Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Magazine: Call for Entries
 HomeSafeHome
 Coconut Oil - Universal Skin Conditioner
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author HomeSafeHome: Previous Topic Coconut Oil - Universal Skin Conditioner Next Topic
Page: of 2

stourles
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Stephanie
Orland ME
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2012 :  10:39:19 AM  Show Profile
Exotically fragrant, organic, unrefined, extra-virgin coconut oil is used by women the world over as an inexpensive and highly effective moisturizer; nail and cuticle treatment; and lip balm. It safely soothes, softens, and lubricates even the most delicate of tissues such as the labia, vagina, and nipples. Coconut oil is safe to apply to ever-expanding pregnant bellies and blossoming breasts to help prevent stretch marks. It only takes a small amount to moisturize, so use it judiciously - and remember that it is NOT latex friendly. (Adapted from "Organic Body Care Recipes" by Stephanie Tourles, Storey Publishing, 2007)

Lic. Holistic Esthetician, Herbalist, Author. www.stephanietourles.com

mtngirljon
True Blue Farmgirl

539 Posts

Jonnie
Webster Texas
USA
539 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2012 :  12:13:06 PM  Show Profile
Can I use this as a general facial moisturizer? Where can I buy it? I've been looking for somethong non toxic for my skin...

Jonnie
Farmgirl #648

"Turn your face to the sun, and the shadows will fall behind you" - Maori Proverb

Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2012 :  12:16:36 PM  Show Profile
i've seen a small tub-like container in the organic section of my grocery store

edit to add: it [b]is[/b] in the organic section -it is 10.49 for a nice sized tub-i forgot to check ounces!--this was at a Giant Eagle.

Farmgirl # 2139
proud member of the Farmgirls of the Southwest Henhouse
~*~ counting my pennies and biding my time; my dreams are adding up!~*~

Edited by - Penny Wise on Mar 26 2012 2:48:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

garyw965
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

Gary
Hemet CA
USA
51 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2012 :  12:59:16 PM  Show Profile
Most grocery stores are now carry the coconut oil. But if you want organic then you would need to go to a health food store.
Go to Top of Page

pennyhenny
True Blue Farmgirl

304 Posts

Missy
Dayton OH
USA
304 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2012 :  4:59:58 PM  Show Profile
I know Walgreen's and Rite-Aid carry Natures Way Organic Coconut Oil.

hugs,
-missy-

Sisterhood Member#4003

Happiness held is the seed; Happiness shared is the flower.
John Harrigan
Go to Top of Page

mtngirljon
True Blue Farmgirl

539 Posts

Jonnie
Webster Texas
USA
539 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2012 :  6:26:34 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, ya'll.

Jonnie
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2012 :  05:10:37 AM  Show Profile
I just bought a jar and made homemade deoderant from it. I was so skeptical, but we all love it! I also rubbed coconut oil into my rough, cracked heels and my feet look and feel so soft now! It's amazing stuff! I got a mayonaise-size jar from Trader Joe's for under $5.00. It's also organic.

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

dreamingofmygardens
Farmgirl in Training

48 Posts

mn
48 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2012 :  12:04:07 PM  Show Profile
i can't find it either.. i will check out wall greens next time i am in the city.
Go to Top of Page

Pamela Joy
True Blue Farmgirl

89 Posts

Pamela
Hesperus CO
USA
89 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2012 :  4:06:25 PM  Show Profile
I use Spectrum expeller pressed organic virgin coconut oil (unrefined). Amazing and smells delicious.

Peace, Love, and Joy
Go to Top of Page

maryk
Farmgirl in Training

30 Posts

Mary
Barrington RI
USA
30 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2012 :  2:05:45 PM  Show Profile
texdane would you mind sharing your recipe for deodorant with us???
Go to Top of Page

stourles
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Stephanie
Orland ME
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2012 :  12:33:13 PM  Show Profile
Hi Jonnie: You can use coconut oil as a facial moisturizer for normal to dry skin, but apply very, very lightly as you don't want to leave an oily sheen on your face. It does penetrate in quite nicely, though. Prior to application, I like to spray my clean face with a hydrating rose water spray or rose hydrosol (available from Simplers Botanicals www.simplers.com or Mountain Rose Herbs www.mountainroseherbs.com), then massage in a large pea-size amount of the coconut oil into my face, throat, and decollete. Wait 5 minutes before applying any makeup. The brand of coconut oil I like best is Nutiva - available in better health food stores or food co-ops. It smella divine! This brand is so good that I often eat a fat tablespoon right out of the jar!
quote:
Originally posted by mtngirljon

Can I use this as a general facial moisturizer? Where can I buy it? I've been looking for somethong non toxic for my skin...

