Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 do raccoons/opposums eat chickens...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic do raccoons/opposums eat chickens... Next Topic  

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2012 :  7:29:23 PM  Show Profile
...or just their eggs? Bit of a friendly disagreement going on at the farm here. Since we moved here and are learning we've got totally different predators at this place than the last, we've got some changes to make...like with our chicken tractor and other things. I know we have a nest of baby coons up in one of our barns we haven't even started to repair yet...and the coons need to be taken care of. But it got me thinking...coons...opossums...skunks...and other stuff...what all will eat the actual chicken, and what just goes after their eggs?

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

www.thehmmmschoolingmom.blogspot.com

YakLady
True Blue Farmgirl

652 Posts

Natalie
Montana
USA
652 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2012 :  8:00:08 PM  Show Profile
I have had a coon steal chicks and eggs before it was taken care of. I free-range my grown birds, so when one disappears or returns to roost injured, I can't be sure what got it.

I've had eggs disappear with the tell-tale yolk mess on the eggs left in the box. Never caught anything in to coop other than that long-gone coon, though.

I know coons will reach into a chicken tractor and pull legs off chickens- I've seen that done. It's terrible :(

~Natalie~ Just a farmgirl in Western Montana. http://mtnme.blogspot.com
Starting a family and raising Tibetan Yaks, Highland cattle, Laying hens, Muscovy ducks, Silver Fox rabbits, and a few dogs.
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4129 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4129 Posts

Posted - May 01 2012 :  04:51:32 AM  Show Profile
Coons, skunks,mink, coyotes, will kill chickens too, not just chicks. I keep my locked up at night. closing windows of the coop too. though I have lost some in the day time as well.
Good luck
Michele
Go to Top of Page

homsteddinmom
True Blue Farmgirl

441 Posts

Brandee
bullard tx
USA
441 Posts

Posted - May 01 2012 :  05:47:57 AM  Show Profile  Send homsteddinmom a Yahoo! Message
dogs, cats, hawks, owls, crows, possums, and all the ones the pp listed above will kill chickens.

Homesteading Mom in East Texas. Raising chickens, Rabbits and goats here on my farm!

http://homesteddinmomsworld.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - May 01 2012 :  06:10:12 AM  Show Profile
I have never had a domestic cat kill chickens, although I have heard of it. I think most dogs can be raised not to. It depends on the breed a lot of times. Chows and German Shepherds are more tempted to do it. We have ravens here, not too many crows, but the ravens will sometimes steal eggs if they are out in the open and I have heard that they might get a young chick but I've never seen it. Ravens mostly eat stuff that is dead already not really killers. I think crows are more into eating corn and stuff. Maybe the chicken feed. Red tail hawks don't normally bother chickens, but coopers hawks and blue darters will. Owls will get your chickens if they are roosting outside the henhouse and they will eat your cats too. Our biggest predator problem here in northern NM is coyotes, bobcat, fox and the occasional bear or cougar.
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.

www.nmbarrelhorses.com
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - May 01 2012 :  06:38:45 AM  Show Profile
yes a raccoon will eat a chicken especially if they can't get enough food out where they are...usually you ill find only a pile of feathers after one has gotten a chicken...any animal out there that eats meat will go after a chicken if it wants to or needs to cause of hunger.....other birds if big enough will carry off the chicken or you will find some of the body of the chicken...minks, fishercats, badgers eat the heads & vent areas.....dogs tend to go after the softer meaty parts like the breast, necks so you may find the head & feet if its a non-wild dog...but all that said its not easy to always figure out what got your chicken/s but sometimes they leave these clues for you.....Michele'

Chickens RULE!
hen #2622
theoldbatzfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Megan
True Blue Farmgirl

155 Posts

Megan
Hudson South Dakota
USA
155 Posts

Posted - May 02 2012 :  08:46:08 AM  Show Profile
I have had a coon pick a duck clean down to the bones.... set a trap or 2 we use live traps and kill traps. using bait from eggs to dead birds, table scraps what ever... try to find were they are coming from and set the traps so they get caught before they get to the hen house

www.rockriverexoticsandkennel.net
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - May 02 2012 :  10:15:23 AM  Show Profile
We had a problem with opossums. They don't ususally eat the chickens or ducks, but kill them to get to the feed and the eggs. They are a major problem. They will eat your garden produce too, just before it turns ripe. I hate them giant rats with attitudes!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - May 02 2012 :  8:16:33 PM  Show Profile
I feel for you girls with coons and opossums. We don't have them here. Sounds like they can be very clever and invasive. I don't think I've ever seen an opossum.
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.

www.nmbarrelhorses.com
Go to Top of Page

mydakota
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

kristi
redmond oregon
USA
152 Posts

Posted - May 03 2012 :  9:53:00 PM  Show Profile
We lost several chickens to skunks one year.

HearthCricket Farm. Where the door is always open, and the coffee is always on.
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic do raccoons/opposums eat chickens... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page