YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2018 :  06:09:58 AM  Show Profile
Hamburger soup is one of my favorite soups.

Have leftover roasted vegetables so it's a small pot of veg soup today.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

Daizy
True Blue Farmgirl

992 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
992 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2018 :  3:51:30 PM  Show Profile
Hay there.

I just got in from feeding cows and its a muddy mess out there. I think I will pop in some fish sticks and have a quick dinner tonight. Tomorrow morning I'm going to mix up a pot of Sante Fe soup and let the crock pot go all day while I'm working on fences. I have a pile of sewing to tackle this weekend after ranch chores so the soup will already be done when I get back home. I just love to come thru the door and smell that aroma!! I ran out of crackers awhile back and started using tortilla chips in my soups and chili.....try it. Its great.

Hugs,
Daizy

Hugs and prayers, Daizy #1093
Poor House Farmgirl Chapter {A virtual chapter open to everyone.}
A good day is when you find ALL your ear tags! I wonder how my cows would like my Farmgirl apron??
www.poorhouseparadise.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2018 :  2:30:37 PM  Show Profile
Daizy enjoy your hot soup.

I do like to putter around my kitchen but not so much when it comes to baking. I don't like all the measuring and flour all over the place. I said all that to say I made scones today from my new cookbook. Made with heavy cream and butter so what not to like. Supper tonight will be a scone or two with a glass of Merlot. I'll try to eat better tomorrow but tonight it's easy and oh so yummy.lol

Go to Top of Page

Daizy
True Blue Farmgirl

992 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
992 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2018 :  3:20:36 PM  Show Profile
Hay there.

My soup was fantastic......and there is more in the freezer for later this week. Mz Sara, I have never made scones. Are they sweet, pastries or breads? I have had Merlot tho and I think I will have a glass tonight. Its a sandwich night for me but who can pass up a glass of vino!.....even with a samitch on a paper plate!

A good day is when you find ALL your ear tags! I wonder how my cows would like my Farmgirl apron??
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2018 :  05:23:27 AM  Show Profile
Daizy, scones are English biscuits and are sweet - some sweeter than others. With or without nuts & fruit - even bacon & cheese. The ones I have eaten over the years in tea rooms or at home luncheons have been either on the biscuit side or shortbread side. The ones I made are on the biscuit side. I like a shortbread cookie but prefer a biscuit scone.

If you or anyone else are interested in the Rich Cream Scone recipe I'll post it on Nicole's Recipe thread.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2018 :  10:46:23 AM  Show Profile
I was mistaken about a recipe thread so here's the scone recipe.

Rich Cream Scones
From: Scone Recipes: Amazing Scone Baking Race by Jennifer C. Petersen and Friends

Ingredients:

1 cup cake flour – sifted
2 cups all-purposed flour
½ cup sugar – additional for sprinkling on top
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
¾ cup cold unsalted butter – cut into small cubes
1 ¼ cup cold heavy whipping cream – plus more for brushing
¼ tsp vanilla extract

Procedure:

Preheat oven to 375 F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper or Silpat.

In a large bowl, sift together flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Cut in butter to pea size. With your fingers flatten butter pieces into small discs. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for one hour to firm the butter bits.

In a small bowl, combine heavy cream and vanilla extract. Stir into flour mixture until almost absorbed and dough just comes together. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured work surface. Roll into an 8” by 10” rectangle. With the short side facing you, fold rectangle into thirds, folding like a letter. Rotate dough a quarter turn clockwise. Repeat rolling out, folding, and rotating 2 more times. With floured hands pat dough out to a 1 ¼” thickness. Using a 2 ½” cookie or biscuit cutter cut out rounds.

Gather scraps, reroll once and cut more rounds (about 12 total).

Place scones 2” apart on prepared baking pan. Brush tops with cream and sprinkle with sugar.

Bake at 375 F until golden brown, about 18-20 min. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Note: I followed recipe until cutting out. I cut the rectangle into 3 sections lengthwise – then 3 sections crosswise. Cut each piece in half on the diagonal. yield 18 Plus 4-5 odd pieces cut from the sides when I evened-up the sides. Used same baking time.