Jonnie
Farmgirl #648

"Turn your face to the sun, and the shadows will fall behind you" - Maori Proverb

Lic. Holistic Esthetician, Herbalist, Author. www.stephanietourles.com
Go to Top of Page

mtngirljon
True Blue Farmgirl

539 Posts

Jonnie
Webster Texas
USA
539 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2012 :  2:38:26 PM  Show Profile
Thanks so much, Stephanie. I haven't found it yet, but still looking.

Jonnie
Go to Top of Page

shabbyms
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Cheryle
Naperville IL
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2012 :  7:18:23 PM  Show Profile
I have been using this for years and really do credit it for looking so young including my hands! i now purchase the large jar at Trader Joes. I love that I can also add my own scents to it. During the summer when exiting the shower I make and use mostly small batches with essential peppermint oil which is not only refreshing but also keeps many bugs away naturally - but use this very lightly and in small batches. I also like to mix orange/or lemon essential oil. Another favorite is pine essential oil in small batches. Orange/lemon wakes me up and the pine- well, that to me is the outdoors. Some times you can't get out there but you can feel like you've just come in! I mix small batches in recycled pill bottles with a tooth pick or small candy tins (the kind they have at Trader Joes). They are very portable this way.
I take a small amount on date night and add a few drops of almond oil and mix. It will warm and liquidfy slightly as you mix it with the almond oil...you want it to look like a slushy. I do this because it lasts just a bit longer but with great results. A 7 or 10 minute shoulder or foot rub and I could ask for the moon plus it takes away his dry feet! It sets the mood for a relaxed stress free night!! When you are done doing his feet or shoulders ask him to rub yours! Please do be careful and wear sox when completing this foot rub and before walking anywhere!

Love will make a way out of no way. -Lynda Barry

Cheryle is Farmgirl #604
Go to Top of Page

ModernishHomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

58 Posts

Amy
Colorado
USA
58 Posts

Posted - May 23 2012 :  5:04:23 PM  Show Profile
I've been using it for a few days now. I also learned that it has some anti-bacterial, anti-fungal properties, so it is great to use for us busty girls, since it not only keeps our breast skin supple but can prevent an overgrowth of yeast in the creases around the girls. (I get this sometimes from sweating in the summer time).

There are lots of organic options at my two favorite local grocers. I bought one for cooking and another just for beauty purposes. :)

***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***
I'm just a 20-something girl making a home for me (and my dog) and waiting for the family to fill it!

---

modernishhomemaker.blogspot.com
---
outdooramy.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MiaBella
True Blue Farmgirl

100 Posts

Michelle
New Caney TX
USA
100 Posts

Posted - May 23 2012 :  7:09:16 PM  Show Profile
I use Coconut Oil in most of my Goat Milk Soaps. I have a customer who cannot use soap from the store as it irritates her genital region. Since she has discovered my Pink Grapefruit Passion, her issues have disappeared and now that is all she uses! It makes the soap nice and bubbly as well.

Michelle
Farmgirl Sister #4097

MiaBella Farm
New Caney, TX
www.miabellafarm.com
Go to Top of Page

pennyhenny
True Blue Farmgirl

304 Posts

Missy
Dayton OH
USA
304 Posts

Posted - May 24 2012 :  06:18:28 AM  Show Profile
Funny that it's sold in the Organic foods section at Kroger's but at Walgreen's it's sold with the vitamins and at Rite-Aid I found it with the mineral oils.

hugs,
-missy-

http://citychickblogging.blogspot.com/

Sisterhood Member#4003

Happiness held is the seed; Happiness shared is the flower.
John Harrigan
Go to Top of Page

ModernishHomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

58 Posts

Amy
Colorado
USA
58 Posts

Posted - May 24 2012 :  11:34:21 AM  Show Profile
It's in the baking/cooking isle along with olive oil and various flours and sugars at Sunflower Market . . . but with the salad dressings at Natural Grocers . . . I couldn't even find it at my King Soopers (a subsidiary of Kroger).

***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***
I'm just a 20-something girl making a home for me (and my dog) and waiting for the family to fill it!

---

modernishhomemaker.blogspot.com
---
outdooramy.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - May 24 2012 :  12:15:50 PM  Show Profile
Here ya go girls: http://www.vitacost.com/garden-of-life-extra-virgin-organic-coconut-oil You'll find other sizes on their website, too. :) I buy mine at the grocery store, it's a different brand, but I absolutely LOVE it! :) - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

jeanb
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

Jean
Tollhouse CA
USA
20 Posts

Posted - May 25 2012 :  12:34:26 PM  Show Profile
This is awesome! Thanks for sharing all the wonderful ideas for making homemade deodorants. I can't wait to try them.
Go to Top of Page

