Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Abattoir? Next Topic  

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2012 :  7:18:09 PM  Show Profile
Our Board of Supervisors is about to okay an abattoir on land zoned for agricultural/industrial use, but rather near residences. Anybody have any experience living near such a facility (for slaughtering animals bred for their meat)? How concerned should we be about noise, smells, traffic, etc.? How far away from "civilization" are these things, usually? Would love to hear from y'all on this.

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2012 :  1:18:05 PM  Show Profile
Well,there is a meat packing company right in the midst of my Mom's neighborhood in the middle of the city and so far as I know there is very little noise or smell that I have ever heard complaints about,they tend to haul off thier offal right away and the only issues that have been had through the years is a couple buffalo escapes where the police have had to shoot them and in the process have nicked houses and such,not so good!
I'm not kidding about that,online they have some news articles about it,the place is called G&C packing company and is located on the Westside of Colorado Springs.
Other than buffalo escapes and showdowns with the police they seem to get along pretty well but there might be other abbatoirs who are not so good,it's hard to tell what the one near you might be like.

"Today's Mighty Oak is just Yesterday's Nut"
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2012 :  7:37:13 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Katherine. I'm glad to have your perspective. Sounds like that was quite a stirring episode!
Go to Top of Page

Simply Satisfied
True Blue Farmgirl

427 Posts

Emily
Montana
USA
427 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2012 :  07:14:09 AM  Show Profile
We have a few small ones in our town and I have never had any problems. I did almost hit a bear that had gone to check it out in the middle of the night but I only had that happen once. it didn't really smell that night to me but I am sure bears are better sniffing things out. Ours are really good at keeping things clean outside so I have never heard complaints.

Emily
Farmgirl # 3591
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Abattoir? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page