Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 My Tiny Farm Garden Harvest- Canning!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic My Tiny Farm Garden Harvest- Canning! Next Topic  

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6521 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6521 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2012 :  4:23:38 PM  Show Profile
About a month ago, I was proud to share my very tiny garden of 1 Roma Tomato plant, Green Beans, Radishes, and Basil and Lemon Thyme. You may also remember the unexpected arrival of my Scarecrow too. The rascal!

But this tiny space really outdid itself and we went from this:

To an explosion of tomtatoes resulting in a canning project of Salsa!

I used a very simple recipe of tomatoes, onions, jalapeno peppers and fresh cilantro. My youngest daughter loves salsa and has been begging me to make her some. Her wish came true!

Meanwhile, the radishes ripened and so I made some homemade bread with the grain grinder, spread it with butter and added sliced radishes on top. Crunchy, spicy, and wonderful to eat!

I also added some fresh chopped lemon thyme to the softened butter to give it an extra perk.

We have continued to enjoy many suppers of my green beans. We still have flowers and beans coming even in these 90 degree Florida days!

Then last weekend, I purchased a half bushel of zipper cream peas!

And prepared them microwave style for the freezer.

And finally, I turned Florida peaches and blueberries into jam using Mary Jane's Chillover powder. It is delicious! And with her product, you can use less sugar and still get a firm product so it is healthier too.

And did you notice who is still taking ALL of the credit for the finished product?

I might add that he did NOT lift one straw arm to help! But his grin is so cutethat I can't help but enjoy his brazen sense of humor. Indeed!
The cute 4th of July plate on the top left of the stove shelf was made by my swap buddy, Connie Warren, in a very fun Patriotic Swap we did on the MJF Forum.
So, how is your garden going and have you had a chance to enjoy any of the fruits of your labors? I would love to hear about your successes!

Having fun down on My Tiny Farm!

Please stop by and share recipes. There is lots of summer and canning left to do! And I always have room at the kitchen table if you can stay awhile for some Tea or coffee!

Sugar Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

108 Posts

Pamela Jean
Sugarloaf Ca
USA
108 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2012 :  6:48:58 PM  Show Profile
Wow good job!

Pam

Stand for What's Right!

Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2012 :  7:38:40 PM  Show Profile
How wonderful to be canning and reaping harvest from the gardens this time of the year. We do not get our crops in until fall. Great job with all the food prep you did, and LOVE the scarecrow!!!!

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Emily Anna
True Blue Farmgirl

863 Posts

Emily
Fort Atkinson WI
USA
863 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2012 :  7:39:51 PM  Show Profile
Winnie,

How fun! It's always fun to see the fruits of your labor. I love, love, love that stove!!!

My dad has an amazing garden. He spends most of his free time out there and it shows! I don't spend nearly as much time out there, but I do help. So far we've frozen peas, rhubarb, strawberries, kohlrabi, spinach, and we have the first batch of broccoli to freeze. We bought a bushel of Georgia peaches from a company that brings them up and we canned them. We've been eating the lettuce and snap peas. So much more to come. It's fun to see everything grow and the different plants.

Love your pictures, and the salsa and jam looks amazing. That scarecrow is pretty sassy for taking all the credit! ;)

Emily
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2012 :  11:57:15 AM  Show Profile
Wow! How nice and such a wonderful bounty of good stuff.

Farmgirl #800
http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/

From my hands: http://pioneerpatchworkhomespun.blogspot.com/

From my Camera: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pioneerwomanatheart/
Go to Top of Page

Roe
True Blue Farmgirl

131 Posts

Rosemarie
Tavares Florida
USA
131 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2012 :  03:40:03 AM  Show Profile
How Fun to see all the canning you have been doing WONDERFUL.

Hugs,
Roe
Go to Top of Page

JerseyGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

181 Posts

Michele
Southern NJ
USA
181 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2012 :  04:47:39 AM  Show Profile
Everything look so yummy, Winnie! Is it just me or does everything just look better on that stove of yours??
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2012 :  05:51:35 AM  Show Profile
Beautiful!!! You have done such a good job. Congrats!! :-)

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

Marylyn
True Blue Farmgirl

316 Posts

Marylyn
Ellsinore MO
USA
316 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2012 :  06:03:03 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Winnie, how awesome to see all that you have accomplished!!! For some strange reason, I cannot post pictures here from my iPad! : (

My Queen Anne's Lace jelly turned out delicious and I can barely keep up with canning my salsa, green beans, and pickles...this a great time of the year! Oh, did I mention that I loved seeing your pics? Yea, I think I may have mentioned it! Hehehe...

Love,

Auntie M
Farmgirl # 4062
That which does not kill me, only serves to make me stronger!...unknown to me.
Go to Top of Page

Dorinda
True Blue Farmgirl

1023 Posts

Dorinda
St. Cloud Florida
USA
1023 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2012 :  6:58:23 PM  Show Profile
Good going Winnie, I have frozen tomatoes, okra and corn so far. Oh also made some peach jam from my peach trees. Love my garden....I am not that far from you...Maybe one day we can meet . Maybe on my way to Alabama to visit my sister who has a fabulous garden this year also...

Seize The Day!
Dorinda
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6521 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6521 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2012 :  12:15:48 PM  Show Profile
Dorinda~ Yes, maybe we can meet one day on your way up I-75 to Alabama! So, glad to hear that your garden has been successful too.

Winnie #3109
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic My Tiny Farm Garden Harvest- Canning! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page