FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - May 02 2012 :  11:29:31 AM  Show Profile
Here goes....Last night my DH came in around 11:00 pm from a meeting in another town. We were chatting about the meeting and I finally said I had to go to bed. I asked him if he would put another load of laundry in the washer before he settle down. I think I was asleep before my head hit the pillow.
Some time later, I woke up in a panic - I smelled something burning! Or at least I thought I did. I got up and ran all over the house looking for smoke and flames - all without the lights on. The smell was strongest in the bedroom...I found my DH asleep on the sofa. I shook him frantically - saying "I smell smoke, Fire! Fire!" He rolled over and looked at me like I was nuts. He tried to assure me there wasn't a fire. I didn't buy it. I insisted he get up. He finally rolled over and said "The clutch went out on the washer. Go back to bed." I straightened up and smelled the air again. You know that burning rubber smell that happens when the belt on the sweeper goes? Well, THAT's the kind of smell I was getting.
This was about 2 am.
I finally went back to bed, realizing the smoke detectors had not been sounding when I panicked.
When we all awoke around 7 am he explained what happened. He went to the basement to put the laundry in like I had asked. He was back up stairs when he heard the washer quit filling and a buzzing noise. He listened for a couple of minutes, not realizing what the noise was. That's when he smelled the burning clutch smell. He ran down the stairs and shut off the washer. Too late - damage done. Thankfully its a rental and they fix it for free.
I should clarify that the washing machine is directly below our bedroom in the basement - hence the super strong smell in the bedroom.
Lora

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway" -John Wayne
www.CountryFriedAcres.etsy.com
www.farmallchick.blogspot.com
www.farmallchickphotos.blogspot.com

Edited by - FARMALLChick on May 02 2012 11:32:19 AM

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - May 02 2012 :  3:40:34 PM  Show Profile
Good thing your hubby did not fall asleep, or there could have been a fire. At least it will not cost you anything for a replacement.

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - May 02 2012 :  6:58:11 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh my gosh! I had that happen with my last washer! Only our washer was on the same floor as the rest of the house and we had that awesome black smoke haze in the hous for the rest of the day! Yuck! I am so so glad your house wasn't on fire! :)

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wff7Xpc/]

[/url]
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - May 02 2012 :  10:26:14 PM  Show Profile
Lora: I can understand why you were so concerned. I'm glad all was fine and it wasn't a fire.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

garyw965
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

Gary
Hemet CA
USA
51 Posts

Posted - May 04 2012 :  10:54:29 AM  Show Profile
Glad to hear that your husband caught it in time, no harm done. Also did you know that you should never leave a dryer going when no one is at home? More fires happen that way.
Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - May 04 2012 :  3:11:38 PM  Show Profile
Yes, I did know that, but thank you. Also, if your clothes are not drying properly when you do use the dryer, wash your lint trap. When you use fabric softener, it can build up on the trap even though you can see it. Here's how: Gently clear away stuck on lint. Run the lint trap under warm water. If the water pools on top of the lint trap, put a small amount of dish soap on the trap and gently spread it around with either your fingers or your dishcloth. Then rinse the trap under warm water again, the water should flow right through. Let it dry thoroughly before putting back in the dryer. While it is drying, clean the lint dryer slot in the dryer. There are several ways to do this, including buying a specially made brush. Get creative - old socks taped to a piece of garden hose works if the slot is wide enough.

Lora

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway" -John Wayne
www.CountryFriedAcres.etsy.com
www.farmallchick.blogspot.com
www.farmallchickphotos.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

leigh12354
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Leigh
Riverside CA
USA
19 Posts

Posted - May 13 2012 :  07:40:21 AM  Show Profile
Just read this thread. So glad your husband caught that washer. Didn't know you could wash the lint trap, never thought of it. Thanks for sharing!!
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - May 14 2012 :  2:42:16 PM  Show Profile
So glad your hubby caught it. We had a washer in a rental home once catch fire that way...it was really old, the rental was a one-year temporary house when we first got married, and I didn't catch it until the entire first floor was filled with smoke. By the time the fire department came, it had smoldered. (I was very young, and it was an old washer). I don't know if that can still happen on new ones, but I know others whose dryers caught their houses on fire). I also had a dishwasher to burn up inside. That one was new, and ended up later being on a recall. It was replaced no charge. When the replacement died, I picked another brand. No harm to what was inside, but it spooked me.

Glad all is okay. What a sweet hubby to put the laundry on for you!

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

mosquitocontrol
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

Regina
Fayetteville OH
USA
34 Posts

Posted - May 22 2012 :  2:10:09 PM  Show Profile
Glad to hear that everything is okay. You never want to leave a dryer running when you are not there either.
Go to Top of Page
  Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Funny story.... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page