HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2019 :  02:44:07 AM  Show Profile
I'm proud of you Nancy---this sounds good and it is nice to have meals frozen and ready for sure. Looks like a really pretty kitchen to cook in---very pleasant. My husband made a huge batch of chili and we have eaten it for days until I can't bear to look at another bowl. He was a cook in the army and can't get over cooking big batches of stuff. I guess I should have frozen some of it---but it got me out of cooking and I was happy to have it.

Old Age Ain't No Place For Sissies!------Bette Davis
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2019 :  9:52:32 PM  Show Profile
Catching up with you girls and your entertaining talk about foods, customs and especially about wild hogs! Oh my! That’s one critter I don’t have to worry about in my corner of the states!
I’ve been building dinners lately around all the end-of-the-season produce sitting on my counters. Smothered Beef was a crockpot recipe using tomatoes, bell peppers, green beans and mushrooms. And I used up the last of the green beans in frozen crockpot dump dinners of beef vegetable soup. Tonight it was Zesty Pork And Winter Squash stew.
Any favorite recipes using bell peppers would be greatly appreciated. I still have a box of about 20, both green and red, to use up. I forget now why I planted so many!
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2019 :  05:39:51 AM  Show Profile
Sara one of my favorite recipes to use red or green bell peppers is in a southwest omelet or scrambled eggs.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015. & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2122 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2122 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2019 :  11:42:13 AM  Show Profile
Way back when I was in the country and had a huge garden we had a special end of harvest meal. Everything wold be dipped in beer batter and deep fried. The kids always looked forward to it. This was back in the 70s when fat wasn't bad for you :-)

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2019 :  6:50:06 PM  Show Profile
Ooooooo!!!! Judith, that’s an AWESOME tradition!!!

Tonight’s dinner is meatballs in red sauce. I set out to process around 40 pounds of tomatoes and after 20 pounds I was exhausted! So the last of the diced tomatoes went into a pot with onion, celery, bell and Anaheim peppers. The meatballs are simmering in the sauce now, and fettuccine noodles are ready and waiting. .

A glass of wine took care of the exhaustion, and I’ll think again about the other 20 pounds tomorrow!
Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2019 :  7:08:34 PM  Show Profile
Today for the first time I made homemade tamales and they really turned out great.

Hugs,
Laurie
Country girl at heart
"Smile and be yourself everyday."

Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2122 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2122 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2019 :  8:59:07 PM  Show Profile
Hooray Laurie! It gets easier after the first time. I always make tamales this time of year. I usually do it alone but it is a lot more fun with a couple of friends.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2019 :  08:20:33 AM  Show Profile
Judith, If we lived closer we could do it together. Hubby said they are really good.

Hugs,
Laurie
Country girl at heart
"Smile and be yourself everyday."

Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2019 :  3:36:54 PM  Show Profile
OHHHH Laurie, I miss homemade tamales from Texas!!! No one here knows what they are, lol! My sister in law makes tamales. She makes an El Salvadoran recipe and they are so good. She has overnighted me some before.

It took me a good three weeks to be on the mend! I have made some good winter stew, and used the air fryer a lot. Will make meat balls this week and report. I made a lasagna for my dh and me when dd went out with her boyfriend. She is having issues with dairy so I have had to adjust my cooking when she is home.

Bought my turkey for Thanksgiving. Can’t wait. Just the three of us but I will still cook a feast. Yesterday I made a meatloaf with creamed corn and boiled new potatoes. Needed comfort food as dd had had a hard school day.

Tonight we had pulled pork sandwiches with rosemary fries. They were frozen organic ones but in the air fryer they were perfect!!

Missed you all. Thanks for the recipe!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155
Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
Chapter Leader, CT Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, Jan. 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blog
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2019 :  06:24:19 AM  Show Profile
Makin’ Texas food tonight - “Texas Rice and Beans” with peppers, ground beef and tomatoes. YUM

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155

Suburban Farmgirl Blog

Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2019 :  07:52:53 AM  Show Profile
Nicole can you share that recipe? I have all those ingredients in my kitchen and I love to add new ground beef recipes to the repertoire.
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2019 :  09:37:26 AM  Show Profile
Sara,

Sure! Take a pound or so of ground beef. Brown in the skillet (I use a cast iron one). Add one chopped onion, one green or red sweet pepper, and brown together. Add one can of stewed diced tomatoes, one can of kidney beans (do not drain either). Add a couple of dashes of Tabasco sauce, salt and pepper and garlic powder to taste, and simmer about 1/2 hour. Serve over hot cooked rice. Enjoy! ;)

Tonight I am not sure yet what to whip up. Ideas for quick and easy tonight?

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155

Suburban Farmgirl Blog

Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2019 :  07:33:58 AM  Show Profile
Nicole! That sounds a lot like a recipe I make called Texas skillet melt, only you smother it with grated cheese and serve with tortilla chips. It’s a family favorite.

Quick and easy? How about grilled sandwiches with some unusual ingredient to elevate them. Like apple slices with cheddar cheese. Or something pickled in them. I guess it depends on what you have on hand.