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2018 :  4:43:36 PM  Show Profile
Sara---must try these scones! I have made scones but these look much better. I am going to make them for breakfast tomorrow---it will be icy here and it's my husbands day off. Tonight he is working late and I am not cooking---his late night is my day off. I'm having a glass or two of Merlot like you and cooking pumpkin and making a pumpkin cake---plus replanting some houseplants and listening to a chick flick. Then at 9:30 I get to ride my four wheeler up the hill and get him as he will park at the top because of icy rain. And I thought I couldn't multi-task. LOL. Not to mention keeping wood in the furnace and doing laundry. Life is good in the holler.

Old Age Ain't No Place For Sissies!------Bette Davis
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2018 :  10:35:16 AM  Show Profile
Today is chilly and wet from a cool front passing by last night and dumping 1 1/2" rain in about 45 minutes! Tonight I am making a hamburger soup with black beans and barley. It is a thick soup and quite hearty. I have a package of MaryJane's Budget MIx cornbread that I am going to cook up in a cast iron skillet to go along with it.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2018 :  05:29:14 AM  Show Profile
I did make those scones Sara and they were delicious. The power went off while we were eating them and we had several days of ice storm hell. Winnie your soup sounds delicious.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2018 :  06:32:33 AM  Show Profile
Barbara happy you liked the scones. I like that you can taste the cream.

Go to Top of Page

Tumbleweed
True Blue Farmgirl

1016 Posts

Nancy
Texas
USA
1016 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2018 :  11:03:56 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone,
Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving day.

Usually Hubby does the cooking this day. He is a much better cook than me. We just bought an early Christmas gift. We bought a Crock Pot Express Cooker. I have been wanting one for a while. I found a simple recipe for a turkey roll on You Tube. For my first time cooking Thanksgiving dinner I have to admit it was excellent. I put two cups of water in the pot with a packet of onion soup mix. I rubbed, smoked paprika on the roll. I then sprinkled poultry seasoning on top with a little bit of red pepper flakes and pressure cooked for a little over an hour. It was delicious!!! I was surprised how easy it was. I am anxious to try more things soon.

TW

The fun begins where the sidewalk ends. Shel Silverstein
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2018 :  3:53:32 PM  Show Profile
Tonight is a 15 degree cold night and we are cooking steak and baked potatoes and broccoli with garlic bread. Also having a bit of wine to celebrate hubby just having a broken shoulder and it will heal naturally. Things are looking up. Later we are watching a movie with the house dogs. Life is good. Thanksgiving was good---all stuff we grew except for turkey and cranberries---and yes I have to have frozen limas from the store. What is a crock pot express cooker? Sounds like that dinner was wonderful.

Go to Top of Page

Tumbleweed
True Blue Farmgirl

1016 Posts

Nancy
Texas
USA
1016 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2018 :  7:25:37 PM  Show Profile
Hi Barbara
Glad your hubby is doing well.

An express cooker is Crock Pot inc, answer to the Instant Pot. It has pros and cons same as the IP but less expensive.

I have used it three times now and love it. Since I am close to retiring I need to learn how to cook. Funny in our family Daddy cooks and Mommie changes the oil in the cars.

TW

Go to Top of Page

Daizy
True Blue Farmgirl

992 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
992 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2018 :  4:31:20 PM  Show Profile
Hay there.

I want whatever ya'll are having. I'm not a picky eater but I'm too pooped to fix anything. This week has been a long one and its not even half over yet......not wishing it away by looking forward to the weekend......just saying its been long. If I lived in the city/town I would order a pizza or take out. Hmmmmm.....time to open a can of soup, I guess.

Hugs.....stay warm!

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2018 :  4:37:31 PM  Show Profile
Daizy I don't work hard anymore but on high fatigue days I may have a Campbell's micro-wave tomato soup or cheese and crackers. I do like to cook but somedays quick and easy will do.

Go to Top of Page

Daizy
True Blue Farmgirl

992 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
992 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2018 :  4:41:38 PM  Show Profile
Hay there, Mz Sara.

Tomato soup is whats for dinner! and crackers. Out of milk tho. bummer....

Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2018 :  08:02:02 AM  Show Profile
Hi girls,

Sorry to take so long to come back by. This has not been our year! I am glad to see movement on the thread though! Hope everyone is okay from the ice storms and all.

