else done this with chicken feet?

Kris

Happiness is simple.

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2011 :  09:24:07 AM  Show Profile
No, but I wish I had. It bothers me that chicken feet, which have for centuries been used to make chicken stock, are now unavailable to the consumer.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2011 :  06:43:34 AM  Show Profile
yes kris i did do this one year. i also had a chinese gal who loved them. i too did a good scrubbing on them first. i was surprised at the strong good flavor from them. in the old days (LOL) mom used all she could of a bird for food. i am too lazy now to do it. i am butchering the rest of my rabbits today. they are weighing out at 2 1/2 pounds to 3. i fed some raw to the pigs they threw it around and tasted it. then down the hatch. we are setting a system up for them. we had fried chicken a few nights ago yum. kris you are so interesting. always trying new things. i love that. happy days to you my friend sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2011 :  08:31:36 AM  Show Profile
SHerrye, it was a bit strong but I think it was the onoin. Maybe next time I won't put so much. I used some in a chicken pot pie and it was good. So you gave your pigs rabbit?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2011 :  08:35:14 AM  Show Profile
almost all the stores in my area sell chicken feet. Perhaps try an ethnic grocery store? I just read that the feet are the best for making broth. I may have to try.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My new blog - http://citychickadventures.blogspot.com/ Come visit me!

Farm Girl #790

http://pinterest.com/debbie_s/

https://twitter.com/EllieFunt

Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2011 :  08:47:08 AM  Show Profile
I know you clean the feet well, but I just can't imagine eating something that's basically walked around in poop (when not foraging). But I guess I've got to remember how eggs are laid by chickens too. LOL!

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Emily Anna
True Blue Farmgirl

863 Posts

Emily
Fort Atkinson WI
USA
863 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2011 :  8:23:46 PM  Show Profile
I have never done this, but it gave me a good chuckle when I read it. My dad grew up on a farm and my Gram made use of everything she could. She would put the chicken feet into the soup. My dad said when they (my gram, gramps, and 7 kids) would sit down to eat, the kids would pull the tendons (I think it was) to make the feet open and close. That's probably where the saying "don't play with your food" came from. :)

Emily
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2011 :  9:14:00 PM  Show Profile
Emily, that's funny!

I had to chuckle when I saw the topic. My husband and I just finished watching an episode of Shaun the Sheep (from the makers of Wallace and Grommit). Shaun is helping cook a dinner and grabs a live chicken from outside and dips its feet a couple of times in a pot of water on the stove

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2011 :  12:05:52 PM  Show Profile
I remember my mother telling me that when she was a kid during the Great Depression, all the older women did this. They would tie the feet the way we do bunches of herbs, and pull them out after they'd released whatever nutrition was in them, before using the broth.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Chicken feet broth Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page