Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 I've asked before, but I really need some help.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic I've asked before, but I really need some help. Next Topic  

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - May 01 2012 :  10:10:11 AM  Show Profile
Okay - the cutest little wiener dog in the world is going to have to find a new home if we can't fix this. He PEES on EVERYTHING! We thought maybe it was because he wasn't neutered - so we neutered him. We tried crating him (mostly definitely when we leave the house) - but I have truly had it! He peed on my broom, the kitchen table, leg - heck somehow he even got on the table and peed on the contractor's drawing of our house!!!!!!! I talked to a dog trainer - who was only interested in signing me up for dog training class at $109. I even tried a belly band. The store-bought type are not designed for long dogs. I designed my own with a maxipad and an ace bandage. He chewed it off. I give up!
We take him out about every hour or so when we are home, but somehow he still manages to dribble on dang near everything. At least he quit peeing on my bed.

To top it off - he thinks the basement is his "litter box" If the rental company comes in and sees this - we are OUT! HELP!!!!

Lora

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway" -John Wayne
www.CountryFriedAcres.etsy.com
www.farmallchick.blogspot.com
www.farmallchickphotos.blogspot.com

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - May 01 2012 :  10:17:29 AM  Show Profile
He is probably still smelling his urine or another dogs urine. I had a male cat, neutered- that did that. Until I scrubbed everything, he continued. Good luck. I know how upsetting that can be.
Keep us posted.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - May 01 2012 :  12:35:36 PM  Show Profile
Has he been to the vet to rule out any physical ailment? We had a cat who had kidney stones and that was the reason she wouldn't stop peeing.

If its not a physical thing and more "mental" (believe me, I've got one of the most mental dogs in the world)..How often is the dog unsupervised? Way back, we had our dogs at a trainer who believed that until a dog behaves, they should be tethered to you on a 6 ft leash. That way they are never out of your sight and can't misbehave. And when you've reached a point in the day that you don't want to do that anymore (or you have to be gone) then they are in a crate. Out of the crate = tethered to you. Then after they are ok with that (and can behave, aren't peeing or chewing or wrecking stuff or whatever their particular problem happens to be), they can maybe be in the same room with you...but not unsupervised. And I know that's a TON of work and sometimes seems like SERIOUSLY, I have WAY more stuff I need to be doing... but with a dog you're trying to figure out, sometimes you've gotta try the "out there" stuff.

I hope you can figure something out about him! I know how frustrating it can be to love your pet and have him be the sweetest thing...and then have these THINGS they do that drive you nuts and you can't figure out how to fix!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

www.thehmmmschoolingmom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - May 01 2012 :  1:26:26 PM  Show Profile
I guess we are going to have to try the tether. I've watched him pee outside and sometimes it just about 5 drops. Seriously. I watched. When we are home, he is usually free to wander about and play with Teaka and Henry. Before you know it - he's gone and done it again. He even peed on Teaka's elevated food bowl! I didn't find it until the next day. Yummy. He is crated whenever we aren't home. I guess we will have to put him in the crate at bedtime too. I'll have to park him next to the bed or he will cry all night. I already get so little sleep - don't need that too.
Gosh, I sure am glad my Henry is a good dog. He doesn't do anything that would get him trouble. I wish he could live forever. He's getting up there - 11 now, I think. We adopted him in 2007.

Lora

Go to Top of Page

Bella
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Karen

USA
274 Posts

Posted - May 01 2012 :  4:42:27 PM  Show Profile
I agree with FarmMilkMama. He could have a stone or an infection. I had a cat that started peeing on everything and it was all due to a thyroid condition. So, I'd definitely have him checked by a vet to rule out any physical ailment. If it is physical, there are probably meds that will correct the problem. If not physical, then it must be behavioural.