We had a good, cozy Thanksgiving. I made a turkey, my “North South Dressing”, cranberry sauce, carrot soufflé, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, rolls, and homemade pumpkin pie. It was just the three of us. We needed a relaxing day. Unfortunately, the next morning was stressful as we had to put a beloved elderly pet bunny down at the vet.

We ate leftovers forever it seemed. If I never see another turkey this year, it will be okay, ha ha.

Anyway, I made something new last night as a quick dinner. It was “Sweet Potato Bourbon’ ravioli with Pumpkin Chipotle sauce. Both from Aldi, but very, very good for a quick fix dinner.

I think I will make Farmer Bean Soup with chicken sausage tonight.

What’s on your table?

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155
Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
Chapter Leader, CT Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, Jan. 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blog
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2018 :  08:05:49 AM  Show Profile
I'm canning dried beans today - Marcella a cannellini bean. Had beans left over from canning so have them cooking on the stove with dried collard greens, organic EVOO, and green tops from garlic I planted in Oct. Should be ready by lunch.

Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2018 :  06:02:14 AM  Show Profile
I’m defrosting beef tonight as Hamburger soup has been requested. The recipe is on the Soup! Soup! Soup! Thread, and was posted by farmisister Barbara. So good and very easy.

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155

Suburban Farmgirl Blog

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2018 :  12:00:48 PM  Show Profile
Today I am out of the holler cleaning house for a friend and my husband is stuck in the holler making chili. I will get to taste it when I get home and I am thrilled not to have to cook. He was a cook in the army and makes huge pots of stuff---we will probably be eating chili for a week. He and our pug are having a daddy and dog bonding day. They will watch a man's movie together---war of course---then have a long nap. Wonder if he will find being alone in the holler fun or boring? I shall soon find out. Sometimes I feel bored there---but usually I have fun and enjoy the solitude.

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2018 :  2:53:42 PM  Show Profile
Just as I thought---we are still eating that chili. serving it on baked potatoes tonight with steamed broccoli and corn bread. He loved being alone in the holler and did not miss me at all. Just as I suspected.

Go to Top of Page

Tumbleweed
True Blue Farmgirl

1016 Posts

Nancy
Texas
USA
1016 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2018 :  3:51:16 PM  Show Profile
Oooh Barbara
I am getting on my broomstick and flying to your house, yum!

What color is your roof so I don't fly on pass ya?

TW

Edited by - Tumbleweed on Dec 05 2018 3:54:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2018 :  6:54:13 PM  Show Profile
Oh Chili sounds good. Need to put that on the list to make again soon.

I made a chicken pot pie to die for on Monday. I boiled chicken breast and used a crust I had made and frozen for later use, so it was easy to make. My secret is tarragon in the gravy.

Tonight I made a scrumptious herbed pork roast with garlic mash potatoes and a salad made from arugula, clementine slices, fried onions, tomato, and celery with a balsamic dressing.

Cold weather is here...what’s keeping your tums warm?

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155

Suburban Farmgirl Blog

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2018 :  09:17:22 AM  Show Profile
My biggest meal of the day is either breakfast or lunch. Today it was lunch. A kidney bean curry from India I got from Amazon Prime Panty layered in a baking dish with Uncle Ben's 90 min rice, and 1 cup of my home canned mushroom broth; topped with two thick butter-flied pork chops which my sister found in marked-down bin for $3. Must say I was real happy with the way it turned out. Had a serving for lunch; froze 2 servings; and have pork chops left for a couple more dishes. That's the way I like to cook. Throw together whatever I have on hand and let the oven do it's magic.

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2018 :  7:58:45 PM  Show Profile
Today is my birthday and my husband made the whole dinner while I wrapped gifts. He made steak, baked potatoes, a salad and rolls. Also mushrooms to go on the steak. So good and then he cleaned the kitchen better than I would have done while I took a hot bath. So great to not cook and do dishes. We went Christmas shopping over in Virginia to one of our favorite little towns and finished our Christmas shopping. He had built me a snowman in the middle of our road and it was so funny looking that I laughed and laughed. We drove around it and when we came back somebody had driven over it and cut it into---so funny looking. A great birthday for me.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 106 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What's for dinner tonight? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page