SpyChicken
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Christine
Fond du Lac WI
USA
436 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2012 :  6:10:38 PM  Show Profile
I'm not sure I'd call myself a prepper, but let's just say I like to have a plan or two in case of an emergency. I have been storing more canned goods and trying to reuse and repurpose things. My dh was a lifelong boy scout and I'm a former girl scout, so I guess preparedness runs in our family! My brother-in-law takes prepping way more seriously. He has kits for each of the cars, stuff buried in the yard, etc. I actually do admire his organization!
Go to Top of Page

marmieto12
True Blue Farmgirl

213 Posts

laura
utah
USA
213 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2012 :  04:38:52 AM  Show Profile
I believe it is very important to be prepared for possible disasters common to your area, sickness or event that causes one to be unable to purchase groceries. I love to can and "prepare" for winter from the bounty of my garden.
Reading the other posts, I don't have much more to add, except this isn't something to do out of fear. I try to be a good steward of my finances and resources.
I recently entered an essay contest on Preparedness Pro. Please take the time to read it and leave a comment, which equates as a vote. There are other essays that are very good too. Enjoy learning more on preparedess :) http://preparednesspro.com/from-single-mom-of-9-to-super-prepper

Laura~Dreaming of big girl farm...

Farmgirl # 148

Farm Girl Projects http://justsimplythegirls.blogspot.com

My Vinyl Decor Business
http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheGirlsCreate

The Girls Create on Facebook~ https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Girls-Create/152037319813
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2012 :  9:56:06 PM  Show Profile
I agree with what Laura said....my take on it exactly..and her essay is a great read!!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2012 :  09:42:03 AM  Show Profile
I would be considered a prepper. It's just a way of life for us and always has been. It's not to prepare for the end of the world as we know it or some cataclysmic event. I only get paid once a month, therefore, I can only go grocery shopping once a month. A lot of people can't even skip the store for a day or two.

We have storms and power outages a lot. We live at the foot of a volcano and on some testy earthquake faults. Plus, one never knows when an illness or job issue might happen.

So it's not about the end of the world for me, it's about being able to take care of my family. I know many people who have been out of work for months and month and having food storage has saved them. I also believe in developing skills and having ways to barter for things we might need.

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

marmieto12
True Blue Farmgirl

213 Posts

laura
utah
USA
213 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2012 :  4:16:47 PM  Show Profile
[quote]Originally posted by Aunt Jenny

I agree with what Laura said....my take on it exactly..and her essay is a great read!!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24

Thank you Jenny!

Laura~Dreaming of big girl farm...

Farmgirl # 148

Farm Girl Projects http://justsimplythegirls.blogspot.com

My Vinyl Decor Business
http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheGirlsCreate

The Girls Create on Facebook~ https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Girls-Create/152037319813
Go to Top of Page

charleen
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

phyllis
pampa texas
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2012 :  12:42:18 PM  Show Profile
I'm a recent prepper I am trying to get my act together but I feel even though I am better off than other people I feel like I am so far behind the curve I need a cattle prod to get me going.help, help, help!!
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2012 :  2:54:44 PM  Show Profile
I just ordered the book, "Just In Case," by Kathy Harrison. What books have you been reading on this subject? The more I've been thinking about it, I think it couldn't hurt to be a bit more prepared for an emergency or in case prices really do skyrocket like some are saying. I'm still no "Doomsday Prepper" by any stretch, but the other night my foster daughter and I did our big monthly shopping trip and were floored to see a lot of the items we purchased last month had gone up a dollar or two, if not more. None of it had been on sale last month, either. I pray it doesn't get much worse, but I do see the sense in trying to be a little more diligent about getting ahead of the game, you know? The other day I was searching Costco online for something unrelated and found out that not only they, but also Sam's Club, sell the prepper foods and other emergency preparedness items like you see in the program we've been discussing. I was so surprised! Did you all know that?

Our shopping experience brought about an entire discussion about emergency preparedness, what our comfort levels are in preparing, our personal philosophies, and mostly we tried to pinpoint what we would really need to have on hand in a true emergency. My foster daughter is a nursing student and all she could talk about was that from what she has learned in school, she prays that we never have a wide scale emergency, such as the one for which most preppers are planning. She went on to explain what she has learned, the challenges the hospitals will face, etc., and it gave me the heebie jeebies. It reminded me back to a time shortly after 9/11 when we were at the ER and the hospital was having an entire day of mock wide scale emergencies. It was pretty powerful stuff to watch, and you could see the tensions were high. They took it very seriously, and some of what we heard and saw was quite disconcerting. I pray that day never comes, either. I just can't imagine it. But hearing my foster daughter talk about it really make me rethink this a little. She's a very calm, even-keeled, well-grounded, no-panic kind of person, but when she started talking about the needs, and the decisions and choices that medical professionals would face in such a situation, I could see she was a little freaked out, so, of course, that heightened my concern. I still stand firm in my faith that God will take care of us, but I also well remember my Grandma's warning to "use your bean." In the even of such an emergency, though, we really just don't have the options that seem to be available to a lot of preppers. Guess we'll do what we can do and that's all we can do, then, right? :)

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Edited by - Ninibini on Apr 27 2012 2:57:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - May 21 2012 :  06:04:41 AM  Show Profile
Hi Girls -

My son did a research paper this past spring and was presented with this article by my foster daughter. It concerns hospital medical procedures in the event of a pandemic:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2008-05-05-3774617717_x.htm

This article is cited in one of her training manuals and discussed in detail as part of her course. 'Just thought you'd find it interesting. :)

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Edited by - Ninibini on May 21 2012 06:33:02 AM
Go to Top of Page

Crickethollow
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Autumn
Beverly MA
USA
3 Posts

Posted - May 21 2012 :  12:39:51 PM  Show Profile

quote:
Originally posted by charleen

I'm a recent prepper I am trying to get my act together but I feel even though I am better off than other people I feel like I am so far behind the curve I need a cattle prod to get me going.help, help, help!!

I have thought about this and myself and my husband arent on the same page about this whole prepping issue... But I think Im gonna start prepping anyway.. better to be safe than sorry I think

"Nobody home but us chickens "
Go to Top of Page

annie314
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Ann
Topeka Kansas
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2012 :  07:37:18 AM  Show Profile
I think the FarmGirl attitude makes us all at least a little bit of a prepper. Learning self sufficiency and how to take care of ourselves and our families are just basic skills that I think everyone should have. (Too sad there are many who don't see this way.)

It is also sad that there are people that are thinking about locking themselves away and shooting anyone that comes close. I wonder if there is a difference between rural and city attitudes. When I think of New Orleans during Hurricane Katrina I see how nasty people can be and I think maybe someone would need an attitude like that to survive there. But then I look at the disasters in the MidWest- tornadoes, blizzards, and flooding- and it seems like the communities came together and helped out. I think a strong community is key and it seems that many people don't have that.

Meandering to the beat of a different drummer

Annie S
Topeka KS
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Are you a prepper? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page