"Just living is not enough, said the butterfly. One must have freedom, sunshine and a little flower." -Hans Christian Anderson
Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - May 01 2012 :  5:59:01 PM  Show Profile
I don't have any ideas for you Lora. I'm sorry you are going through this. I will say that as far as the crying at night in the crate I have had kittens that settle in perfectly and don't cry in a crate at night when I put a real big soft and snugly stuffed toy in there. Something they can really snuggle into.
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.

www.nmbarrelhorses.com
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - May 02 2012 :  12:52:25 AM  Show Profile
ok you gave me a clue when you mentioned Henry...is that another dog?...if so I would say there is your problem...you brought another male into the house who is trying to dominate his space over the other dog...to show the other dogs he is now there & he is claiming the space...if the other dog/s are bigger than him its the only way he can claim his space instead of the fighting that some times goes on while 2 male dogs get used to each other.....I had a male dog who was tiny compared to the other 3 females & he did the same thing even though he had no other male...My vet said this isn't uncommon with the smaller male breeds as they know they are smaller & need to big/top dog...even after 4 yrs he still won't quit doing it...at that time they didn't have the pee pads you could attach to them so I finally gave him to an older woman with no dogs & he never did it at her house.....he was top/only dog there......I hated doing it since I tend to keep animals for life but when he would mark our pillows in the bed it was time to find him some place he could be happy in......even the cleaning of the marking didn't work with him cause he would just go & mark something else...but that said doesn't mean you have to get rid of him...I like the tethered idea & maybe special healthy treats just for him as rewards might help....if he feels special it might change his behavior......also they can get crystals in their urine but there is a difference between marking & peeing...si if its peeing you should have that checked...you can tell by the smell..pee well smells like pee but marking has a more musky scent to it & be a bit oily plus there will not be as much of it as pee......Only reason I know this is my father trained dogs for the military & trained me when I was young how to work with dogs...Michele'

Chickens RULE!
hen #2622
theoldbatzfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - May 02 2012 :  07:37:06 AM  Show Profile
Yes, we have 2 other dogs and 2 cats. Order of arrival - Henry (male dog), Momo (male cat), Odie (male dog w/problem) and Albert (male cat), then Teaka (girl dog). All of the males are fixed - cats and dogs. Odie and Albert came in about the same time as babies. Odie has done this since the beginning. The vet told us if we had him neutered it should stop, but it didn't. He doesn't have any health problems like infections or stones. He pees and marks everywhere and poops in the basement. We keep a roll of toilet paper down there just for clean ups. I have used club soda and vinegar to get rid of any marks I find, but he still does it.
I think part of his problem is where he came from. Inbreeding - he's not a smart dog - really. We haven't been able to teach him any tricks like "shake", "speak", "sit", "stay". It's taken us almost 2 years to be able to get him in the crate on command. When he jumps up on you - (He only goes knee high)- he wants to be held, but when you lean over to pick him up, he flattens out and goes belly up (submissive). He ducks every time you reach down to pet him and he shakes like crazy when strange people come near. I think he was abused.

As for Henry - Henry doesn't really show alpha male behaviors. He's a very docile dog and generally just stays at my feet. Odie on the other hand, hoards toys, has minor food aggression (which we are working on) and wrestles Albert all the time. He is usually the instigator when it comes to play time with Teaka, who will then use him as a speed bump. (Think Jolly Green Giant to Little Sprout in size comparison).
I've told my husband something needs to be done or the dog goes. It's his dog. He's says a dog is a dog and he's not attached, but I think he his. I mean he baby talks to him! He's never done that with Henry and we've had him since 2007. I hate to have to find another home for him because, I too, tend to keep animals for life. That's part of being a pet owner. I just cannot have this dog, as cute as he is, peeing all over our new house. I had thought about him becoming an outside dog, but he's just not the type for that. He's too small and would freeze to death in the winter. He only weighs 10 lbs.

Odie slept in his crate last night - he whined a little, but we put him next to Teaka's crate and he settle down. He has a toy to chew on and a cushion to sleep on. I will put a blanket in there because he likes to be covered up. He had been sleeping with me, against my back under the covers. I am also going to work on a design for a belly band that he can't remove.

Lora

Go to Top of Page

mydakota
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

kristi
redmond oregon
USA
152 Posts

Posted - May 03 2012 :  9:58:39 PM  Show Profile
I would bet money on the "tether-or-crate-at-all-times" solution. It is similar to how I raise mine. I NEVER have accidents in the house.

HearthCricket Farm. Where the door is always open, and the coffee is always on.
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - May 05 2012 :  9:11:13 PM  Show Profile
The dogs and the cat are just beautiful. I love to see their pictures. Thanks. I'd have the boys checked out at the vet, and in the mean time, crate them for a while.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic I've asked before, but I really need some help. Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page