I made a slaw the other night with a honey/ mustard dressing. I didn’t have many veggie choices to make it interesting beyond the cabbage and carrots, so I chopped up some peperoncinis and tossed them in and it was a big hit! It carried the meal alongside a simple cut of meat.
Go to Top of Page

Tumbleweed
True Blue Farmgirl

1016 Posts

Nancy
Texas
USA
1016 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2019 :  07:50:22 AM  Show Profile
Sara and Nicole,
That's sounds so easy and tasty. Have you ever made it with ground chicken or turkey? I know it may taste different.

Tonight we are having IP spaghetti and garlic bread. I am using ground chicken. Hubby says it isn't the same as ground beef spaghetti but it is still tasty and good.

TW

STAND FOR THE FLAG...KNEEL AT THE CROSS !
Grateful, Thankful and Blessed!

Edited by - Tumbleweed on Nov 22 2019 10:38:59 AM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2019 :  08:17:09 AM  Show Profile
Nancy to up the beef flavor you can add mushrooms and Worcestershire sauce. I'm cooking a chuck roast this morning and I used 1/2 pint of my home canned mushroom broth for the braising liquid.

Go to Top of Page

Tumbleweed
True Blue Farmgirl

1016 Posts

Nancy
Texas
USA
1016 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2019 :  09:00:29 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Sara for the cooking tip. I will try this.

TW

Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2019 :  11:46:41 AM  Show Profile
I have made it with both chicken and turkey. It is still good. I had beef on hand.

Quick and easy last night: Mashed boiled egg sandwiches on organic sour dough bread, made with mayo. SOOO simple and delish!

Trying anew recipe tonight; Hawaiian Pork Roast with Pineapple. On the side, I am making roasted sweet potatoes and Sunshine carrots, using mult-colored carrots

What is on your table?

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155

Suburban Farmgirl Blog

Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2019 :  5:36:07 PM  Show Profile
BLT’s with some of the last slicing tomatoes of the year. Then off to the local high school playoff football game.

I’m also fishing for recipes for turnips and their greens. Any tips from you southerners?
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2019 :  4:16:36 PM  Show Profile
Hi Sara, OOOO BLT. Haven’t done that in awhile. Sounds like I should add that to the menu next week/.

The last few days I have cooked so much! I made “fried” Chicken tenders in the air fryer the other day. I love that air fryer! They tasted like fried nuggets but they were not. Every time I make them, I get better at it. On the side, we had a big batch of broiled Brussels sprouts, seasoned with Cajun spice. SO good!

I also made little steaks with spicy pepper seasoning in the air fryer. They turned out perfectly. We had taboule on the side, with fresh tomatoes and the last bit of mint from the garden.

Last night, since I was running errands, cleaning house, and baking for today, I made curry chicken salad sandwiches with cranberries and celery on sourdough bread.

TODAY, three of us have been pigging out! For appetizers/lunch we had sausage coins with a Visalia onion sauce, pineapple and the curry chicken salad on crackers with egg nog. Tried the Coconut Egg nog. Sipped both - “real” and “coconut” nog. Hard to tell the difference. Both are good.

For the main meal,we had turkey with fresh sage, homemade cornbread dressing, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, gravy, rolls, carrot soufflé, green beans and green bean casserole, and pumpkin and apple pies.

Had round two already.

Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving! What was on your table?

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155

Suburban Farmgirl Blog

Go to Top of Page

Tumbleweed
True Blue Farmgirl

1016 Posts

Nancy
Texas
USA
1016 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2019 :  06:04:39 AM  Show Profile
Oh I love taboule. I will have to make some soon.

We kept it simple since it is just the two of us in a new place. I cooked a turkey roll in my IP. I followed a you tube video "Cooking with Doug". It turned out awesome. We also had mashed spuds with gravy, corn on the cob, stuffing and pecan pie for dessert.

TW

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2019 :  05:15:25 AM  Show Profile
Roasting veggies today - green beans, potatoes, turnips, carrots, and head of garlic with fresh rosemary on potatoes & turnips, & parsley on carrots. May or may not have a meat.

Go to Top of Page

Tumbleweed
True Blue Farmgirl

1016 Posts

Nancy
Texas
USA
1016 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2019 :  06:14:57 AM  Show Profile
Yum Sara,
I can already inhale the aroma way down here.

TW

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2019 :  06:20:04 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Nancy. Roasting veggies is my favorite way of cooking them. Tomorrow leftovers will go into a pot of soup.

Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2019 :  6:16:30 PM  Show Profile
Sara, I love a dinner of just roasted veggies, too. One of my favorites!

Light cooking here since Thanksgiving and had Chinese food one night. I love it, but it makes my fingers swell like nothing else!

Tonight we had homemade turkey burgers in the air fryer on fluffy buns with a side of baked maple beans. Nothing too special, but good, with fresh tomatoes, onions and lettuce.

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155

Suburban Farmgirl Blog

Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2019 :  11:29:58 AM  Show Profile
Made a bigol’ pot of curry chicken soup the other day. SO good for chilly weather. We got snow yesterday. I have been baking and baking and baking. Having our yearly CHristmas party this weekend.

Did I mention my daughter is now allergic to dairy? It makes it hard to cook many of the things I used to. She developed this problem last spring. I was allergic to milk as a young girl. I grew out of it after a few years. I hope she does too. I use a lot of almond milk and plant butter to replace, but there is no substitute for cheese.

Dinner will be light the next couple of days due to the marathon of cooking for the weekend. Any good suggestions?

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155

Suburban Farmgirl Blog

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 106 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What's for dinner tonight? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page