Clee
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Cindy
Hampton VA
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2012 :  3:29:29 PM  Show Profile
Wilderness Family Naturals and Tropical Traditions are two brands that may be bought in large quantity. I am in a buying club w/other like-minded ladies. One of us buys a 'batch' at a discount and we all pay her for the oil. Because it melts at just over room temp, I set my gallon tub in a large pot of water on the lowest setting on the stove top. When it melts, I pour it into smaller, quart-sized Mason jars. For my skin, I pour a tad into the container of skin cream I USED to use. It hardens when cooled, but not so much I can't get a little (goes a long way) on my fingers. After washing my face and rinsing w/warm water, it glides on deliciously. As a note of caution: Remember it is an oil, so wearing in the sun is probably not a very good idea. :) It is unrefined and therefore, retains both coconut aroma and taste. It absorbs quickly into the skin...Such a great product. No wonder the Polynesian ladies have such gorgeous skin!
By the way, coconut oil is so good for us, (contrary to popular belief) and is a real bonus to thyroid function...I know...It has helped me (along w/some other life & diet changes), and now, at my doctor's orders, I've had to DEcrease my synthetic thyroid hormone by HALF. Go figure. They tell me the older you get, the more of the hormone you will have to take. Haha!...NOT so! So glad I found out about coconut oil!

You can take the girl from the farm, but never the farm from the girl.
http://www.thenourishednana.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

AnnieinIdaho
True Blue Farmgirl

437 Posts

Annie
ID
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2012 :  03:12:37 AM  Show Profile
Yes, it is amazing and has helped with a small patch of eczema I have on my arm. Trader Joe's does have an organic jar as mentioned above. Also, Costco has a huge jar that is organic. Jonni---Whole Foods markets also carry it if there is one in your area. I keep my jar in the refrigerator because I live in the hot desert. So it is solid, but I just take a fork and spoon and shred off a chip or so and put it in a small bowl, then use. It melts immediately. I am allergic to latex and latex food items such as bananas, but the topical application has not bothered me so far.
Annie

"The turnings of life seldom show a sign-post; or rather, though the sign is always there, it is usually placed some distance back, like the notices that give warning of a bad hill or a level railway-crossing." Edith Wharton, 1913 from 'The Custom of the Country'.
Go to Top of Page

showthemlove
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Vanessa
Vermillion SD
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2012 :  08:30:59 AM  Show Profile
I really love coconut oil. I like to eat it, too! Use it instead of oleo on my 3 minute eggs. It is shown to reduce Alzheimer's symptoms! I use it to season all of my cast iron. It is great on the lips.

Dr. Bronner's makes a "whole nut" version that I buy from Frontier co-op.

I love the upper Midwest!
Go to Top of Page

showthemlove
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Vanessa
Vermillion SD
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2012 :  10:06:15 AM  Show Profile
Even Wal-mart carries "Lou Ann's" coconut oil. Very cheap. Not organic as far as I know. I don't know how coconut is grown or harvested or what pests are avoided. Could be that Fair trade is more important here. I order items regularly from Frontier Co-op. It is out of Norway, IA and is online, too. I started a buyers' group and we buy all of our things wholesale with free shipping (with a $250 order) and no tax (IA is a no tax on food state) Frontier carries both Dr. Bronner's coconut oil and Nutiva. My favorite is Nutiva and I can buy it by the half gallon for about $25 through Frontier. Amazon also can connect you with a local distributor of Nutiva. I like Amazon, because they help me find things as locally as possible. Saves me gas money and the environment.

It is easy to start your own buying group with Frontier. You just need 5 in your group and

I love the upper Midwest!
Go to Top of Page

wandaj
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

Wanda
Buffalo NY
USA
38 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2012 :  11:42:14 AM  Show Profile
I never thought of using it for my iron skillets, I use grape seed oil. Guess I'll try it thanks.
Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2012 :  06:37:11 AM  Show Profile
You can buy big tubs of it through Amazon. I got it for therapeutic purposes for my geriatric dog that I learned about in Bark magazine and The Whole Dog Journal.

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, and Today is a Gift.

"Look deep into Nature, and then you will understand everything better."--Albert Einstein
"A meal of bread, cheese and beer constitutes the perfect food." --Queen Elizabeth I
http://www.etsy.com/shop/StrawHouseDesigns
Go to Top of Page

Kendra Homestead-Girl
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

Kendra

USA
22 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2012 :  3:27:10 PM  Show Profile
I've been wanting to get my hands on coconut oil to make goat's milk soap with. It's nice to know it works well. Have any of you tried cooking with it? I've heard that it's much healthier for you than vegetable oil, but I've yet to try it. I wonder if it might have a noticeably different taste.

~~Visit me at newlifeonahomestead.com!~~
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 HomeSafeHome: Previous Topic Coconut Oil - Universal Skin Conditioner Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page